Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SN Proposed Thoughts 2013

Posted by Trackin01 
SN Proposed Thoughts 2013
December 17, 2012 10:48AM
The season is halfway over and 2013 is beginning. Are there any proposed thoughts out there from players who want to see an upgrade or change in Southern Nationals?
I for one would like to see many new ideas and upgrades along with many players that I have read about on here.
Mike Kernan has implemented the SN Rating System. He is putting lots of work there to make it happen.
Eric Day is posting information regarding the happenings of SN such as elections, BOD minutes, and more.
John Kittrell is uploading results as fast as his work will allow him.

What I have gathered is this:
1 New Website is being requested
-Advertising, Sponsorships, News Articles, Pictures, etc . . .

2 I would like to see promotion towards the players like scheduled clinics at an SN Championship. Can SN get Cam Colglaizer or Matt Orum to host a clinic at the SN Am Championships and pay them for their time?

That is all for now, but would like to see what others have to add...........................
Re: SN Proposed Thoughts 2013
December 17, 2012 11:08AM
REPOST your original list.....from 2 years ago...apparently all those graet ideas have been forgotten.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
December 17, 2012 11:17AM
frzbman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> REPOST your original list.....from 2 years
> ago...apparently all those graet ideas have been
> forgotten.
>
> JABBA

Maybe they have been forgotten b/c nobody was all that interested in them. Thats why I didn't post a huge list here today. I want to see if anyone else has ideas other than me. But your right, they were great ideas forgotten............
December 17, 2012 11:31AM
Idea #3

SN Tournament Director Report: sent to you via email to upload your results. This excel format will calculate the players points for you. Also, an option to upload your own Tournament Results on the website through a temporary admin password given once you sanction your event through Southern Nationals.
This would be such breeze to have for TD's who are wanting their results posted ASAP.
-This gives players a chance to see results posted quickly
-This gives TD's an oportunity to post live or same day results of their events.
December 17, 2012 11:41AM
really like number 3
Anonymous User
December 17, 2012 12:12PM
I'm not sure that it is possible to write an Excel formula that would automatically calculate the SN points. But I would love for you to prove me wrong.

For faster uploading of tournament results you should send your excel file to me at underparmike@yahoo.com. I have been granted the magical powers to upload the results and I'm on here every day just about.

I completely agree about the new website. But that's above my paygrade.
December 17, 2012 12:25PM
Bluff Magee Wrote:
> I'm not sure that it is possible to write an Excel
> formula that would automatically calculate the SN
> points. But I would love for you to prove me
> wrong.
>
> For faster uploading of tournament results you
> should send your excel file to me at
> underparmike@yahoo.com. I have been granted the
> magical powers to upload the results and I'm on
> here every day just about.
>
> I completely agree about the new website. But
> that's above my paygrade.

Your exactly right Mike, you are the man when it comes to getting things done and we all should be thankful of your efforts. However, idea #3 is Long Term and I was thinking about what the time when Gilligan was posting results in a timely fashion, but all the sudden......quit. Not to say you would just up and quit, but who knows if John K. will be sent off somewhere and you have something come up to where you can't post them effectively either.
I was thinking it would be a great long term solution for the future of TD's results.

As far as a formula.......good question. Excel might be able to handle a some sort of formula whether it be as complicated or simple.
Anonymous User
December 17, 2012 12:40PM
If wishes were fishes we'd all have a flounder.
December 17, 2012 10:43PM
I think it would be a good idea to have a minimum standard for a tournament to be considered a SN tournament. This would allow players to travel around the region and not have to worry if it would be worth their while. I am comfortable with the standards coming from the board or input from the players. The basics I think could just be a commitment to have bathrooms available, so much water availible through out the course, and payout percentage standards. Great tournaments are made known now through word of mouth which doesn't help new players. If there where levels of endorsement and not just a minimum standard new players would know which tournament where the ones not to be missed.
December 18, 2012 07:58AM
Dylan Schultz Wrote:
> I think it would be a good idea to have a minimum
> standard for a tournament to be considered a SN
> tournament. This would allow players to travel
> around the region and not have to worry if it
> would be worth their while. I am comfortable with
> the standards coming from the board or input from
> the players. The basics I think could just be a
> commitment to have bathrooms available, so much
> water availible through out the course, and payout
> percentage standards. Great tournaments are made
> known now through word of mouth which doesn't help
> new players. If there where levels of endorsement
> and not just a minimum standard new players would
> know which tournament where the ones not to be
> missed.

Dylan- I proposed this option a while back and was met with negative responses. I wanted to see a SNTour for the big events, I wanted a sructure of medium to large events based on added cash and added players packs to amateurs. However, some players didn't see that option viable for the TD's to follow. It was said "This would take away from some events especially those new events just starting out"
There are many events out there that just sanction with SN to have a tournament. No added cash, No players packs, nothing special....just to have an event. Which is great in my opinion and gives the course a chance to be showcased, but there are other players out there who travel and want to go places where they can make their money back for the expenses.
I would still like to see SN go to a Gold Level, Silver Level, and Bronze Level of events. Which could be based on a minimum added cash and added players packs to Amateur players. Will it reach that level.........who knows. I say: "Out with the old and in with the new" time to move forward and quit spinning our wheels!
December 18, 2012 08:41AM
"Out with the old and in with the new" time to move forward and quit spinning our wheels! AMEN!!!!!! and thats coming from an old guy; it's time folks to take the next step AMEN!!!!! again!!!!
December 18, 2012 11:55AM
I like the idea of different levels but until that happens I think SN should communicate to the TD's a minimum standard if they are going to be considard SN events. If we want this sport and series to grow we must consider those that are not participating is great numbers. The juniors and females. I went to a tournament that had no port a lets available. This wasn't a very wooded park so it was very difficult for a man to find a place to use the bathroom and impossible for a female. Safety should always be considered. I understand that it should be the responsibility on the individual to stay hydrated but with the weather and leanth of courses it is hard to carry enough water for a whole round. When you play a lot you can find ways to do what it takes but we want to be able to take care of those that are playing a tournament for the first time.
Dex
December 20, 2012 12:30PM
Dylan has very valid points

Doug, I like the idea of levels, but if it goes by money,added cash, sponsors ect...

would a club that pays for port-o-lets, park fee's and S.N. fee's, provides meals, has give aways

BUT does not pass this price to the players, and still pay out 100%

would these monies go toward the value of the tourney?

Dex
December 20, 2012 02:37PM
Dex Wrote:
> Dylan has very valid points
>
> Doug, I like the idea of levels, but if it goes by
> money,added cash, sponsors ect...
>
> would a club that pays for port-o-lets, park fee's
> and S.N. fee's, provides meals, has give aways
>
>
> BUT does not pass this price to the players, and
> still pay out 100%
>
>
> would these monies go toward the value of the
> tourney?
>
> Dex

With SN going about doing different things than the PDGA, they could make up their own rules and standardize it how they please. PDGA standards are to add the cash to the Pro Divisions and Players packs to the Amateurs. Added cash doesn't mean your port a jons, meals, parks fees, or pdga fees. Thats a side expense to your event after you have agree to cover the standard fee.
However, SN could and would simply add all added value to an event like it already does and calculate it as added cash. From what I have seen, the added cash value to the SNPC and SNAC is not the added cash to the divisions, but players packs, ctps, ace pots, raffle winnings, ring of fire winnings and then it becomes top 20 PDGA event of the year. Thats a whole ball of wax there on issues. I tried to add a ctp winnings of $200 once to a guy and got a call saying I couldn't add that cash to his winnings under the PDGA guidelines.......so I took it off.

SN does a true value to events when you add ALL the winnings to what someone has won, but it's shown as cash on a players stats.
PDGA shows the actual cash value of what a person takes home in winnings as cash, but of course this is not always the case. Just in the Major NT and A-Tier events.
Dex
December 21, 2012 09:52AM
Thanks Doug

Happy Holidays
Dex
December 22, 2012 12:27AM
Doug,

I'll start a new thread explaining something related to the topic of improving/changing the SN that sort of just "came our way."

It was discussed at the last SN BOD meeting and is mentioned in the minutes but I feel it warrants discussion by the SN players and TDs on one of the higher traffic areas of the site.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013