Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
SNPC format question - USDGC spots
January 07, 2013 10:23AM
The 3 courses to be played at the SNPC this year are going to be Lake Lowndes (long tees), Lake Lowndes Gold course, and Propst park.

Because the gold course sits on top of the regular course, both pools can not play those 2 courses at the same time.

However, I would like to challenge the Open players and let them play the gold course for 2 rounds, which would make it impossible for the B pool to play the same layout as the A pool, which would mean that anybody in the B pool would not be able to qualify for the USDGC spots that will be up for grabs.

So my question is for those who are planning to play in any division other than Open, how important is it to you that you at least have the opportunity to qualify for one of the 5 USDGC spots?
Re: SNPC format question - USDGC spots
January 07, 2013 10:40AM
I think that is the TDs call. As long as the players know well in advance that the pools will be playing different formats it shouldn't be a problem. The master/grandmasters that are playing mainly for a usdgc spot will have to make a decision which is more important, playing in their division or playing for a spot in the usdgc in the open division. This will only affect a handful of players in my opinion.

JOhn k
January 07, 2013 03:19PM
I'm guessing there will still be enough propagators to rate both pools too. I'm not saying ratings SHOULD be used to determine the spots, just that in theory they COULD be if it wouldn't violate some rule I don't know about. Does the USDGC dictate the selection method?
Anonymous User
January 07, 2013 07:04PM
Jazz here are the official qualifying procedures for the 2013 USDGC, where the answer to your question is found:

[www.usdgc.com]

Clayton, there were only 77 total players at the SNPC last year in Mobile. Maybe if the turnout is that low or lower everyone can play in the same pool?
January 08, 2013 06:41AM
I agree with Bluff. you could play as many as 90 on that course at one time.

Just an idea... have 2 pools and play prospt park and LL Gold on saturday in each division. Then Bring everyone back to LL Gold on Sunday early AM (7AM) and have tee times. Have groups of 4 going off every 11 mins . If you had 120 players it would take 5.5 hours to get everyone playing. So lead card would tee off around 12:30. Done with 3rd round at 3:30-4. Now I don't know what you had planned as far as a fourth round or skins but you could still squeeze in a small skins match. Just one of the few options you will have to be able to get everyone on the same courses.
January 08, 2013 12:11PM
I was originally thinking of doing something like that Zack, but when I asked about only playing 3 rounds at the championship a few months back, it was overwhelmingly in favor of playing 4 rounds, that 3 rounds was not enough for a championship event

Mike, yes, if it doesn't fill up past 90 players, then I would do the 1 pool and it would be easy

but I have to plan on getting more than 90 players and having 2 pools, so just trying to get different opinions before making a final decision on the format
January 08, 2013 06:20PM
Mobile was so low due to weather....been awhile since a hurricane hit columbus, ms jmo.

2011 Adv Points Champion
2011 Am player of the year
January 08, 2013 06:33PM
It is more important to play for the spots than to have four rounds. What is the par for LL Gold?? Isn't it more than 54??
Anonymous User
January 08, 2013 07:18PM
You know what Robby you just might be right about that. I almost missed that tournament myself because of Isaac. Let's hope your right anyway.

Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to move the SNPC to the spring. Isn't that a better idea Clayton?
January 08, 2013 08:55PM
I was advised to stick with the SN guidelines and have a minimum of 3 1/2 rounds, regardless of what par was for the course, when I asked about it several months ago.

I tend to agree with what JohnK said above.
January 09, 2013 12:33AM
OK... so Propst and LL long tees on Saturday then Propst and LL Gold on Sunday... four rounds and same tees. Right? You really only have two courses but one has two layouts.. correct??
January 09, 2013 12:41AM
It is not fair to force a player to choose between a SN title and a chance to win a spot for USDGCs- it has never been that way, why wood you make it that way now???? That is unfair and braking from all past precedent.
January 09, 2013 05:56AM
I played masters last yr and won usdg spot. Would love to have that opportunity again. Also there were only 13 masters players and 1st payed $1200. Would love to have that opportunity again too.
January 09, 2013 10:32AM
If I understand correctly, there are really two (2) severable issues arising from having 2 pools and the USDGC "identical days ... same course layout" rule. (Thanks Bluff)

One is the desire to "challenge the Open players", apparently more than the other divisions. If the TD decides that Open should play harder holes than the other divisions then only Open can qualify no matter how many pools, courses or holes are played.

The second issue is the third round with the forth half round. If you have 4 full rounds - no problem. Otherwise only Open can get the spots.

Maybe I'm just not understanding but it doesn't seem like the fact that the LL Gold sits on top of the regular and long is actually the problem at all.

Edited 7 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2013 10:46AM by Discjazz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013