Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What do you think of the Prodigy Disc

Posted by Dex 
Dex
What do you think of the Prodigy Disc
January 30, 2013 09:12AM
Now that most of the hype has simmered down, and the disc are out there (D-1 D4)

What do you think of the disc? Do you find them similar to other brands (1st run Nukes, maybe) just curious

Plastic is very nice, throws into the wind very well, from what I saw yesterday (it was crazy windy at Flanacher)

Just wondering what other players think, molds seem to be very clean, comfortable disc in the hand

just my observations, think they will be a player in the market, but I also thought my Saints were going to be in the Super Bowl

would like to hear from the disc gurus out there, who know all the disc and makers

Thanks
Dex
Re: What do you think of the Prodigy Disc
January 30, 2013 10:35AM
The glide on these things are amazing, they go forever. I'm a fan of the D4

Lloyd Wilkins --J.U.D.G.E.S--

CHECK US OUT ON FACEBOOK
[www.facebook.com]

Check out the new Website
[www.jacksondiscgolf.org]
January 30, 2013 12:35PM
I have only thrown my D1 a few times but from what I can tell this disc will go FAR! Very clean release out of my hand every time, even on forehands. Its flight is similar to a wraith but a lot faster. And the plastic is the best feeling plastic Ive ever felt.

Mississippi State Disc Golf

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2013 12:35PM by Ethan.
Anonymous User
January 30, 2013 01:29PM
Jury's still out, but I was throwing them in the wind yesterday too and I liked them better on a windy day than on a calm one. They don't go any further than any other company's speed 13s though. They fly as far as a Cannon or Destroyer or Katana or Nuke, but not further. Not sure how well the plastic will hold up either, haven't had them long enough to judge the durability.
jcb
January 31, 2013 09:37AM
I have been throwing the D4 for a couple of weeks now and I am loving it. I am getting great distance with them and I love how smooth they come out of your hand. Can't wait until I can buy a stack of them in the mid 160's, which is what I normally throw. My D4 is 172 and I am really impressed that I am getting the distance I am in a heavier weight than what I normally like to throw.
January 31, 2013 12:42PM
Prodigy announced on their Facebook page that some of their disc were released overweight and therefore out of PDGA compliance.
January 31, 2013 04:50PM
Prodigy Discs
Prodigy Disc Announcement

Prodigy Disc would like to make vendors and competitors aware that a limited number of overweight D1 and D4 discs were recently released. Although these discs may vary in weight by only a few grams, they are not in compliance with PDGA technical standards and thus cannot be used in a PDGA sanctioned event. Fortunately this oversight was discovered early and only affected a very limited number of Prototypes. Prodigy has since taken the necessary measures to insure that all disc weights will be in conformance with PDGA standards moving forward.

Thank you for your support.

Sincerely,
Prodigy Discs

Prodigy Discs
Prodigy estimates that ~200 to 400 D1 discs were produced at 3+ grams over the PDGA weight limit of 174.3 grams. Prodigy is willing to replace overweight discs sent to vendors or already sold to players. Prodigy has been working with the PDGA to establish quality control measures that will ensure compliance with PDGA standards in the future.

The PDGA recognizes that some players prefer to throw discs that exceed the PDGA weight limit. But if a disc thrown by a player is confirmed by the TD to be over its legal weight, the owner is subject to a penalty ranging from 2 throws to disqualification depending on the severity of the infraction. Please think twice about knowingly using overweight discs so we can level the playing field for all players in PDGA events.
January 31, 2013 08:40PM
This sucks because if someone questions the legality of your disc you can't throw it in a tournament anymore unless you have a scale to prove its legal
January 31, 2013 11:22PM
Ok so I threw my D1 a few more times today, I was actually able to get a few good pulls on it. The flight is very similar to my *D destroyers, so it does fly pretty far.. i accidentally threw it with the nose up a few times and it still went as far as my destroyers.

Only downside I see to this particular mold of the D1 is that it is not that stable (especially being their most stable driver). Threw one shot in a slight headwind and it turned and almost rolled on me.

February 01, 2013 08:09AM
D4 is going in the bag. Not sure aboout D1s yet.
February 02, 2013 05:47PM
Sounds like all it will do for me is turn over

Terry Zeringue
February 02, 2013 06:27PM
I tried my D1 and D4 out today. The D1 flew well with a dependable finish to the left. So far I've had problems figuring out my release on the D4. Either I'm turning it over to much or I'm releasing it too much on a hyzer. I'm going to have to work on it. Both are fast and I can see them finding a place in my bag. I just have to work on the growing pains of learning a new disc. I like how the plastic felt though.
Anonymous User
February 03, 2013 08:09PM
If max PDGA weight is 174.3 grams how can you throw a 175g driver or 180g roc? Prob a dumb question but it does make sense to ask...
February 03, 2013 08:12PM
Max weight depends on the diameter. Bigger diameter, higher the max weight allowed. It's the disc diameter in centimeters times 8.3 to give the max weight allowed in grams.
Anonymous User
February 03, 2013 10:40PM
Thank you Chuck for that official pDGA fun fact.
February 04, 2013 09:05AM
from what I saw of Prodigy discs this weekend.... They are horrible in a head wind and they do not float...LMAO.
February 04, 2013 10:18AM
The D1 is just as fast as the speed 14 Legacy cannon, it's got a lil bit of a harder hook to the left, but it's easier to turn over
February 20, 2013 02:34AM
I've known a lot of Prodigy disc but D4 is the most understable distance driver of all the new Prodigy line. I'm sure that intermediate players can always play the right disc just like D4 and for those golfers with moderate arm speed.
February 20, 2013 08:29AM
I have put the prodigy disc into my bag, but the driver I am throwing is the Dynamic Discs, trespass. better than prodigy
February 20, 2013 11:13AM
Noting flies as far as the Legay Cannon. Period. If you want more distance the Cannon is the answer.
February 22, 2013 11:48AM
I actually have all three discs Bernie, the prodigy D1, the legacy cannon, and the Dynamic Trespass. I get the most distance out of the trespass
February 22, 2013 11:55AM
I can't get my Cannon to fly at all, I think it is the rim that gives me trouble with it. Although I get good distance with the Rampage. Right now I use D4 for my long wide open drives. The D1 is good but it wouldn't replace my Destroyers.
February 22, 2013 12:54PM
Eric Day Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't get my Cannon to fly at all, I think it is
> the rim that gives me trouble with it. Although I
> get good distance with the Rampage. Right now I
> use D4 for my long wide open drives. The D1 is
> good but it wouldn't replace my Destroyers.

My D1 is slowly replacing my *D destroyer. The flight is similar and it costs about $15-20 cheaper for a brand new one lol

February 22, 2013 01:14PM
Ethan Wrote:
> Eric Day Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I can't get my Cannon to fly at all, I think it
> is
> > the rim that gives me trouble with it. Although
> I
> > get good distance with the Rampage. Right now I
> > use D4 for my long wide open drives. The D1 is
> > good but it wouldn't replace my Destroyers.
>
>
> My D1 is slowly replacing my *D destroyer. The
> flight is similar and it costs about $15-20
> cheaper for a brand new one lol

Have you tried to new Star Destroyers, They did away with the Vulcan top on the and they are very close to the pre Avery ones. Both mine are *DS with a two color stamp.
February 24, 2013 10:59PM
Eric Day Wrote:
> Ethan Wrote:
> -----
> > Eric Day Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I can't get my Cannon to fly at all, I think
> it
> > is
> > > the rim that gives me trouble with it.
> Although
> > I
> > > get good distance with the Rampage. Right now
> I
> > > use D4 for my long wide open drives. The D1
> is
> > > good but it wouldn't replace my Destroyers.
> >
> >
> > My D1 is slowly replacing my *D destroyer. The
> > flight is similar and it costs about $15-20
> > cheaper for a brand new one lol
>
> Have you tried to new Star Destroyers, They did
> away with the Vulcan top on the and they are very
> close to the pre Avery ones. Both mine are *DS
> with a two color stamp.

Yea I got a new Destroyer not too long ago. It flies nice, but the plastic does not feel as good as the old star plastic did. The new plastic is a little stiffer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013