Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

points are wrong

Posted by Keith Bodin 
points are wrong
February 09, 2013 04:41PM
Who do I need to talk to about my points? The stats page says I have only 17 points in Advance Masters, but I should have 31.
11th Annual Late Summer Fest 6
2012 Halloween Howler 11
Back Bay Battle 14
total 31

"You are truly one miserable human being."
Alxtgr

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2013 05:07PM by Keith Bodin.
Anonymous User
Re: points are wrong
February 09, 2013 06:13PM
Check it now Keith. I fixed it.

I know you won't believe this but Hogman doesn't know what he's doing all the time, and this time when he posted the Back Bay Battle results he didn't update the stats like Kittrell taught us all how to do.

It's like the SN Cup, he really tried hard to get it right, but he just came up short LOL
February 09, 2013 06:27PM
John k didnt teach me how to update stats Kernan. Thanks again. Just trying to get stuff posted.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
February 09, 2013 07:53PM
thanks guys!

Alxtgr
February 09, 2013 10:06PM
My points are wrong and my name is misspelled in the results from Groundhog Grappler. Someone please correct this. Thanks.

Chuck Leggett

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2013 10:17PM by runchuckrun.
February 10, 2013 12:08PM
Points fixed....by me. Thanks Kernan. Try again.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
Anonymous User
February 10, 2013 12:22PM
Bout time!

LOL
February 10, 2013 02:13PM
My name turned in for the grappler was Matt Gardner. For my points to add up right it should have been Matthew Gardner
Anonymous User
February 10, 2013 04:03PM
Head maybe you can get Hogman to email me the excel file for the Grappler and the H-Burg Life Bowl so I can do the ratings and I'll fix your points while I'm at it? That Hogman, always keeping SN results and SN tags to himself LOL
February 10, 2013 04:24PM
It was fixed matthew.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
February 10, 2013 04:56PM
I didn't mean to start a chit storm with this thread.....

Alxtgr
February 10, 2013 04:58PM
Always will be with Kernan as it pertains to me.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
Anonymous User
February 10, 2013 05:16PM
LOL you're the one who named a dumb SN Cup rule after me because you apparently love the abuse.

So you're too bitter to send me those excel files Hogman? Guess even the SN BoD doesn't care about ratings. I remember the old days when Hogman used to talk about how the SN needed ratings but now he's too bitter to send an email to help get them done! LoL the curse of the SN BoD strikes again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2013 05:24PM by Bluff Magee.
February 10, 2013 05:54PM
The SN does need ratings. What excel sheets do you need? The template I use has three different sheets.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
Anonymous User
February 10, 2013 06:39PM
Bluff Magee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Head maybe you can get Hogman to email me the
> excel file for the Grappler and the H-Burg Life
> Bowl so I can do the ratings and I'll fix your
> points while I'm at it? That Hogman, always
> keeping SN results and SN tags to himself LOL
February 10, 2013 07:05PM
SN dont need no stinking ratings until you can FIX the system used to calculate them.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
Anonymous User
February 10, 2013 08:05PM

Jabba why don't you tell your ladies to come down and help me fix the system then?

Will your ladies tell me what's wrong with the system or do you want to explain?
February 10, 2013 11:45PM
Not sure if this is where to say or not, but the points for the Winter Bowl at Chickasabogue were never posted on the results page
February 10, 2013 11:57PM
No one has gotten them.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
February 11, 2013 03:05AM
Hmmmm, curious
February 11, 2013 10:17AM
Bluff when the numbers for an individual includes everyone from the entire tourney then the results are skewed. Plain and simple.
When you mathematicians can figure how to rate me against the course then let me know...using ALL propagators no longer allows you to single an individual out with out a sense of unfairness. Even using your skewed sense of math there are flaws...here is an example
Looking at your latest Grappler numbers
Cam had hottest 1st round you gave him a 1008
Using the 10 pts per stroke then I should have scored a 998 but ended with a 997
Now 1 imaginary point is not a big deal but the flaws are obviously there .

Another example would be if say you shoot a 56 both rounds on the exact same layout
Yet coming in with different ratings ... Due only to what the OTHER players scored on those same 2 rounds.
That doesn't seem like a good system IMO
But it happens... A lot ...at that point it's no longer MY rating, it's just some made up bs
But it's all good keep on wasting your time with it most everyone else loves having an their own special made up imaginary number.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
Anonymous User
February 11, 2013 11:13AM
Jabba while I agree that the ratings are never exact, over time they are much more reliable than you believe. While a system could be developed that would be based strictly on the rating of each particular course, it wouldn't necessarily be as accurate. What if it's a course like the Rez with multiple pin positions? You'd have to have all tournaments play the exact same pin placements that you have data for. And what if the wing is blowing 20 mph? Would you agree that would make hhe course play harder? How would you account for wind or rain in the course-based system? And compiling course data like you recommend would be quite time consuming.

I completely agree that ratings should never be used for determining a player's division, or for tiebreakers or handicaps like the performance edition USDGC debacle which made a complete and utter mockery of the sport when the fools at Innova got greedy and wanted to drop the payout.

Allow me to explain the two particular problems you pointed out. Ratings are not always 10 points per throw, and that is because all courses are not the same level of difficulty. The ten points per throw "standard" you cite is based on the course being rated around an SSA of 54, or put another way, when a score of 54 is rated about 1000. On courses where a 1000 rated round equals a score lower than 54, the rating points will be greater than 10, and on courses where a 1000 rated round equals greater than 54 the points per throw will be less. This ratings compression is needed to account for easy courses where Ams can shoot low scores. In order for the math to work and have the proper separation of ratings scores, more points are given per throw.

And the other problem you cite is the same score on the same course getting different ratings. This can happen due to wind or other weather conditions or simply that players often shoot better on a course that they just played in the morning round. Obviously ratings aren't an exact science, but not being linked to the courses allows ratings to somewhat adjust for weather. The thing is, the ratings are a great predictor of how a group of players will score, despite the flaws. The more data you have, the more accurate the ratings.

SN Ratings are completely free, and they will not be used for determining divisions, so why not enjoy them for what they are, which is entertainment? Do you want your own SN Ratings page Jabba? Are you feeling left out?
February 11, 2013 12:34PM
NO Bluff I do not need my page or any page that will reflect this bogus method of trying to find that all imaginary number.
If a player shoots a 54 both rounds there should be NO reason to change that individuals number/rating.You can blame the rain or the wind, like you usually do when ya lose, but I see no difference in how the math would/should work. a 54 is still a 54. Rain or shine.
and thru your hard work and efforts I can already find my imaginary useless and baseless number.
Like I said its all good please continue for the masses seem to enjoy their imaginary rating.
BUT if you CAN find MY rating independent of what others do or do not do I would at least look at it.

Hell give you another scenario what if player A has the best 1st round say a 48 then goes out at lunch and gets wasted off his a$$ and shoots a 74 the 2nd round....that would most definetely effect EVERYONES rating for that round ...using the present ratings methods....FAIR???
I dont think so but apparently everyone else thinks that's alright. Except the BIG time touring sponsored PROs who often quit tourneys so their ratings wont reflect poor personal performance.
Who needs the wind and/or rain???

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
Anonymous User
February 11, 2013 05:55PM
The wasted guy shooting a 48 then a 74 won't affect the ratings all that much unless it's a really small tournament like the Largemouth Tour or a Team Minority event.

While some tournaments seem to be rated higher than average and some lower, over time the mathematical anomalies smooth out and you get a decent average. I used to have my doubts about the accuracy of the ratings myself until I started computing them and I find that most players will shoot within 20 points of their rating at any tournament.

Just remember this Jabba:
April 30, 2013 07:20PM
Hello. My name is misspelled in the results for the Southside Smackdown IX Advanced Division. My name was spelled Jeff Melgasa and its Jeff Melgosa. I saw this post and figured I would give it a try hear in getting it fixed. HAHA. If someone could help correcting this it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 8 points is 8 points ya know. lol

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2013 07:22PM by jeff m.
April 30, 2013 07:40PM
Jeff,
Send Zach Hudson (hudd on the forum) a pm and he will fix it without editing/deleting any of the forum post..

Alxtgr
April 30, 2013 07:55PM
jeff m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello. My name is misspelled in the results for
> the Southside Smackdown IX Advanced Division. My
> name was spelled Jeff Melgasa and its Jeff
> Melgosa. I saw this post and figured I would give
> it a try hear in getting it fixed. HAHA. If
> someone could help correcting this it would be
> greatly appreciated. Thanks. 8 points is 8 points
> ya know. lol

Message sent to the guys who post results.
April 30, 2013 09:13PM
in the pdga ratings, if a player shoots 60 or more points lower than their rating, then they are no longer counted as a propagator

this is to account for cases where a player may get injured, show up late or in doug's case, get wasted and shoot abnormally lower than their rating predicts they should

and there is no way a 54 on a course in calm conditions and a 54 on the same exact course in 20+ mph winds should be the same rating - the 2nd scenario is noticeably more difficult and the ratings should reflect that, as they currently do
April 30, 2013 10:57PM
My name was misspelled from the Back Bay Battle. My name is Mike Lafleur, but it is misspelled as 'Lefleur'. It's a whopping 6 points....
I sent some PMs to someone, I can't remember who, but it never got fixed. Since people are getting their issues fixed, I figured I'd post in here.
Thanks
MikeL/who-dat
May 14, 2013 04:08PM
please combine my name on the player stats..Keith Bodin and KEITH BODIN

Alxtgr
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013