Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What is Your favorite 2 round doubles format?

Posted by Eric Day 
What is Your favorite 2 round doubles format?
February 23, 2013 01:29PM
Just looking for info for an upcoming event, and thought I would see what people enjoy playing the most.

Vote here... [docs.google.com]
Re: What is Your favorite 2 round doubles format?
February 24, 2013 05:50PM
Best shot doubles! If it ain't, why fix it?
February 24, 2013 09:27PM
The alternate best score we played at walldoxey doubles today was pretty cool and definitely different..
February 25, 2013 02:32PM
I'll tell you one I do not like: alt. shot.
February 25, 2013 02:39PM
I think I fixed it. It should take responses again.
February 25, 2013 02:41PM
michael-lonewolf Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The alternate best score we played at walldoxey
> doubles today was pretty cool and definitely
> different..

I like the sound of that, I might have to try this out.
February 25, 2013 02:46PM
Best shot.
February 25, 2013 03:31PM
Alt. does not show both team members true skills though out an entire 18 hole round. Best shot is the best way of showcasing each teams members total ability on a course. And it is the only double event that I will attend from now on. I have never enjoyed Alt, or any other doubles,other than best shot. 666 is by far the worst of them.
February 25, 2013 03:40PM
Best shot does not showcase who the best team is. It showcases which team has the best player. MattO could shoot -14 with a novice or possibly -16 with another pro. That doesn't tell you who the best team is. For a 2-round doubles tournament, best shot is certainly the most fun though.
February 25, 2013 04:51PM
That analogy make zero sense. Yes Matty could shoot -14 by himself, but he would be playing with another pro player. His team would also play against a team that has two pro players as well. Depending on who is playing on that other team, his team could get beat. He may be the better player of his team, but there still is the other guy that can still show his skills and may also have a better day that day than Matty. Best shot Double= BEST
February 25, 2013 05:11PM
Best Shot has just gotten old to me I guess, I like a challenge. At least in worst shot, alternate, and combined score, both players have to contribute to the final score. 6-6-6 give you a little bit of everything. Keep the Opinions coming.
February 25, 2013 07:14PM
I have always felt best and worst shot is best. In best shot one person can carry a team especially with a partner like Matt,but worst shot makes both players throw good or smart thought about shots.
February 25, 2013 07:39PM
Best Shot is basically a test of who has the best #1 player...
Worst Shot is basically a test of who has the best #2 player...
Alternate Shot is the best format for testing the team as a whole...
Obviously, there are other factors into each of these formats.

Best Score is stupid.
Combined Score is stupid.
They both don't put much value on team play.

I like alternate shot but it kind of sucks for a 2 round tournament because you only get to throw half the round. I think it is good for 3+ round doubles tournaments.

I do like worst shot but it takes so long that it can be difficult to play for an entire round.

If time is not an issue, I like best shot/worst shot. If time is an issue, I like best shot/best shot.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
February 25, 2013 07:46PM
Best shot lets your team score "the best you can be" as a team that round that day.

Best score format gives the next "best you can be" but takes a lot longer.

Combined score format is the most objectively verifiable way to quantify the best team.

But really, what does it mean for the best two individual players to gang up on all us other weaklings and prove they are the best team cause they individually played the best. They can stand on their own and do that in singles. This is a doubles team event. It shouldn't be about picking the best partner. It should be about being the best partnership. The best and most fun way to do that is with best shot. It's "the best you can be".

Now if you just want to have a day of "the worst you can be" or comparing individual skill with a doubles overlay, go right ahead. I might join you. I've done plenty of dumber things.
February 26, 2013 12:49PM
2 rounds of Modified Best Shot is the most fun while still requiring that both players contribute to the end result.... PDGA has been using it for almost 15 years now with great results, but for some reason SNs are afraid to give it a try. Maybe someday will will move forward... or maybe not!
February 27, 2013 09:52AM
Alternate Best Score worked well at Wall Doxey I thought

It is like Alternate Shot, but both players get to play every shot. However, the pressure is still on both players to make good shots in order to score well. If one player makes a good drive, the other player has to make the putt, etc. If the first player makes a bad drive, the pressure is on the 2nd player to make a good shot in order for the team to score well. If both players make reasonable, but not great drives, there is strategy on figuring out who goes for it and who lays up, etc. Everything you want in a doubles round, while testing both players, but still feeling like you are playing as a team without 1 player just dominating.

Combined and Average score rounds aren't really doubles formats. They do test both players, but you are basically just playing singles and hoping your partner players well. There is no strategy or team work involved.

Best shot is fun, especially on a challenging course. However, it is not nearly as effective on an easier course in my opinion.
February 28, 2013 06:25AM
By far 666 it will make you or break you it makes you use your head and play the game
March 01, 2013 11:11AM
I voted 666.

As Clayton pointed out - I would prefer two rounds of best shot on a challenging course. Sometimes, the course is just enough of a challenge...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 39
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013