Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Doubles Format Idea
March 07, 2013 08:27AM
The favorite doubles format discussion and a round of Alt Shot got me thinking about a way to mix Best Shot with Alt Shot and maybe end up with something that plays faster than Best Shot but doesn't suck as bad as Alt Shot. Anyway the idea is to use the alternate shot format but allow the second player to throw as an option. However, the twist is that if the second shot is taken, it must be used. My thinking was that if you get a shot that you like, you move on to the next shot and the other player throws. But, if you want to try to do better, the second player can throw with the potential penalty that if his shot is worse, you are stuck with it. The players would alternate on every throw on a hole, including the second shot. Tee shots would start over so that each player throws 9 tee shots. The decision whether to take the second shot must be made from the lie from which the first shot is taken (i.e., no inspection of whether the disc is OB or if the lie is good, etc).

Example (375' hole with wood left, water right):

Player A throws off tee 1 (team chooses to use first shot)
Player B thows approach into edge of woods (team chooses to throw second shot)
Player A throws second approach shot that bounces off basket and rolls into water.
Player B holes out from lie at point of relief near water
Player B throws off tee 2.

The primary problem with Best Shot, in my very limited experience, is the speed of play (although it is my favorite format). When the first player's drive from 320' lands under the basket, leaving a drop in putt, the odds of the second player acing the hole are pretty slim, so why wait for him to size up the wind, choose a disc and make a throw. Even more time is probably wasted as teammembers both inspect lies that are 200' apart on different sides of the fairway. Also, this would help eliminate the practice of having the first player attempt to lay up on a longer putt to allow the second player to "go for it." This might still happen, but I'm guessing that forcing the team to take the second shot would make a team accept a first shot that was "good enough." One very good player could still cover for a poorer player, but no good "lay up" shots by the poorer player would take the pressure off the better player or allow the better player to make a more aggressive play without consequences for a mistake.

Is this a new format or has anyone seen something like this? What would you call it, "Alt. Shot with Mulligan," "Alt. Alt. Shot"?
Criticisms of proposed format?
Re: Doubles Format Idea
March 07, 2013 08:48AM
I just thought of another modification. The Worst Shot format could also be folded into this format by allowing the other team to determine whether the second throw must be taken. Under that scenario, if taken, the second throw must be used, even if it turned out to be a better throw. This would allow the opposing team to attempt to eliminate a really good shot. To promote speed of play, a second shot cannot be forced if the team holes out on the first throw. I.e., if player A on team 1 throws first and aces the hole, Team 1 gets an ace and a second throw cannot be forced.
March 07, 2013 05:56PM
The format looks good when playing doubles by division where you bring your partner who's approximately the same skill level. I'm not so sure it's as good when you are drawing partners from a pro pool and am pool where partners will likely be farther apart in skill level. The reason is that the better player will probably be the one taking the extra shot or putt to wipe out the impact of the lower skill player which is important in alternate shot to level things out among teams.

How about Multernate Shot for a name?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2013 05:57PM by cgkdisc.
March 08, 2013 03:05PM
"Multernate"? "Alternate Mulligan" sounds a little better to me, but not much.
March 12, 2013 01:42PM
I played in a tournament this past weekend which was quite interesting, holes 1 and 2 where switch bag with your partner, holes 3, 4, 5, 6 where alternate shot all the way thru so if you putted your partner drove. Holes 6, 7, 8, 9 where pick 2, as in you played 2 and your partner played 2, and hole 10 was worst shot with both you and your partner having to hole out. the rest of the holes where best shot
March 13, 2013 12:17PM
niklpenny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I played in a tournament this past weekend which
> was quite interesting, holes 1 and 2 where switch
> bag with your partner, holes 3, 4, 5, 6 where
> alternate shot all the way thru so if you putted
> your partner drove. Holes 6, 7, 8, 9 where pick 2,
> as in you played 2 and your partner played 2, and
> hole 10 was worst shot with both you and your
> partner having to hole out. the rest of the holes
> where best shot

While a bit confusing, this actually sounds pretty fun if you could get everyone to follow the rules!!!
March 13, 2013 10:30PM
it was the LA Doubles at Flanacher in Baton rouge...everyone follow's the rules during sanctioned events
March 14, 2013 11:17AM
How long did it take to play the round?
Dex
March 14, 2013 12:32PM
Jazz; Kevin was the brain child behind it

The play was rather quick, Flanacher is a 21 hole course, Kevin applied it during the 1st. round throwing from the shorter tees

the round was no slower than a regular singles round.

Also if someone is going to use the (play out of your partners bag) it needs to be a surprise

Dex
March 14, 2013 02:30PM
If it should be a surprise, post instructions at each hole. No one will know the format until they arrive at the hole.
March 14, 2013 03:53PM
Certainly sounds interesting. I like the idea confining Worst Shot to one hole. The partner's bag thing seems a little gimmicky to me, but I guess all doubles formats have that quality to a certain extent.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013