Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Can we get a NEW UP DATED WEBSITE ALREADY?

Posted by Johnathan Nyce 
Can we get a NEW UP DATED WEBSITE ALREADY?
April 11, 2013 10:52PM
Okay Southern National patrons, what are your thoughts on us getting a more modern useful website to work with than this garbage we are dealing with now? Please lets get this subject going already. Maybe if enough of us broach this subject enough, the powers that be will open there eyes and looks for building us a more advantageous website. One that can promote sponsors by giving links to there sites to tell us more about the companies that put there hard earned money back to our players. While also offering links to scorecard apps made for each of our local SN courses, with distances for each hole of each course. The technology is out there to really help promote and grow the Southern Nationals to it's highest potential, all we need is a BOD that are free thinking enough to go find it and make it happen.

I know doing the whole app thing cost money, but with a new website that can promote sponsors by offering them links which they pay very little for. With enough of them paying a little each they could add up to enough to do these other things, all while growing the SN's faster than it has grown in the past 10 years.

These are just some of my thought for reasons why we truly need a upgrade from what we have now, which is way outdated. So lets here some ideas and get the ball rolling.
Re: Can we get a NEW UP DATED WEBSITE ALREADY?
April 12, 2013 10:11AM
I have offered to host the site, or to at least build the SN a server that would host the site(much cheaper to host your own), and also I have a web developer on staff, who can create the webpages and write the code, I never got a repsonse

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
April 12, 2013 10:14AM
Ryan ill talk to you about this after this weekend. Very interested seeing what is available.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
April 12, 2013 10:26AM
There are already apps that can download course information, including distances and pars, from various sources: 1) Discasaurus is a very elegant app for IOS (it sucks for Android right now because its so buggy) that downloads course information including pars and distances and saves and publishes scores on the web so they can be accessed from any device and you can see how others are scoring at any course; 2) Disc Caddy 2 downloads course information from DGCourseReview.com, which includes distances and pars (even Pelican Park's information is already available); and, 3) Easy Scorecard is another very good app that calculates player ratings and handicaps (and adjusts them every time a new score is entered), has team scoring, backs up data to external storage (like and SD Card), Google Drive, Dropbox and other options and, according to the developer, will add the ability to download course information from the PDGA or DGCR in the future (now you have to enter the course info such as from DGCR which takes about 1-2 minutes per course and only has to be done once).

It might be nice to have a feature that automatically calculates and publishes player ratings when the tournament scores are updated (why pay someone to do what a script can do). But before agreeing that any features are desirable or necessary, I think everyone should understand what the cost would be. I'd love to have a new Lamborghini Aventador (or even just new truck), but I don't want one if I have to pay for it (and my truck will last a few more years).
April 12, 2013 04:07PM
Why buy a lamborghini, when we got guys offering to build you one from hyundai parts

April 12, 2013 04:39PM
How much for the parts & labor?
Anonymous User
April 12, 2013 08:52PM
Cause a Lamborghini will get you way more kitty cat than a fn' Hyundai.
April 13, 2013 12:03PM
The problem is not just that this site is technically inadequate. It's also that it does not belong to the SN. The more fundamental problem is that the SN doesn't actually even exist at all, making ownership of anything by it dubious at best.

Whether we continue to ignore that or not, the next step is to set aside some money and request bids. I just think it is unrealistic to expect our volunteer approach to produce the site we really want. Maybe it ends up making money for the SN or maybe not, but to get it off the ground we ought to hire a professional site builder. Of course I hope I'm wrong, but nobody has built it for free yet. Is a new site worth a dollar?
April 13, 2013 03:33PM
Kevin, I'm cracking up at

Is a new site worth a dollar?
LOL

In some form of seriousness, the SN may not "exist". I assume you mean some legal entity. However, the SN BOD does exist b/c it's made up of 7 real people. I've even met a few of them.

If those 7 real people would like my expertise, I offer it. I have been a software developer of some sort for the past 8+ years. I'm not saying I volunteer to build the product, but I would like to influence the final product if the BOD chooses to move forward.

Having a volunteer effort isn't impossible, but I would recommend some portion of it being built professionally. Niklpenny can help host it; I could help with the project management and/or architecture of the site.

-Micah
April 13, 2013 03:42PM
Sounds like problem solved, lets make it happen BoD!

Nick Robichaux
Acadiana Disc Golf Assoiciation and Flight Club Disc Golf
PDGA# 54519
April 13, 2013 05:54PM
I am a professional, Degree and Certifications and all. And so is my web developer, but we accept all help.thx

April 13, 2013 08:56PM
So let's be specific. What exactly do we need our 7 real people BOD to vote on to get someone or some committee to build it functional?

Kernan the Barbarian built ratings without a dollar or a vote.
April 14, 2013 08:42AM
Don't think you will find a bod member in disagreement that a new site is needed. One that is actually owned by the SN. There is a couple different ways to fund a new website.( if funding is needed). We can either bump up SN fees by $1 and get new site once we build up the bank or actually take from the fees this year and fund the site. That would mean one year that we don't pay out as well at the SNCs. Really think that we should let the players vote on that. Either way you go there , we will have several unhappy players.
April 14, 2013 01:51PM
Bumping up fees by $1 would provide MORE than enough to design and run a site.....it would cause an abundance of overflow cash to the SN.
Lets say a tourney averages 50 players with at least 6 tournaments in a month by 12 months, that's $3600, and that figure is on the LOW side.....

*edit: and as far as apps go, PDGA has an app that can estimate round ratings for iOS

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/2013 01:54PM by Who-dat.
April 14, 2013 02:28PM
Who dat, the ratings on that app is not accurate at all

Nick Robichaux
Acadiana Disc Golf Assoiciation and Flight Club Disc Golf
PDGA# 54519
April 14, 2013 02:51PM
Yeah, I realize the ratings on the app are not accurate, and I'm not advocating that we use those ratings by any means. I was just stating that the app does give a very approximate rating.
As someone who's never played a PDGA event, nor am I a member of the PDGA, it's cool to get some kind of an idea of what my round ratings are.
April 16, 2013 01:26PM
Yep, it's just like the ratings issue. Either it is worth a dollar, "the one" will step up and do it for free or it ain't happening. If you really care be "the one" or put the ball in the BOD's court by requesting a specific vote. The current BOD has a demonstrated willingness to vote on nearly anything proposed, but who wants to take the heat.
April 16, 2013 02:49PM
Before approaching the BOD - it might be good to get some high-level concepts for the new site. Let's use this thread for that.

A few that come to mind for me are below. What else can we dream up?

Existing today and would like to continue
-Schedule
-Tournament Results
-Player Stats
-Merchandise
-Forums

New functionality
-Player restration: self create user creates a SNID to tie to tournament results, player stats, forums, etc.
-SNDG general info
-SNDG rules
-Admin portal
--ability to edit static content (say rule changes)
--ability to edit player info
--ability to edit schedule
--ability to upload tournament results
--during upload of results auto create SNID's in the system for players who don't provide an ID
April 16, 2013 03:36PM
manglin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Before approaching the BOD - it might be good to
> get some high-level concepts for the new site.
> Let's use this thread for that.
>
> A few that come to mind for me are below. What
> else can we dream up?
>
>
> Existing today and would like to continue
> -Schedule
> -Tournament Results
> -Player Stats
> -Merchandise
> -Forums
>
> New functionality
> -Player restration: self create user creates a
> SNID to tie to tournament results, player stats,
> forums, etc.
> -SNDG general info
> -SNDG rules
> -Admin portal
> --ability to edit static content (say rule
> changes)
> --ability to edit player info
> --ability to edit schedule
> --ability to upload tournament results
> --during upload of results auto create SNID's in the system for players who don't provide an ID
--ability to auto generate a list of habitual baggers for TD use when setting up tournaments to ensure proper divisional play

B-)
April 16, 2013 04:48PM
Event results that separate award amounts for finish, ancillary and prizes in lieu.

Automated calculation of a player's classification as of set date and pdf certification of same.

Reverse chronological list of a player's event results, pdf printable.

A known player classification list (pdf) for TD's.
Anonymous User
April 16, 2013 05:01PM
I think y'all included this, but a standard file/form for the SN TDs to fill in for the results would be helpful.
April 16, 2013 09:02PM
An interactive map showing all of the courses that have SN affilitation with "balloon" type pop ups that show upcoming events listings as well as regularly scheduled club/league/mini events at each course.

An interactive calendar that shows the same tournament and club/league/mini events in a format that looks like an actual calendar.

Sections for city/club specific information, discussion and announcements.

A discussion forum that doesn't have really goofy automatic formatting glitches such as not allowing things to show up in columns - even things that really, really should show up in columns - like tournament results and tournament registration lists.

A discussion forum that doesn't allow the author's ability to edit posts to expire so that you can correct a potentially misleading typo when you see it, even a day or two after you typed it.

A front page with actual content like photos and video from recent tournaments.

A section where tournament directors can disseminate information about upcoming tournaments without a full blown discussion thread for those who want "at a glance" info without sifting through pages of other BS.

Advertisements, advertisements, advertisements AND the money those ads bring in.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST

A website actually owned and controlled by the SN Series with a responsive webmaster who makes changes and fixes things and answers emails because he/she is paid to do so.
April 17, 2013 10:08AM
BOD has made contact, we are discussing new webpage.

April 17, 2013 10:10AM
Progress

B-)
April 17, 2013 12:23PM
How you going to pay for this?? That will take 1/4 of the SN funds each year!!! Just saying...
Dex
April 17, 2013 01:48PM
Buddy; I believe they are talking about adding $1.00 extra (entry fee) that would generate the funds without pulling anything away.

Sounds great from where I sit

Great job

Dex
April 17, 2013 01:58PM
Nothing has been decided as of how to pay for it yet, obviously there are two easy ideas to pay for it that have already been brought up.

As far as the idea of taking money for SNC's, keep in mind that once a new site is up and running that profit from advertising can be placed in future SNC's.
April 17, 2013 02:55PM
another good idea to help pay the initial fees would be a few fundraising events over the next few months. would not be that bad to scrape up a couple grand
April 17, 2013 03:42PM
I think we need to list a lot of differences that will be on the new site and see if it is actually worth the headache.
April 17, 2013 04:12PM
If it allows TDs to post their on event results and post SN fees to an accounts receivable document for all to see then its way worth it. not to mention all the other needed applications we need around here. Will be absolutely no headache to you whatsoever Dustin. I'm sure it probably won't be PDGA quality. But we are going to push forward with a website upgrade.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 10
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013