Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Pro players - payout by check

Posted by jacques 
April 13, 2013 06:01AM
I want the opinion of pro players.

Would you be OK with payout by check at an SN tournament?
Re: Pro players - payout by check
April 13, 2013 10:25AM
What's the reasoning for a check jw ? I know personally I like winning cash at tournaments I would rather not have to worry about going to the bank to cash it or having the check bounce
Anonymous User
April 13, 2013 11:19AM
I'm cool with a check. I kept the check stub from my ace at the Flagstaff Pro Worlds and it's stuck to my refrigerator LOL
April 13, 2013 12:03PM
Cash only is ny opinion

Nick Robichaux
Acadiana Disc Golf Assoiciation and Flight Club Disc Golf
PDGA# 54519
April 13, 2013 12:26PM
Checks can be a hassell, but if you keep enough cash on hand to redeem any checks for people who need the money to get home then it will work!!!
April 13, 2013 07:07PM
@ Josh - security.

I sat there in 2011 at LA States doing the payout, stuffing envelopes with cash at a public park and it struck me - all it takes is one crook paying close enough attention to what is going on and we will get robbed. There were thousands of dollars in cash in the till, way more than any convenience store keeps in the register and they get held up all the time.

I've got a gun in my truck but I would like to think I don't need to keep it on me at tournament central.
April 14, 2013 06:36AM
Cash payout is better still keep ya gun close and from now on people running tournaments just need to have a cool place to make up payout so no robbers see them:-)
April 14, 2013 08:33AM
he better be one @#$%& good robber, cause like me, alot of discgolfers I know, especially in your area Jacques, are qualified from long distance's with alot of weapons.

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
April 14, 2013 08:35AM
But if you are ever really worried about it, and the players don't like the check idea. Lafayette city police will provide event security, I think it's like 20 bucks an hour tho.

April 14, 2013 08:50AM
Louisiana has some the best gunlaws in the country, let an veteran hold the money at tourny central and let him have a pistol holstered visually and that will deter any criminal trying to rob. If u guys are pro 2cd amendment, exercise that right

Nick Robichaux
Acadiana Disc Golf Assoiciation and Flight Club Disc Golf
PDGA# 54519
April 18, 2013 12:47AM
We did checks in Shreveport and guess what everyone cried cause they aren't used to it in dallas we been getting checks for years now u want my opinion tell the broke ass folks that don't want checks to get a bank a job and the check won't be a problem lol sorry.......

April 18, 2013 03:27PM
steven c Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We did checks in Shreveport and guess what
> everyone cried cause they aren't used to it in
> dallas we been getting checks for years now u want
> my opinion tell the broke @#$%& folks that don't
> want checks to get a bank a job and the check
> won't be a problem lol sorry.......
Get a bank, get a job etc...what a tool with an
attitude....banks make money off of checks. I don't want to pay any bank more than I already do. Checks are a hassle...they can be made an option, but should never be mandatory.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2013 03:34PM by hudd.
April 18, 2013 03:48PM
Reverse the situation. Do you take checks for sign up? If you do you'll probably get burned every now and then but mostly be ok. If you don't take checks for sign up you shouldn't expect to pay out that way either. Checks have become about the most iffy payment method due to bad banking laws that allow the robber barons to run amuck. Some banks charge a fee to cash their own checks. That's like me telling Entergy I'm charging a fee to pay them for my power bill, but they are still getting away with it. The robbery argument does not justify payment in checks. If you write checks then get the cash robbed your problems just got bigger. Pay the cash out then there is less to be robbed before you get to the bank. Either way I don't think it's a huge deal but I don't really see the justification for writing checks when you are holding everybody's cash.
April 18, 2013 06:33PM
When running a tournament I am a TD not a bank. I do not cash checks, make loans or accept WIC vouchers. I do not allow people to late register with checks so I would not expect them to accept checks in winnings. What is fair is fair. Why write checks when you have all the cash on hand?

Cash payments have a number of advantages. You can pre-stuff the payout envelopes the night before and simply hand them out at the awards ceremony which is a lot faster than writing checks. The winners have cash that they can use for purchasing merchandise, entering a flip up tournament, a celebratory dinner or gas money for the return trip home. With a check they are hamstrung until, as one poster rightly said, they get to their bank and convert it to cash.

Cash also simplifies my accounting procedure. The night before I label and stuff envelopes for expenses (park fees, SNDG fees, Am prizes, trophies, etc.). If the cash that is left equals the Pro payout everything is accounted for; if not, I find my mistake before paying out all the money.

I have always believed that you should leave a really good paper trail or no trail at all. If the club is a certified nonprofit and everything is reported to the IRS then payment by check is absolutely the way to go. Otherwise, I think the cash in cash out formula is best.

Gary Wagoner
April 18, 2013 10:03PM
@ Discjazz - yes we do take checks for registration, especially those who pre register by snail mail. However, as we increasingly use pre paid registration online, less cash and in some cases zero cash will be on hand on tournament day without a trip to the bank by the TD or the club's treasurer.
April 18, 2013 11:02PM
If you're selling out days before the event I think you can afford the risk that paying with checks will turn some off.
Anonymous User
April 19, 2013 07:32AM
If you want to do it by check that's fine. It's your tournament. If you want to pay out in gold bars, copper, or pennies but if people don't show back up next time you host one you might have a clue why.

This whole thing about "possibly" being robbed or hiring security while doing the payouts is BS and a joke. How many SN tournaments have been ran, ever? Never once have I heard of someone getting robbed. There's a bigger chance that someone playing the tournament is going to steal it than being robbed.

Heck I currently get paid in plastic! but to answer your question, I say pay out by cash, that way no one will complain.
April 19, 2013 08:56AM
Dillon, you are entitled to your opinion even if you come across as a schmuck sometimes.

Our current biggest tournament to date collected $5,725 in entry fees. What is BS and a joke is thinking that sitting in a public park with almost $6,000 of other people's money is no big deal and there is no reason to be concerned.
April 19, 2013 12:03PM
There really is a major joke on this forum, name: Dillion

Terry Zeringue
Anonymous User
April 19, 2013 12:08PM
So are you saying someone is casing the SN website looking for golf tournaments near them showing up and gonna rob the TD? Sounds like a lame underbudget movie. I mean yeah, it's a concern just like driving my car down the highway, I could die at any moment from a freak blowout, get struck by lightening.... you get the drift.

After you get the entry fees lock them in your glove box in your car or trunk, take them to the bank at lunch if that makes you feel even better. Just keep what you need for pro payouts, which is more than likely under $1,000.
April 19, 2013 12:35PM
I'm not saying Jacques's idea is a good one, but he was just asking for feedback, not some lame person to chastise him about his reasoning for asking.

And I'm not saying anything you just mentioned. What I said was clear and easy to read. I'll say it again, Dillion is a joke.
Anonymous User
April 19, 2013 12:43PM
Just saying the man, or no TD for that matter should fear being robbed at a disc golf event.

Terry, the man asked for opinions, people stated theirs, he replied back stating possibility of being robbed and I simply replied back letting him know he should not live in fear of being robbed. I'm sorry people can't take my opinions, reffering to you...
April 19, 2013 01:48PM
Jacques

NOTE the key word......not am players

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
April 19, 2013 02:04PM
I wouldn't like a check.
April 19, 2013 07:52PM
I don't have a dog in the hunt. But I think a check may bring legal(IRS) issues for Pro players that do not want their disc golf winnings to be known. May not go over well. But I am all about trying new things. Give it a try and see how people respond and then make a decision based on that
April 22, 2013 02:10PM
It is Jacques job to think through everything as a TD. The area around Pa Davis is not THE destination residential area for Lafayette. Acadiana Park has its version of Liga Mexicana Futbol every tournament. If you believe that there are not people in those areas who would not think about a quick armed robbery if they knew of the amounts of cash available, then think again. That's why most criminals get caught - because they are dumb, but dangerous. Jacques' gun is in his truck. He doesn't move with world class reaction speed, sorry Jacques.Some players have weapons at the tournament as well, apparently. I have not seen any in a bag on the course, and I hope I am not playing with someone who has one, and is throwing the bag around before throws. So their weapon is probably in their vehicle also. If they are on #6 at Duzee when the heist takes place, it doesn't do much good anyway.

Each TD should do whatever they feel is best for their tournament.
April 22, 2013 02:13PM
A tournament in the north paid out in checks this weekend. Brian Schweburger (sp) won a $460 check and posted on Facebook. Payout in a check if you want to. Make sure it is a big notice ahead of time, like I know you would.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
Anonymous User
April 22, 2013 02:51PM
According to the law of the United States of America, a TD is supposed to report to the IRS and issue a 1099-MISC form to anyone who wins over $600 at a tournament, whether paid in cash or a check.

THE RULES ORACLE HAS SPOKEN
April 22, 2013 03:30PM
everytime I read dillon's posts, i get happier and happier thinking about the day when I get to punch that turd in the face.

April 24, 2013 12:51PM
Amen to that brother.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJ
Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013