Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Why are there not more big 1 day tournaments

Posted by southside 
Anonymous User
Re: Why are there not more big 1 day tournaments
May 13, 2013 05:15PM
southside Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let me know if you get 211. How many times did you
> go in road at south? If I shot 24 over I would
> just quit disc golf. But send me your address and
> will send you a few disc . Might help or post a
> video maybe I can help with your form. No way you
> had any fun at 24 over.but when it is all said and
> done you spent more time in the woods with the
> squirrels than actually playing

LMAO
May 13, 2013 08:15PM
Eric Day Wrote:
> southside Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Let me know if you get 211. How many times did
> you
> > go in road at south? If I shot 24 over I would
> > just quit disc golf. But send me your address
> and
> > will send you a few disc . Might help or post
> a
> > video maybe I can help with your form. No way
> you
> > had any fun at 24 over.but when it is all said
> and
> > done you spent more time in the woods with the
> > squirrels than actually playing
>
> Who would have thought that hosting pulling 200+
> players every years was a bad thing lol.
>
> If You guys don't want to play on 7 man cards then
> play Advanced, we don't mind a few extra players.

the division you play in shouldn't matter when it comes to setting up the grouping properly! and I did play in an advanced division by the by ... :p
May 13, 2013 08:51PM
You are a loser, your tournament sucked, your attitude sucks, your organization sucked, and I could care less you, so go take your inflated ego somewhere else

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
May 13, 2013 09:18PM
niklpenny Wrote:
> You are a loser, your tournament sucked, your
> attitude sucks, your organization sucked, and I
> could care less you, so go take your inflated ego
> somewhere else

Man... Was I like this my first year of disc golf lol You do realize these guys host a tournament the is considered one of the top 5 in the SN every year. They got T.D.(s) of the year last year, and have probably the best payout in the SN. You don't get 200+ attendance by being a sucky organization...
May 13, 2013 09:29PM
I will play for cash any time you wont buddy. Put your money were your mouth is.

You played bad and wont someone to blame it on. Did the truth hurt your felling

Bo
May 13, 2013 09:29PM
I understand Ryan comes across strong at times, but he is new to our great sport and is trying to start disc golf in a new area to not only SN, but disc golf in general. Alexandria La, was like Ms. not so long ago,,,no disc golf courses or people that cared about it. Let try to stay constructive in our comment rather than destructive.

May 13, 2013 09:40PM
Its all good I could care less what he thinks. You don't payout over 10 grand 5 years in a row and be unorganized .

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 10:03PM by southside.
May 13, 2013 10:07PM
That is correct!!! You are not awarded the TD of the year being unorganized either!

southside Wrote:
> Its all good I could care less what he thinks. You
> don't payout over 10 grand 5 years in a row and be
> unorganized .

May 13, 2013 11:33PM
bring your cash!!!! I am ready anytime!!! Thanks, Buddy!! LOL
May 14, 2013 06:36AM
WOW!!! i was shocked to see how our little Baker High school tournament stacked up against you big time TDs... Thanks for those stats...
Now i might just have to try my hand again somewhere down the calander to see if we can do even better....

later,
jc "jose"

be good
have fun
May 14, 2013 08:32AM
This whole argument started because they stated before hand that there would be no more than 5 per card, and then day of there were 7 per card, they started an hour and a half late, and had a few other problems, I simply stated this, and said maybe next year they could fix that stuff. Instead of taking constructive criticism, they began to attack me like egotistical maniacs, because they are the gods of disc golf and the greatest tournament directors ever, to which I replied I thought Kernan was a better TD, and his tournament was better than theirs(please refrain from Bluff bashin). So then they private message me and tell me I am a joke and blah blah. It's like a couple of teenagers are running things over there. I am not a sheep, I am not gonna blow smoke up someone's behind. Ok so they got great payout, whoopity, their attitudes are what I have found to be wrong with disc golf, especially in the SN. But instead of taking suggestions thought would have in turn made their tournament better, and maybe players like myself and Joe-Kool, who didnt have the most pleasant of times(not because of our scores, but thanks for stooping that low) might come back. I even donated a CTP to this tournament, that I stated before was a CTP, and it was never put out. As it stands I am not supporting them, and will not be back

May 14, 2013 08:47AM
We never said anything about how many would be on a card.
Mr Bill Tyler said that. Not us so I guess you got one wrong and he all so said we have the best run tournament not us.
Maybe you should get tour facts straight.
May 14, 2013 09:40AM
You donated some bumper stickers bro.You and Joe just stay home next year.This thread is silly.basically Bo pulling his own string. Carry on......

BMB
May 14, 2013 10:18AM
Deflecting?

It doesn't really matter who said it ... Honestly 5 should be the max on any card for any reason in "tournament" play at any level except maybe rec.

In the PDGA Competition Manual for Disc Golf Events, 1.6 (E) says: Groups shall not be more than five players and should be limited to four players whenever possible.

Even the SN competition manual says 6.4.5 Groups should not be more than five players and should be limited to four players whenever possible. (TD discretion is allowed in determining number of players on each hole). <--- I assume you use this loophole to stack it 7 deep? 2 more than what is mandated, 3 more than suggested, by PDGA and 2 more than stated, 3 more than suggested, by your own governing body.

Again, kinda beating a dead horse at this point BUT ... capping the field at the max (5 players per card) should go without saying, pre-registration needs to become the norm, not the exception and that will mitigate all the issues we experienced at the beginning of this tournament and into the 2nd round. I mean the advanced masters division and all AM's missed the raffle drawing, ring of fire and most of the events at the end of the second round due to the excessively LONG round we had being stacked 6 and 7 deep on most cards over at USA. The Novice and junior guys playing behind a 7 card or two was very stagnated between holes.
May 14, 2013 10:27AM
And Brian ... I've mainly offered input on a couple things I experianced, along with many others that I talked to that were complaining and giving constructive ideas on how to mitigate it for future tournaments.

You're "take your frisbees and go home" attitued isn't required here. Given the attendance number hopefully you can deduct that there were A LOT of firstime smackdown attendees at this tournament, no? One would reasonably assume from all the touting of said attendance that the TDs would like that number to stay the same or grow in the future, yes? Then WHY be so close minded to constructive input from one of those first time attendees that talked to many and brought a couple of those first time attendees, one of them a TD himself?

Anyway ...
May 14, 2013 11:22AM
I would like to offer just some opinion on the matter of what makes an event successful. What factors into a great event?

1) Environment - One of the main reasons people play disc golf is to have fun. People like to play fun courses. (Examples: Bud Hill, Chickasabouge.)

2) Competition - When more people attend an event, it makes the competition that much more fun. Yes, I understand playing long rounds in large groups is not awesome. When events start getting larger and larger, the options are capping the field and/or making separate pools to accommodate.
(Examples: Howler and Dogwood)

3) Prestige - Over time with large turnouts and payouts, a tournament can gain a certain prestige. Tournament directors that earn a good reputation tend to have a lot of return players coming back year after year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 11:23AM by MassiveJ.
ww
May 14, 2013 11:53AM
niklpenny Wrote:
> You are a loser, your tournament sucked, your
> attitude sucks, your organization sucked, and I
> could care less you, so go take your inflated ego
> somewhere else

I have shied away from getting involved in the discussion because I avoid this forum like the plague, but I must.

Regardless of how PO'd you are, as someone who posts with Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President in their signature should never, ever post something so immature.

You stated your opinion ad nauseum ... let it go.

I agree Bo has a way of rubbing people wrong, but for you to continuously disparage a group of people who tirelessly work to put on a highly popular disc golf event is extremely poor taste. If you wish to hold hard feelings against someone, choose me.

I was asked my advice on the tournament going to a third course two days before the Smackdown. Based on historical attendance figures* that had somewhat leveled off, I advised them to keep the two courses and see how this year's attendance goes. Obviously, I advised wrong.

2005 - 101
2006 - 109
2007 - 140
2008 - 174
2009 - 176
2010 - 165
2011 - 164
2012 - 188

Another reason for you to direct your venom towards myself is the fact that I was the one who worked the cards. I put you guys in 7-man groups. Not Mikey, not Phillip, not Bo. I had no choice but to do this since the decision was made to stay with two courses. In hindsight, a plan to add extra holes could have been in place, but when you add extra holes you do not alleviate the length of time it takes to play that round. You do create smaller groups, but you add more groups and more throws.

I do understand your frustration on tourney day with this. But as you are a newcomer, I'd like you to understand that in Mobile, we have two tournaments a year where no one gets turned away regardless of how many holes we have to play. The Smackdown and the Howler. And people appreciate that. We've had 8-man groups one year at the Howler, yet the attendance the next year actually GREW, because of the quality of the event and its payout, because of the ability to see all your disc golf friends, because of the love of the game.

I guarantee you that the 2013 Southside Smackdown will be the last year that it's played at two courses. I guarantee you that there will be no more than 5-man groups. I guarantee you the 2014 Smackdown will still kick as much *ss as the previous nine.

I hope you respond to this post in a more positive manner than you have been. As someone who has worked extremely hard to promote the sport I love, I don't like seeing my friends disparaged the way you've been doing.

Willie Waite
May 14, 2013 12:23PM
Thanks Willie! That's all I wanted to hear. ;)
May 14, 2013 12:25PM
and this is not disparaging? my comments where in direct response to the comments coming from southside
southside Wrote:
> Let me know if you get 211. How many times did you
> go in road at south? If I shot 24 over I would
> just quit disc golf. But send me your address and
> will send you a few disc . Might help or post a
> video maybe I can help with your form. No way you
> had any fun at 24 over.but when it is all said and
> done you spent more time in the woods with the
> squirrels than actually playing

and oh by the way I donated a bumper sticker and a Brand new freshly stamped never thrown, straight from sweden, Dynamic Judge Classic Firm Putter.
WW
I was attacked by your guys long before I ever got ugly, just for making a few simply constructive comments

Anonymous User
May 14, 2013 12:34PM
WW post a very direct, long, and thought out, classy post letting you know why things were done the way they were and you reply with that? You could of at least used correct punctuation.

Very well Said Willie, but some people just do not get it.
ww
May 14, 2013 12:35PM
You stirred the pot first.

niklpenny Wrote:
> Looks like that list of 211 happy players is a
> little shorter than you thought
May 14, 2013 12:40PM
no the pot started way back on the southside smackdown thread.

and Dillon
So looking forward to meeting you at SNAC, I'll be the big guy, standing over you

ww
May 14, 2013 12:47PM
niklpenny Wrote:
> no the pot started way back on the southside
> smackdown thread.
>
> and Dillon
> So looking forward to meeting you at SNAC, I'll be
> the big guy, standing over you

As a "big" guy, you need to grow thicker skin when dealing with the posters on this forum. Stay classy.
May 14, 2013 12:51PM
I agree ryan, u need to step it down a notch. Insulting people will discourage people going back at the events south, and ryan it will prevent people going to your events due to all the comments my both of u. Both of yall need to sign a cease fire and not worry about it till next years event!

Nick Robichaux
Acadiana Disc Golf Assoiciation and Flight Club Disc Golf
PDGA# 54519
May 14, 2013 01:03PM
Lets try & make the Safari 7 in Citronelle on June 1st a huge one day event. I am trying to come up with food, merchandise & cash sponsors as we speak. This is a great course that we don't get to play nearly enough. Come one. Come all. Lets have some fun y'all!!!
May 14, 2013 01:36PM
Nice subject change Bernie ...

Stay classy San Diego.
Anonymous User
May 14, 2013 01:55PM
niklpenny Wrote:
> no the pot started way back on the southside
> smackdown thread.
>
> and Dillon
> So looking forward to meeting you at SNAC, I'll be
> the big guy, standing over you

You will never be standing over me. You'll also be the tool at the bottom of the results. If you shoot +24 at USA two of our championship courses will make a man out of you, or a female dog, I'm going to go with the latter...
May 14, 2013 03:57PM
I didnt shoot a plus 24 anywhere, check the stats homie
Poor little Dillon always a bridesmaid, never a bride

May 14, 2013 06:59PM
Lets see, 2 rounds, 1 par 54, 1 par 57, a 66 and a 70 comes to a136. That is 25 over. 111 would be par.
May 14, 2013 07:50PM
Ryan,
you have to remember some of these guys argue for the sake of arguing. the more you play into their banter and ... mostly silliness the more the topics get derailed. I know it can be difficult at times but some of your comments have only gone to discredit yourself in the eyes of some and they may not take your opinion as something to value.

Food for thought.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013