Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Honest Question about payout?

Posted by Trackin01 
Honest Question about payout?
May 14, 2013 08:07AM
To the TD's of Southern Nationals. How many of you actually post the payout of your tournament without adding (players packs, ace pot, ring of fires, lunch, etc . . . ).

I do however see both side of the coin when it comes to payout.......there is added cash to an event which is in the form of lunch, ctps, ring of fires, etc . . . that stuff was purchased with money. The value of the event is obviously better when you add those factors in.

I was just wondering about the added cash to divisions. Who turns in results with just that? When you look at an event these days its really hard to determine who actually earn (cash) or (cash and prizes). Especially when you try to determine how much money was given per player at each event. I know of some TD's that inflate their disc prices (maybe b/c they own a business) and other TD/Clubs who keep them dirt cheap (which is good, but kind of hurts surrounding events b/c players complain that they received a champion disc for $12 at once place and $16 at another place).
I however sell them at events for $15.

The common question asked to me about my events is always added cash to divisions. I have had players less concerned about players packs, lunch, ctps, etc . . . *typically the pros*

So again what is the real value? When the SNPC is posted each year it usually ranks in the Top 10-20 PDGA events of the year, but not based on added cash value, but added cash/prize value. Doesn't mean that years SNPC was any good or less of value, just less added actual cash to the pro purse.

Just a thought question guys sorry for the rant.
Re: Honest Question about payout?
May 14, 2013 08:33AM
For our icebowl this year, the players pack disc was the only item that was included in the "winnings". We provided lunch and CTP/Ring of fire prizes and those were not included.

Rod.
May 14, 2013 08:37AM
Hiller added players packs but not CTP or ROF prizes
May 14, 2013 12:31PM
I add players pack but thats it

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
May 14, 2013 01:47PM
In accounting for the value of a tournament I list everything that can be tracked to individual players. That includes:
Trophies
Cash payout to pros
Skins payouts
Players packs
Value of Am merchandise

Things that are not added to the tournament value:
Printing costs
Postage & shipping
Pencils, baggies, sharpies, etc.
Ace Pots
Park Entry Fee (if paid out of sponsorship money)
SNDG Fees (if paid out of sponsorship money)
CTP prizes
Ring of Fire merchandise

Gary Wagoner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/14/2013 01:53PM by Gary Wagoner.
May 15, 2013 08:41AM
As a player, I always look at what percentage of total entry fees (minus sn fees) per division is paid out including cash and prizes ( at retail value). If a td doesn't get enough sposorship to cover overhead ( park fees, insurance, trophies, printing, etc.) then obviuosly that money has to come out of entry fees. If a td doesn't get enough sponsorship money to cover overhead cost, it is usually pretty easy to tell with a little bit of 3rd grade math. So I usually choose the tournament that has a history of exceeding 100% payout and avoid the ones that don't. You live and you learn... hopfully. I usually have a great time playing a tournament even when I get ripped off, but I usually don't go back.
May 15, 2013 09:24AM
Doug, I consider everything the players leave the tournament with - cash & prizes - as "event value" including the things they are treated to such as free food & drink.

I consider "payout" to be the cash won by pros and merchandise won by ams for performance in their respective division.

When I put up the results, I post a spreadsheet where this is broken down by columns. Unfortunately, this site's database only has one "winnings" field for SN events.
May 15, 2013 09:36AM
Maybe that is a suggestion for the new website. Being able to seperate the Winnings vs. the Event value per person. This is one thing that has always bothered me about the event reporting for events in the SN.

my .02

Dustin
May 15, 2013 09:43AM
As a td I, I approach players packs as follows: pros usually prefer cash to players packs, so if ams get a disc and shirt it comes out of am entry fees. Many charge $25 but even at $20 you have a few bucks left over, which goes back into am payout. So basically the winners in am give about half of their potential pay out back to the other 60% of their division who win nothing. It is nice to have enough sponsor $ to pay for players packs but then you're obligated to provide players packs to all divisions which then doubles the total cost of players packs. What is the record for repeating "players packs" in one post.?
P.S. players packs
Dex
May 15, 2013 02:24PM
Just to echo what Jacques said

The Z-Town this past Saturday, we just listed player money taken in, we payout at least 100%

But the event value, ctps for every card (custom stamp Legacy Cannon) Free lunch, pastalya, hot wings, pulled pork, desert, salad, park fee's, S.N fees, plaques, paint, flags, water, ice, power aid, and all the general stuff needed at events

You are talking another grand, I guess it is just how you want to veiw the event

Thanks
Dex
May 16, 2013 01:06AM
Dex Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just to echo what Jacques said
>
> The Z-Town this past Saturday, we just listed
> player money taken in, we payout at least 100%
>
> But the event value, ctps for every card (custom
> stamp Legacy Cannon) Free lunch, pastalya, hot
> wings, pulled pork, desert, salad, park fee's, S.N
> fees, plaques, paint, flags, water, ice, power
> aid, and all the general stuff needed at events
> , I guess it is just
> how you want to veiw the event
>
> Thanks
> Dex

What Dex is saying -> [freepdfhosting.com]

This is our standard no frills event payout, which is mostly what we run. Every so often, around once a year or so we might seek outside sponsorship $ to add to this base, usually weighted heavily towards the Pro Divisions.

Baton Rouge always allows the AMs to pick their own prizes. We even take special orders, if we don't have the exact item in stock. Its a lot more work but it adds a lot of value to the event as well. Thanks Brooks!
May 16, 2013 01:14AM
Chunk Wrote:
> Dex Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just to echo what Jacques said
> >
> > The Z-Town this past Saturday, we just listed
> > player money taken in, we payout at least 100%
> >
> > But the event value, ctps for every card
> (custom
> > stamp Legacy Cannon) Free lunch, pastalya, hot
> > wings, pulled pork, desert, salad, park fee's,
> S.N
> > fees, plaques, paint, flags, water, ice, power
> > aid, and all the general stuff needed at events
> > , I guess it is just
> > how you want to veiw the event
> >
> > Thanks
> > Dex
>
> What Dex is saying ->
> [freepdfhosting.com]
>
> This is our standard no frills event payout, which
> is mostly what we run. Every so often, around
> once a year or so we might seek outside
> sponsorship $ to add to this base, usually
> weighted heavily towards the Pro Divisions.
>
> Baton Rouge always allows the AMs to pick their
> own prizes. We even take special orders, if we
> don't have the exact item in stock. Its a lot
> more work but it adds a lot of value to the event
> as well. Thanks Brooks!

I see a SNC in BRDGA's future. Greenwood, Ztown, and Scotlandville would be sweet.
Dex
May 16, 2013 07:09AM
How about Flanacher, Greenwood and Doyles ?

Dex
May 16, 2013 07:22AM
Dex Wrote:
> How about Flanacher, Greenwood and Doyles ?
>
> Dex

Never seen Doyles Dex, so I couldn't tell ya if I like it or not.
May 16, 2013 08:32AM
Doyles bayou was great but Scottlandville was amazing! Wish both were permanent.

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
May 16, 2013 08:46AM
you need a 45, ar15, and a M60 tank to play either one or both of those courses now days!!!

May 16, 2013 10:44AM
Keith you are wrong about Doyles, absolute Great area

Now Scotlandville, no argument here

Dex
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJ
Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013