Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SSAs

Posted by Jazzcaster 
SSAs
June 18, 2013 10:08PM
I recently played Cedar Glades DGC and a local who I was playing with made a statement to the effect that it is or was one of the most difficult courses in the US/World. I really just disregarded the statement, but then started wondering how I would be able to tell. Is the SSA for that course listed anywhere? And since I was checking on it, is there any way to look up course ratings for other courses. I'd love to see the ratings for the various courses in Louisiana.

EDIT: After some reading, maybe what I should be asking for is where to find an average SSA for courses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2013 10:10PM by Jazzcaster.
Re: SSAs
June 18, 2013 11:24PM
dgcoursereview offers estimated SSAs based off of scores that people have entered and their respective player ratings. I find that they normally vary by up to 2 strokes from what is probably accurate but not more than that. I use it quite often when playing new courses to know what a good score would be..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
June 18, 2013 11:30PM
That guy has obviously never played Jack McLean in Tallahassee..... 24 holes and course record is 71. Par has been debated between 75-77
June 18, 2013 11:42PM
Jazzcaster: I host an event there every year in November (second week usually). The best score from the longs I have heard/seen was a 53 where from the average at my events is usually 56-58 for OPEN Pro's that have come there.

From the short tees: I've seen 46 as the best, but average is 50-52 for OPEN Pros. Cedar Glades is difficult especially from the longs, but not the most difficult course in US. John Houck designed it and did a heck of a job considering what it looked like before the clearing. I enjoy that course for sure.
June 19, 2013 10:15AM
clarification on cox3's post:

DGCourseReview
DGCR SSE stands for Scratch Scoring Estimate. This is what DGCourseReview estimates a scratch player (PDGA Player Rating of 1000) is estimated to typically score on this course (as it is currently set up in DGCR). For those unfamiliar with round ratings, another way of putting it is it's our guess as to what a pro might score on that course.

The SSE is calculated using course data from DGCR only. It calculates the SSE by assuming that a scratch player will throw on average 355' on lightly wooded holes, 285' on moderately wooded holes, and 255' on heavily wooded holes. It also assumes that it takes an average 1-2/3 throws to finish up the hole (putts and short range approaches).
June 19, 2013 01:13PM
manglin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> clarification on cox3's post:
>
>
> DGCR SSE stands for Scratch Scoring Estimate. This
> is what DGCourseReview estimates a scratch player
> (PDGA Player Rating of 1000) is estimated to
> typically score on this course (as it is currently
> set up in DGCR). For those unfamiliar with round
> ratings, another way of putting it is it's our
> guess as to what a pro might score on that
> course.
>
> The SSE is calculated using course data from DGCR
> only. It calculates the SSE by assuming that a
> scratch player will throw on average 355' on
> lightly wooded holes, 285' on moderately wooded
> holes, and 255' on heavily wooded holes. It also
> assumes that it takes an average 1-2/3 throws to
> finish up the hole (putts and short range
> approaches).
>

I didn't realize that was how they came up with that estimate. I thought they used scores that users had entered. Nevertheless, it's a pretty good tool. Like I said, I think the actual SSA is usually about 2 strokes lower than the DGCR SSE. For instance, if it says 46, it is probably closer to 44.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
June 19, 2013 06:17PM
it is subjective to determine how tough a course is based on how low a player can shoot, because par may not be set correctly - take Lake Lowndes Gold for instance: the best score ever shot was a 58, and that would sound insanely difficult to most people, but it is also a par 69 course

also, SSA could also be subjective because a lower SSA could only mean it is a shorter course or an all par 54 course, compared to a course with par in the high 60s which will in turn have an SSA in the high 60s

and if you determine a course is difficult because it is tough because a gold level pro can't shoot under par, I would say that par is likely set wrong or the course is on the verge of being more lucky that challenging

it should be possible for a birdie to be achieved on every hole by whatever skill level that course is designed for - if you have a gold level course and it is impossible for a gold level pro to score a birdie, then par is set too low, regardless of what the par for that hole is - even if a birdie is difficult, it should be possible and if it is possible on all 18 holes, then a course full of possible birdies means that skill level of player should be able to shoot under par on a good round
June 19, 2013 11:12PM
manglin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> clarification on cox3's post:
>
>
> The SSE is calculated using course data from DGCR
> only. It calculates the SSE by assuming that a
> scratch player will throw on average 355' on
> lightly wooded holes, 285' on moderately wooded
> holes, and 255' on heavily wooded holes. It also
> assumes that it takes an average 1-2/3 throws to
> finish up the hole (putts and short range
> approaches).
>

Is there even a way to enter the information as to how "wooded" a course is on DGCR? I haven't seen it. It looks to me like the SSE is set based on distance only.
June 20, 2013 06:50PM
Yes. It is kind of tedious, but each hole can be set to show elevation and tree presence. Most people do not do that though.
June 21, 2013 06:53AM
It's certainly not labeled very well. I found the elevation indicator but not the "tree presence" one. How do you indicate tree presence?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 5
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013