Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What division should I play in?

Posted by David price 
What division should I play in?
July 02, 2013 06:41AM
I played for two years throwing sidearm but now for three weeks I playing learning forehand . I did place second in a tournament throwing side arm , but I won't to go to west Monroe on the 17th and 18th to play in SNDG tournament . Should I shoot novice or am ? Could I get some input please ?
Re: What division should I play in?
July 02, 2013 07:40AM
David
a couple of things to consider,
1. if you don't go you won't know
2. move up, don't bag, can't play novice forever.
3. throw more forehand
July 02, 2013 10:45AM
Sidearm and forehand are the same.. Backhand is the opposite of sidearm/forehand. Try am men.. you will like it.
July 02, 2013 12:34PM
Actually you can play novice forever within the rules. That does not mean you should and a TD can force you to move up based on past performance. The next step up is Intermediate which we sometimes still wrongly label as "Am". There is no SN division limited to the male gender.
July 02, 2013 06:45PM
Ok my bad , I will me up thanks
July 02, 2013 06:47PM
Thanks , I will move up , don't wont to be a sand bagger.
July 02, 2013 09:53PM
Here's the deal, David. Novice i.e "Beginner". The Novice division is for folks who have been seeing other people playing and want to get their feet wet in a tournament. No pressure...first time out...see how you like it. Once you have played in one tournament, or maybe two, it's time to move up to the amateur or intermediate division and give the other first timers a chance to compete without being crushed by more experienced players. When you move up you can't expect to win, but the increased level of competition will improve your game.

Gary Wagoner
July 03, 2013 06:42AM
Thanks Gary good advice ... Shoot For Par !!!
July 03, 2013 08:01AM
also that tournamnet is 13th and 14th not the 17th and 18th

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
July 03, 2013 09:42AM
Gary Wagoner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here's the deal, David. Novice i.e "Beginner".
> The Novice division is for folks who have been
> seeing other people playing and want to get their
> feet wet in a tournament. No pressure...first
> time out...see how you like it. Once you have
> played in one tournament, or maybe two, it's time
> to move up to the amateur or intermediate division
> and give the other first timers a chance to
> compete without being crushed by more experienced
> players. When you move up you can't expect to
> win, but the increased level of competition will
> improve your game.
>
> Gary Wagoner

yeah ... good luck with that in SN. From my personal tournament experience, folks that are "winning in novice" are shooting better scores that some of the folks placing in Intermediate. Look no further than this year
July 03, 2013 11:28AM
Thats how pdga is as well but they have ratings that prevent people from just staying in that division. We have nothing except the TD's discrection keeping people from playing novice.. We have nothing keeping professionals from playing intermediate at a distant tournament that people don't know him. No fee or anything for non members and no way to track players. I could say my name is John Doe and they would just sign me up in intermediate. I wouldn't if it cost me more money if I was a non member. This has happened on several occasions in AM divisions playing lower than their skill. Its got to start at the top.
July 03, 2013 01:48PM
We have things in place to help prevent cheating. Maybe we should get a lie detector next?

July 10, 2013 08:55AM
or just do like I am doing from now on... Run your event dual sanctioned PDGA and SN, with online only registration.

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
July 10, 2013 10:33AM
niklpenny Wrote:
> or just do like I am doing from now on... Run your
> event dual sanctioned PDGA and SN, with online
> only registration.

Good luck with that, most local PDGA events draw SMALLER crowds than SN events. AND....there are a whole bunch of players that DON'T use online registration either.
July 10, 2013 11:34AM
Play adv .master no baggin there.pipe down Willie.

BMB
July 10, 2013 04:26PM
A lot of tournaments on pdga say online registration only but never go through with it on the tournaments that I have been to. Hard to do because most people work and can't plan that far ahead. PDGA or SN, people will show up reguardless of the bickering on this site. Dual sanctioning doubles your fees and causes you to have a lower payout as well. If your area has more SN tournaments, dual sanctioning will cause more baggin in the intermediate divisions because intermediate, in pdga, is a different caliber player than SN.
July 11, 2013 10:55PM
Well ok then .... I think I will just show up and hit some chains !!! That's what got
Me hook anyway . I love to see my disc sore the line I pick out and get close to the basket. Then the sound of the chains ,GOT TO LOVE IT !
Thanks a lot :-)
July 11, 2013 10:57PM
I haven't been on here in a long time, but wanted to send a quick thought. Your area or location usually determines a good or low turnout. Weather makes a difference too. If you are running a basic event PDGA or SN and there is nothing special about it........your turnout can be mainly locals.
Here in Little Rock, I've been hosting mainly PDGA events and haven't seen a difference in attendance. In fact, more of out of state players are coming to play. I have been gearing up PDGA B-Tiers for my events (minimum $500 added cash to pro purse and $10 retail players pack to the amateur players). Some of the "Old School" locals are against the PDGA and have vowed to not play in a single PDGA event here in Arkansas. Kind of silly. However I have my own issues about the PDGA, like the $10 non member fee, and high membership costs, but in the end I still see value in the PDGA events. I would love to see a player from Little Rock win the world championships someday. They will never have a chance to do so if I don't provide them with PDGA events to earn enough points to play (need 500pts).

As always, I am working on many future projects to boost disc golf in Arkansas and possibly in your area too. Look out for NPCTour and what is going to happen soon. It's time for a move toward something different and new.
July 13, 2013 09:25AM
PDGA tournaments have not done so well in Memphis. There is not enough of a benefit to many players to waste the $$$ and get lower payouts.
So far, I have refused to play them because of the limited fields, the extra $$$, and the general crap that goes along with the PDGA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2013 09:28AM by wayneacree.
July 13, 2013 11:25AM
How many pdga events have you participated in?
July 13, 2013 12:57PM
Literacy is the ability to read and write one's own name and further for knowledge and interest, write coherently, and think critically about the written word. The inability to do so is called illiteracy or analphabetism

You are welcome.
July 13, 2013 01:16PM
Wayne-

No doubt that the PDGA is not for everyone. Not everyone is interested in competitive golf. Some players just want to have a good time. The current members of the PDGA receive benefits at PDGA events. Example: not having to pay the $10 fee *which I don't agree with* However there are those players who look to play in a worlds competition. Just like this weekends PDGA Am Championships, who from what I have heard are having a blast. Where else can you go to have 547 players attend one big event?

It's not secret that a small percentage of players are those competitive players who thrive to WIN and take the game serious and there is a large percentage of players who just want to have fun, party, drink, and just play golf. Events are set up for both groups.
Is the SN series the best we have or is PDGA the best we have? You really can't compare the two b/c both have different objectives. Many people out there will say SN is just an amateur series at best and have relaxed events where players just want to have fun. There is nothing wrong with that at all. PDGA events (especially the upper level ones like B-tiers, A-Tiers, and NT events) are geared for that competitor golf where people try to compete in a serious level of play.
I believe everyone out there would like to WIN and event, but some would rather it be the bonus instead of the goal.

PDGA payouts are not the worst either. At least they have events where you know what your going to. Example: B-Tiers have a $500 minimum added cash to Pro purse and $10 retail value players packs to Amateurs. A-Tiers have a minimum $1800 added cash to pro purse and $25 minimum players pack. You at least can see up front what event your going to. Southern Nationals is mostly word of mouth. If a new event shows up on the schedule, nobody will know up front what kind of event it is by looking at the schedule. Yes it can be on the flyer or event forum page, but hardly anyone goes in there to look.

That's my rant for now.
July 15, 2013 02:55PM
Wayne, have you ever played in a pdga sanctioned event?
July 16, 2013 10:26AM
dustin morris Wrote:
> Wayne, have you ever played in a pdga sanctioned
> event?

Literacy is the ability to read and write one's own name and further for knowledge and interest, write coherently, and think critically about the written word. The inability to do so is called illiteracy or analphabetism

You are welcome.
July 16, 2013 12:38PM
I take that as a no.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 40
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013