Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

When you ran your 1st tournament

Posted by drivinatwork 
When you ran your 1st tournament
August 02, 2013 10:29AM
I guess this question is for the ones that didn't have an established club and just took over running tournaments. This would be for the ones with no club or a club that is just starting out.

How did you get started running tournaments? Where did you get the merchandise you used for prizes?

Did you use out of pocket money or did your club have enough members that the club could afford to buy merchandise or did you have a vendor come in to handle it?

Jason O
Re: When you ran your 1st tournament
August 02, 2013 03:03PM
I had a vendor come in, Aboriginal Discs From New Orleans..he did the AM payout, and he gives you back 20% of the money. I charged $3 for lunch. I fronted the money for players packs outta my own pocket, and I then got sponsors from around town to donate $25 each and sponsor a hole, I had a total of 18 CTP's, and my players pack was a disc and a decal for each player. With the 20% return, I was able to re-coop my front money. I also ran mini tournaments every weekend, and kept $1 from each player and put that towards tournament expenses as well.

My 2nd tournament, I did not give away players packs, I donated ctp's outta my own disc stock( I sell discs), and I once again had Aboriginal come out and do the AM payout.

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
August 02, 2013 03:03PM
PS My club has only 5 members, and at the time our course was maybe 9 months old. Everything was brand New

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
August 03, 2013 07:37AM
I am a traveling TD and I have no members and I am lucky to have friends in several cities that always offer to help out when I run tournaments in their area. Thanks TDGA!

My first tournament was out of pocket and I ordered from disc manufacturers and still do. I have built up a tournament fund so now I don't have to fork out a bunch of my personal money in order to get discs for payout. I am currently running the civil war series and it is going very well and will be coming to an end the first of next year. It will be a big finale. The ones you have to put up money out of pocket is scary because you never know what the weather will do and how many will show up
August 06, 2013 09:04PM
I had played in a ton of events prior to running my first event. It was an Ice Bowl, so I gave away discs from my winnings and gave all the am monies to the charity. It is very hard to buy a variety of discs when you start out. Bringing in a vendor is always a good idea at first. Try to make a "profit" off the first event or two to set up a reserve fund to buy discs. Then buy an assortment and gradually ramp up your event payout. Eventually you should be making around 50% of the am payout in "profit." Split that money into paying 125% retail to the ams with a players pack and donating the other 25% to the pro payout. Then work on your sponsors until you don't have to move money out of the am payout for anything but course maintenance and tourney expenses.

It's also a good idea to run a couple of low payout events that you can shift "profit" from into one large marquee event every year.

Hope that helps,
Josh
August 06, 2013 09:15PM
Although I ran all the major Memphis tournaments, including a pro and am championship, during a 5 year period the first tournament I ran as an independent TD was the Wall Doxey Rumble in the Jungle in 2011. I decided to do this because that club had disbanded and that tournament was falling by the wayside.

All the up front costs, i.e., tournament discs, am prizes, CTPs, printing, trophies, etc., come out of my pocket so I hope for good weather and good attendance to recoup the expenses. I purchase the custom printed tournament discs from Discraft and the am merchandise from Innova.

Gary Wagoner
August 09, 2013 10:49AM
Thanks for the feedback. Just curious, as I had a community org. come to me about having a fundraising tournament, but we don't really have a club and I don't have the resources to fund a tourney(money or merchandise) thought I'd ask how others did it.

Just all talk at this point, but still would like to try mostly to help promote disc golf and the course because the sport is still so new here.

Thanks again.

Jason O
August 09, 2013 04:37PM
drivinatwork Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the feedback. Just curious, as I had a
> community org. come to me about having a
> fundraising tournament, but we don't really have a
> club and I don't have the resources to fund a
> tourney(money or merchandise) thought I'd ask how
> others did it.
>
> Just all talk at this point, but still would like
> to try mostly to help promote disc golf and the
> course because the sport is still so new here.
>
> Thanks again.

My suggestion is to sit down with the community organization, lay out your plan and projected expenses for running the tournament and let them cover the up front costs. There is no need for you to take the financial risk when they reap the rewards. This would not be an unreasonable request. When the Red Cross provides food at an event they have to buy the buns, burgers, chips and drinks. If the community organization refuses, politely decline.

Gary Wagoner
August 12, 2013 11:19AM
Gary Wagoner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My suggestion is to sit down with the community
> organization, lay out your plan and projected
> expenses for running the tournament and let them
> cover the up front costs. There is no need for
> you to take the financial risk when they reap the
> rewards. This would not be an unreasonable
> request. When the Red Cross provides food at an
> event they have to buy the buns, burgers, chips
> and drinks. If the community organization
> refuses, politely decline.
>
> Gary Wagoner

We did meet with them and they would handle most everything, prizes was the one thing I wasn't sure of. Trophy only may be the way to go since it is a fundraiser, but you might not draw as many with only trophy's, if not we'd have to use a vendor.

Question - Will a tournament still make/raise money using a vendor?

Jason O
August 12, 2013 02:20PM
Yes
August 12, 2013 06:16PM
Yes. Using a vendor reduces the financial risk. What is not "sold" as am prizes goes back into his stock. How much money is raised depends upon the arrangement with the vendor and what other ancillary costs your have. These would include trophies, am prizes, score cards, leader board cards, pencils, sharpies, CTPs, etc.

Gary Wagoner
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013