Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Ft. Buhlow Course Expansion Redux

Posted by Jazzcaster 
Ft. Buhlow Course Expansion Redux
August 19, 2013 07:52PM
The previous thread on the new holes coming to Ft. Buhlow was sneakily deleted so I thought I'd post this info for anyone interested and out of curiosity in seeing whether this one will be deleted too.

The Expansion

18 holes will be added making two new courses. Though the original course will still remain, untouched, as an option for play, it was divided to make the two new courses. I will refer to the new courses as White and Gold.

The White course consists of the first 11 holes from the original course followed by 7 new holes beginning with 12 as shown below:

The most open approach to 12 is over the water. 13 has a narrow fairway through trees, with the danger on right and OB on left. After 14, golfers will cross the road and parking lot to play 15 as shown below:

Hole 15 is 589'. 16 forces a right turning shot to make a birdie at about 320'. 17 is about 496, 18 is a bit over 500'.

The Gold Course begins at the corner of the right field fence of the baseball field, just outside the right edge of the pic below:

Hole #2 is about 620' and slightly downhill after a small rise. Hole #3 is about 475'. After 3, the shots get a little more technical:

Hole 4 starts with a tunnel and then a right turn. Hole 5 is an uphill tunnel at about 210'. Hole 6 is a mostly downhill tunnel with an elevation change at the basket, about 180'. Hole 7 is a 300' tunnel with a right turn at the end and elevation changes near the basket. Hole 8 is a 310' tunnel with a left turn just before the basket. Hole 9 is approx. 900 feet starting with a tee pad that is approx. 30 feet higher than the landing area. Hole 10 is 380' or so.

Hole 11, below, is an ace hole about 230' with a low ceiling:

Hole 12 utilizes the basket from the original 12th hole with a new tee pad and an approach from the opposite direction. After 12, holes 13-18 from the original course round out the Gold course.

In addition to the White and Gold courses, the Original course will remain playable as is and untouched. A crossing for the ditch and tree line will be placed between Gold #3 and #11 allowing a 9 hole route ending at Gold 16. An additional 9 hole route can be played by playing 1-6 and 18 on White and then 17 and 18 on Gold. The two 9 hole routes can be combined for at fourth 18-hole route that makes a "figure 8" shape. The Gold 9 hole route can be added to the White 18 to make a 27 hole route. Another, if more complicated, 27 hole route can be played using the other 9, the Gold course, one of the holes on White and the Original 12th hole. All combinations begin and end in the same area near the same parking lot.

Progress

Tee and basket positions have already been marked for placement. Trees have been marked for clearing. This past week, the baskets were ordered by the RRWC. The RRWC has agreed to a deadline before the State Championships in December. There is some electrical equipment (poles, wires and a transformer) that will need to be removed before clearing can begin.

I'll try to keep updates coming, especially when the course is finally playable. Basket placements will be one of the last things to be completed. Hopefully there will be plenty of time to get rounds in before the tournament in December.
Re: Ft. Buhlow Course Expansion Redux
August 19, 2013 10:26PM
Sorry Eric! It is hard to get excite about a course that was designed by people who have been playing less than 2 years and only one of those have been to any tournaments.

GOOD LUCK!

"You are truly one miserable human being."
Alxtgr
August 20, 2013 07:42AM
I am pretty sure you don't have to be a 30 year disc golf veteran to know a little about designing a course.
August 20, 2013 07:55AM
I'm not asking for excitement, or anything for that matter - just posting the info. I presume that some less discriminating people might want to play the new holes once they are finished. Luck really isn't an issue either, the course was designed and will be constructed without that, but your well wishes are appreciated. FWIW, you are incorrect about the tournament experience of the people who designed the course but, if your gauge of a course only takes into consideration the playing (or tournament) experience of the people who designed it, then the actual design never really mattered anyway.

The original course remains intact. No one who is offended by the notion of a newb-designed course need sully themselves by playing any of the added holes . . . unless they plan to play in any tournaments held there.
August 20, 2013 08:18AM
I apologize for my comment!

"You are truly one miserable human being."
Alxtgr
August 20, 2013 09:09AM
I have 12 years experience in disc golf, and I was on the design team...jus sayin

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
Anonymous User
August 20, 2013 06:13PM
I didn't delete the old thread :)

Just call me Les Discriminating. I applaud y'all for getting another 18 and I'm sure it will be a good course.
August 20, 2013 06:34PM
I had asked a question on the "now i know is deleted for I have no idea reason" thread.......

Are the gold course holes 6,7, and 8 holes tough at all? Are they pretty gettable 2's?

Terry Zeringue
August 20, 2013 07:49PM
Eric/Ryan, I will offer only one tidbit of advice - wait to cement your tees. Baskets move easily and cheaply, concrete pads don't.
August 20, 2013 08:05PM
Are the gold course holes 6,7, and 8 holes tough at all? Are they pretty gettable 2's?

All three are tunnel shots in what is now a heavily forested area. They were certainly not planned as "pretty gettable two's."

6 is a tunnel hyzer with a lot of obstructions (trees). There are two narrow "lanes" that you will have to hit and which you cannot see from the tee. There is a 5-6 foot elevation change approximately 5' nearer the tee than the basket. Land just a little short and you will be putting upwards.

7 is a tunnel (approx. 12' wide) for the first ~225 feet or so. The hole never really opens up, it's forest the whole way. The basket is on a slope. I expect that the short upshot will leave a downwards putt at the basket.

8 is a ~15' wide tunnel for all of its ~320' feet.

Our intention was to make them difficult 3's. Of these, 6 will probably be the easiest because it is short but it has a lot of trees to help generate some scoring spread. By comparison to the first 4 holes on the white course, I expect these to play considerably more difficult.

Ultimately we're not really going to know the difficulty of these holes until they are cleared and we can get some throws in. At that point, we can tweak the basket locations if we need to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 08:10PM by Jazzcaster.
August 20, 2013 08:54PM
The only reason why I ask is because, just by looking at the map, 9 seems like it might take a little while longer to play than 7 and 8. If that is the case there could be a heavy backup on 9's teebox.

Just throwing that out there, but like I said, I'm just looking at a map, might be totally different when i play it. Just trying to help.

Terry Zeringue
Anonymous User
August 20, 2013 09:30PM
niklpenny Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have 12 years experience in disc golf, and I was
> on the design team...jus sayin

Missed you at the SNAC.
August 21, 2013 06:38AM
TheZinger Wrote:
> The only reason why I ask is because, just by
> looking at the map, 9 seems like it might take a
> little while longer to play than 7 and 8. If that
> is the case there could be a heavy backup on 9's
> teebox.
>
> Just throwing that out there, but like I said, I'm
> just looking at a map, might be totally different
> when i play it. Just trying to help.

It is certainly possible, especially if the 900' throwers are going to wait until the basket is cleared to start throwing from the tee.

Joking aside, you may be right. Hopefully, the TD can ask the next group to go ahead and throw once the fist has gotten past a certain point. Or don't start groups on 6, 7 and 8. Also, I suspect that 7 and 8 are going to play kind of slow.
August 21, 2013 08:14AM
Terry,
You cannot actually see what the forest looks like from the map, but trust when i say getting a 3 on holes 5 thru 8 is gonna be a hard task to perform. They are in the woods, and probably some of the most technical holes you will ever play. When I TD, I will tell people on hole 9 you may begin throwing once the group in front of you has passed the bathroom, which is about 500 feet or so down the hill.

Jacques,
the concrete pads is the very last thing we are gonna do, we will play it for a couple weeks and then make that decision.

August 22, 2013 03:25PM
Keith Bodin Wrote:
> Sorry Eric! It is hard to get excite about a
> course that was designed by people who have been
> playing less than 2 years and only one of those
> have been to any tournaments.
>
> GOOD LUCK!

Wow, :lol:
August 22, 2013 04:05PM
I'm looking forward to getting out there and throwing some discs. Hopefully I can make a road trip soon.

Terry Zeringue
August 26, 2013 09:16AM
Walked the woods holes yesterday. Looking pretty cool. Will need some fine tuning on trees though. The throw on 9 will be fun. You big arms better watch out for the fenced area. I almost reached it with a Volt.
August 26, 2013 10:45AM
Oh, would it be asking too much to get a couple of signs for the parking lot by 6 saying, "Warning, disc golf course"?

Had another photo shoot going on in 6 fairway yesterday. Very small child involved. I just threw around.
August 29, 2013 07:19PM
AlxTgr Wrote:
> Oh, would it be asking too much to get a couple of
> signs for the parking lot by 6 saying, "Warning,
> disc golf course"?
>
> Had another photo shoot going on in 6 fairway
> yesterday. Very small child involved. I just threw
> around.

Like this?

Baskets have been delivered. Tee boxes are ready to be poured on all but seven holes. We marked the remaining trees to be cleared this afternoon and made some minor adjustments to basket positions on Gold #4 and #7.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2013 07:45PM by Jazzcaster.
September 03, 2013 05:02PM
That sign looks too fun. Every see the trolling motor warning where fingers are leaving the hand? Maybe a driver contacting a forehead with Tarantino style blood flying?
September 03, 2013 09:11PM
Like this?

September 04, 2013 09:35AM
Yes
September 04, 2013 10:02PM
I am wondering if you would consider being creative with the tee signs and basket numbers so that the original course can remain and be played casually and in tournaments? It would be great, I think, to have three amazing clearly marked courses to choose from.
September 05, 2013 08:22AM
Fortunately, no creativity is needed with the basket numbers. The numbers will not change for the baskets on the original course. As to clearly marking them, we haven't yet figured out how to clearly mark the original course as being the original course. The existing signs are pretty bad and will likely all be replaced with something a little more clear as to layout and basket location. Distances will need to be corrected as almost none are correct and several aren't even close (hole 11 is off by 100 feet or so).

Some of the "courses" will probably be unmarked just to prevent confusion. There will actually be 4 different 18-hole combinations, three 9-hole combinations and two 27 hole combinations and a few others that can be utilized for tournaments. We will try to designate these at the kiosk at the course and provide maps so that they can be utilized for casual play.

The departure from the original course occurs after Hole #11. At that point a player can proceed either to the new Hole #12 or the old one. My current idea (not approved by anyone yet) is to put the following sign at the original #12 tee:

Input as to signs for this transition is welcome. The designation of the courses is also not set in stone. We will likely need a sign after #11 that points to the Original 12 and the New 12. And one after the New 14 that directs players across the street to the new 15.
September 05, 2013 06:34PM
Awesome. Love the original and excited others will still be able to experience it along with the new ones.
September 06, 2013 09:46AM
We are getting 2 signs, exactly where you said we needed them Jazz, when I walked with RRWC guys, they added this in.

September 09, 2013 07:37AM
All tee boxes are now constructed. Additional trees have been cleared. Baskets are on site.
September 12, 2013 12:41PM
They poured the concrete this morning, all that is left is the baskets

September 12, 2013 03:41PM
Sweet. I haven't heard back on whether they will pay for the sign stickers. I'll nudge RRWC again in a few weeks if I haven't heard back by then.
September 12, 2013 11:40PM
When will the 2nd course be ready for play? I assume we will be playing all 36 holes for LA states?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013