Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Disc golf after hip replacement?

Posted by Ricco Suavez 
Disc golf after hip replacement?
September 02, 2013 09:47AM
As many from the DGing community in North MS know I am scheduled for a left side hip replacement come this November. My concerns (other than my everyday functions in life) are how will this affect me in playing DG. Will I be able to perform even close to my prior level? Will I be able to turn on my throws? Will I have to give this passion up? I know these are questions for my Doctor and I have voiced them but he is vague and evasive in any definitive answers and I understand that it is likely up to the activity and the individual. My hope is there anyone out there that have first hand knowledge of what I am to expect? I also have a scope scheduled for my knee this Weds to repair a torn meniscus of the posterior horn, DR says I can return to work when I feel up to it and typical rehab is 4-6 weeks. I am hoping to recover enough to play the Tish Fall which is about that time frame out. Anyone have a similar procedure and what can I expect from it in terms of Disc Golf. Thanks ahead of time. BTW I am 55 years old but other than my hip and knee problems (and overweight but not obese) I am in decent physical shape.
Re: Disc golf after hip replacement?
September 03, 2013 02:40PM
best of luck with your surgery!
the older we get the longer it takes to recover. i wish you the best. recent surgery definitely took it's toll on my game. time is the key and it will definitely take a good bit for your surgery. just be patient and remain positive.

September 03, 2013 02:59PM
Here's my experience: Almost two years ago, I fractured my left hip in a dirt bike crash; parts of the head of my femur as well as my pelvic bone have screws and plates now. So I don't know if a replacement is worse or easier than the trauma my hip went through. We can pretend they are the same since we may never know.

The short story is, I'm back to full swing in my DG game. It took some work and some time though.

The long story is, I throw RHBH and losing muscle and strength in that left leg really hurt my game for a while. I was in the hospital for 6 days, at home in the bed for 2 weeks, then on crutches with no weight bearing on the leg for several more weeks. The muscles just really went away. Hopefully you have a shorter period, not sure. My doc said all along that I should be able to recover and do whatever I want to do - so I was hopeful; he knew I was an active guy. I was 32 at the time of my surgery. I didn't lift weights before then, and I still don't. I'll explain my PT...

My physical therapist was like, "what is disc golf"? After explaining the sport and some of the movement involved, he was more in tune. I would do some isometric exercises (imagine laying on your back and holding one leg a few inches in the air while everything else is flat on the ground). You might do the same type of thing from a standing position. Most of the exercises were simple, like stand on some steps sideways, with your right leg hanging over to the lower step...lower your right heel down to the lower step, with your left leg doing all the work. Seems simple now, but it's tough after so much muscle depletion. Also, my PT made me do lots of lunges and one leg squats. Again no weights, just lots of reps. The coolest thing was he had this bungey cord harness to put around my waist, and he'd attach the other end to something stationary - so it was stretched out parallel to the ground. Then I would walk frontwards, backwards, and sideways. It felt a lot like walking up or down a steep hill. And the sideways part felt like it was getting me ready for DG (kind of that same motion you make in throwing a drive). One other thing to point out is you'll have some time at home before PT kicks in. The hospital will give you some exercise to do. Try to do as much of that as possible. That's the most painful, and you think sometimes "am I hurting my hip"? Anything you can do in that time period will make it easier for PT.

Above all is attitude will drive your outcome. Honestly DG was a good motivator for me, and it can be for you too. My wife made me sell the bike before I could even walk again, so I knew DG was going to be my main hobby then. I definitely had doubt about DG; my thoughts were I still wanted to have fun even if my game went down. But I was also determined to give it my all during recovery time to put me in a good spot. I even improved my diet to allow my body the best opportunity to recover. Just keep in mind that it's going to take time. Your first game or two out is going to suck and things will feel funny; you might have a limp; whatever...it gets better. After a while you'll get used to throwing shorter and things won't feel as funny. Then one day, I realized I was throwing farther and my game was coming back. Today, I'm throwing further than I ever have and my scores are pretty solid.

So you'll be alright as far as DG is concerned. Stick with your recovery schedule, exercises, have a positive outlook, and take your time. Good luck!

-Micah
September 03, 2013 09:31PM
Yikes, where to start? First off, Docs are always cagey, they teach them to be in med school because you never really know how these things turn out. Most 55 yo's sail through THA's, so you shouldn't have any difficulty returning to day to day activity. A lot of patients tell me day one post op that their leg already feels better, but some hate to see you darken their door. Either way, you'll be up and walking the morning after surgery. Usually younger patients (55 is very young for this op btw), are walking without a walker within 2 weeks and start outpatient PT between 3 and 5 days post op, sometimes as late as one week depending on your surgery date and MD protocol.

Now here comes the tricky part: there are 2 types of THA's. If you have the standard version, they will tell you that you can never cross your legs again because it might pop your hip out of place. That does happen btw. If so it would restrict your shot immeasurably! Walk through your x-step. You will find that you cross your legs! Doing so during a shot would greatly increase your chances of dislocation as it would also involve great amounts of torque. If you have this, I would be very hesitant to attempt a run up for at least 6 months post op and theoretically, you should never do it. Real life is different from the classroom though. Just know you're taking a huge risk.

Now if you have an anterior THA, there are no range of motion restrictions. Theoretically you could play when you feel like it and your MD ok's it.

Recovery time from any surgery lasts up to a year.

As for the knee scope. No big deal. Football players return in 2 weeks or so. 4-6 weeks should be more than enough time, but again depends on how the surgery turns out.

Josh Lenox PT

Legal notice: I am liscensed to practice only in the state of Alabama and all advice is general and not meant to be specific to your exact injury as I have not performed an evaluation on you and do not have a referral from an MD. :-) What would we do if we didn't have lawyers watching our every move?
September 04, 2013 03:20AM
I thank all for your posts and PMs. After my post I have done some searches and found other players have had same procedures and have done quite well. So once again thanks and I look forward to being (hopefully) pain free for the first time in nearly ten years with the last two being at times almost unbearable.
November 28, 2013 03:46PM
Had my surgery Monday and got out yesterday. No real pain when siting still which is a huge improvement. On the other hand I am as sore as I could of imagined and when I move a little wrong I am in real pain. Been doing PT and start home PT tomorrow. Keep me in your thoughts and may you be blessed on this day of thanks.
November 28, 2013 09:26PM
good luck buddy.. my wife had both hips totally replaced in 2011.. left hip in feb. and right hip in july... she does not play disc golf, however she is now able to walk pain free and many other things that were almost impossible.... follow your rehab instructions closely...

later,
jc "jose"

be good
have fun
November 29, 2013 03:40PM
Thanks JC today has been better, home PT therapist came today and did a great job, walked with walker twice about 300 feet each time. And I can rest without pain for the first time in a long long time. May have to change my game if I can continue to play. Thanks again.
December 08, 2013 05:33PM
Well I am almost two weeks from my surgery and feel much better about my recovery now. Exercises that seemed almost impossible a few days ago now are being done without help from my PT or coach/wife. I feel I could switch from my walker to a cane now but my PT advised me to err on the side of caution and I go back to my Dr on the 19th. I also get these 28 staples out of my butt tomorrow and while it may be painful I look forward to it. I feel much better and even ordered me a Grip BP today for a Christmas gift to myself(the wife approved) so I am determined to return to tournament action ASAP. Thanks to everyone and have a very happy holiday.
December 08, 2013 09:56PM
GOOD LUCK BRO!

December 09, 2013 03:20AM
Great discussion over this topic, Keep sharing such type of information in future too.
December 13, 2013 07:06PM
Nineteen days since surgery and have now put the walker aside and using a cane. So much more mobility. PT has added more stretches and exercises along with rubber band resistance. Feeling so much better than I have in years. Took last pain pill Monday about hour and a half before they removed my staples. Biggest concern right now is my lack of sleep, have to sleep on back and I have always slept on my side. Will keep everyone informed of any progress and hope to be back around May-June.
January 12, 2014 06:20PM
Been nearly a month since my last update but things have improved for me. Been using a cane for about 3 weeks or more now and rarely use it in my home. Went to PT one day last week without it thinking they would be proud but was told to continue to use it since I still have a slight limp and they want me to concentrate on walking without the limp. PT three days a week M-W-F and I do most of the same exercises at home between visits. PT consists of 10 minutes on incline treadmill and 16 different movements involving either weights or elastic bands. Most movements are for a duration of 2-3 minutes each. Follow that up with ice and electric shock, a total of about an hour and 45-50 minutes.

Been putting on my practice basket and no issues, have been throwing some 100 foot upshots with very little difficulty. After my home PT sessions I have added about 10 minutes of pulling a disc through starting slow and building up to full speed while turning slightly and releasing my back foot (my surgery hip) from the floor. No pain but still very careful. Today I went outside (sixty degree weather, could not help myself) and tried some full throws but from an abbreviated step or single step motion. Some throws came out OK but distance was more like 60% and my motion felt unnatural. Did not overdo it so I only threw about 20 or so Rocs.

I go back to my Dr. this week and I believe I will be released to return to work the following Tuesday the 21st. The last day I worked was November the 22nd so right at two months for my surgery and rehab, with months ahead to return to normal activities of life. Biggest thing to come out of this is that I have finally been able to sleep the last few weeks for what has seemed like years and can sit for long periods of time without a constant throbbing of pain. I look forward to returning to work, (did not see that coming) and look even more forward to trying a round of disc golf soon. Bless you all.
January 14, 2014 08:31AM
Josh didn't know your a physical terrorist. didn't say aboutno more than 90 degree flexion and that You better know Sidearm!
January 24, 2014 06:34PM
Well , back to work this week. No pain like before but some soreness and really tired at the end of the day. No time and too freaking cold to do any Disc Golf activities this week. One thing that came from my last visit to my Doctor, my surgery leg is 1/2 inch longer and still causes me to limp. I have some Walmart lifts right now but I am scheduled to be fitted for professional lifts later. Suppose to be warmer this weekend and I intend to try and play at least on round on one of the shorter courses. Thanks for the prayers and support.
January 25, 2014 10:15AM
1/2" is not bad the last one I worked on, they missed by 2" short!!!
January 25, 2014 01:40PM
Good to read about your progress... just take your time...

later,
jc "jose"

be good
have fun
February 05, 2014 10:24AM
Double hip replacement in '05. Hips should hold but if your not careful, you'll hurt other stuff. Because you have an easier,less restrictive motion, muscle tissue can be torn. Weight is really important to function at top levels. Did you get plastic or ceramic liners? With plastic you can run and jump some, ceramic lasts longer but impacts transfer to other bone structures like back vertebra. Like, I jumped off the back of my pick-up. Slammed 2 vertebra together and battled sciatica for several months. Good luck!
March 22, 2014 11:05AM
Played my first competitive tournament last weekend. It was a good first outing for me in that the course was dry, not too hard to walk, and it was shortened for a Buzzz only competition. Distance was not an issue with more emphasis placed on accuracy and placement. While I prefer a Roc over a Buzzz I feel that I did OK, tied for first and lost in a playoff. Was hoping to play the next day in another tournament that would of tested my overall game more but a rain moved in making conditions a bit more hazardous for footing. Still cautious and no where near my former self but seeing progress for the first time since my surgery. Just being pain free is a huge plus in my life right now, will update future tournaments and progress.
March 24, 2014 08:16AM
Two day...no posts.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013