Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Most Pressing Issues

Posted by hobbit489 
Re: Most Pressing Issues
September 13, 2013 10:00PM
Most of this is has already been great input to coming up with a plan for turning our series into something more special than what we have already. Please keep them coming, and believe me when I tell you each member of YOUR BOD's is paying attention and we are looking at each and every venue to turn things around for the better of the series. To do that YOUR BOD's need to know what you the players want???
September 14, 2013 12:37AM
Same $%@* different day lol
isn't it ironic don't ya think? ??:-)
September 17, 2013 09:44AM
jacques Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Our series isn't well served by a board of
> directors with a corporate structure like what is
> currently in place.
>
> At the very least, positions should have specific
> tasks associated with them. For example,
> assigning seat 1 = the website
> janitor/administrator, seat 2 = rules/enforcement,
> seat 3 = public relations/media/fundraising and so
> forth (these are just examples)
>
> This way, the individuals running for the board
> aren't running for some generic amorphous elected
> position, they are running for a seat to perform a
> specific task and can determine if that task
> aligns with their capabilities and strengths.
>
> It also clarifies accountability when things
> aren't getting done. I run a crew of 100 people
> at work and I guarantee the best way to make sure
> something doesn't get done is to make it a shared
> responsibility.

This is one I really like, and believe it was brought up a year or so ago. Also each BOD member could get some helpers to form a committee for the task they are over. I believe the committee idea was brought up some time ago also.

I also like his idea of the tag and shirt combo, but would like a shirt with just a SN logo not a lot of ads/sponsors on it.
September 18, 2013 12:45PM
I want to expound on my previous thoughts on the BOD structure.

If we simply elect/appoint people who decide they want to run for office instead of electing/appointing people who want to serve in a specific capacity that aligns with their interests and talents, then we end up with leadership based on the individual BOD members proclivities, not based on what the series needs.

The best analogy that I can think of to make my point would be the absurdity of having a local election where the candidates are all running for an ill defined committee charged with running the city and then deciding once they get elected who is going to be in charge of what or worse still, deciding that they are all going to be in charge of everything.

We need to formally decide which basic tasks are required to be performed for the series by the SN BOD, categorize those tasks by logical association (one group of associated tasks per individual), then elect one individual per task category to serve as SN BOD members based on their interest and ability.

Electing someone because they are a "good guy" is fine as long as they are going to be good at doing what they are elected to do.
September 18, 2013 10:09PM
I think that there needs to be a way for the players of the series to vote on items , if this is really a player run series. I still think there needs to be a way for the board to survey the player's opinion on different issues if they are going to run the series. Votes could be taken at tournament for those who do not get on the form. I don't want to put more on the TD's than they already have but I know the issue of non forum players having a voice and I don't know any other way to do it.
September 24, 2013 08:18PM
I would like to see 150 mile rule to go away. This is a bad rule. Gas is a lot higher now. I don't think that players should have to travel to play in a southern nationals event because someone is having one 140 miles away. I think that tds should realize that if they want people to travel it should be worth their wild. So if you are having a small tournament, another city should be able to have one if they want to. If this is truly a players series, why force them to travel. Disc golf is a hobby or most people. It would be nice to be able to play close to home, not cost so much money and get points for playing. I'm interested to hear what other people think about this. Please give me your opinion.
September 24, 2013 08:28PM
Sounds like a great idea to me southside.
September 24, 2013 08:34PM
the only way that would work southside, is if we put a cap on non 150 mile tournaments, like say 50 people or less capped, and then you could shorten the distance to say 50 miles, of course we will entertain idea's from the players, so I would like to hear from the series

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
Anonymous User
September 24, 2013 08:56PM
Southside, of course this doesn't affect you cause you live in Mobile but for nearly every other SN city it does. Say Tupelo had a tournament the same weekend as Hamilton Alabama. Barely over 50 miles apart. Well on a weekend when Tupelo wasn't having a tournament of course I'd drive over, and same goes for them but since we are both having a tournament the same day it will kill attendance. Of course you live in Mobile and have never seen a tournament with less than 50 players. Maybe you should travel more.
September 24, 2013 08:57PM
Don't see why not a td can go head to head and player play were they want to. Now tds have to do a better job with pay out and tournament . Competition is not a bad thing.
September 24, 2013 09:12PM
The 150 mile rule is a cap on SN growth. I would need some statistical analysis to know if our head is bumping against the cap yet. If the sport continues to grow the mileage protection will need reduction but the SN should never cap event size.
Anonymous User
September 24, 2013 09:17PM
Do you not understand that not everyone lives in Mobile? It sounds like you can not fathom a tournament with less than 50 players. This past weekend there was a PDGA tournament in Memphis and a tournament about 50 miles or so in Holly Springs. Memphis had 34 players and Holly Springs had 51. If Memphis wouldn't of had their tournament Holly Springs would of had at least 70. If Memphis would of been the weekend before or after I would of played it but because holly springs was closer I chose it.
September 24, 2013 09:34PM
I don't think you understand that no one is going to drive to tournament with no added cash anyway. If you are not a pro why drive more than 50 miles to play anyway? Small towns should not be able hold a bigger city hostage because they want to have a tournament. Have your tournament play the people that show up.
September 24, 2013 09:39PM
The Cap makes it really hard for non annual events to get on the schedule, I've been trying to work out a 3 event date swap and it is almost impossible with the crowded SN Schedule. Sunday events are an option but from what I've seen in the past, Sunday events don't pull the attendance wanted.

I think one fix would be making the millage loop smaller for the bigger cities, for example Mobile, New Orleans, Memphis, and maybe Jackson, these cities are going to be able pull large numbers with a 75 mile loop because the amount of players in the area.

The way the millage works right now. an area like mine can only host an event 1 week in the next 2 an half months and has to compete with one of the biggest events on the schedule (Lee Naquin) and this isn't even the busiest time of the year.
September 24, 2013 10:24PM
its different where you live southside, but here in louisiana, our players routinely drive up to 200 miles to play tournaments, even the small ones.

September 25, 2013 07:48AM
The people that drive 200 miles are on the tour they are going to play no matter what. What are talking about is 150 mile rule helping a TD with attends . It dose not make to me make 50 people drive 150 miles to play in a tournament . You have your tournament we have ours your happy I'm happy I'm happy and we both have $75 dollars in our pocket!!!:-) That make sense?
September 25, 2013 08:18AM
What about if we left the rule, but made an amendment that said, if both TD's agree, then the rule is set aside, this then gives the TD's that dont wanna compete the option?

September 25, 2013 08:58AM
How about you think about it for a min if you don't have $1500 added no 150 rule. If don't much effort in to your tournament why do have the benefit of the 150 rule?
September 25, 2013 09:00AM
But does added cash constitute effort into a tournament? There could be a situation where a TD has expended all resources to get money, but there just isn't enough to go around in the small town. Again, every disc golf tournament doesn't take place in a large town/city.
September 25, 2013 09:08AM
We would def not base it on added cash. A lot of tournament directors put a lot of effort into their tournaments, but do not have the ability to do added cash.

Anonymous User
September 25, 2013 09:10AM
niklpenny Wrote:
> What about if we left the rule, but made an
> amendment that said, if both TD's agree, then the
> rule is set aside, this then gives the TD's that
> dont wanna compete the option?

That is the rule. You might want to read them. And a book on grammar while you're at it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2013 09:12AM by Bluff Magee.
September 25, 2013 10:10AM
If don't want your two dollars a head that's fine we going to have our tournaments when we won't going forward. Now just keep in mind we are the guys that gave $2300 one year $1500 the next year we feed the SNDG PC Cost us $750 to feed them. How do you think we come up this money ? Do you think it easy for because we live in Mobile? It makes it hard raise money when you can't have a tournament because someone 150 miles away is having a tournament that you really don't want to go because it's going to cost $75 in gas $45 to $65 to play $ 10 to eat . Now let's say you won $150 dollars in plastic retail that cost about $65 if you buy straight from the company which not hardly any of you do. If you do it right you have a tournament with a killer pay out. You got to put effort in to it. But do I know about putting on a tournament. If some of you want to see how we do it come help us this year . I think you could learn a lot about how we do it. Please don't take this the wrong way but I think we got this tournament thing down. Let us help you and help us get rid of the 150 rule.
September 25, 2013 10:18AM
^^ Are u mad about Tony moving your kickoff turny to a Sunday??? Is that where all this is stemming from? Rules are rules Homie.

BMB
September 25, 2013 10:36AM
You started a sentence with And...so let's not talk about my grammar

Bluff Magee Wrote:
> niklpenny Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > What about if we left the rule, but made an
> > amendment that said, if both TD's agree, then
> the
> > rule is set aside, this then gives the TD's
> that
> > dont wanna compete the option?
>
> That is the rule. You might want to read them. And
> a book on grammar while you're at it.

September 25, 2013 11:49AM
I'm not mad at Tony at all I think he should able to have a tournament when ever he wants to . Just like think we should be able to.Now this is how it is we know players want to get there points. We play SNDG and try to help out the people that help us Jim Key Chains MDGA and so on.We moved our tournament because we respect Tony .I have no idea when the Kick Off will be next year be but if turns out that we pick the same weekend so be it . If we got the date first We have no problem with letting him have SNDG Tournament and have no problem if dose not want us to have ours .I hope we can find different weekends . We have no problem going head to head with anybody sanction or not our reputation speaks for its self. We want send SNDG $2 a head if they want it but if they don't fine I think mobile will support us and will put $2 dollars a head in the payout. No sweat off our back.
September 25, 2013 01:07PM
Your a bit egotistical .goggle that for definition, because after looking at your post I'm suprised you can even read.
4real tho! Carry on.....

BMB
September 25, 2013 01:13PM
I believe that the 150 mile rule was put in so that we can spread around people having bigger events. Mobile has the most courses with the most players and for good reason. With the schedule filling up so quickly no a days, a good problem to have, we have to look at solutions to help everyone. The issue is that Mobile can hold a tournament every weekend at a different course for almost two months and each event would get over 100 players at each event. Another great problem. People do travel to Mobile to play the events because the competition level, amount of players, and great payouts.

Others running events close enough for Mobile to travel to their events to allow some of us/them to see our courses and how we do things.

I know from my end, we enjoy Mobile being the epicenter of the SN, but would love some understanding that we would love some of the pie also.

Nothing in my post is meant to be negative, but to show a great problem we are having

"HOGMAN"
HyZer Nation
September 25, 2013 01:33PM
Like I said before change the rule or don't it's up to you. But all SouthSide tournament will on Saturday from now on . We hope that they are SN but if not so be it. We don't mind sending the $2 but if don't want that's fine. I hope you all get over 100 golfer's at your tournaments. Like Hogman said not meant to be negative .
Anonymous User
September 25, 2013 03:01PM
niklpenny Wrote:
> You started a sentence with And...so let's not
> talk about my grammar
>

You have much to learn.

[www.dailywritingtips.com]

Can You Start Sentences with "And" or "But"?

In the past, English teachers used to preach that one should never start a sentence with conjunctions like and or but. Does this rule still apply today?

Not entirely. It is already acceptable to start sentences with such conjunctions. Some authorities, in fact, even defend that for some cases conjunctions will do a better job than more formal constructions. Here is a quotation from Ernest Gowers addressing the usage of and on the beginning of sentences:

"That it is a solecism to begin a sentence with and is a faintly lingering superstition. The OED gives examples ranging from the 10th to the 19th c.; the Bible is full of them."

While it is acceptable to use such conjunctions to start a sentence, you should still use them carefully and efficiently, else your text might become choppy.

Secondly, many people still regard such usage as informal. If you are writing a formal piece or if you are not sure how your audience might react to conjunctions at the beginning of a sentence, you could substitute them with more formal terms.
September 25, 2013 03:13PM
My spelling sucks and left a word out here and there. Oooo and my grammar sucks to egotistical don't think so.That was a good one you guys are a hoot!!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 28
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013