Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Novice Rules Infractions

Posted by ThomasD 
Novice Rules Infractions
October 23, 2013 03:17PM
Played with a family this past weekend that has only been playing for a month or so. The husband recently played in a tournament in the Novice division. He said that he was penalized by a fellow competitor several times for foot faults. That really shocked me. First off, anyone who knows the rules that well and is that competitive should no longer by playing "Novice". Secondly, why make someones first tournament a bad experience? The guys said he was way over par and in no danger of cashing. Perhaps a "mentor" for lack of a better word, should walk with the Novice division to offer tips and suggestions and mention the rules, but not enforce them to a serious extent.

i just always thought novice was for beginners only and rules were laxed.
Re: Novice Rules Infractions
October 23, 2013 03:43PM
I've known quite a few people who were intellectually inclined enough to want to learn all the rules of the sport in detail yet still lack the skill to be a recreational bagger. If TD's would run the Novice/Rec division the way it should be, basically no financial incentive to win via players pack = entry fee, then even baggers would get bored with the division. It is a tournament beginner division not a playing beginner division. Therefore strict enforcement of the rules is appropriate and the whole point of having that division in a sanctioned tournament. The tournament beginner gets to learn the rules in a division in which any rule violation penalties are essentially free (nothing to lose but pride).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2013 03:45PM by Discjazz.
October 23, 2013 03:59PM
I've always told a player in the novice division about foot faults, falling putts, etc, but told them to just keep doing what you do for the tournament, but work on correcting these infractions before next tournament. It's supposed to be a learning experience for a novice, not a reason to not compete again.

Terry Zeringue
October 23, 2013 04:19PM
Agree with all the above posts.

The competitor stated as calling the foot faults should have played the "mentor" role and given the first-timer a reason to come back rather than a reason not to consider tournament play again! Undoubtfully, the guy caught a "bad group" as most players are eager to assist and "instruct" new blood!
October 24, 2013 07:35AM
I agree with what discjazz said about no financial incentive, that is how the first tournament I played was handled it was players pack and a trophy. We also had mixed cards for the first round, I know a lot of people do not like that idea, but I have to say that it was great as a first timer. I had a pro and an adv. player in my group and they where both very helpful not only with rules but also basic fundamentals, it made for a very good first time. It also, and this is the part I think I liked the most, let me see what can be done with a disc. Until then I had only played with new players and to get there and see how those guys could throw, opened my eyes and let me see I had a long way to go. I wish more TD's would do mixed cards, even if it was just AMs & Novice together.
October 24, 2013 08:54AM
Personally, I played for a little while before ever getting the nerve up to play in a tournament. When I did, I played AM or Intermediate, because even at that time, I thought Novice was for "beginner". Some people just jump right in and therefore don't know much about the rules, and may not even have much technique. Most people in Novice are playing for fun and a learning experience, and should not have to worry about being docked 6 shots in a round for falling putts, or stepping over, on, or beside a disc (most common infractions for beginners, which also have little bearing on them actually making a putt or shot). Anyone who feels compelled to repeatedly penalize someone for those infractions should not be in Novice, IMO.
October 24, 2013 09:08AM
It's all a learning experience if you want to play competitively then that's part of it. I know it's probably frustrating but, just take what you learned and don't make the same mistakes.
October 24, 2013 09:52AM
I see I'm in the minority here. Sure it's in their best interest to kick em while their down. "Hey I'm sorry you took a 9 on that hole, but look on the bright side, it only would have been a 7 without the penalty strokes" lol. Not to mention the 4 hour round that is the result of all that rule bickering coupled with beginner play.

Move up friggin baggers!
October 24, 2013 10:14AM
I agree it is more typical to see players advance in skill before they advance in strict rule adherence, but it happens a lot in the opposite order too and there is no reason to criticize that. Baggers should move up whether they are cheaters or not.
October 24, 2013 11:02AM
Yeah...bagging is bad in any amateur divisions but novice? Really?
October 24, 2013 11:25AM
One person in the group can not administer a penalty throw. The majority of the group must agree. Falling putts and foot faults have a warning before the group administers a penalty throw.

October 24, 2013 11:50AM
Actually that is no longer the case, Keith. A foot fault no longer has to be seconded by anyone in the group.
October 24, 2013 01:18PM
Well that's bs. So it's my word vs. yours and you're right because you called it? Despite nobody else seeing or saying anything about it? Take to the review booth! lol

I don't play Novice, so I don't know if bagging is a problem. My logic is simply that if someone has played long enough to know the rules, and cares enough to enforce them that strictly, despite seeing that the person they are penalizing is neither in contention nor an experienced disc golfer, then they should be playing Intermediate at least.

Some dang cutthroats in that Novice division! lol
October 25, 2013 07:44AM
Only the first foot fault call can be made by someone other than the thrower which results in a warning. After that, foot fault calls must be called and seconded by players other than the thrower.
October 25, 2013 07:55AM
Thanks for clearing that up, Chuck!
October 25, 2013 02:31PM
One thing I try to help with/call the most is the foot fault and not because of the rule but because of safety. There is usually a surface in which to tee for a reason. Had this come up the other day with a guy that foot faulted on 4 or 5 holes and I finally said something to him about it in terms about rules as well as safety. Sure enough a couple holes later he foot faulted past the tee surface on his plant and it was slick/muddy so he slipped and did a number on his back and his drive. I worry more about safety than any perceived advantage it supposedly gives the player. Gotta let the noobs know so they don't mess up their backs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013