Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Lafayette Horse Farm Development

Posted by blueboy 
Lafayette Horse Farm Development
October 25, 2013 05:24PM
I went to one of the community input meetings today, and a larger disc golf presence at said meetings would be a very helpful thing for anyone who is able to do. One of the reasons is that they use interactive, audience voting to record "community input" which they claim will be a primary guidance for their ultimate plans. As a result, many different interests have been rounding up followers to attend these meetings and vote in blocs. Knowing this beforehand, I lobbied as best I could and we came in 2nd among "free play activities," but we have to consistently show up and vote. We should also vote for the proposed pond and other natural features, as they would make for a more interesting course.

Also, they allowed input as to where to place things in the park, so I voted for the course to be entirely on the left (S. College) side of the park, along the coulee. We can go nine out and nine in all along that side, long and more open on the right side of the woods and short(er) but treacherous along the coulee coming back in. It's similar to the States layout, but eliminates 80% of the total park space previously used for the temp course.

The "green space" folks who want nothing built anywhere were there in force, and I'm sorry, but most people in Lafayette want SOMETHING there, not an overwhelming development, but something more than just grass and trees. At the same time, a monstrous concrete zoo is not very appealing either. So, for those who can attend, the next meetings (and there will be interactive voting at all of them) are:

all locations in Lafayette

Sat. Oct. 26 - 8:00 am - 12:00 pm, Horse Farm (during farmer's market)

Tues. Nov. 19 - 11:00 am - 1:00 pm, Acadiana Center for the Arts
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm, South Regional Library

Wed., Nov. 20 - 11:00 am - 1:00 pm, South Regional Library
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm, Petroleum Club

Thurs. Nov. 21 - 11:00 am - 1:00 pm, Rosa Parks Transportation Center
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm - Martin Luther King Center

If you can't attend one of these meetings in person, you can still participate in the online voting, which you can do beginning Monday, according to their director. This is the link to their home page. If links to online voting aren't found through it by the end of the day Monday, I'll update this thread.

[www.lafayettecentralpark.org]
Re: Lafayette Horse Farm Development
October 25, 2013 06:05PM
Thanks for the info Chris. I haven't been active lately and didn't realize the meetings were being held.
October 25, 2013 07:19PM
Not many people did. They weren't on the website, and I get the feeling that the green space folks (the term is even on the website) wanted to stack things in their favor. Jacques had to find out from the KATC website. The farmers market will have nothing but these people in attendance, so if you could stop by between those hours tomorrow and fill out a vote card (or whatever method they're using), do so.

We won't outplay the big contractors (and they also sent people, to lobby for development), and the green people will be a pain in the @#$%&, but if they see how popular the sport is, they might be more receptive to having a course. The biggest selling points I've been pitching are (to the developers) it would take up minimal space along narrow and mostly undevelop-able, often slanted terrain, leaving most of the flat space unused and (to the green space folks) that it requires minimal interference with nature. Some don't care. Even the thought of baskets lights their hair on fire, but try anyway.

And definitely vote online. That goes for all disc golfers reading this, especially Lafayette golfers.
October 26, 2013 01:45AM

didn't realize the meetings were being held.

Joe, I commend the organization for even having meetings at all but they have done an extremely poor job of getting the word out about them, almost to the point of being suspicious.

I am planning to attend the one at the property tomorrow morning on my way home from work. We (ADGA & Flight Club) will definitely make our presence felt at the November dates.

As Chris stated, there are two factions with polar opposite visions for the park vying for consideration. Hopefully, compromise wins the day and the eventual plan falls somewhere between a vacant lot and wall-to-wall ball fields. I think we stand a good chance if that is the case.

Chris will be providing a direct link to the online voting once it is up and running.
October 26, 2013 05:13PM
Went out there this morning and filled out a vote card. I saw a lot of the same people I saw yesterday, but some disc golfers as well.

Don't forget to also vote for the pond. We need a water hazard.
October 28, 2013 01:19PM
Here it is. Please take a few minutes to fill it out. If they are truly interested in community feedback, they'll take notice.

[lafayettecentralpark.org]
October 28, 2013 01:40PM
I filled it out. Hope it is successful.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
October 28, 2013 02:51PM
Thanks, Casey. Move up, bagger.
October 28, 2013 05:04PM
Lol

Nick Robichaux
Acadiana Disc Golf Assoiciation and Flight Club Disc Golf
PDGA# 54519
October 28, 2013 05:31PM
Joking. Thanks for the input, Casey and others.
October 28, 2013 07:32PM
It is important that the survey is filled out and you indicate Disc Golf in SUGGESTED ACTIVITY tab.
Support for disc golf lagged behind a lot of other activities in the workshops and it is not longer listed.
But we have a chance to get it back if and only if we get folks to fill out the survey.
So folks outside of Lafayette who would like to see another disc golf course in Lafayette, please help.
October 28, 2013 09:22PM
Oh, don't you worry. It will appear again. I promise you.
October 28, 2013 09:44PM
Filled out the survey and added Disc Golf as a suggested activity. Can this survey be filled out more than once?
October 28, 2013 11:00PM
What "workshops?" They took it off today, but it will be back. The bitter, battered-children will lose, as always.

What we need to do is demand that disc golf be re-entered as a consideration. I posted this vote on Facebook yesterday, and I'm sorry if my involvement led to some ineffectual dipshit making phone calls, but the mob rules. If we vote for disc golf, it will be included, but only if we show our numbers. I'm sorry if someone decided to use this as a personal attack against disc golf or me personally, but again, if we vote, they will have to take notice. Please do so.
October 30, 2013 01:46AM
Spoke face to face with everyone at Flight Club last Saturday and again at Sunday doubles about this. I will print something out to distribute this weekend for the folks that don't read this site or facebook.

You don't have to be from Lafayette to do the survey and Lafayette folks don't have to be disc golfers to suggest that a disc golf course be installed at the park.

Please follow the link provided above and help us get the numbers we need to get our foothold established.
October 30, 2013 03:38PM
A lot of people have told me that they voted online and plan to attend the meetings. However, even if we aren't included in the initial plan, we can always wait for them to complete the park and try again then. I don't think they are going to build a lot on the property, at least, not enough to make having a course impossible. Their contract says they can't build large, organized sports facilities or other major complexes, so we should have room when they finish. Even if we don't get to have a permanent course, I have been assured by the chairman and 2 board members that we can install temp courses for tournaments.

But, you know, vote anyway.
October 31, 2013 03:40PM
November 09, 2013 09:42AM
The online survey closes this Monday, November 11th. Please take a few minutes to help us make sure Disc Golf recieves the consideration it deserves.
November 12, 2013 04:07PM
I ran into the planning director the other night. She told me that over 21,000 people participated in the survey, from the focus groups and website. Most were online participants, and I'm sure many of you had a lot to do with it, so thanks. We'll continue to attend the meetings on the 19th, 20th and 21st and see where we are.
November 14, 2013 07:15PM
Final Workshops for the Horse Farm Development..... hopefully we will have some disc golf advocates show up.
November 19, 2013 10:20PM
My dad saw Cheryl Perret earlier tonight and she told him that a group of disc golfers made a great presentation to the park board. She said that she was very impressed.

Whoever it was (David?), good job.
November 20, 2013 12:13AM
I attended the meeting earlier this evening. Ben & Wyatt were there also.

Disc Golf wasn't being considered until the online survey showed an interest, no doubt because of our efforts and the help of our SN friends. Thank you all!

All Lafayette golfers who declared they would attend one of the meetings tomorrow or Thursday need to follow through on it. There are 25 interactive survey questions and one of them is specifically about putting a Disc Golf course in the park. Also, there are maps of the property on each table which you fill out which activities you want and where you want them. Spread out, don't sit together, and make sure a Disc Golf course shows up on as many of these maps as possible.

I felt less than 50% confident before tonight, but now I think we have a real shot at pulling this off.

Also, just like last time, these meetings will have an online continuation for others to participate so we will surely be asking for everyone's help once again.
November 20, 2013 01:05AM
Well, I'm told that Cheryl and others sounded very positive about the presentation and the prospect of putting in a course. Good job. I'll be at the Petroleum Club tomorrow night with my grandmother.
November 20, 2013 04:24AM
From The Daily Advertiser 'Lafayette Residents Share Their Vision for the Horse Farm' in today's paper...

Tom Green wants a veterans memorial that includes an educational element about U.S. wars. Lisa Day wants an amphitheater and playground. Shawn Johnson wants an 18-hole disc golf course.

One half of Team Irish Thunder doing work.
November 20, 2013 03:15PM
Team Irish Curse.

or Your Hibernian Overlords, if you prefer.
November 21, 2013 08:12AM
Round Two of surveys for the Horse Farm! and Disc Golf is in the survey. Please everyone if you can and take the time to complete the survey!

Nick Robichaux
PDGA# 54519
November 21, 2013 10:04AM
[lafayettecentralpark.org]

Nick Robichaux
PDGA# 54519
November 21, 2013 11:15AM
Well, the meeting last night went fairly well, but I think we got kind of screwed. Maybe they thought they were doing us a favor by highlighting us, but instead of lining us up against the other proposed activities, they did an up/down vote for disc golf alone. It's a simple numbers game. We had to have 50% support to "win" the vote - yes or no. We got something like 30%, mostly because many people either weren't familiar with the sport or thought it would keep other activities from being implemented. No other activity had to pass that 50/50, yes or no test.

So we need numbers at the meetings. One is starting right now and another is at 6 tonight. See above, and yes, complete the online survey.
November 21, 2013 06:53PM
We are doing something right.
When I walked out of the workshop this afternoon at Rosa Parks. A fellow of about 35 years old was commenting to a couple of others that the disc golf folks must be bringing in people from outside to inflate their numbers. No, he just doesn't realize how many folks are dedicated to the sport and how many casual players we have in Lafayette.

The up and down vote had disc golf with over 60% approval. With several tables with at least a few holes on their maps. Ski and Johnathan were there, didn't recognize anyone else.

Again, I have to say you guys are doing a great job. Now, tell your friends and families to fill out the new survey, it will help get this course in.
November 21, 2013 07:56PM
I had sent this presentation to EB Brooks and asked that she have the board review it. It may be what Ms. Perret was talking about.

Link:
Presentation

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2013 07:58PM by ArcHyzer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013