Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Lafayette Horse Farm Development

Posted by blueboy 
Re: Lafayette Horse Farm Development
November 21, 2013 09:46PM
Very nice slide show...hope this all works out to the tune of 18 more!

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
November 22, 2013 03:34AM
I agree, David did a good job with that presentation, Doug. Chris has also been following this project closely along with many others.

It was explicitly stated at the meeting that I attended that Disc Golf made it through to the second round of polling exclusively because of the online continuation of the October survey.

The demographics in the in person meetings have been decidedly older than the online voting and it follows that our sport doesn't resonate with the 60 and up crowd who are lobbying for a horticultural center. I remain convinced that our presence at these latest meetings will help, as will David's presentation but they will both pale in comparison to the online follow up.

Nick posted a link earlier in this thread. Everybody please take a few minutes and take this current survey. Be honest about the othet questions but make sure to affirm Disc Golf as an included activity.
November 22, 2013 09:39AM
Here is the link for the survey again!
[lafayettecentralpark.org]

Nick Robichaux
Acadiana Disc Golf Assoiciation and Flight Club Disc Golf
PDGA# 54519
November 22, 2013 11:51AM
just completed survey

Terry Zeringue
November 22, 2013 12:45PM
Yeah, I got that feeling too - that they thought it was just a handful of players who were trying to inflate our numbers. Irony.

Are we doing the Mid Winter Open this year? If so, we should invite one of them to come out. Here is the December schedule of horse farm events.

ETA: That was a nice presentation, David. Also, someone suggested that we get a representative from one of those famous parks to write a letter to the board explaining how disc golf fits into their p;arks and coexists with several other activities.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2013 01:37PM by blueboy.
November 22, 2013 07:52PM
So yesterday afternoons meeting, I had the one man I didn't want at my table. Mr. Nature Station thorn in our side sense day one at Acadiana Park. He is also part of there ecological planning team for designing the new park. He spent his time observing our table voting for someone that wasn't there and shooting down every positive comment I made about disc golf with erosion and plant life destruction that he claims to have witnessed at Acadiana park because of disc golf. I corrected him when he told the other two people at my table that the disc golfers don't really care about nature. And asked him how long it has been sense his last visit to Acadiana? Which he stated that it has been over a year sense he has been out there. I explained to him and the others that the ADGA and Flight Club have started building bulkheads to combat against erosion on several of the holes. David, and Ski had much better luck at there tables, and I believe if memory serves me correctly the approval for disc golf was around 52% at that meeting.

The meeting last night was much better as the demographics were mostly in the 20-30 year old's. The table I was at was all for disc golf, and two other tables were as well. Leaving only one table not in favor, and guess who was observing that table. He came up to me at the end of the meeting while I was talking to one of the project engineers for the park and condescendingly asked me how receptive was my table this evening. To which I responded with "they are all for it"! Disc golf had a 57% approval on last nights poll. Also no worries, I was polite with "him" and everyone one else. Catch more flies with honey and all that jazz.

Also Nick, David, Myself and a couple others have posted links to the survey on our Facebook pages and groups. To which I know at least twenty of my friends outside of disc golf have now filled out the survey sense yesterday. So if any of the rest of you guys and gals that have Facebook pages and groups to post up this survey, please do so as the survey ends on Monday the 25th of November. That's in three days!!!!!

We can do it!
November 23, 2013 12:39AM
I am afraid Mr.Nature Station does have a very good point in that the erosion at Acadiana Park does need to be addressed.
November 23, 2013 08:36AM
That's what I'm talking about when I said others seemed to be manipulating the vote. They've accused us of doing it because that's what they're doing. Gotta love the hypocrisy. I don't think they understand Lafayette. Even if they were to be successful and nothing or very little was built on the property, people would instantly get mad and change it. Whether it's disc golf or something else, most people want there to be something in the park, and not just a walking path.

And the erosion doesn't have much to do with disc golf. The tree on 17 Ace Run was sliding off the edge of that drop-off long before we got there. It would be sideways right now if the disc golfers hadn't done something to save it.
November 24, 2013 08:39PM
Local news story. Headline says "development" in general but the story is actually about residents not wanting a parking lot at the West Bayou access point.

[www.facebook.com]

If you encounter residents who live next to the park, remind them that parking lots on the property are there so that people don't park on their residential streets, and ESPECIALLY remind them that a nice, central park which people actually go to raises property values a lot more than a big, open field full of copperheads.
December 03, 2013 08:28AM
Today again, Dec. 3, at 11 and 6.

11 am - 1 pm: LITE Center, 537 Cajundome Blvd.

6 - 8 pm: South La. Comm. College Auditorium, Corner of Devalcourt and Luke St.
December 04, 2013 08:14PM
This is the third survey and we need your help to fill out the survey and vote for disc golf again.
There are more comment areas also and would suggest you comment on what should be in the park.
I suggested 9 fairways with 2 tees per fairway since the folks programming think they need to dedicate property exclusively to disc golf at one acre per hole.

December 05, 2013 12:58AM
Their plans are being presented to the Lafayette Parish Council on December 17th with specific design during the beginning of 2014 and construction starting next summer.

Once again, Disc Golf performed poorly at the in-person meetings but fared well online. This is due exclusively to who is in attendance at the meetings, the elderly "horticultural" contingent, the dyed-in-the-wool tree huggers and a few normal folks.

THE ONLY WAY DISC GOLF MAKES IT WILL BE FROM A STRONG SHOWING IN THIS LAST SURVEY AND WE NEED YOUR HELP WITH THIS, SO PLEASE TAKE A MINUTE TO FILL IT OUT.

I was a little surprised and discouraged when they announced that the long, thin strip in the back of the property is currently out of their design. I thought that area was most realistically suited to Disc Golf in the scope of a larger park plan.

I am sure this is related to Chris' post above that mentions residential opposition to development in this area. Important to note that the residences in this area don't belong to the po-folks like me and you so I am sure there are some strings being pulled.
Dex
December 05, 2013 11:13AM
Survey Complete

Do not want police stables at the park, it would surely throw off the smell of the Gardens

Dex
December 05, 2013 04:55PM
Yeah, the police wanted 25 acres. I wasn't opposed to a stable, but that's way too big.

I didn't really see a lot of potential with the back strip. The houses are too close (yes, the residents were the most concerned) and there really aren't any features. Also, it's too thin to go out and back with course design. You'd just have to play a hole going out and walk all the way back up the fairway to the next tee. I think you could put as long as a 7000 ft course going up and back the left side, along the right of the oaks and back, or longer with 9 baskets and multiple tees.

But course design is a long way off at this point. We may end up regretting the choice to become part of this process. It's too contentious and people have no idea what little impact we have. Like I've said, they think disc golf will prevent other things from happening and others seem to think we're trying to pull a fast one with inflated numbers. However, if the deck had remained stacked in the "build nothing" nature station people's favor, we and many other interests may never have or have had a chance at all, present or future. So, if we can at least support the semi-development crowd, we may have an opportunity that

Jacques is right, though. We needed more people at the meetings. I've been sick lately so I missed the most recent ones. I'll definitely be at the city council meeting. Hopefully, I'll see a lot of you there.
December 16, 2013 01:43PM
Tomorrow night is the big city council meeting.

5:30 - 6:30
City Council Chambers
705 W. University Ave.
December 17, 2013 01:50AM

Tomorrow night is the big city council meeting.

Gird your loins, son. HAHA
December 17, 2013 04:16PM
I think tonight is the announcement of their plans, hopefully the result of public input. I'll be there.

If we didn't make the cut, we can always try again after the smoke clears. At this point, I'm just rooting for certain people to lose.
December 17, 2013 09:04PM
Well, we were on the list of 32 activities that made it to the final suggestion/presentation phase. Thanks to everyone who has participated. Further public input and participation events will be held beginning next year as they continue to work on park design and finalize what activities are to be included. Therefore, we'll be posting schedules and urging people to attend.

Again, thanks for participating. I think those of you who answered the online survey were the ones to push it over the top.
December 18, 2013 09:11AM
If this were Wheel of Fortune, we have made it out of contestant's row, played a pricing game, spun the big wheel and got 75 cents. We haven't made it through to the showcase yet, but I have reason to believe we may.

The only reason Disc Golf is still on the programming list is because of the online surveys and we owe everyone a major debt of gratitude for helping us with this!

Also, if you ever find yourself in the mood to hear a clinically insane person address a large gathering of people, I urge you to attend a Lafayette Parish Council meeting and make sure you stay for the public comment portion. That is when John Q. Citizen has five minutes to go completely off the reservation and address the council with any topic they want that isn't on that night's meeting agenda. It is delightfully entertaining.
December 18, 2013 10:56AM
LOL, I bet. On a separate topic, is Lafayette planning on hosting tournaments in 2014, specifically the Mid-Winter Open? I noticed that it wasn't on the schedule as of now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
December 18, 2013 11:14AM
Jacques is going to post something up soon Casey. As of right now, it is planned for the 18th of January.
December 18, 2013 11:45AM
Johnathan Nyce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jacques is going to post something up soon Casey.
> As of right now, it is planned for the 18th of
> January.

Cool. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
December 18, 2013 12:36PM
Jacques, I think you've got your game shows mixed up. Good analogy. Wrong show.

December 18, 2013 11:12PM

I think you've got your game shows mixed up

Bob Barker would beotch slap me.

is Lafayette planning on hosting tournaments in 2014

Yeah, we might host a few. I'm waiting to see how long I can go before Joe sends me a PM to remind me about scheduling. HAHAHAHA, just kidding misterbogey.

The 15th Annual Meed-Weenter Open will in fact be held on January 18th at Pa Davis. A tournament thread is forthcoming.
December 19, 2013 07:02PM
Someone had asked about the tournament in the forums a few weeks back (Chris I think). I didn't see a response so I figured you were too busy raising cane so there wasn't going to be one this year. But we do really MEED one!
December 19, 2013 11:44PM
He is pretty witty for a oldtimer! LOL ^^^^^^
December 20, 2013 06:06PM
Johnathan Nyce Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He is pretty witty for a oldtimer! LOL ^^^^^^

Who you calling witty...I mean old?
December 20, 2013 07:28PM
LOL
December 20, 2013 07:29PM
Yeah, that was me. Thought it was a secret or something.
April 06, 2014 05:10PM
Bump for another round of polling. It doesn't take long.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 32
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013