Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Grip and Distance?

Posted by ThomasD 
Grip and Distance?
November 11, 2013 02:34PM
What grip do you use for driving, what is your go-to long distance driver, and how far is your average drive?

I use a fan grip (RHBH), a Katana, Orc, or D4, and I don't break 350 very often. As a result, I'm searching for distance and considering a grip change.
Re: Grip and Distance?
November 11, 2013 03:40PM
Don't know what to call it but I use all four fingers on the rim. Star Tern, Champion Tern or Crank forehand and Z Nuke forehand, depending on wind conditions. Longest throw on level ground is 430' with a Star Tern and 3-5 mph tailwind. Probably average around 350-360' on distance throws.
November 11, 2013 06:15PM
RHBH
Just pure distance with no regard for accuracy, Power Grip with a D4 or Pro Katana. 400'+
Controlled distance, Finesse Grip with a Metal Flake Tern or Star Destroyer. 365'

RHFH
Star Destroy, Power Grip (where it looks like You're flipping the bird" 300' no accuracy.
November 11, 2013 06:58PM
RHBH
Power Grip Dynamic Renegade Hyzer Flip 450-500ft(my longest throw was 576), Modified Power Grip Dynamic Trespass Hyzer Bomb 400ft

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
November 11, 2013 07:05PM
November 11, 2013 07:50PM
Drive for show putt for $$$$....that being said I can't do either one....

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
November 11, 2013 07:53PM
RHBH average, controlled distance is 375 ft. throwing a Wraith with a power grip. Same disc and grip for a distance line, but I can throw 450+ ft. then.

I throw all shots with a power grip, probably from my ultimate background. I throw wraiths, destroyers, buzzz's, omegas, and Teebirds.

280-300 ft. = putter
300-330 ft. = midrange
330-370 ft. = fairway
370+ ft. = driver
November 12, 2013 07:57AM
I call b.s. on some of this. Especially niklpen throwing 576 ft. In the air???And on another thread sayn he hit 6 aces/tee shots in a round that didn't stick. If that.s indeed the case you should consider playing pro.

BMB
November 12, 2013 07:59AM
Bonopane grip helps you get the nose of the disc down for more lift upon release, especially for those who have trouble cocking their wrist to get the nose down with the power grip. Here's my version if you can see this on my Facebook page: [www.facebook.com]

Otherwise, here's Dave Dunipace's version of the Bonopane grip (see Specialty grip section) for those with longer fingers: [www.innovadiscs.com]
November 12, 2013 08:58AM
So for those of you that throw power grip, do you have the pads of your fingers on the rim? Is your index finger on the rim as well? Where's the most pressure, middle finger?
November 12, 2013 09:35AM
BRIAN B Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I call b.s. on some of this. Especially niklpen
> throwing 576 ft. In the air???And on another
> thread sayn he hit 6 aces/tee shots in a round
> that didn't stick. If that.s indeed the case you
> should consider playing pro.

He seems like quite the liar. Watch it Brian, you might get banned! LMAO!
November 12, 2013 11:58AM
Well my friend, at least 10 people were there to see me hit the basket 6 times at Crystal Springs.
Don't think I can throw over 500?
Bring your laser and I will prove you wrong

BRIAN B Wrote:
> I call b.s. on some of this. Especially niklpen
> throwing 576 ft. In the air???And on another
> thread sayn he hit 6 aces/tee shots in a round
> that didn't stick. If that.s indeed the case you
> should consider playing pro.

November 12, 2013 11:59AM
Pretty sure this is Dillon
I am the farthest thing from a liar

BrandonB04 Wrote:
> BRIAN B Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I call b.s. on some of this. Especially niklpen
> > throwing 576 ft. In the air???And on another
> > thread sayn he hit 6 aces/tee shots in a round
> > that didn't stick. If that.s indeed the case
> you
> > should consider playing pro.
>
> He seems like quite the liar. Watch it Brian, you
> might get banned! LMAO!

November 12, 2013 01:32PM
I average maybe 375- 400 ish? longest maybe 450? I use destroyers for accurate long shots and the champion tern is probably my longest disc. I use a modified fan grip/stackgrip/climo grip for everything...except putting. My distances could be off but I am somewhere around there I think.
November 12, 2013 02:59PM
I see a lot of terns mentioned. What's it like a suped-up Valkyrie or Sidewinder? How wide is the rim?
November 12, 2013 03:12PM
I got a lot more distance by developing a better wind-up and delivery, not necessarily a better grip. What the guy in Nyce's video says about reaching back, pulling the right way and following through are the best pieces of advice. I'm 42 and almost tagged the Sunday soccer-fan cop cars on Acadiana #18.
November 12, 2013 03:17PM
I've been using the power grip for years now.
I use it for everything except putting, but I will throw putters for drives using the power grip.
It takes a little getting used to but when you get it figured out its great.
I can throw for 500+ with accuracy. I can also throw 250 with accuracy.
Never used a modified version or a fan-grip so I can't comment on those styles.
Any more Info you need feel free to pm me.
I've also developed, what I call my own style for forehand throws. It's not unique but I would guess less than 5% use this style to forehand.
I use the forehand for a lot of drives.
My forehand is very accurate and I prefer to use it for up shots over a backhand putter shot.

It was longer when I was younger....
"That's what she said"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2013 03:28PM by SuperSheaps.
November 12, 2013 06:24PM
Cool video and a lot of good tips for me. He should have given me some tips the other day! Got to play with him first round of the Lee Naquin. He was obviously off and only got me by 3 lol.
K3
November 13, 2013 09:08PM
Well, PowerGripping is a great way of achieving more distance. Personally that's what I use and I get around 400-450 (keep in mind i'm only 15 so muscle has nothing too do with it) I usually use destroyers for max distance, maybe hyzer-flip a tern. Key to getting a lot more distance is to put snap on your drives literally when I got into the habit of doing that I was putting about 150ft more on my drives. But usually whatever is more comfortable for you will work better than anything..

Good Luck!
November 18, 2013 11:38AM
I didn't realize how many top pros we have on this forum. Maybe I need to take some lessons from you guys :)

Mississippi State Disc Golf
November 18, 2013 01:21PM
Yea Ethan I'm up to about 650 ft with my condor now!
November 19, 2013 07:56PM
head Wrote:
> Yea Ethan I'm up to about 650 ft with my condor
> now!

Man, you must use some kind of modified fan grip to get that kind of distance :)

Mississippi State Disc Golf
November 19, 2013 10:23PM
Who's claiming to be a top pro?
November 20, 2013 11:30AM
I use power grip on everything but putting and very soft throws from 120' and in. I think my longest air shot with accuracy was 525' with a xcaliber, that's the longest i can remember.

Index finger is tucked under rim with the knuckle closet to fingernail wrapped in the grove of the rim. The middle and ring fingers have the most pressure on the rim itself, my fingernails are pretty much pressing on the underside of the disc. My little finger has pressure in the same manner as the other two,, but just not as much. When wrist is straight, my thumb is pointing in a straight line with my arm and wrist on most shots. When Im forcing a turnover out of my hand or for a forced turn for a roller, my thumb slides to the rim on the disc.

Terry Zeringue
November 20, 2013 01:23PM
Power grip. Star Tern. Average = 320. Occasional 350.
November 20, 2013 07:48PM
Seems like most people are powergripping and getting pretty good D. Tried the power grip a liitle and am having trouble keeping the nose down.
November 20, 2013 08:19PM
Elbow up, disc chest high, flat follow thru.
November 20, 2013 09:51PM
Lol I guess I made it sound like I'm a beginner. I've only been playing for 10 years. Lol

I'm capable of really good golf. Just need 50 ft to get on another level
November 21, 2013 09:27AM
ThomasD Wrote:
> Seems like most people are powergripping and
> getting pretty good D. Tried the power grip a
> liitle and am having trouble keeping the nose
> down.

Watch vids on power grip, especially how to place the disc in the hand. Really easy to get nose up if the disc isn't wedged right in the first part of the grip.
November 22, 2013 11:41AM
the main thing to think about though is that if the disc and grip doesn't feel comfortable in your hand, then chances are you won't throw it good.

Terry Zeringue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 4
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013