Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Roller Discs

Posted by jamesireland 
Roller Discs
November 20, 2013 01:00PM
I am going to play Pine Oaks DGC in Ocala, FL
and it used to be a ball golf course, so I am hoping to throw some big rollers..

problem is, I have never really played on a course that I had to throw rollers... so...

What discs do you guys use to throw long rollers (backhand)?

James Ireland
They're always after me lucky bag tag!
[www.ecdgc.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2013 01:02PM by jamesireland.
Re: Roller Discs
November 20, 2013 01:18PM
Champion Mamba and TP Underworld.
November 20, 2013 01:53PM
Star Wraith

If new to throwing long rollers then maybe a Valkyrie or Stingray

Terry Zeringue
November 20, 2013 07:53PM
Roadrunner
November 20, 2013 08:16PM
I use a beast or an eagle.
November 20, 2013 11:27PM
Discraft Nuke, and a Legacy Rampage!
November 21, 2013 08:13AM
Renegde and a beat up champion Katana for long sky rollers

Nick Robichaux
Acadiana Disc Golf Assoiciation and Flight Club Disc Golf
PDGA# 54519
December 01, 2013 09:49PM
Nuke.

Shane

Transparency of information breeds self correcting behavior!
December 08, 2013 03:31PM
The most important part about choosing a roller disc is having one that isn't too stable or too fast for your own arm. If your maximum distances float around 300-330 foot range you shouldn't be rolling with a Star Boss like Matt Orum would. Instead, find the most flippy, slow disc available. Dx Stingrays, Pro D Stratus, and older innova molds like the gazella,cheetah, and leopard are good choices.
December 11, 2013 06:55AM
I agree with Logan, I use a beat to snot DX Wraith.
December 11, 2013 02:26PM
Thanks guys...

One more question..

I don't generate tons of snap and spin on my discs, so would I be better off hyzer flipping a beat in disc.. like my
Pro Wraith or an old Elite X Xpress, and throw rollers that way.. because Sky Rollers don't work for me... or would I be better
off just throwing a backhand roller 150 ft to 220 ft in the air and letting the disc turn over and roll?

James Ireland
[www.ecdgc.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 02:26PM by jamesireland.
December 11, 2013 04:26PM
if you don't generate much spin, then get the disc to hit the ground early

Terry Zeringue
December 11, 2013 05:28PM
I played against Dave Feldburg in Minnesota last summer who can really roll a discs. We had a good conversation about why he rolls a discs instead of throwing a sidearm........cause he rolled a discs on nearly every sidearm hole even in the woods. IF the ground allowed it. He chose a ROADRUNNER for his longer rollers 350-450ft, but stuck to his Eagles for the short rollers. He also said he would use a Leopard if he wasn't so partial to the eagles. I have no idea what he uses these days.
December 13, 2013 12:39AM
I would say if you do not generate a lot of power behind your throw, then hyzer flipping a disc to roll it is not the way to go. You need to arch your back more and start your run up from the side of the tee (typical roller run-up). Its really strange to do at first but you will get used to it. I have a decent amount of power behind my throws and I have to get my rollers down pretty early.

I would try to get the disc on the ground within 100 feet of the tee pad to start and then work your way up to the big sky rollers after the power gets there.

Off topic: have I said lately how much I hate this forum? I cant use correct grammar in my posts, like apostrophes. It is so dumb

Mississippi State Disc Golf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2013 12:41AM by Ethan.
December 13, 2013 08:03AM
I can throw a disc around 340 to 380 consistently in the air,
but I have not gone into a field and practiced rollers... I have decent power behind throws,
but I don't really snap it, and generate the crazy spin like Matty O puts on it...

James Ireland
[www.ecdgc.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2013 08:03AM by jamesireland.
December 13, 2013 09:13PM
Going into the field will be your best bet at learning any kind of new shot.

Mississippi State Disc Golf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013