Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Tournament Directors and players

Posted by Trackin01 
Tournament Directors and players
November 29, 2013 07:30PM
What are your focuses when creating an event? Who do you target when getting players at your event?

#1 A few popular touring professionals

#2 The majority of your state

#3 Out of state players

#4 Just players to have a good time, rather its 20 players or 100 players

#5 What do you call a "Quality Event"
Re: Tournament Directors and players
November 30, 2013 02:21PM
For the Biloxi area I target #3 and #4

#3 because we are located only about an hour from Mobile and an hour and a half from New Orleans. That combined with the low numbers of in state players in the area leaves us almost dependent on out of state players.

#4 because if players don't have a good time at Your event then attendance is going to drop, unless You buy those players back in with huge payouts.

#5, for Me a quality event is one that has a solid flow throughout the day, has extra/side events going on to keep the player entertained, 100%+ payout, player pack is always nice, has areas with questionable O.B. lines clearly marked, lunch on site is always nice, and TD or Co-TD that has knowledge on the rules. I'm sure there is plenty more that could be added to the list and if a tournament doesn't have all of these I'm not saying that it is not a quality event.
Re: Tournament Directors and players
December 01, 2013 02:14AM

#2 The majority of your state

For a championship event (SN or state) I would hope to attract the majority of in-state travelling players.

#3 Out of state players

For "normal" tournaments, I'm happy with a few. For "marquee" tournaments, a few dozen is reasonable given our location.

#4 Just players to have a good time, rather its 20 players or 100 players

Don't come to a tournament in Lafayette if you don't want to have a good time. There's no sense getting everyone together to play Disc Golf and be miserable,

General comments...

We always try to feed lunch for free at every tournament without deducting the cost from the event. Anyone that has been to the grocery lately knows that is getting hard to do. Besides that, our local crew will eat you out of house and home if you let them. I know I had enough food for 120 people at the last tournament, 60 showed up and they cleaned house - nothing left but the plates.

Store-bought trophies/awards are a payout killer for something decent and aren't usually perceived as having a ton of value by the people that win them.

One "big" tournament a year is all we can handle from the point of view of volunteer and sponsorship fatigue. I prefer to hit up sponsors once annually for one big event and host a few smaller tournaments with few "added" amenities. They don't all have to be home runs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013