Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What is the most important thing about this series to you?

Posted by Johnathan Nyce 
What is the most important thing about this series to you?
December 19, 2013 11:58AM
I would like to hear from the players in our SN series on what is there favorite thing about this series, and how you think those positive things could be made better?

For myself, I would have to say the fellowship between players. The way we openly welcome new faces and make them feel as if they have been around for years. I think we should keep doing the same as we always have.
Re: What is the most important thing about this series to you?
December 19, 2013 01:12PM
The relaxed atmosphere in tournaments and in general. The series has gotten away from what it was created to do, which promote disc golf while having fun with your friends new and old. Everyone wants to change to a more "PDGA" atmosphere.....but what do I know?

December 20, 2013 12:23AM
I think the best thing about the southern nationals is the ease to run events and to find out about events. Most people have the opportunity to play a tournament within a reasonable distance every weekend of the year if they choose. It would be much more difficult to promote events without an organized body with a website and forum. It is also fun to have stats compiled for tournaments as well. The PDGA basically could serve the same function except that I feel like they make people less motivated to host tournaments because of their tedious processes and wanting to dictate to them how they are mandated to run their tournament. Obviously there are negatives to being so lax on regulations for TDs but I think that it creates more opportunities to play competitively.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
December 21, 2013 11:47AM
If I was a younger player and was progressing toward a Pro ranking I would be more inclined to play PDGA. But at my age and finding DG at a late age I enjoy the fellowship, relaxed, and yet competitive nature of the SNDG. Now do I want it so relaxed that I am paired with someone so drunk as to be a danger to himself and others, no I do not. Do I want it to be so relaxed that I am playing with others doing illegal activities, once again I do not. A casual round I can tolerate and then if I have enough take my discs and leave, but once I pay an entry fee I expect to be able for my rounds to be able to play DG and between throws talk about things in general. I do not think that is too much to ask. I pass judgement on no one, just be as respectful of my views during that time, and what you do at other times is your business.

The SNDG is more available in North MS than PDGA is right now, but the sport is not growing in my eyes as I see the same people at nearly every tournament. And those same people play the same classification most of the time. Would love to see more people moveup from Int. to Adv. I understand why and can't really blame them. I for one would love to move up to Pro Masters, but unless some guys come down from Memphis that field is very limited. Yet the Advance Masters group has grown to be one of the larger classes. So I can move up and try to play the local tournaments with one, two, maybe 3 participants or stay in ADV. Masters and test my skills against 8-16 fellow competitors. I could already play in the over 50 age yet play with the 40 and over just to be able play better competition in a larger field.

Finally I love that the tournaments are for the most part very affordable and the payouts in general are pretty good. If you play very long it does not take long to know who the really good TD's are. They go the extra mile and take some undue heat from time to time. I used to put on softball tourneys that involved over 400 players and officials and I know that is a headache. From what I have seen with DG is that it is even a bigger pain in the rear at times. Players cheating, confusion of rules, rule lords that spout rules like a judge. Many players that for some reason are not happy unless they are "bitchin" about something. But with all of what is perceived as wrong, there is about a 95% chance you will meet some great people and if you love DG have a great time.
December 23, 2013 03:08PM
The most important thing to me about the SNDG series: to provide a platform to maximize the opportunity for players to pool their money and compete to determine who is best in their respective division over a given weekend.

Gary Wagoner
December 23, 2013 04:57PM
My favorite thing is that many,, definitely not all, entry fees are cheap enough to be able to play many tournaments.

Terry Zeringue
December 29, 2013 10:39PM
Ricco,

If the top third of the Advanced Masters group moved it up, that would be a nice Pro Masters Group!

Shane

Transparency of information breeds self correcting behavior!
December 30, 2013 09:02AM
I agree Shane, now how do I get them to move up with me and not leave me hanging?
December 31, 2013 01:49AM
Taking Zinger's money from time to time. HAHAHA
December 31, 2013 02:22AM
I'm not sure about what is the most important thing.. but I would love to bring back up a topic that I still think makes the SN series not as good as it could be.

Ready for that word... Ratings..

Yes.. it's like the PDGA.. yes.. people can still attempt to bag there rounds to drop points to move down. Yes.. it's system that I am not 100% on how to put together. Yes I know it would take a lot of time from a group of people to create and follow through with it.

BUT the end results would in my eyes be better in the long run.

I'm not going to in anymore detail then that because I know this has been talked about over and over an over an over. But I have actually been debating on dropping playing any SN tourneys and go to a different series due to the lack of enforcement in the " baggers " And before you think it's in my division (( advanced men )) I'd say it's 90% in Novice & Am. Granted there is a couple guys in my opinion that could move up to Open. But moving from Advanced to Open is a huge step.

Don't want to do ratings? Here is another way I believe could help the am guys go to were they need to.

Limit the payouts. Put it into more trophy style and don't pay as deep. Can't tell you have many people I hear walk up to the board before signing up and go " hmmm which is the biggest division to get paid in.. " regardless of skill level they pick it in hopes of cashing out in the biggest pay outs.

So.. like I said I won't go on an on about it but I would like to see some thoughts go into this or if they are would love to hear what is being done about it :) Thanks guys
Dex
December 31, 2013 08:08AM
Ratings were being done by one individual who took it on his self to make it happen (Thanks Mike)

Seems as though players did not really care, but it sure was working well

Human nature will always bring out the, where can I get the biggest bang for my buck

these are just observations that I have seen, no discussion required

Happy New Year to everyone

Dex
December 31, 2013 01:05PM
What is this " no discussion required " ?

It's just a part of life and should be accepted?? Or.. what?
December 31, 2013 01:56PM
If it all went away, the thing that would be missed by one and all is the camaraderie and sense of being a part of something, many friendships and good deeds have come from the contact brought by the SN series !! it would be a shame to see it go.......
December 31, 2013 01:58PM
I'd agree with that.. I've made friends all over the gulf coast because of this series. That one of the good things that has come of this.
Dex
January 02, 2014 10:45AM
Mr Rob

No discussion, because it has been beat to death, for years and years, that is all I meant

should it remain the same? well, we had them and now we don't

hopefully we will move forward, we shall see

so that is the no discussion required

have a great day, I am going play golf

Dex
January 02, 2014 04:53PM
:) cool understood
January 06, 2014 12:10PM
For the second time,

The lack of integrity and leadership in the BOD.
January 07, 2014 10:49PM
Not getting my posts deleted.
It's happened several times now without warning or permission.
Nothing vulgar, illegal or sexual was said only opinions that weren't shared by DJ bOd member.
When is he quitting?
January 08, 2014 10:20AM
For us, the most important thing has been the tour schedule. We travel as much as we can and so knowing where we can go next has been great. We have made friends all over the south. Love the friendly nature at events.
I also like to see the results posted. It's nice to be able to look back on past tournaments to see turn-out in particular groups before we go.

I have never ran a Pdga event, so I can't comment on them, but i have run our last three Battle in the Boro tournaments in Jonesboro. As far as dealing with the SN, it was very stress-free and I think the fees are reasonable. Turning in money and scores was easy.
We have played many Pdga events and they don't seem to be ran much differently than the SN events we have attended. Some may be better than others, but that would mainly have to do with an organized and professional TD.

I also agree with most all of what Ricco said. I wish more people would move up when they should instead of worrying about how much they can win if they play down. We all would like to win, but most times, more competition makes a person even better than just a win. If ratings would help with making people play in a division they are qualified for, then that's something the BOD needs to look at.

I would not miss the childish behavior and name calling in this forum.

Just my two cents,
Laura Meyers
President, Jonesboro Disc Golf Club
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013