Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

SNPC/SNAC 2014 update

Posted by 3puttking 
SNPC/SNAC 2014 update
December 19, 2013 02:15PM
SNPC/SNAC 2014 update: The championships will both be held in Memphis on Labor Day weekend. We are considering altering the schedule of play though. I want to get some feedback as this is about serving the greater good. With the city working closely with us on this we are wanting to create the best atmosphere and turnout possible. We feel one way to do this is to stagger the starts of each championship. We are considering having the Ams play Saturday and Sunday and the Pros play Sunday and Monday. This would allow the ams to be finished and get to experience, caddy and learn from some of the top pros in the country for two full rounds of competition Monday. It does take away the extra day off from the pros to travel but in the grand scheme of things it ends up being no different than any other tournament you travel to. Our goal is to create a championship atmosphere in midtown Memphis that draws positive attention to our sport, SNDG and these championships. Grass Roots, all of our local clubs and the City of Memphis are looking forward to hosting both of these prestigious events. Your thoughts and comments are appreciated. JR
Re: SNPC/SNAC 2014 update
December 20, 2013 12:17AM
As an AM I would love to be able to watch the Pros play.
December 20, 2013 12:27AM
I don't dislike the idea but I feel like it would hurt pro attendance unless there is a significant guaranteed payout. I could be wrong though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
December 20, 2013 08:38AM
I like the idea but I don't think it would work out to well. Most AM's would be racing back home on Sunday to get ready for the work week on Monday. I see a huge attendance drop happening if you were to do this.
December 20, 2013 02:30PM
Personally I think many people would enjoy having Monday off to drive home. Not rushing back for work on Tuesday. You could do a round 3 cut for pros ending in a final 9 and give time for Ams to finish up and watch that.
December 20, 2013 04:24PM
Dylan Schultz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As an AM I would love to be able to watch the Pros
> play.

Ditto.
December 20, 2013 08:49PM
The Pro attendance will not be hurt at all. The payout will take care of that. I appreciate your input guys. Again, this is something we are leaning towards. It creates less travel between courses because we will only need to prepare 5 courses instead of 8 (which would be spread out across all sides of Memphis and create backlash from a logistical standpoint) if everyone plays saturday and sunday. Also it keeps courses that shouldnt be involved in a championship out of the mix.

As far as racing back home Sunday for work Monday...Monday is Labor day. Most people dont have to work that day, though there are obviously some that do. We are going to be planning things to keep the ams involved throughout the entire weekend with pro clinics, an actual players party and other things we have in the works.

There are many contributing factors in this decision and we will do what we ultimately think is best for the championships. Keep the comments coming guys. We have huge things planned for this and will fill you in on the details as they become finalized. JR
December 20, 2013 09:29PM
Sounds like a lively bunch of guys and gals working on something special. I hope to be able to attend these championships!
December 21, 2013 07:19AM
What about Ams playing Fri and Sat, Pros playing Sat and Sun?
December 21, 2013 08:50AM
JR and group will plan a big event for the SN golfers just remember if you change the schedule people need to plan on this. Just keep the comments coming and discussions sincere.
Danny
December 22, 2013 05:46AM
Its my opinion that if you split up the ams from the pros then you will have a drop in attendance as alot of these folks, ams and pros, travel together. After small discussions locally I would not travel up a "day early" to watch them play and they would not want to stick around and wait another day for me to finish. Think long and hard about this split.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
December 22, 2013 08:20AM
So if the championships were in separate cities you just wouldnt go because the ams and pros couldnt car pool?
ww
December 22, 2013 11:06AM
I would not attend if I had to play on Monday, and SNPC is always on my must-play list.

People who have to travel 6+ hours need that full day for traveling home and recovery before work on Tuesday.

I hope the SN BoD steps in and nixes this idea.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
December 22, 2013 12:01PM
I agree with Willie......

ww Wrote:
> I would not attend if I had to play on Monday, and
> SNPC is always on my must-play list.
>
> People who have to travel 6+ hours need that full
> day for traveling home and recovery before work on
> Tuesday.
>
>
> I hope the SN BoD steps in and nixes this idea.
>
> If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
December 22, 2013 12:13PM
DISCKEY Wrote:
> I agree with Willie......
>
> ww Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I would not attend if I had to play on Monday,
> and
> > SNPC is always on my must-play list.
> >
> > People who have to travel 6+ hours need that
> full
> > day for traveling home and recovery before work
> on
> > Tuesday.
> >
> >
> > I hope the SN BoD steps in and nixes this idea.
> >
> > If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Have to agree with both. It's 7hr drive for myself.
December 22, 2013 12:22PM
And why would the SN B.O.D. have to step in to nix this? It's OUR Championship ( the players ) we put in $/Time for all year.
ww
December 22, 2013 12:57PM
Because that's what the SN BoD is designed to do.

Just because most every one agrees that the Sat-Sun format is best, it doesn't mean the TDs will do that.

The BoD, as the governing directors of all three championships, have the ability to nix the idea.

You and I do not.

That's why.
December 22, 2013 01:46PM
Gotcha, makes sense.
December 22, 2013 10:50PM
3puttking Wrote:
> So if the championships were in separate cities
> you just wouldnt go because the ams and pros
> couldnt car pool?

That is not what I said because that is not what is being proposed. Both AMS and PROs will be there at the same time ...kinda..

Yes if it were pros only I would go by myself. but im not going a day early to sit around and waste the day and certainly would find it hard to ask someone to sit around another day to wait for me.
SO what your asking/saying then is if an am wants to go and a pro wants to go from the same city and neither one wants to wait (waste )the extra day we should just both drive 3 or 4 or 6 hours.
Yeah ok gotcha

JABBA
December 22, 2013 11:28PM
frzbman Wrote:
> 3puttking Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So if the championships were in separate cities
> > you just wouldnt go because the ams and pros
> > couldnt car pool?
>
>
> That is not what I said because that is not what
> is being proposed. Both AMS and PROs will be there
> at the same time ...kinda..
>
> Yes if it were pros only I would go by myself. but
> im not going a day early to sit around and waste
> the day and certainly would find it hard to ask
> someone to sit around another day to wait for me.
>
> SO what your asking/saying then is if an am wants
> to go and a pro wants to go from the same city and
> neither one wants to wait (waste )the extra day we
> should just both drive 3 or 4 or 6 hours.
> Yeah ok gotcha
>
> JABBA

Hate to be " that guy " but I tend to ride along with a Open player.. an I couldn't agree more :) This is a big time deal as far as $ goes.. I am going to have a hard time coming up with the funds to dish out a 7 hour drive + 3 nights hotel + entry + food + ect - If I don't get to split that between a few people I'm @#$%& sure not going lol
December 29, 2013 02:30PM
As far as myself I will play ams and will be home Sunday night so this will not affect me. But what some are saying is that in order to save $$$$ pros and ams will carpool and split lodging, your proposal means an extra day and expense. Others will drive much farther than others and the extra day gives them a chance to travel/rest/ spend some of the holiday weekend with family. Finally everybody does not have an opportunity to be off on the Friday before or even Labor Day. I would like to see them on separate weekends with ams played earlier and then give those that want to the chance to try their skills against the pros and not just watch. More money in pros and a weekend devoted totally to the pro.
December 31, 2013 09:32AM
Many Pro's and Am's do carpool and share expenses, so it makes sense that having them on the same weekend could increase overall attendance. However, I'm not a fan of three day split, why not try to finish pro's on a longer course and Am's on a shorter course close by so they can finish and drive over to watch the final 9 or something... My club has traveled up to 23 members at one time to tournaments in Memphis, we like to hang out together at lunch or for supper. We have Am's and Pro's. When the weekends are split, most of us do not attend. I heard that the attendance at the last pro championship was very low....what was the reason for this? If each championship is to get better, you need to find out the reason's some fail, and fix those issues.
Also, IMO, a championship course does not need to be 10,000 feet long; it should have some length, but also a mix of good technical shots and holes requiring a variety of shots. Because I think that a true champion player will have the ability to score on any type of course, not just be able to throw far.
LM
December 31, 2013 01:59PM
you also run into the fact that you can't practice on the courses while rounds are being played, so pros would be screwed unless they came early, then sat around til Sunday.... playing on Monday is a BAD idea!!!! BAD... BAD...BAD
January 05, 2014 08:21AM
Thanks for all of the input guys. We are taking all of this into account. We want to keep everyone on the best courses possible but it makes the scheduling of pools a little more complicated. We will do our best to make appease the masses. JR
January 06, 2014 01:57PM
One option would be to run them separately. You could run the SNAC 2 weeks before the SNPC. Just an option. I know some won't like that. I enjoy the combined championships, but it seems that it can be more jumbled. It can be tough on people who ride together in different pools. This option would allow more access of volunteers, whether it being pros helping run the SNAC, or Ams helping run the SNPC. It also allows those advanced players (or any am for that mattter) the option to play both events.

Just a thought.

Jamie "Massive J" Massengale

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2014 02:00PM by MassiveJ.
January 06, 2014 04:01PM
I like doing each event but being so far away I'll be not trying that if it was split lol. Donating locally is one thing LOL..
January 06, 2014 06:15PM
Would rather play both if possible.

BMB
January 07, 2014 06:38PM
I would rather play them separate weekends also. The SNAC is usually two weeks before the Pro Championship. You would be able to use the best courses both tournaments instead of limiting course availability. Also, more volunteers could be gained from the non-participants.
January 08, 2014 12:52AM
Great article. Thanks for sharing this.
January 08, 2014 07:18AM
Having them separate weekends is not an option at all. sorry guys.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 33
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013