Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What happened to promoting Disc Golf?

Posted by ParkedPatna 
What happened to promoting Disc Golf?
December 27, 2013 08:36AM
Seriously?

I now know why I don't show my face around here. The negativity seems to have taken over this "message board ".

Did you see what I did there? This is a message board, not a wrestling ring!

What ever happened to the promotion of the sport we all love? We are suppose to be expanding this game.

Why is this place such a hostile environment? Too many internet gangsta's hiding behind keyboards with little regard for others opinions. Opinions should be taken as is from forum users, and be used as helping tools to solve issues.

This is a democracy, not a dictatorship!
Re: What happened to promoting Disc Golf?
December 27, 2013 09:39AM
This is a yearly championship tournament series. We collect $2 per entrant all year to make 3 big events. Whether that is "promotion of the sport" or "expanding this game" is I suppose debatable, but that is what we do. We still do it. We don't really have any other mission collectively. Most of us have an individual ideal to better the sport. Very few of us are opposed to using this series and this website for that purpose also, but it is beyond mission.

We do have some voluntary democratic practices. We do sometimes ignore our democratically created rules. I don't think we qualify as a dictatorship. We aren't that efficient. We currently have a BOD of 6 seats with only 4 filled, plus a 7th tie breaking seat filled by our last known benevolent dictator. We are occasionally governed in a somewhat "star chamber" type fashion, with strict, arbitrary rulings and secretive proceedings.

We still create fun disc golf opportunities. That's what matters most.
December 27, 2013 11:38AM
So? How long have you been involved in growing this sport? How many tournaments have you played in? What have you contributed to this game?

Give me a little history of yourself. Who is currently on this BOD? Why so many holes?
Upon reading this forum, I see the same hand full of posters. What's with all the animosity towards this BOD?
December 27, 2013 11:45AM
Wow!
I love how you talk about all of the negativity on the forum and then bring more.
December 27, 2013 11:59AM
Just asking a question. What did I type that was negative? I just want to know who I am talking to.
December 27, 2013 12:01PM
Why are these seats vacant? What is the problem? How can we fix it?
December 27, 2013 12:11PM
1. How about a name to go with that wine, I mean whine.
2. Stop electing pussycats to the BOD.
3. Our current BOD is all talk, (very) little action.

(By the way, you can hear the phrase pussycat every Saturday morning between 6am-10am on your child's favorite cartoon station.)
December 27, 2013 12:20PM
I'll let him answer.
Summing up his explanation with a "so?" And then questioning him in the manner in which you did.
It came off as negative to me. You wanted an answer and he gave you one, yet it wasn't good enough for you.
I realize that context and tone doesn't really translate via text so I apologize if I took your response as negative.
Most of the problems lately are with one or two bod members although there have been issues with the whole bod in the past.
I can't speak to the previous issues Bc I don't know what they were nor do I care to find out.
Most of the recent evidence has been deleted by that one bod member so there really isn't any evidence to see.
December 27, 2013 12:34PM
"How can we fix it?"

Adopt policy and procedures, then follow without hesitation or continuous change ... communicate transparently on all issues ... involve membership .....delegate and ask for assistance when needed or required ... continually strive to do all things better ......

A revolving volunteer board can't grasp such concepts. Many past BOD have had little experience in volunteer leadership, organization management, or public service. Also membership has no real "stake" in the series. Many just wanna "play" but keep their assessment of leadership very vocal. All this creates quite a handicap in evolving an organization.

Everything has its season .... a time to live, a time to die. Sadly, the SNDG gives every indication to be closing in on it's Winter. Therefore, the real questions is .... "How can the SNDG Series be saved?", not just fixed??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2013 12:43PM by Grayson.
December 27, 2013 01:13PM
I've heard a rumor that the 2014 Groundhog Grappler will be PDGA sanctioned and not SN even though it's on the SN schedule as of this minute. It's a long standing SN event so if that is true it does not bode well for the series.
December 27, 2013 01:15PM
Well then serious discussion is warranted. Look Gentlemen? I am not here to cast stones at anyone. I have been attending SN events and have been heavily involved locally.
This forum should be about the enlightenment of a great sport. From what I have read recently, it is more of a chess bumping contest. So what is the real problem? Does anyone know how to accomplish tough issues together and speak with one voice or is it a " my way or the highway " type of environment?
December 27, 2013 01:18PM
Gourley? Not sure if you was referring to me but my name is Scott Comeaux from Lafayette, La.
December 27, 2013 01:18PM
And you would be Sir?
December 27, 2013 02:25PM
Tell you what Scott, there is an open seat for BOD. How about we sign you up? Just don't abuse your powers as Ryan Niccolini did.
December 27, 2013 02:31PM
I am a business owner and current VP for our local club. I would not be able to put the time and effort I believe this position would require. I would just like to see the SN move forward in a positive light. I am open to discussion for any issues that are currently at hand. The best communicators usually are great listeners. My question though is why do we have so many vacant seats on the board?
December 27, 2013 02:35PM
Refer to my first post on this thread, reason 2.
December 27, 2013 02:40PM
It is my understanding that the election of the current BOD was not really contested. So the current BOD was more or less automatically inserted into positions without a true election. I could be wrong but that is my understanding.
December 27, 2013 04:56PM
My recollection is also that the last election was uncontested for 3 seats and some prior elections have been barely contested. Resigning members have stated reasons similar to the reasons ParkedPatna states he will not run. Sometimes life gets in the way suddenly and unexpectedly rather than by design. There are other reasons people don't want to be on the bod. Some of them can be fixed by the players and some cannot.

I disagree with the assertion that our bod problem is electing pussycats or do-nothings as some have asserted. I think the problem is nearly opposite. It is an unpaid position with a tradition of lots of time consumption and work to do along with inevitable harsh criticism. Under these circumstances the ideal bod member is one who has enough of an agenda to want to be a decision maker but not so much of an agenda that he is unwilling to be convinced to abandon his agenda.

Instead folks with a beyond-mission agenda run, get elected, then do whatever it takes to implement their agenda, then end up working so hard that they have to quit to save the rest of their life. The solution is mostly as Grayson has said above. We have pretty good rules now. We may can tweak a few be we have to commit to following them until we change them. All rules apply to everyone. Communication. Transparency. Delegation. KISS.

I don't want you to accept my statements because of who I am or what I have done. If what I write is accurate or makes sense to you support it and if not reject it. This is the path to the fix, not letting it get personal.
December 27, 2013 06:35PM
My only agenda here Sir is the dissect the turmoil that has consumed this message board. There is so much animosity on this forum and that is not what disc golf is about.

What makes everyone here take time out if their day to chase a piece of plastic around? This game is all about integrity, camaraderie, and enjoying nature while being active.

Way too much bickering around here without any sort of resolve.

I am an very advid disc golfer. I would be turned off from the display of non compliance.
December 27, 2013 09:07PM
If I recall correctly, the game of disc golf was around way before any forum was created.
This, or any forum isn't critical to the game of golf that we play with discs.
Why worry about the turmoil, it's out of your control.
People will be critical, that's life.
Focus on the positive unless it's killing the game.
I've never read a topic on this, or any other forum that made me want to stop playing this great game.

As for compliance, a current BOD member was acting in ways that are detrimental to the SN, IMHO
Banning users for 12+ months for infractions that aren't listed in the SN handbook.
Most think they were personal reasons. I, for one, would agree.

This where all of the negativity has originated lately.
December 27, 2013 10:39PM
It is an unpaid position with a tradition of lots of time consumption and work to do along with inevitable harsh criticism. Under these circumstances the ideal bod member is one who has enough of an agenda to want to be a decision maker but not so much of an agenda that he is unwilling to be convinced to abandon his agenda.

Kevin, I disagree. The problems that have plagued the SN board, past and present, are part and parcel of how the board is structured. Our series needs elected officers responsible for specific tasks, not a council that undertakes everything by committee.

I copied and pasted this from a post that I made in another thread instead of retyping it...

The other, biggest reason is the way the BOD is structured and the way it seems to operate as a formless blob of leadership. Not indicting the current BOD, this has been my observation for quite some time.

An analogy would be getting elected to the city council and then once elections were over sitting around and deciding who is going to be the dog catcher, policeman, fireman, etc or worse yet saying we are all going to be the dog catcher, policeman, fireman by committee. It is a recipe for missteps and drama.

I maintain that the series needs to have elected officers responsible for specific tasks that occasionally get together on some of the larger issues. Break down the tasks required by the series into small enough components that someone can reasonably handle them in their spare time (a few hours a week) and then elect people to do them whose skills and interests align with the position they are running for.

When someone runs for and gets elected to the BOD, they have no idea what their responsibilities are going to be

It follows that the SN players who vote to elect them have no way of knowing if that person is qualified because you aren't electing that person to fulfill a particular role, so you can't evaluate if they are going to be any good at it.
December 28, 2013 02:12AM
I think jacques makes good points. Maybe we disagree. I would like to be a little clearer on exactly what that disagreement is.

I don't think elections historically result in hiring people competent to do tasks. I'm not just talking about the SN but all elections everywhere. Elections are often a popularity contest but at best a platform choice. The smart / good elected officials hire or appoint other people to do all of the tasks. If those hired turn out to be not so good at the details the org is not stuck with them for a 2 year election cycle. Elected officials should be representatives of the will of the majority, not necessarily people with any other skill set. They are supposed to be trusted leaders.

I'll offer myself as an example of a mere task performer. I offered to help redo our rules and we did. Whether you think we did a good job or not, me being on the bod would not have made the rules any better. We needed a wordsmith and I am supposed to be one whether you think I'm a crappy one or not. Since I was not on the bod I was not distracted by what several thousand people wanted. I was free to focus on selecting clear language for rules decided by 7 people tops, with no responsibility for what the rules should be. I followed what the bod wanted and we went back and forth on a few things until we found something the bod thought was the best for the majority of the players. I think delegation gets a better result than expecting a popular election to select competency or limiting the series to the skills of a few elected officials.

Another example is our website. A website builder is not necessarily the one who can convince a majority of the players that he is a good decision maker for the series. This website was great when we first got it but was Brian Moon ever on the bod? I'm sticking my neck out here because I actually don't know but the point is he has not been on any recent bod ballot. I'm not saying we should exclude anyone because of their skill set, I'm saying the bod skill of import is representing the players. Yes, the person should have knowledge of the sport and history and mission of the series. No, it is not realistic to elect all the skills we need.

The bod should make decisions on what to do and who to delegate it to and not get caught up in tasks. If there are no volunteers and we can't hire them then guess what, we shouldn't do it. If you want to get these task burdens down to just a few hours a week done only by board members I would guess we are going to need a lot more board members, not fewer. OTOH if we stop thinking of bod members as task laborers and instead as honored leaders who just make decisions, more people will be interested in running. Non-elected players can volunteer for a few hours a week of these tasks or we can pay for them with our entry fees.

So I don't think jacques and I disagree on the point that being a bod member needs to not be too time consuming else no one will want the honor. I don't think we disagree on the point that harsh criticism discourages bod membership. The agreement that matters to me is whether or not jacques thinks bod members should follow the rules until they change them and whether personal agendas are a leading cause of bod members not following our rules.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Dex
Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013