Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New SNDG Website Update.

Posted by Eric Day 
New SNDG Website Update.
January 08, 2014 02:41PM
We have come to a point where the new website is ready to be paid for, We will be making a vote on rather to pay for the new website soon.

Here is what He has done so far Beta site Keep in mind this is only about half way done and once we vote to pay for the site the rest will be completed. I was quoted "There are only a few weeks of work, mostly aesthetic left for the sndg site.".

Any input you would like to give would be appreciated so we could come to a quick decision. Again here is the link Beta site

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 03:02PM by hobbit489.
Re: New SNDG Website Update.
January 08, 2014 03:22PM
Is this a joke?

Really? That's our new fancy website? I hope the guy's not charging over $50. All that is, is a basic website template with a login script. I MEAN F'N SERIOUSLY?

The "developer" should of worked more on the core (behind the scenes) of the website ya know...

a.TD login to upload/edit tournament results in various formats
b.Tournament filter/stat pages
c.A fully functional website that the BOD can edit/change.
d.Most important, ad exchange/ad space areas to draw in SN revenue.

You guys might want to get with Grayson Robins who can give the SN website what they need than this two bit html crack friend of niklpenny's.

I, myself could of done that website in less than 4 hours and I am by far a website guru. That site is same as this one, different colors and less functionality, with a cheap Ms-Paint header.
January 08, 2014 05:31PM
How much money is he wanting for the website layout/coding itself, not the domain or hosting?

Don't shell out a penny until the things I mentioned in my previous post are displayed, and properly working.
January 08, 2014 09:26PM
What is wrong with the current site? Why is a new site needed? I've always liked this site just fine.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
January 08, 2014 10:04PM
Seems generic to me.
What else will be added after it's paid for?
Will these ad ons make the site 20x better?
Who's gonna run the "pro shop"?
Why can't we tweak the current site?

It's 2014, right?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2014 10:10PM by SuperSheaps.
January 08, 2014 10:54PM
Why the new site? The current website is owned by Brian Moon, He alone can change many of issues with this website. For example it still shows 2012 season when You click the stats and has the old handbook on the front page. Nobody has been able to get in contact with him in two-three years, and If He ever forgets to pay for the site, it will shut down for good. Plus once a new website is up and running, rather it be the one posted above or another option, we will be able to sell ad-space on the site and add money to Our SNC's or other thing to benefit the series like ratings.
January 09, 2014 12:18AM
Eric Day Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why the new site? The current website is owned by
> Brian Moon, He alone can change many of issues
> with this website. For example it still shows 2012
> season when You click the stats and has the old
> handbook on the front page. Nobody has been able
> to get in contact with him in two-three years, and
> If He ever forgets to pay for the site, it will
> shut down for good. Plus once a new website is up
> and running, rather it be the one posted above or
> another option, we will be able to sell ad-space
> on the site and add money to Our SNC's or other
> thing to benefit the series like ratings.

I'm down.. as long as it has a readable forums (( which is super simple to do )) I don't think many people will ever even notice the front page of the site. :) You said ratings though :D Interest peaked!
January 09, 2014 12:19AM
Eric Day Wrote:
> Why the new site? The current website is owned by
> Brian Moon, He alone can change many of issues
> with this website. For example it still shows 2012
> season when You click the stats and has the old
> handbook on the front page. Nobody has been able
> to get in contact with him in two-three years, and
> If He ever forgets to pay for the site, it will
> shut down for good. Plus once a new website is up
> and running, rather it be the one posted above or
> another option, we will be able to sell ad-space
> on the site and add money to Our SNC's or other
> thing to benefit the series like ratings.

Well these all seem like solid reasons. But I personally like the style and ease in functionality of this site. That beta site seems very different to me and not very attractive visually. I also find it somewhat odd to have an Innova video on the front page featuring no deeply rooted SN players. It's important to remember that it isn't a general disc golf website-- it is Southern Nationals specific. I think it is important that the new website is appealing to the majority of the SN players, not just something that some particular person likes and everyone else goes along with. I also don't know what the process was for determining who created this new website. I think it is important that one person doesn't just pick somebody that they know personally who designs websites. Ideally, it would be nice to have an open period for whoever would like to offer a design to do so and then all players could vote on their favorite. I don't know if this is feasible or not, or if anyone would actually be willing to participate. Also, it might would be better if a knowledgeable disc golfer were to design the site rather than someone not affiliated with disc golf. Of course, this might not be true at all. Whatever the case, I just hope that the SN makes a decision which everyone is pleased with in this decision since, in all honesty, this website is the core of the series and matters more than most decisions made.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
January 09, 2014 09:35AM
I totally agree we need a new website, you basically have little to no control right now over the website.

But in all honesty this new beta site.. is terrible

Does the Southern Nationals not have enough money to pay for a quality website?

Do we need to have a fundraiser?

The existing website design and functionality is pretty good... were you guys not able to find a company that can mimic this site?

For forums our club chose InvisionPower Board http://www.invisionpower.com/apps/board/

Here is our clubs forum page: http://www.ecdgc.org/forums/

Here is another clubs forum page: http://charlottedgc.invisionzone.com/

A few other examples:
http://discussion.evernote.com/

http://fans.oilers.nhl.com/community/

http://www.gimptalk.com/

http://forum.kaspersky.com/

Not sure who to go with for the rest of the website.. but here are a few other nice Disc Golf Club main websites that look nice:

http://www.springvalleygolfclub.com/discgolf/

http://www.gardencityflyers.org/site/

http://grdgc.org/3629-Welcome_to_the_Greater_Rochester_Disc_Golf_Club!

http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com/Home.aspx

Dynamic Discs - http://www.dynamicdiscs.com/disc-golf-tournaments/

http://www.cranberryvalleydiscgolf.com/

http://www.charlottedgc.com/

Innova http://www.innovadiscs.com/

http://www.peterboroughdiscgolf.ca/

James Ireland
They're always after me lucky bag tag!
[www.ecdgc.org]

January 09, 2014 09:59AM
The guy who designed the site is a disc golfer.
The site is in BASIC BETA TESTING MODE, so none of the graphics have really been added, and not all of the functionality is complete, it takes alot to code a website and if the developer does not get the ok from the board he is not gonna go further.
The innova video and anything you see on the site now is just to show players what could be there, again this is just a test site.
a.TD login to upload/edit tournament results in various formats-BUILT INTO THE BACKEND, ALL TD'S WILL HAVE ACCESS
b.Tournament filter/stat pages-WEBSITE HAS THIS BUILT IN AND MUCH DEEPER THAN CURRENT SITE
c.A fully functional website that the BOD can edit/change.-THE WEBSITE HAS CLOUD BACKEND WHICH DOES NOT REQUIRE A DEVELOPER TO UPDATE.
d.Most important, ad exchange/ad space areas to draw in SN revenue. THERE ARE AD SPACES IN THE SITE.

I think some of you missed the point that this is the BASIC test site, the SN has not payed for hosting or domain or a single line of code yet, and until that happens NO Developer is gonna spend days writing code for free.

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
January 09, 2014 10:03AM
Do you have some links of sample websites that this developer has created?

James Ireland
[www.ecdgc.org]

January 09, 2014 10:26AM
niklpenny Wrote:
> I think some of you missed the point that this is
> the BASIC test site, the SN has not payed for
> hosting or domain or a single line of code yet,
> and until that happens NO Developer is gonna spend
> days writing code for free.

You mean you aren't gonna spend days writing code for free.
January 09, 2014 10:31AM
b.Tournament filter/stat pages-WEBSITE HAS THIS BUILT IN AND MUCH DEEPER THAN CURRENT SITE

Personally, I believe the above is the main aspect desired within the site. If it's "built in" already, I believe the SN community would like to view it before authorizing $$$ to view it.

I believe the demo was built via Drupal, an open-source content management system. Other disc golf sites have been built with Joomla and a variety of forums programs. They all are fairly easily installed and customized. The trick is tying them all together with one user name and themes. Truly though, it's not that difficult. Drupal offers extensive modules to extent the capabilities of the site. It's well known and used to run all sorts of extensive sights.

The Points database, tournament events, and results are all specially designed database code. This is where time and cost could be heavy. I believe the demo site could actually be tweaked and themed to everyone's satisfaction ... depending on the cost.

Cloud hosting is not as secure as good ol' private servers. At least that is my opinion. I have heard that it's ultimately more costly than regular servers. I am not an expert in this area though. I still believe the features desired should be prioritized and then put out to bid by several professional designers. Right now, all the eggs are in one basket.

Where is the points database? That's what I'd need to see to make a value judgement on spending $$$. JMHO

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/2014 10:37AM by Grayson.
January 09, 2014 03:54PM
I agree with jamesireland. We need samples of other websites this guy has done. I understand this is just a beta site, but even that should be decent enough to catch your attention rather than turn you off. If I were paying for a website, I'd want a unique and professional looking layout, not something you can find by visiting your everday blog.

Overdrive Disc Golf
We buy and sell new and used discs. Check out our website.
January 09, 2014 04:20PM
niklpenny Wrote:
> The guy who designed the site is a disc golfer.
> The site is in BASIC BETA TESTING MODE, so none of
> the graphics have really been added, and not all
> of the functionality is complete, it takes alot to
> code a website and if the developer does not get
> the ok from the board he is not gonna go further.
> The innova video and anything you see on the site
> now is just to show players what could be there,
> again this is just a test site.
> a.TD login to upload/edit tournament results in
> various formats-BUILT INTO THE BACKEND, ALL TD'S
> WILL HAVE ACCESS
> b.Tournament filter/stat pages-WEBSITE HAS THIS
> BUILT IN AND MUCH DEEPER THAN CURRENT SITE
> c.A fully functional website that the BOD can
> edit/change.-THE WEBSITE HAS CLOUD BACKEND WHICH
> DOES NOT REQUIRE A DEVELOPER TO UPDATE.
> d.Most important, ad exchange/ad space areas to
> draw in SN revenue. THERE ARE AD SPACES IN THE
> SITE.

>
> I think some of you missed the point that this is
> the BASIC test site, the SN has not payed for
> hosting or domain or a single line of code yet,
> and until that happens NO Developer is gonna spend
> days writing code for free.

Really? Where did you see this at? I saw none of this on that junk that got posted claiming to be a beta site.

Since when did anybody get paid before a job. It's usually broken down into 2-3 payments. That way we don't get stuck with crap and he has our money.

That website is horrible, insufficient, and cheap looking. The current website is leaps and bounds ahead of that one. I thought we were upgrading, not downgrading.

I see why no one wanted to show off the website in November. If I had an '88 Ford stationwagon I wouldn't wanna show it off either.

Tell your developer thanks for wasting our time and to get back to us when he has something worthy of showing.

Dear SN Bod, how about yall pony up some money and hire a real developer, not this quitter's friend.
January 09, 2014 09:28PM
The beta site is pretty poor. I see nothing dynamic...looks like static html pages.

To make the new site dynamic, what technologies would be used? java, php, javascript, etc. Any frameworks like struts, Spring MVC, AngularJS, Bootstrap etc? Which webservers...Tomcat, Apache, Weblogic, JBoss? What database...MySQL or Oracle?

Please explain what the SN members would be paying for. Please breakdown the build price and the ongoing maintenance price, also separate the hosting cost.

-Micah
January 10, 2014 11:24AM
Please keep Your thoughts on this subject coming everyone. Thanks to Grayson's continued effort and time We are discussing some other ideas. We will need to discuss it at length before we come to any decisions. I will be keeping everyone informed on our options once we sort everything out. Also I would like to wait until the election process is over before any vote is taken to allow Casey, Josh, or anyone else that may run for election to give their thoughts on how to proceed.
ww
January 10, 2014 01:11PM
Why not just ask Moon how much we can buy this site for?
January 10, 2014 01:16PM
ww Wrote:
> Why not just ask Moon how much we can buy this
> site for?

I agree with Willie Waite.. I know there has been tons of issues just trying to get in touch with Brian Moon,
but I know he is still out there, and continues to run his company, so there must be some way to contact him.

Here is a blog he somewhat recently posted data to... [brian.moonspot.net]

and some more info with links about him... [plus.google.com]

LinkedIn - [www.linkedin.com]

This site is actually really good at a lot things, as is, the SNDG board, just needs access to the data, and code...

Is this even an option on the table?

James Ireland
[www.ecdgc.org]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2014 01:20PM by jamesireland.
January 10, 2014 01:31PM
Contact has been made and confirmation has been recieved that the historic data's ownership is that of the Southern Nationals. The correct path and means in which it is secured has not been finalized. Efforts are proceeding towards that goal.
January 10, 2014 01:31PM
ww Wrote:
> Why not just ask Moon how much we can buy this
> site for?

It would be foolish to not at least try. Great idea.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013