Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2014 SN Team Cup Discussion

Posted by Eric Day 
Re: 2014 SN Team Cup Discussion
January 26, 2014 01:46AM
It's a little disappointing that this year's Cup wont' be at the REZ; however, Hiller is a great course. Hopefully, Biloxi can see the value of having 70 plus visitors for the weekend vs Jackson's decision to disinvite them by imposing excessive park usage fees.

The proposed format is fine. It is the same as last year's and has worked very well in the past. Casey makes a good point about the distance competition though. Allowing three throws, having an extra wide grid, and measuring from where the disc went OB would all be improvements. Also, there needs to be a foot-fault rule. Start with a long smooth run-up area and a clearly defined line. Then, if a foot fault is observed consider just subtracting a meter/yard from the throws measurement. A re-tee would take extra time and may not always be fair. Discarding the throw altogether seems drastic, unless the foot fault is determined to be intentional. One idea for speeding-up the distance competition is to use six different colored marker flags (one for each division), let the entire team make all of their throws and then do the measuring while the next team is getting ready.

If a player throws out of turn during the doubles round and it is realized immediately after, before their partner has also made a throw, can that fall under the ruling of a practice throw instead?

The scoring is fair and balanced and has worked well in the past. The only change I would recommend is to split the bonus points. It is difficult to get the playoffs taken care of before the end of day one. This can create an opportunity for one of the playoff teams to know that they can not benefit from the extra bonus points and so they decide to concede them to a team they might favor, thus circumventing the spirit of the competition.

Thank you Eric and crew for helping to keep this treasured event going. Love me SN Cup!

Go Team Baton Rouge!
Defending Champions
February 23, 2014 04:51PM
For players to be eligible for the SN Cup, do they have to have SN points, or just played in two tournaments?
February 23, 2014 10:15PM
must have points from the 2013-2014 season.
February 25, 2014 07:54AM
Chunk,

While I like the ideas to try and speed up the distance. Marking then measuring later has the volunteers walking the longest throws off twice. By the end of the day that may actually slow things down.

Shane

Transparency of information breeds self correcting behavior!
February 26, 2014 12:25PM

As of now assume that there will be a cap 12 teams from 12 cities. I will set a deadline for cities to enter into the Cup, once that deadline has been met, I will allow 2 teams from the same city.

In my opinion it would be better to expand the field to more players from a smaller number of teams than to open it up to multiple teams from the same city in order to fill the tournament.

For example, nine teams of eight players from nine actual cities appeals to me a whole lot more than nine teams of six players from nine actual cities and three teams made up at the last minute to ensure a full field. You end up with 72 players either way.

Again, just my opinion.
February 26, 2014 01:14PM
jacques Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As of now assume that there will be a cap 12 teams
> from 12 cities. I will set a deadline for cities
> to enter into the Cup, once that deadline has been
> met, I will allow 2 teams from the same city.
>
> In my opinion it would be better to expand the
> field to more players from a smaller number of
> teams than to open it up to multiple teams from
> the same city in order to fill the tournament.
>
> For example, nine teams of eight players from nine
> actual cities appeals to me a whole lot more than
> nine teams of six players from nine actual cities
> and three teams made up at the last minute to
> ensure a full field. You end up with 72 players
> either way.
>
> Again, just my opinion.

I like. Not every city can come up with two full teams but most cities can find additional players for their teams. I understand the reasoning behind dropping the Intermediate spot but I think this is an incredible event for the up and comers to experience. It seems that the grand masters field is growing and if enough cities could fill this field it would be a way for us to honor those who have gone before us.
March 03, 2014 11:09PM
shane Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Chunk,
>
> While I like the ideas to try and speed up the
> distance. Marking then measuring later has the
> volunteers walking the longest throws off twice.
> By the end of the day that may actually slow
> things down.
>
> Shane

The idea is to remove the transition time related to stopping and measuring after each throw. I believe each team could easily get off 18 throws (3 per player) inside of 10 minutes. That would leave 5 minutes for measuring...while the next team in line gets ready to go.

They don't walk the throws off - they measure them with an optical device. ;)
March 05, 2014 11:14PM
Unless I am mistaken, they walk to the throw and hold up an umbrella. This would be the second time they are visiting that spot with your proposed method as they were already there when placing the flag.

Shane

Transparency of information breeds self correcting behavior!
March 06, 2014 01:36AM
Shane, I get what your saying. Maybe Eric can find some ultimate guys to volunteer. They're quick at running back and forth.

Another advantage of using flags is that you won't have to measure the first throw when the second throw is obviously longer. Conversely, you won't have to flag the second throw when the first one is obviously longer. Using flags also makes it possibly to recheck a measurement if a discrepancy arises.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2014 01:37AM by Chunk.
March 06, 2014 09:11AM
Chunk
Shane, I get what your saying. Maybe Eric can find some ultimate guys to volunteer. They're quick at running back and forth.
Spoken like a true grandmaster.......HAHAHAHAHA

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
April 01, 2014 01:36AM
Paid Teams
1 Baton Rouge
2 Pensacola
3 Hattiesburg
4 Desoto County
5 Lake Charles
6 Mobile
7 Biloxi
Partial Payment
8 Ridgeland
Teams Paying this week
9 Semmes
10 Lafayette
Teams Saying they are going to play
11 Fairhope
12 Pensacola 2
13 New Orleans
Team I am unsure about
14 Jackson
15 Memphis
16 Fort Walton
17 Southaven
This currently means there will be teams that will miss out, I highly suggest You get You entry fee's sent in before time runs out.
Also PLEASE help Me out and get some sponsors, I want to make Your payout as high as I can and right now money will have to be taken out of payout just for insurance, plus I still have the Shirt order.
Dex
April 03, 2014 01:13PM
We do appreciate the TOP BILLING and the # 1

''BATON ROUGE''

Good Luck to all teams, and thanks to the volunteers
Dex
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013