Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Special Vote Regarding The Policy Banning Non-SN Tournaments

Posted by cox3 
Special Vote Regarding The Policy Banning Non-SN Tournaments
January 29, 2014 08:29PM
The board has voted 5-1 to revoke the policy which was created on Tuesday, January 21, 2014, banning non-SN tournaments from posting on the forum. Instead, an additional board will be created titled "Non-SN Events" for these threads.

I will speak for my own personal stance. I admit that we made a mistake by taking a vote on the subject without properly gauging the opinion of the entire Southern Nationals population beforehand. I understand that this is a player-run organization. I was only voting in the way that I felt was in the best interest of the organization and its players. The response on the forum was significantly opposed to the policy. Because of this, we decided to reverse the ruling. I hope that this is evidence enough that we are committed to representing the players of the Southern Nationals despite how it may conflict with our own personal opinion.

Edit: Policy information. All Non SN sanction events, these event include but are not limited to Ace Races, paid Clinics, single round events, regular events that choose not to sanction, DD 2 disc challenge, and Vibram Birdie Bash. These events need to be posted in the "Non-SN Events" section of the forum.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 02:15PM by cox3.
Re: Special Vote Regarding The Policy Banning Non-SN Tournaments
January 29, 2014 08:39PM
GOOD JOB... THANK YOU FOR LISTENING... YA DID THE RIGHT THING...

later,
jc "jose"

be good
have fun
January 29, 2014 08:50PM
I would just like to say that saying I have learned a lot in the past week or so would be an understatement...

Josh Brigan
EatSleepDisc Pensacola
January 30, 2014 06:17AM
If you changed the rule Why DID YOU REMOVE MY EVENT FROM THIS FORUM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nevermind, I see that its been dumped in a new topic area where commenting is forbidden

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 07:08AM by hudd.
January 30, 2014 07:49AM
Good Job BOD. No one is perfect and errors will be made, but realizing a mistake and admitting it is always a hard step to take but a necessary one. I do not believe this was done in order to hurt any one individual but only to protect the SN series. Others see it as something else, so be it. But let's move on from this and help these members to promote the SN and DG in the south.
January 30, 2014 09:52AM
Thank you BOD!!!!!
Dex
January 30, 2014 11:20AM
Well done indeed

Dex
January 30, 2014 11:43AM
Well I think that revoking the rule was truly a step back for the organization, but clearly better serves the players. I wish people could see things from an organizational point of view rather than their own biased one. Good job BOD for avoiding a revolt by those who were too ignorant to understand what this rule was meant to accomplish.
January 30, 2014 11:53AM
I take it you voted for Obama, Ryan.
January 30, 2014 11:54AM
Disappointing...............So there really is no benefit for me to pay the 2.00 per head for my event...... I can post it on the site for free and save the 2.00 per person....

January 30, 2014 11:57AM
Gourley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I take it you voted for Obama, Ryan.

Or is it that benefitting without contributing is more Obama-like in nature?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox

January 30, 2014 12:24PM
Gourley Wrote:
> I take it you voted for Obama, Ryan.

Wrong, ignorant, and childish. Seems to be a theme for all of your posts I see on here.
January 30, 2014 12:28PM
cox3 Wrote:
> Gourley Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I take it you voted for Obama, Ryan.
>
> Or is it that benefitting without contributing is
> more Obama-like in nature?

That's what I was thinking. I'm pro business and organization. That's opposite of Obama's stances. He seems to have it completely backwards haha. Funny when somebody makes a comment when they have no idea what they're talking about.
January 30, 2014 12:47PM
Mr Ryan if you felt so strongly bt this issue why didn't u speak up before the 15th of January. I like how you resort to calling the opposotion ignorant because we disagree with your view.
January 30, 2014 12:50PM
Brad Wells Wrote:
> Mr Ryan if you felt so strongly bt this issue why
> didn't u speak up before the 15th of January. I
> like how you resort to calling the opposotion
> ignorant because we disagree with your view.

He did speak up, Brad. He was just in the minority.

Casey Cox

January 30, 2014 12:51PM
Keith, there is the same benefit there has been for the last 13 years you have been posting events on this forum.
That's what I don't understand, this is nothing new that started six months ago. People have been posting non SN sanctioned events for years here.
I somewhat agree that PDGA events shouldn't be advertised here. My exceptions would be if they were out of the region. For instance, the Am Doubles world championships in Round Rock TX.
I am however 100% against the ban of non sanctioned Charity events. If there is that big of a problem with them, Sanction them and dont charge the $2.. and only give 2 pts for playing. I read somewhere the other day on here where someone had said that maybe we should just ask Jim Orum about a Mission Statment or something like that. I think you should ask Jim Orum what he thinks about not leting a charity event advertise on this forum.
Ryan-Casey, I would hardly call this a business. It is closer to a non-profit organization. If it is a business , every person that has a single point is a co-owner and their opinion and voice is just as important as any other.
Long Story short...Thanks guys for providing a place to post non sanctioned events..
January 30, 2014 12:54PM
Keith Bodin Wrote:
> Disappointing...............So there really is no
> benefit for me to pay the 2.00 per head for my
> event...... I can post it on the site for free
> and save the 2.00 per person....

That is correct, Keith. Thank you for your contribution to the SN. Hopefully you will continue to do so.

Casey Cox

January 30, 2014 01:06PM
Casey,
I will never stop supporting the SN unlike some others that don't get their way and pull their events from SN (POG, Fling with the King and .........) I just wanted to make a point.

Zach,
The problem is if the BOD had not bowed down, SN would have lost even more events. SOME people around here have the attitude "if I don't get my way I will take my event to the PDGA and screw SN". Most of these young TDs and some old TDs don't realize without SN their city wouldn't have disc golf.

IT IS WHAT IT IS!!!!!

On a side note NPC Tour is making it real easy to be part of that series!

January 30, 2014 01:07PM
Thankyou Hudd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great post from an ignorant person.
January 30, 2014 01:25PM
hudd Wrote:
> Keith, there is the same benefit there has been
> for the last 13 years you have been posting events
> on this forum.
> That's what I don't understand, this is nothing
> new that started six months ago. People have been
> posting non SN sanctioned events for years here.
> I somewhat agree that PDGA events shouldn't be
> advertised here. My exceptions would be if they
> were out of the region. For instance, the Am
> Doubles world championships in Round Rock TX.
> I am however 100% against the ban of non
> sanctioned Charity events. If there is that big of
> a problem with them, Sanction them and dont charge
> the $2.. and only give 2 pts for playing. I read
> somewhere the other day on here where someone had
> said that maybe we should just ask Jim Orum about
> a Mission Statment or something like that. I think
> you should ask Jim Orum what he thinks about not
> leting a charity event advertise on this forum.
> Ryan-Casey, I would hardly call this a
> business. It is closer to a non-profit
> organization. If it is a business , every person
> that has a single point is a co-owner and their
> opinion and voice is just as important as any
> other.
> Long Story short...Thanks guys for providing a
> place to post non sanctioned events..

Zack, you do realize that not a single person was ever for banning charity events from the forum don't you? Even the ones of us who originally voted for the policy discussed how we could allow charity events before we ever voted. Granted, we did not add any exceptions because we know that would only lead to more controversy with people trying to claim why their event was a charity event. I feel like you have decided to make this into that we wanted to ban charity events and have ran with it.

Casey Cox

January 30, 2014 01:43PM
The BOD's vote of 4-2 was to ban all events not sanctioned through the SN. no exceptions. I took that for exactly what it said.

Again, thank you for providing a place to post non sanctioned events
January 30, 2014 02:36PM
Brad Wells Wrote:
> Thankyou
> Hudd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> !!!!!!!!!!!!! Great post from an ignorant person.

Zach mentioned he somewhat agreed that PDGA events should not be sanctioned here. Seems to be right in line with all of my posts in the other thread. Also, events that are just "angry with the SN" have no place either. I stated multiple times in the other thread that charity and non-sanctionable events should always be allowed. I would never support a ban on those type of events. I just do not support free advertising for events jumping ship to the PDGA or trying to boycott the SN.

Now, as for the ignorance part. I do feel it is ignorant of some individuals to not even give this rule a chance or that they did not even try to understand what the BOD was trying to do. I did not say that everyone who is against this is ignorant. Alot of the posts I read had no legitimacy, and just seemed so hurt and shocked that the SN made a rule change. Change is something every organization(profit or non-profit) has to deal with. Alot of people complain about this series, but still use the "that's how we've been doing it for years" mentality. Nothing will get better without making some changes.

I hope the BOD does not become discouraged by all of the hostility directed at them everytime something happens. It is shocking to read how much frustration is constantly directed at them. Wish them the best of luck in dealing with some of the individuals on these forums. They're going to need it.
January 30, 2014 02:40PM
Well said Ryan! You wrote what I was trying to say.

January 30, 2014 03:12PM
You win dude. You and others personal dislike for one person tried to push this rule through. Yall can put your own spin on it how you will If yall wanted to change the rule why not give a 30 day window? Then implement the change?, I wouldnt of said one word. Anyway, you see it one way I see it another. I will continue to support SN events I enjoy attending. Take Care
January 30, 2014 03:44PM
I don't even know Mike Kernan, other than what I read on this forum. Just wanted to put that out there.
January 30, 2014 03:55PM
If the rule was created over dislike for a single person, wouldn't the BOD had made it retroactive and removed all current non-SN tournament posts? Instead, the posts remained and the rule was from this point forward.

Overdrive Disc Golf
We buy and sell new and used discs. Check out our website.
January 30, 2014 04:03PM
Brad, I can assure you my vote had nothing to do with Mike Kernan or the PoG. You can speculate and conjecture, but that is simply not the case. I have been a part of the SN longer than just about any person on here. I have seen the exact mentality that Ryan Vann is talking about.

The real question is: Do we (SN) want to remain the same organization we've always been or do we want to continue to get bigger and expand SN disc golf boundaries and capabilities?

From what I gather, there are really only 5-6 things people want from the BoD:

1) Updated published handbook that is readily available
2) Schedule tournaments, collect fees, post results and financials
3) Sell bag tags, shirts, towels, etc. to get money to the SNPC
4) Check payout for championships to ensure monies are distributed properly
5) Functional website with minimal oversight
6) Maintain USDGC qualifier status for SNPC

Let me know if I missed anything. If that's all everyone wants from us, we should only hold meetings once a month. We should rarely vote on anything and all just go on our merry way playing disc golf so long as the above things are taken care of.
January 30, 2014 04:40PM
Some sort of marketing or publicity aspect would be beneficial to the series as well for web and overall series corporate advertising. Seems there should be some $$$ out there from companies desiring to be attached to the series events.

Also to be seen as an ongoing liaison for state and municipal parks, equipment manufacturers, and the sanctioning body of the sport. As stated previously, an organizational relationship with these types could be very beneficial in the future.

Otherwise, you pretty much nailed it as far as the main director responsibilities.
January 30, 2014 11:19PM
What the Hobbit said was spot on. Except the part about being involved with the SN as long or longer than anybody else on here.

I also agree with Grayson 's last post. A perfect example would be the ads at the top of these pages. I have attempted to find out how to be able to advertise on sndg.org, but have never been able to accomplish anything in respect to being able to do so myself. Are these individuals paying for this service? If so who? & how much?

Now threads are moved. Which actually accomplishes nothing, as Keith said. Since they are still available on this website. Also what if a TD runs many types of events; SN, PDGA, Charity Events & other types of Disc Golf tourneys? Do you want to send them the wrong message?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2014 11:22PM by BERNIE.
January 31, 2014 03:34PM
I also think Hobbit's list of 6 is "spot on" or pretty much covers it. Given that we have yet to reach a state of having all these in place I'm not so sure "meetings once a month" will get it done or that meeting frequency is even especially relevant to reaching these goals. There are certainly other improvements that would be helpful as mentioned above, but fundamentals first please. We all owe a big thank you to our board for riding this issue out.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 20
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013