Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Southern Nationals Insurance?

Posted by Trackin01 
Re: Southern Nationals Insurance?
February 18, 2014 11:05AM
^^ this guy.... oh sweet .if get hurt playn disc at a park I can claim it on home.Owners.That what u saying???

BMB
February 18, 2014 11:13AM
No. Please quote where I said that. As a side note, you don't seem to read very well.
February 18, 2014 11:21AM
Please elaborate.

Jazzcaster
A homeowner's policy is much more than some sort of limited policy tied to accidents that happen on the property of the insured.
February 18, 2014 12:00PM
Simple case of idiotism..Wish you were my agent..

BMB
February 18, 2014 01:05PM
His name is Eric Miller from CENLA. A lawyer by trade. A disc golf course designer in his mind. A complete Jack___ in life!

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
February 18, 2014 01:52PM
manglin
Please elaborate.

I didn't post what I did for the purpose of giving coverage opinions, but I suggest that you break out your homeowner's policy and actually read it to see what it covers. Every policy has the potential to be different with different definitions, insuring provisions and exclusions, governing laws varying by state, etc. But generally speaking (very generally), a homeowner's policy covers the homeowner for liability from his negligence, vicarious and/or strict liability that is not covered by other insurance.
February 18, 2014 02:01PM
Keith Bodin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> His name is Eric Miller from CENLA. A lawyer by
> trade. A disc golf course designer in his mind.
> A complete Jack___ in life!

You forgot to mention that I also have a sense of irony and my own personal troll!
February 18, 2014 06:39PM
There's no doubt that demand for DG event insurance has increased. I think the increase is mostly due to new park requirements. There is no sense in us trying to explain risk to these park owners. I doubt any of them are gonna take a homeowners policy as adequate. It's a wonder they take PDGA. Does anybody even check to see what is covered or deductible?
February 19, 2014 08:32AM
From what I understand If you do a claim, they PDGA ask for you to use your insurance and they (PDGA) will cover the remaining bill. I planned on calling them about the deductible and who pays that. Also, what happens if you have zero insurance? Does the PDGA cover all of your bill? I assume they do, but lets not get ahead of ourselves here.
February 19, 2014 09:49AM
Trackin01 Wrote:
> From what I understand If you do a claim, they
> PDGA ask for you to use your insurance and they
> (PDGA) will cover the remaining bill. I planned on
> calling them about the deductible and who pays
> that. Also, what happens if you have zero
> insurance? Does the PDGA cover all of your bill? I
> assume they do, but lets not get ahead of
> ourselves here.

The only way that you will know what is covered, whether the PDGA provided policy is primary or only excess, whether it excludes coverage for liability covered under any other insurance, and the amount of any deductible is by getting a copy of the actual insurance policy and reading it.
February 19, 2014 10:17AM
Yep to what the other Jazz said. Then again, if all you care about is the up-front-cost of satisfying the park maybe you don't want to see the wizard.
February 19, 2014 01:44PM
The Certificate of Insurance does provide some information:

On the liability policy, which does cover the "athletic participants." There is no medical payments coverage. There is a $10,000 SIR (Self-Insured Retention). A 1,000,000 occurrence limit and $2,000,000 aggregate limit. There is a $100,000 limit for damage to property. There are also limts of 100/500K for Worker's Comp. coverage.

There is a separate coverage provision that pays $10,000 for accidental death and up to $25,000 for dismemberment.

The SIR is probably the interesting part for TD's. The Certificate does not specify who has to pay the SIR. But, unlike a deductible, with an SIR, coverage is not triggered until the SIR is paid by the insured. So, if the TD is sued, there is no coverage until either the TD, participant or PDGA or somebody has paid $10,000 out of pocket for legal fees, litigation costs, damages and any other covered amounts. If you have a homeowner's policy, it likely covers the same thing with the same limits but coverage is triggered at dollar one (with the insurer having the right to recoup the deductible from the insured).

It's pure speculation, but I am betting that the PDGA does not cough up $10,000 to cover the TD's or participant's defense costs if either is sued and the PDGA is not. As to the venues, they probably don't care as long as there is $1,000,000 limits on the CGL policy, assuming that they require insurance in the first place.
February 24, 2014 05:13PM
Okay, so there are actually four policies of insurance. The Accident Policy is pretty interesting. It appears to provide coverage for participants in disc golf tournaments and basically gives them $25,000 worth of insurance coverage for the medical treatment of any injuries that they suffer as a result of accidents during the tournament and on their way to and from the tournament. The deductible is only $250. However, on the declarations page, the "coinsurance" is listed at 100%. That either means that there is no co-insurance or no coverage. Also, this is an adapted school sports policy that references "players, coaches, managers and volunteers" as covered persons, so I'm guessing that the TD and any officials are not covered.

The total premium paid by the PDGA for one year for this portion of the policy is $2,200. I'd be mildly surprised if they have ever gotten a claim. How many of you knew that you get up to $25,000 of medical treatment coverage (and limited death and dismemberment coverage) in a PDGA sanctioned tournament and that it will cover injuries suffered in an automobile accident on the way from your home to the tournament (provided you don't stop along the way)?
February 25, 2014 10:20AM
I finally got a copy of the Liability Policy. There is no deductible, but it apparently doesn't provide coverage for injury to any participant in a tournament. So if one player hits another player with a disc, the injured player is limited to the $25,000 medical coverage in a separate policy and the TD, Park and throwing player get no coverage under this policy. If the Umbrella policy provides coverage, it comes in only after the defendant pays $10,000 out of pocket for the defense of the suit.

$25,000 isn't much coverage for an injury. Example 1 and more info (Jack___! lawyers ;) ), Example 2 (it isn't to difficult to imagine this example being a lot worse), Example 3 (also not difficult to imagine this one being worse).

Edited to correct a misspelling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 10:21AM by Jazzcaster.
February 25, 2014 05:31PM
Gary Wagoner Wrote:
> Jazzcaster Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I wonder how willing an insurer is going to be
> to
> > provide discounted insurance if participation
> is
> > very limited. For a TD with a good homeowners
> > policy, why would that TD get liability
> insurance
> > if the venue doesn't require it?
>
>
> A homeowner's policy is just that: coverage for
> accidents that happen on your property. Even the
> very best homeowner's insurance is not going to
> cover a TD if someone breaks their leg during an
> event and sues him for $1,000,000.

Yeah, uh, this is very wrong. Homeowner's pays all sorts of stuff. Recent example from my work. Hunter shooting a hog only to find out the hog was a dude on a 4 wheeler. This did not happen on the insured property. The insurer ponied up the $100K very fast.
February 25, 2014 10:19PM
Excellent work there Mr. Jazz. In the examples you linked there was no DG event or tournament involved. That means parks need coverage regardless so there is no need for event coverage. It justifies an event coverage fee to the park but Pdga sanctioning is no help in a proper risk plan for these examples. I'd like to know how pdga coverage would have applied to the Memphis situation.
February 26, 2014 08:27AM
Discjazz Wrote:
> Excellent work there Mr. Jazz. In the examples
> you linked there was no DG event or tournament
> involved. That means parks need coverage
> regardless so there is no need for event coverage.
> It justifies an event coverage fee to the park
> but Pdga sanctioning is no help in a proper risk
> plan for these examples.

These things vary from state to state, but in Louisiana, unless the potential damages are huge, the likelihood of a municipality or Parish being sued varies depending on the governmental entity's willingness to pay a judgment, because they just don't have to. They are exempt from seizure.

As to the examples, I was really only using them as examples of damages potential, although I am sure most people understand the potential liability can be high for hitting a young child in the head with a 175g distance driver.

> I'd like to know how
> pdga coverage would have applied to the Memphis
> situation.

So here is the Memphis situation as stated above:

You guys should really look into what happened in Memphis a few years ago. A guy was getting discs out of the water for players and cut his foot. He went to the emergency room and had a huge bill and no insurance. He then sued the club to pay for his medical expenses. *This is all from what has been told, so I am not 100% on the truth here* However, had this been at one of my events where he could've sued me..............I wouldn't have been happy

Whether there would be coverage under the PDGA Accident Policy depends upon whether this happened during a tournament or during a practice session and whether the "guy" who was "getting discs out of the water for players" was a participant in the tournament. Because of the way that the statment was written I am assuming that the "guy" was not a "player." Thus no coverage under the accident policy. If he was a participant and if the incident occurred during the tournament or a practice session for the tournament, then there would be coverage. If the tournament was over, it is likely that there would be no coverage. If there was coverage, he would be entitled to up to $25,000 in medical bills that was not covered by other health insurance.

As to the CGL policy, the coverage can only applies the injury occurred during a PDGA Sanctioned event and the persons against whom he brought the claim were PDGA Members or non-PDGA members who were attendees of the event. If the "guy" was also one of the event participants, i.e., was competing in the tournament, then there is no coverage because coverage is excluded when on player injures another player. There is no coverage for the "club" unless the club was added as a certificate holder, i.e., paid the $50 and got a COI naming the club as an additional insured.

If the Umbrella policy applies, it will only provide coverage after the participants who are sued pay $10,000 out of pocket for defending the suit.

As to the liability picture, I find it extremely unlikely that the "club" is negligent in any way unless they own the body of water that the "guy" cut his foot in and the cut was caused by broken glass or some other dangerous object put there by some person and the club knew that the object was there and failed to remove it or warn people not to go into the water. But, Tennessee may have more plaintiff friendly laws than Louisiana in that respect. Still, the legal fees and cost of defense are the problem. Any of the defendants' homeowner's policies would have likely provided coverage if they were named as individual parties.

If the "guy" had health insurance, then his health insurer would be responsible for the medical bill pursuant to the terms of the health insurance policy.
February 26, 2014 11:36AM
It was clear to me that Mr. Jazz's injury example links were offered only for the purpose of showing the potential risk severity of disc golf. I was just making the point that if a park were to take a holistic approach to insuring against liability for having a DG course, making TD's have event coverage is not the way to go. A park's liability risk exposure is pretty much the same all the time. Event liability coverage just overlaps what the park needs regardless, if any. Maybe those in a tournament are even a little more accurate, reducing the risk compared to the casual golfer who would be throwing but for the event. Instead of requiring event coverage parks should be looking for ways to make their course and other park activities pay for their full time coverage, if their laws indicate they need any at all.

I keep coming back to an example here. A disc golfer was just doing some free style / ultimate style throwing and running on the course between rounds (no sanctioned event that day). He stepped in a hole and had a very severe leg injury. That's a person who perhaps would not have been injured but for the course but was not even playing the sport when injured. I'm not writing about the park's potential liability for that. I'm just saying a park's exposure and need for coverage, or not, is broader than sanctioned events and our sport.

The liability laws are a part of the risk assessment. Jazzcaster writes of LA law. If I were to do the same for MS law it would look very similar, without getting into more detail than useful for these purposes. It looks to me like PDGA coverage would not have helped Memphis much under LA or MS similar laws. I can't speak for TN law.

Bottom line is that PDGA coverage has benefits, but my guess is it's only a matter of time before parks figure out that it ain't the way to go. Of course I could be wrong about that but $100 to satisfy the park for an event is not too steep to stop a tournament series in my opinion. It should be going to the park, but there is no sense trying to convince them of that.
February 26, 2014 12:00PM
I'm not very good with this stuff but I don't understand why all parks don't have liability insurance for any accident which might occur at their park at any time. I don't understand why additional insurance is needed for a tournament. What is the difference between 100 people playing disc golf in a "tournament" or 100 people playing disc golf casually on any other day? Who is liable for all of them on a non-tournament day? I could understand if it was a place that was not open to the public except for during a tournament but that is not the case. Enlighten me please.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
February 26, 2014 12:05PM
I am glad you took the time and effort to clear this all up. Question: If coverage is not necessary in a park, why are parks departments demanding it? Seems to me that only negligence would be the reason to have coverage.
February 26, 2014 02:52PM
Trackin01 Wrote:
> I am glad you took the time and effort to clear
> this all up. Question: If coverage is not
> necessary in a park, why are parks departments
> demanding it? Seems to me that only negligence
> would be the reason to have coverage.

Free defense if sued.
February 26, 2014 03:25PM
cox3
I'm not very good with this stuff but I don't understand why all parks don't have liability insurance for any accident which might occur at their park at any time.

Some do. Some don't. The ones that don't may not need the insurance in the same way that you or I would. Parks are typically owned by a subdivision of the government of their state such as a city, county/parish, or department of the state. In Louisiana, the State of Louisiana and its political subdivisions are exempt from seizure. Seizure is the hammer that a judgment creditor (someone who wins a lawsuit is such a creditor) can use to enforce the judgment. If you and I were to lose a lawsuit, our property could be seized and sold to satisfy the debt. Homeowner's insurance is designed, among other things, to cover cases where you might lose your home to satisfy a judgment arising out of your negligence. When a political subdivision is exempt from seizure, it may not care all that much if you get a judgment against it, at least it may not care enough to go to the additional expense of purchasing insurance. This is because once you have the judgment against a park owner, you may have no means of enforcing it.

But, the park owner's lawyers probably don't work for free and the park owner cannot avoid the expense of paying for a defense to the suit unless it forces the event organizers to insure against it's liability, thereby pushing the defense of any claim onto the insurance company. So even though the park owner may not worry too much about losing a lawsuit, it might be worried enough about having to defend one that it makes event organizers cover that expense by providing insurance.

cox3
I don't understand why additional insurance is needed for a tournament. What is the difference between 100 people playing disc golf in a "tournament" or 100 people playing disc golf casually on any other day? Who is liable for all of them on a non-tournament day? I could understand if it was a place that was not open to the public except for during a tournament but that is not the case. Enlighten me please.

Ultimately, to get an authoritative answer to this, you would have to direct your question to the risk manager or other person responsible for instituting the policy. But, from the standpoint of a Park that requires insurance, it probably seems more likely that they will be involved in a suit arising out of the 12 hours on a Saturday of an event at which many are expected to attend than from 12 hours on the following Saturday when no events are scheduled. In some ways, the additional decisionmaking activity that may lead to a suit against a TD, Organizer or Sponsor, and the additional disc throwing activity in a more crowded setting (spectators and participants in addition to regular park visitors) probably do make a claim more likely from an event like a tournament than from an ordinary day with no event.

Trackin 01
If coverage is not necessary in a park, why are parks departments demanding it? Seems to me that only negligence would be the reason to have coverage.

There is another category of liability called "strict" liability that may apply to the park and participants. While it may be negligent for a TD to allow floating discs to be played from where it's floating in shallow water that may hide unseen hazards, the park may be held liable simply because of the existence of the unreasonable hazards or even an unreasonable course design. A claim against the TD for his negligence in using that rule, may result in a claim against the park (because if you are going to pay for filing the suit, why not go ahead and sue both?).

Any claim against the park, even if it has no chance of succeeding must nevertheless be defended by the Park's attorneys and that expense probably comes straight out of the park's budget. This is just a guess, of course, but I'd bet the cost of defending claims is the primary reason for requiring event coverage from the park's standpoint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2014 03:27PM by Jazzcaster.
February 26, 2014 06:22PM
Makes sense to me.
May 08, 2014 02:14PM
I have tried to get back on this subject and have sent inquiries to several companies. One question that I have received is what do we consider a reasonable rate for insurance? If the SN reached an agreement with a company to be our official insurance provider so that events which need to do so could use them at a reduced rate, what rate would make TDs feel like they were getting a good deal over what they could get on their own? $250? $200? $150? $100?

With the information that Doug posted at the beginning of this thread, I'm not sure that purchasing an encompassing policy is realistic for the SN. I don't think that the majority of our events will want to increase their SN fee from $2 per player to $4 per player for insurance when many of them do not even require it. I may be wrong. Sure, it is nice that the PDGA provides insurance but there is no telling what astronomical amount they pay for that coverage either. That is probably a contributing factor as to why they give almost nothing back to their players and the reason the SN can almost match them in terms of money added to their championship tournament. All factors must be looked at, would we rather have insurance with a $4 per player fee, a $50 sanctioning fee, a $75 annual membership fee, and a $200 entry fee to the championships or would we rather have no insurance with a $2 per player fee, no sanctioning fee, no membership costs, and a $80 entry fee to the championships? In my opinion, when all factors are considered, it would not be cost effective for the SN as a whole to purchase a huge insurance policy to cover all of its events. It would be very nice to be able to offer our tournaments a rate lower than they could get on their own, however.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox

May 08, 2014 04:35PM
cox3
Sure, it is nice that the PDGA provides insurance but there is no telling what astronomical amount they pay for that coverage either.

For calendar year 2014, the PDGA paid $13,564 for its CGL policy and $2,200 for its Accident Policy.

cox3
That is probably a contributing factor as to why they give almost nothing back to their players and the reason the SN can almost match them in terms of money added to their championship tournament.

The PDGA's 2012 receipts were $1,870,888.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2014 04:41PM by Jazzcaster.
May 08, 2014 05:03PM
cox3
All factors must be looked at, would we rather have insurance with a $4 per player fee, a $50 sanctioning fee, a $75 annual membership fee, and a $200 entry fee to the championships or would we rather have no insurance with a $2 per player fee, no sanctioning fee, no membership costs, and a $80 entry fee to the championships? In my opinion, when all factors are considered, it would not be cost effective for the SN as a whole to purchase a huge insurance policy to cover all of its events.

It seems that one of the factors that must be looked at is the actual cost of getting a policy. Without knowing that cost you cannot do the math and you are just speculating and then basing an opinion on the speculation.

Maybe there is another way to do it. Maybe the SN could revisit the issue of paid membership in a limited and voluntary way to get insurance. For example, without requiring anyone to be a paid member, you could offer a paid membership at a cost of say $50-$100 each. Any paid member who TD'd a tournament could get a Certificate of Insurance for his tournaments, no matter how many he TD'd during the policy period (and maybe a cool dri fit tshirt or custom stamped disc or whatever). TD's who don't want a paid membership don't have to pay and also don't get coverage for their events. You could maybe do a club rate for some reasonable multiple that would give a bit of a discount and allow 3 members to TD or whatever. Anyone else could also pay the fee and get the T-shirt and Disc and not have to pay player fees at the tournaments that they play in (just in case there may be some generous individuals who may want to contribute a little to the SN to "grow the sport" or something like that, and if they don't need the insurance, give them the t-shirt and disc for a lower membership fee with the understanding that they can not has insurance).

But no matter what, someone is going to have to get off their butt and actually get a quote from an insurance company before giving any meaningful opinion as to whether it is worth the cost. Just a suggestion: 1) download and print the policies that are linked above (or just the CGL policy); 2) take them to an independent insurance agent and have them contact the issuing insurer and find out how much that insurer will charge to cover the SN and point out that the average number of participants is much smaller than the PDGA and that the number of events is also much smaller and let them know that you don't want to pay over $1,000 for the liability policy. That way you don't have to worry about any per-event fees.
May 08, 2014 08:25PM
Jazzcaster you can't honestly expect this BoD to do anything but say it can't be done.

Website? "Can't be done."

Fixing player points (like 3 different spellings of Darryl Daugherty)? "fixing name stuff is DUMB.... and impossible."---direct quote from Casey (cox3)

Do anything about 3-month old delinquent TD fees? "I expect this payment soon"---direct quote from Casey (cox3)
May 08, 2014 09:04PM
Bluff Magee Wrote:
> Jazzcaster you can't honestly expect this BoD to
> do anything but say it can't be done.
>
>
> Website? "Can't be done."
>
> Fixing player points (like 3 different spellings
> of Darryl Daugherty)? "fixing name stuff is
> DUMB.... and impossible."---direct quote from
> Casey (cox3)
>
> Do anything about 3-month old delinquent TD fees?
> "I expect this payment soon"---direct quote from
> Casey (cox3)

Mike, why do you feel like you are being helpful when you reply to a thread and say nothing about the topic of the thread? Say something insightful.

As for manually editing the results for 100+ tournaments being the way we look to ensure that all points are correctly consolidated, if you don't think that is dumb then we have different ideas of proper efficiency. And yes, it is impossible. I don't even know how the majority of our players spell their names much less how to correct them. I have spent over 20 hours on that topic in the past week and have only corrected the top few in each division plus those who requested it. I have already spent more time than an unpaid volunteer should be expected to spend on a topic such as that. If you would have quoted my entire statement, you would see that I said that player id's is the only way to create the proper efficiency and cut out this unnecessary overload of manual work.

Of course, I don't even know why I responded to that comment on this thread since it is unrelated. I have no problem with your comments but could you please at least make them in the appropriate places so that threads do not become cluttered with off topic chatter? If you had a problem with those statements that I made, it would have been more useful to reply on the threads in which they were made. Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Casey Cox

May 08, 2014 09:18PM
Jazzcaster, I am attempting to get quotes at the moment. I sent out an inquiry to 11 different companies yesterday. I completed one application for a quote today. I expect to fill out more. Some of the companies said that they did not or could not offer what fit what we were looking for up front. I really wanted to gauge people's opinions of a very specific question with my earlier post. If the option we decided upon was to offer a reduced rate only to tournaments which needed insurance rather than purchasing a policy covering the entire series, what would be a cost that those who need insurance would consider as something significantly better than they could get on their own? There is no point in negotiating for a cost that those individuals are not happy with so I would like to know up front what would be a per event cost that they would be happy with? Since the PDGA charges $50 for proof of insurance, $50 for event sanctioning, $1 more than the SN for a per player fee, and $10 per non-member fees/$75 annual membership fees in order to have access to their insurance, I was thinking that anywhere from $100-$250 might be a cost that is a comparable rate and also be less than what could be obtained individually. I am just looking for help on this topic. What would be a satisfying number?

Casey Cox

May 08, 2014 10:28PM
The PDGA sanctioned ~44 tournaments during the first week of May, 2014. There are 10 SNDG events on the schedule for the whole month. The PDGA gets a liability policy for the entire year with coverage for somewhere in the neighborhood of 2000 tournaments for $13,564.00. Broken down per-tournament, that's about $6.75 per tournament. Don't be so sure that the cost for getting a single policy to cover all the SNDG tournaments is prohibitive.

As to getting quotes, maybe you are doing everything diligently, but it seems you are making it more difficult on yourself than it needs to be. There is already a company who has written a policy covering the exact same thing on a larger scale. They obviously write the right type of insurance. Why not ask an independent agent, i.e., someone who can approach them, to get you a quote. Let the agent do the work of getting the quote (it's what agents do for a living) and just give him the information that he needs (like a copy of the liability policy at the link above). On a per-tournament basis, the price of a policy will include the administrative expense and agent commission of setting up a separate policy for every tournament that gets the insurance. Don't reinvent the wheel unless you have to. The PDGA does it the way they do for a reason - that reason may not apply to the SNDG, but it sure seems worth investigating.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJ , RTG
Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013