Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

2015 SNPC Host: Tupelo, MS

Posted by cox3 
2015 SNPC Host: Tupelo, MS
February 11, 2014 08:19PM
At this time, the board would like to begin receiving bids to host the 2015 Southern Nationals Pro Championships (SNPC). This event will be a United States Disc Golf Championship (USDGC) qualifying tournament.

Date: May 23-24, 2015 (Memorial Day weekend)

Minimum Requirements
- PDGA sanctioning
- (2) 18+ hole courses with the appropriate challenge, maintenance, and infrastructure
- 3 1/2 rounds of competition. A cut may be made after the 3rd round.
- A continuing score finals for the top 4 players in Open Pro.
- Divisions Offered: Open Pro, Pro Women, and any other age and/or gender protected division with three or more competitors wishing to participate.
- A payout in each division which equals 125% of the fees received and entry fees received combined. For example, if the fees received for a specific division are $750 and the entry fees received for that division are $250, the total payout for that division must be $1,250 (125% of $1,000)
- The number of spots paid in each division equals 35-50% of the total number of participants in that division. The same standard is to be applied across all divisions offered.
- A player's package equal to $20 in fair retail value for each competitor
- A trophy/plaque for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each division offered
- Two ancillary events such as a driving contest, putting contest, skills competition, mini golf competition, ring of fires, etc.
- A complete accounting of all revenue, expenses, and prizes awarded to be submitted to the board following the tournament

Support Received
- All championship fees collected from professional divisions in singles tournaments from March 16, 2014, to December 31, 2014
- All profit made from Southern Nationals bag tag and merchandise sales
- Other financial consideration such as money to cover non-member PDGA fees

Compensation
- If all requirements set forth are met, the host is allowed to keep a maximum of $500

Please refer to the thread titled "New SN Handbook" on either the "General Discussion" board or "SN Tournament Information" board and the thread titled "Southern National Pro Championship Guidelines" on the "SN Board of Directors" board for more specific policies, and/or items not mentioned in this post, regarding the Southern Nationals tournament series and this specific event.

By submitting a bid to host the 2015 Southern Nationals Pro Championship, you are agreeing to the requirements previously set forth. While minimum requirements are listed, please provide specific details about your plan to host this event including the following: the courses in which you are planning to use (along with any planned upgrades for these courses prior to the tournament or any temporary setups which will be used during the tournament), the exact format which you intend to use for the tournament, your goal for additional fundraising for this event, any events outside of the actual competition which will be made available for competitors, and any other relevant information.

This event will be awarded based on which submission best displays the ambition to provide the highest quality championship possible, which site offers the best collection of courses appropriate for this event, and which location provides the most access for the largest number of Southern Nationals players.

If you would like to submit a bid to host this event, please post it here or send it to a member of the board. My e-mail address is caseydancox@gmail.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2014 12:00PM by cox3.
Re: Now Accepting 2015 SNPC Bids!
February 23, 2014 10:20PM
so if it is a $10,000 tourney you must add $2500 dollars and cover the costs of the event??? That is asking a lot, and more than a PDGA A-tier... are you guys sure about these numbers???
February 23, 2014 11:05PM
I found that very interesting as well, Buddy. I just took that information from the championship guideline threads which have existed for several years. I am not sure who came up with the specifics listed in those threads. I would imagine it was a collaboration of whoever was on the board at that time. I do believe that it would not hurt for us to review those guidelines and possibly make some modifications. I also found the $500 cap on profit by the host interesting. Personally, I believe that these two items could be combined. Maybe, allowable profit could be something such as $300 + 20% of added cash (not provided by the SN). This could provide more incentive for groups to want to host a championship and also provide more incentive for hosts to make the tournament as good as possible.

I do agree with you, though, Buddy that 125% seems excessive-- especially when you are only allowing a profit of $500. That is a lot of work for a small level compensation. I will say that I doubt this standard has been met very many times and no one has been held accountable for not meeting it so I guess that it is more of a recommendation than anything...

I will also add that I don't think setting standards similar to that of a PDGA A-tier is outrageous by any means. I view the SNPC as about that level of an event. Sometimes it has been closer to a NT and sometimes it has been closer to a B-tier but on average, it is about equal to an A-tier...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2014 11:08PM by cox3.
March 03, 2014 07:45AM
A CONTINUING SCORE FINAL... HOW BORING for the gallery!!!
March 05, 2014 08:43AM
What will be the deadline for host cities to submitt bids for the SNPC?
March 05, 2014 12:25PM
hudd Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What will be the deadline for host cities to
> submitt bids for the SNPC?

We haven't set a hard deadline. We are hoping to announce the bids at the SN Cup which is May 31-June 1 so I would imagine that we will cut it off a week or two before that-- so mid to late May. We will set a specific date when we get close to that time. Thanks.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox

March 05, 2014 12:53PM
Thanks Casey.
March 31, 2014 05:01PM
We have decided to set the deadline for 2015 SNC bids as Sunday, May 11th at 11:59 pm.

If you would like to be considered for multiple SNCs, that is not a problem. We will select the SNPC site 1st, followed by the SNAC, and then the SNDC. If multiple cities submit a bid for the SNPC, for instance, we will communicate with the one(s) not selected to see if they would like to be considered for the other(s) before continuing the selection process.

We ask that each location please consider the possibility of hosting a championship. It is a very good opportunity to showcase your city to a variety of people who might not otherwise get to experience what you get to experience all the time. We do understand that some locations might not have the resources to do so, however. The SNDC might be a good option for a location with less resources or experience in hosting a larger event. As I said, it is definitely something for each community to consider in the coming weeks even if the final decision is to not submit a bid. Do not hesitate to contact a board member with any questions that you may have.

Thank you all very much!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/31/2014 05:03PM by cox3.
April 03, 2014 10:02PM
Minimum Requirements
- PDGA sanctioning
Why is PDGA sanction mandatory? & why not just run a PDGA sanctioned championship style tourney where the host could make it profitable for both their club as well as the event without all of these ridiculous stipulations if that is the case? & Since nothing is required up front other than a hypothetical bid. What is going to prevent the host from not meeting the requirements?

- A payout in each division which equals 125% of the fees received and entry fees received combined. For example, if the fees received for a specific division are $750 and the entry fees received for that division are $250, the total payout for that division must be $1,250 (125% of $1,000)
This happens at nearly every Crosstown Traffic Event.

- The number of spots paid in each division equals 35-50% of the total number of participants in that division. The same standard is to be applied across all divisions offered.
35-50%? How vague could you possibly be? If you are going to attempt to mimic the PDGA's procedures then this should be more specifically defined the same as they do.

- A player's package equal to $20 in fair retail value for each competitor
Who determines the value?

- A complete accounting of all revenue, expenses, and prizes awarded to be submitted to the board following the tournament
The SN can't even do this.

Compensation
- If all requirements set forth are met, the host is allowed to keep a maximum of $500
The host club or individual is almost guaranteed a loss by running the event.

WHAT A JOKE!!!
April 03, 2014 10:35PM
Bernie, just to let you know, none of that is new information. I simply pulled all of that from the existing SNPC Guidelines thread on the SN BOD board. (I think I may have added that PDGA sanctioning because I thought that was something that had been added since the inception of those guidelines. I thought that it was something that USDGC preferred and that the SN players preferred. Perhaps it should not be "required".) Regardless, the original guideline threads for each of the SNCs were introduced in 2006. I am not sure how they were originally written or who had input into them. I do think that much of it is outdated, not realistic, not applicable, etc. I do think that reviewing what the SN expects out of its championships is something that we should look at before next year. For much of it, I think that going with the "less is more" approach and eliminating some of it might be best. For other parts, making more realistic goals and more specific measures might be needed. Like I already replied to Buddy, those "requirements" have been around since 2006 and I'm not sure how many times a championship have even referred to them during event planning or execution so I'm not sure what role the guidelines have actually played during the past 8 years. That is why I stated that eliminating some of it might be best. I take it from your comments that you too believe that modification is needed? If/when we do review those documents, we will be certain to request input from experienced disc golfers and tournament directors such as yourself.

Casey Cox

April 03, 2014 10:44PM
Well said Casey. I was under the impression that the BOD was not interested in improving their procedures.
May 07, 2014 12:10PM
Deadline for submissions is 4 days away! Be sure to talk to your local club this weekend about the possibility of hosting an SN championship!
May 12, 2014 08:55AM
So nobody bid on the pro championships?

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
May 12, 2014 09:02AM
Yea somebody bid on the SNPC....at least one that I know of.
May 12, 2014 09:41AM
From what I know, no one as bid on the SNDC....

Field limited to 90 players
[www.facebook.com]
May 12, 2014 12:30PM
Bidding is closed. Thank you.

Casey Cox

May 13, 2014 11:58AM
The city of Tupelo and Tupelo Disc Golf Assn. In conjunction with Tupelo Park & Rec would formally like to submit our Bid for the 2015 Southern National Pro Championships to be held on May 23rd-24th, 2015.

Three well manicured, championship level courses will be used.

Veterans DGC
Thunderchief DGC
Music Bend DGC

All 3 courses are located within the same park. This will make travel between rounds really easy.

Every player will play 3 full rounds on all 3 courses. There will be a cut after 3 rounds and 33% of the field will play another 9 holes. Then the top 4 scores will play another 9 holes to end the day.

Each player participating in the 2015 SNPC will receive a players pack worth at least $20.
There will be trophies for 1st,2nd, and 3rd place in each division.
There will be at least 125% payout.
There will be a host Hotel will a discounted rate for all out of town players
There will be a players party on Saturday night.

Tupelo Disc Golf Assn will:
1. Absorb total cost of players packs
2. Absorb total cost of plaques/trophies
3. Absorb total cost of players party

This will leave all money from SN fees and entry fees to go to payout.
This would probably be somewhere around $3,500 added cash.

Tupelo looks forward to getting the opportunity to host yet another Championship for the Southern nationals. We have a proven track record as a host for events like this. With 9 courses at our fingertips we are a true disc golf destination in the south

Thank you for your consideration in letting our great city host the 2015 Southern National Pro Championship.

Jason Cross President
Zack Hudson Vice President
Ronnie McCoy Secretary
Deborah McCoy Treasurer
Tony Palmer Sargent at Arms

TDGA 2015
May 13, 2014 11:59AM
We are pleased to announce that the Tupelo Disc Golf Association's bid to host 2015 Southern National Pro Championship has been accepted!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013