Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Playing as an amateur PDGA and Pro SNDG

Posted by ArchHyzer 
Playing as an amateur PDGA and Pro SNDG
February 13, 2014 10:53AM
Have been playing in Grandmaster division for about 7 years.
If I were to join the PDGA, I would like to confirm that I can sign up in the amateur category, accept cash payouts pro grandmaster in sndg only tourneys and prizes in dual sanctioned events if playing in pro grand masters.
I do not qualify for advanced grandmasters in dual sanctioned tourneys since I have accepted cash in sndg events.
Re: Playing as an amateur PDGA and Pro SNDG
February 13, 2014 11:05AM
I believe that the SN defers to the PDGA in dual sanctioned tournaments. So regardless of how many times you have accepted cash in SN you can still play whatever you are eligible to play in PDGA. And what you do in non-PDGA tournaments definitely has no bearing on what division you are eligible to play according to the PDGA.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox
"If you aint first, you're last." -- Ricky Bobby's daddy

2007-2008 SN Amateur Player of the Year
SN advanced single season points record holder - 466 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season wins record holder - 16 (2007-2008)
SN advanced single season score record holder - 53.40 (2007-2008)
February 13, 2014 02:00PM
I defer to PDGA in dual sanction events I run

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
February 13, 2014 08:53PM
Yep. 6.10
February 14, 2014 11:45AM
Ok, upon further reflection I may have read and responded to this question incompletely. You did not state enough facts for us to know your SN classification. If you have never accepted Pro cash in any SN event you can play in an Amateur division in a SN only event, no matter how many times you played Pro GM. You have been playing SN Pro GM for 7 years so I'm going to assume at some point you accepted cash for your finish. If that is correct then you became a SN Pro when you took the cash. Next we have to know if you qualify for reclassification to SN Amateur. That happened if you finished 4 consecutive in PGM without accepting finishing cash. If that has happened then you are again classified by the SN as an Amateur. Now assuming that has not happened, then you are still a SN Pro. I will answer the rest of your questions based on that assumption that you are currently classified by the SN as a Pro (due to finishing cash acceptance).

You can "join the PDGA". If you join as an Amateur then in any PDGA or SN/PDGA dual sanctioned event in which you are qualified to play Amateur by PDGA rules you "can sign up in the amateur category". SN Rule 6.10. You can continue playing SN only events as a PGM and "accept cash payouts" without endangering your right to play Amateur in any PDGA event whether it is also SN sanctioned or not. This means that if you are entitled to play in the advanced GM division under PDGA rules then you CAN play "advanced grandmasters in dual sanctioned tourneys" even though you have "accepted cash in sndg events".

You also can accept "prizes in dual sanctioned events if playing in pro grand masters", but that means you have chosen and qualified to play Pro in a PDGA event. Most likely the prize you would win would be cash. I am not attempting to tell you what accepting PDGA cash does to your PDGA status. I'm just answering a SN rules question here.

If an event is dual sanctioned by the PDGA and the SN then the only divisional or classification rules that apply are the PDGA rules. The one exception would be a SNC. I don't think any SNAC or SNDC has ever been PDGA sanctioned so this is irrelevant to your questions but if they were PDGA then SN rules would apply, not PDGA. SN rules would also apply to a SNPC but then there are no amateur divisions in that event so I assume that is also irrelevant to your question. You do need a couple SN points to qualify for the SNPC and you can only get them from playing in a SNQ.
February 17, 2014 04:41PM
I've been playing Pro Masters and Pro Grandmasters for a number of years. I've accepted cash in SN-only events, and it's my understanding that this does not affect my PDGA amateur status. I have refused cash or prizes in those infrequent PDGA tourneys where I have finished in the cash. After one such finish I received a nice e-mail from the PDGA office congratulating me on my new Pro status and I had to arrange for the TD confirm to the PDGA that I refused the cash.

I am not sure whether accepting prizes (in lieu of cash) in a PDGA event can compromise amateur status. To be safe, I also decline the prizes if offered.
February 18, 2014 01:47PM
Hello Rob,
I have been considering this situation also, and I will follow the thread to see where it leads. Though I was lucky enough to win the POG in 2012 in the Pro GM division, medical issues have decreased my distance and competitive edge. At age 53, I don't expect any miraculous recovery or advances forward in my game, to the contrary I just wait to see how much it will decline. I see that Big Brown has begun playing in the advanced Grandmasters, so if for no other reason than to get to play some rounds with you guys, I'll have to consider that move in the future also.

See you in a few weeks,
Disc Daddy
February 18, 2014 02:36PM
Thanks for weighing in.
Based on interpretations above:
If I have PDGA amateur status I should be able enter the following divisions:

Play for cash in pro grandmasters SN level tournaments.

Play for prizes only in advance grandmasters in mixed PDGA/SN and PDGA only tourneys.

This by rule effect would also apply for other divisions ie:
Open in SN only and Advanced in mixed PDGA/SN and PDGA only tourneys.

I would like this to be very clear for future reference.
February 18, 2014 04:30PM
There is no SN rule contrary to your conclusions. I am interested in the accuracy of those conclusions under PDGA rules but not enough to look it up at this time. Specifically I am wondering about whether ratings matter and could mean that one with PDGA "amateur status" could still be unqualified for some PDGA amateur division(s).

If you are just asking about what divisions you can play in a dual sanctioned PDGA/SN event the answer is that it depends solely on what divisions you are qualified for under PDGA rules, unless the event is one of the 3 yearly SNCs.
February 18, 2014 06:47PM
That is correct.

Kevin, accepting cash in non-PDGA events as no bearing on your status as a PDGA amateur. Furthermore, there are two ways to have amateur status in the PDGA. If you have never accepted cash, you can still play as an amateur despite what your rating is. If you have accepted cash but your rating is below there designated thresholds (which I believe is <970 for open), you can also play as an amateur.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Casey Cox

February 18, 2014 07:15PM
So can he play PDGA intermediate, am master, rec?
February 18, 2014 09:42PM
I see what you are asking...

The PDGA does force players to move up within the amateur ranks. It just doesn't force anyone to move from amateur to pro based on rating.

If you have a player rating of 935+, you are required to play advanced whether you have ever cashed in advanced or not.

If you have never cashed in pro, however, you can still play advanced regardless of how high you are rated.

If you have cashed in pro, you can play advanced if your rating falls below 970.

In other words, rating dictates what division you can play in except for the move from an amateur division to a pro division...

Casey Cox

February 19, 2014 02:16PM
I like how they do the ratings.

Terry Zeringue
April 02, 2014 11:13AM
I know this is an old topic but I wanted to expand on something Casey said. A PDGA player who has accepted cash in a PDGA event or registered with the PDGA as a Pro and is rated below 970 may play in any amateur division which the player qualifies for in a PDGA A, B, or C tier event. The player cannot play in a PDGA Major in any Amateur division.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013