Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

alternate pin placements

Posted by johnsell 
alternate pin placements
February 24, 2014 11:41AM
I have a question for anyone that might know the answer. I am looking into putting alternate pin placements at my local course and will be using PVC, quikrete, and chain link. My question is what size PVC do the baskets fit in? 2"? 2 1/2"?
Re: alternate pin placements
February 24, 2014 09:36PM
2" usually
February 25, 2014 10:24AM
Not an advisable plan of attack. We attempted to use that method here and promptly lost 2 baskets.. I would suggest spending the $25 for a real sleeve.....which is more affordable to you...... a sleeve for $25 or a $400 basket.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
February 25, 2014 11:07AM
Anyone can take a basket no matter how it is put in the ground if they really want to take it. A pair of bolt cutters will pop the lock quick. This is of course me assuming you were referring to theft when talking about the lost baskets
February 25, 2014 11:11AM
It's actually surprising more baskets aren't stolen. If thieves knew their worth I bet there would be more thefts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 11:11AM by Gourley.
February 25, 2014 01:13PM
OK Johnsell have at it. Thought you might have appreciated a little experience. The locks we use are hardened steel unlike chain link. Yes a bolt cutter will still cut the locks but much more difficult then your chain link which pops in mere seconds. Good luck.

JABBA

it MUST be the plastic
February 25, 2014 02:10PM
There was no disrespect meant at all and i do appreciate your experience and am thankful for your input; however, i was simply stating if thieves really want it then they will get the basket. There isnt really a way to stop that from happening.
February 25, 2014 04:30PM
I use a closed shackle padlock like this one for my baskets:

James Ireland
They're always after me lucky bag tag!
[www.ecdgc.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 04:31PM by jamesireland.
February 26, 2014 01:32AM
Concrete, Rebar, and welded locks, unless your thief is driving a backhoe, he aint gettin that basket.

Central Louisiana Disc Golf Association President
Ryan Niccolini PDGA#55907
February 26, 2014 08:36AM
If you have a just a little experience with metal working you could easily think of a combination of two tools that will take down any basket in a few seconds no matter how it is put in the ground, or a single cordless tool that will cut through any padlock, even the one pictured above, even hardened steel, or even the center post in mere seconds. Locks are a great deterrent, but just like when the car steering wheel locks drove car thieves to just cut the steering wheel instead, theives can find a way to take a basket very quickly if they really want to.
February 26, 2014 09:15AM
exactly my thoughts jazzcaster. also, im trying to keep cost to a minimum because everything will be coming out of my pocket.
February 26, 2014 09:04PM
DGA baskets have center poles with the following dimensions: 1 1/2 in. I.D., 1 15/16 in. O.D.
The Anchor for the baskets is 2 1/8" OD pipe which I can only guess is 2" ID, 1/16" wall (that gives 1/32" clearance).

The Mach III Spec Sheet is where I got this info. The same dimensions are on the spec sheets for the Mach V. I assume that the same pole is used for all their baskets since the new basket (part) is use on all their models now.

So it looks like 2" ID pipe is what you need with a flange to attach a lock. BTW, additional anchors are only $25. I just ordered a few. Shipping was only $12.50.

Oh yeah, and for the silent removal of a basket in about a minute or so, you can just use one of these or a slightly more heavy duty variation. I'd almost forgot my pipefitting apprentice days.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2014 09:13PM by Jazzcaster.
March 03, 2014 08:01AM
Locks are to keep non-smart thieves from stealing!!! Cutting a Tab takes about 10 seconds on ANY Basket, niklpenny!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013