Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Status of Mardi Gras Madness

Posted by Crow 
Status of Mardi Gras Madness
January 30, 2003 09:59PM
This was talked about on another thread, and I would like to get things cleared up. According to what Mike told me at Ice Bowl, and according to the MGM thread on PDGA DISCussion, Mardi Gras Madness is PDGA B-Tier but not SNQ.
john kittrell
Re: Status of Mardi Gras Madness
January 31, 2003 07:17AM
Thanks, I'll correct it on the tournament page.
John k
jim
February 02, 2003 12:34AM
sorry i thought mike told me it was going to be both. i quess i misunderstood him ,mike are you out there , please let us know ,ill try to call him tomorrow ,jim
misterbogey
February 02, 2003 07:22PM
I believe Mike had announced at the Lafayette Mid-Winter Open that the Mardi Gras Madness would be SNDG this year. But that may have just been the "Thrill of Victory!" ;-)

Guess we need to hear it from the champ himself...
February 03, 2003 08:40AM
Check this web site:

[www.ldga.bravepages.com]

There is a link to the SN web site, but it doesn't say it is SNQ.

Not that that should stop ANYONE from going to a tournament sponsored by Hooters.
sorry for not posting sooner, me and blessed lettuce were busy this weekend cashing at the supertour in florida. gran canyon=best course in the south, hands down.
anyway, as of right now the 2003 Hooters Mardi Gras Madness is not a SNQ event. jim and i have discussed it but as of now, no official agreement is in place. if i had more help here in new orleans it wouldn't be a problem and i know it would add to our attendance, but we can't really handle more than 100 players as it is. is it disappointing? yes it is. but i'd rather run a smooth event with a smaller field.
February 03, 2003 12:25PM
Mikey cashed at the Canyon. Great job!
February 03, 2003 12:44PM
Hey Mike it would be nice to earn sn points at this event, but that wont stop a few of us laf.dg's from coming. Mike is friday morning too early to show up if we are camping.
you can show up as early as wednesday night if you need to, it won't be a problem. see you there.
grayson
February 05, 2003 11:31AM
i am sure myself and the other hcsv members would be happy to sponcor a hole for ctp cash. please let us know. rob i am coming for my 17
February 05, 2003 05:46PM
Get in line Grayson. I'm coming for your #17, too. =8)
grayson, of course we will be thankful to put up a CTP if y'all want to sponsor us. bring it on!
Hey mike could you give us the weather info when its the week of tourney please.. thanx. Grayson Someone tells me you may know where a lost cell phone is.....????????????
February 08, 2003 08:15PM
weather.com
February 10, 2003 08:34AM
Hey mike do you still have spots left for open players? I'm planning on coming if you still have spots Ill' send a check . Thanks Bob
yes, we have spots available mr. satter. we don't turn anyone away, but we will charge a $5 late fee if you sign up saturday morning. there will be doubles friday afternoon, you can sign up then if need be. if you have anymore questions you can e-mail me at underparmike@yahoo.com or post here or at the PDGA forums...
grayson
February 10, 2003 04:11PM
yes
bob satter
February 10, 2003 07:06PM
Thanks and Ill see everyone there Bob
February 10, 2003 10:45PM
Besides the $5 late fee for signing up Sat. morning, I assume there will be a $5 fee for all non-PDGA members, correct?

Crow
yes crow, but only for the advanced, open, masters, grandmasters, and am masters. novice(recreational), amateur, and am ladies don't have to pay the $5 fee if they're not PDGA members. pro ladies won't have to put up $5 either if they're not a member.

who's coming from your way, crow?
SNBT#69
February 11, 2003 12:03PM
My opinions are based on participating in both SN & PDGA events, both as a competitor and a volunteer.

PDGA sanctioning only costs more $ and really has no added incentive to the lions share of regional golfers--- what, maybe .01% of regional golfers attend worlds?

(O wait, they sent a banner to toad for his event. I guess that is an added incentive.)

I attended AM Worlds twice and entered that event with zero PDGA points both times.... that whole PDGA AM Worlds points qualifying thing is kind of misleading, imo...

Of course... to attend Pro Worlds would be a different scenario, but i have no dilusions of beating the Climos of the sport and have no plans on ever being a touring golfer-- like most golfers around these parts, i would guess....

(disclaimer I do recommend attempting to attend WORLDS-- for those who have that goal... it was a blast! ... but then what disc golf event isn't! :^)

Also, PDGA sanctioning doesn't really draw that many extra golfers from outside the region and the money they gather is spent on stuff like: paying two staffers and one consultant nearly 100,000$ ANNUALLY and recently they gave Sportsloop 45,000$ for marketing the National PDGA tour. (sportsloop is a sports marketing firm in chicago)

SportsLoop STILL has not landed any sponsors-- and if they never do-- the PDGA will have to pay a HUGE exit fee to get out of the contract.

Sportsloop is also supposed to print a "Players Guide" (with a dress code, lol) and issue press releases in the cities in which the National Tour will occur.

Phffft...

Maybe it is just me, but printing a small handbook-- and faxing press releases to news outlets does not justify a 45 THOUSAND dollar expenditure.

Sportslop'n has other clients (ball golf tour) and they have indeed landed sponsors for BALL GOLF-- but that does not automagically enable them to do so for disc golf...

I think the folks that negotiated the contract with SportsLoop were lacking in experience at negotiating such contracts, but they had good intentions. (Quite an expensive lesson... though)

Actually I hope I'm incorrect-- and Sportsloop lands dozens of huge corporate sponsors. I will not be holding my breath though.

Also, when the PDGA sets up an office and a multicourse facility in Georgia-- things could perhaps get better... Again, it might not be wise to hold your breath while waiting for that miracle.

Also, do you enjoy the AM division you participate in? If the PDGA has anything to do with it-- those divisions will be turned into a lemming league, IMO. (Masters beware... that div seems to slowly but surely being eliminated by the PDGA... they claim that is not the case, but the ratings events i attended DID NOT OFFER master or adv masters... and that seems to be a trend)

From what i saw, ratings events forced (some) bagging-- one of the things they were created to eliminate (many of the PDGA ratings movers and shakers seem to feel that bagging is rampant)

It was reasons like these that i decided to not renew with the PDGA. I wanted to attend Am Worlds and did so... but I do not support all of what they are doing, as an organization.

FACT: The kis principle works really well. That is what makes the SN so popular and successful.

Again, these are only my opinions. Mikey can-- of course-- have his fine event sanctioned by whomever he wishes... and the MGM event will be just as fun, regardless....
February 11, 2003 12:54PM
Hey Mikey Mike,
I won't be able to get there until after the doubles, hhow long are you going to be at the cuorse on Fri night? I think I'll be staying at Ben F's but I might camp out if it is purdy out and not too cold.

Any way, I'm coming to knock you off your pedistal and get the just praise that I deserve.

Goooo Hooters
bobsatter
February 11, 2003 01:49PM
Will I hope you decide to camp out! Don't forget #32 bag tag I'm sure you want a chance to get it back. Odds highly unlikely lol!!! Mike I to will be arriving late and missing doubles. Bag tag #69 this is a free country but, we need someone to try and improve the golf scene maybe you can put those opinons to good use and help the scene and dont bash it. Back to the thread I cant wait for the MGM. Mikey let me know if there is anythig I can help with Bob.
SNBT#69
February 11, 2003 02:59PM
bob,

after attending 2 AM Worlds (one as a volunteer and a competitor at both) and then staffing for the entire week of Houston Pro Worlds-- i have obtained that point of view... ie: hands on volunteer exposure to the PDGA ...

I just think the SN is better... just an opinion
grayson
February 11, 2003 04:29PM
all these 5$ fees are going to hurt, like when bilbo violates stephen's pink sock.
will, you will have to wait to beat me on my home course since i will not be playing in the MGM...the field is going to be way too big as it is.

vic, once again, the PDGA is the only national disc golf organization and sure it ain't run perfectly but it's the only one we have and it's worth the $50 a year. if i pay your membership this year will you quit ragging the PDGA? southern nationals ain't perfect either, i won't go into details.

as for how long i'll be at the farm friday night, i am not sure. let's see what the weather's gonna be like.
SNBT#69
February 12, 2003 09:23AM
mikey,

i was just stating info about how they spend the 5$ (and membership revenue)

btw, thanks for the offer but i am not interested in renewing with the PDGA.

i do not support an organization developing a divisional structure that is heading a direction that will likely phase out the masters divisions...
Zplasticmaster
February 12, 2003 09:43AM
what is a pink sock? Grayson, do you have first hand experience?
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Thats what grayson sounds like when he farts....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 15
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013