Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

City of Mobile tourney

Posted by Zplasticmaster 
Zplasticmaster
City of Mobile tourney
February 19, 2003 11:48AM
Will the City of Mobile tourney be a PDGA event?
John Kittrell
Re: City of Mobile tourney
February 19, 2003 02:04PM
I believe the City of Mobile will be a B tier PDGA event. To find out for sure email Joe Sherrod (he's running the event) at sherrod@yahoo.com I will try to find out myself and post on the tournament page.
John K
R. A.
February 19, 2003 04:16PM
Ronnie and I talked to Joe at the Muni tourney, he said that it will NOT be a PDGA tourney this time. But double check just in case he changed his mind.

Robin
Zplasticmaster
February 20, 2003 08:38AM
O.K.
Anyone else know anything?
I tried mailing Joe but was told my mail couldn't be sent to that address.
John Kittrell
February 20, 2003 08:53AM
Zplas
My email failed as well. His phone number is on the tournament page, 251-343-0490. This info came from a flyer he gave me at the municipal tournament. Based on his conversation with Robin and the fact I can't find it on the PDGA calender I would assume that it's not a PDGA tournament.
Hope the info helps...
John K
Zplasticmaster
February 20, 2003 09:48AM
John,

I just went and looked at the PDGA web site under the PDGA tourney schedule and The City of Mobile Championships was listed.
The dates were Mar 8th & 9th. It also listed his e-mail as sherrodk@yahoo.com. Am I talking about the same tourney? Those are the correct dates right? Also It stated that the event is a B-tier event and it isn't sanctioned. What exactly does "Sanctioned" mean? Do it mean that the event isn't a PDGA qualifier?
I will also E-mail Joe. Thanks for the help.

Stephen
February 20, 2003 10:08AM
if the event is listed on the PDGA schedule as "not sanctioned" that means that the PDGA office has not yet received the sanctioning fee for that tournament.
Zplasticmaster
February 20, 2003 10:23AM
I guess my real question is: If I play in the City Of Mobile Champs, Will I still qualify to go to Am Worlds even though the tourney isn't sanctioned?
Or do I need to play in a tourney that IS sanctioned in order to qualify for AM Worlds?
S
grayson
February 20, 2003 09:43PM
does the fact that city of mobile tournament is a pdga tournament mean that people will be steping down a division to not cash in the pros so that they can play in the lower of the two divisions at worlds? if so i don't think i can hang, and am probably less likely to spend the cash. i am trying not to wine, and i kinda see where these people are coming from but like i said i can't hang on a pro level.
February 20, 2003 10:28PM
As Mikey said A "sanctioning fee", one more way the PDGA gets you!

Joe had also told me at the Muni Tourny that it was NOT going to be a PDGA event this year, and was going to talk to jim about SN sanctioning.

I undrestand what you are saying about people being able to play pro in SN and Adv in PDGA events, but until we can get a board of directors to adress this issue,If we even want to, and get something worked out.

I do forsee more double sanctioning in the future, especially when the Masters age difference goes away.

Peace,
Willy BT
SNBT#89
February 20, 2003 10:28PM
Or do I need to play in a tourney that IS sanctioned in order to qualify for AM Worlds?

yes. you would not be awarded points for a non sanctioned event.

that would not stop you from being able to attend AM Worlds.

you can get in on the waitlist.

it is actually quite hard (impossible) to "qualify for worlds" from PDGA points-- because there are so few PDGA events in our region.

the top points earners are awarded "invitations" to worlds...

they either choose to say yes and $ign up-- or not...

the remaining "spots" go to a "waitlist"

get in touch with brian hoeniger (guru) to find out specifics.
pdga.com has his email...

go!! worlds is a blast!!
Tony Bass
February 20, 2003 11:22PM
Grayson,
Boo hoo hoo!! You should give yourself more credit, and never count yourself out against anyone!! If you can't afford the tournament fees, that's understandable, but don't tell me your not going to attend an event because your afraid of who you might be up against. There comes a time for everyone to play against people they don't really think they can beat. But if you beleive in yourself and your game, well there is nothing that can stop you! Except self-destruction, which got me at Municipal last weekend, ha-ha! Later

TB
grayson
February 22, 2003 10:00AM
tony
you should write for afterschool specials. you are almost as much of a dork as phillip. thanks for the confidence though.

sorry to get of the subject of mobile
Zplasticmaster
February 24, 2003 08:50AM
The More You Know.
Brought to you by the friends at NBC.
February 24, 2003 08:27PM
GIve toney a little more credit than that grayson. No ones as big of dork as phillip.. thanks for your support
February 24, 2003 10:47PM
Grayson, I need your email address. Email me at aircrow@bellsouth.net
February 25, 2003 03:52PM
Does anyone know exactly how the Amatuer's playing on 4 different courses over the course of the tournament is going to work out? It's looking like some of us from North MS are coming down to give it a toss but we'll probably have 3 different levels of Amateur in 1 vehicle and want to know if this is going to cause us an issue. We will have Am and Adv Men as well as an Am Woman so will those 3 divisions always be on the same course together or will we be scrambling from course to course?

Jeff
Tony Bass
March 03, 2003 02:18PM
Where are the doubles going to be held on Friday and how much is the entry fee? Also is the pro pool going to play Hobbit park for sure, or what? Any info. on this issue will be much appreciated!
TB
March 03, 2003 03:18PM
Where is Hobbit Park? I hadn't heard of that one until this tournament. It's not listed in the PDGA directory. What's the course like?
John Kittrell
March 03, 2003 04:10PM
TB - The doubles will be held at Municipal park from 2-4pm. I'll call and ask Joe questions about who's playing what course and where each pool should meet Saturday morning.

Goby - Hobbit park is the latest park put in. It's located off Springhill Ave going into downtown Mobile (I'll get specific directions while I'm calling around) The course in on the south side of a huge drainage ditch/river that runs out of Municipal park. The course is long, mostlly open, lots of elevation changes, and the drain presents a water hazard on about 7-8 holes. Its a great course. All wet plastic is retreivable unless its raining.
Later...
John K
March 03, 2003 04:15PM
John can you ask if ALL Am divisions will play together the entire tourmament or if they'll be split off to different courses. There are 3 of us (in Am men, Am women, and Adv) that are thinking of coming down but it'll be in one vehicle. We need to know if this is going to cause issues.

Thanks,

Jeff
March 03, 2003 09:28PM
Hobbit Park rocks! It's in Buddy's back yard, and it is a great course. It will test your arm and your accuracy, not to mention your nerves if the wind is blowing good. Unforunately, I have family stuff this weekend, so I won't make this tournament for the 28th year in a row.
John Kittrell
March 05, 2003 07:39AM
I talked to Joe last night. There will be a players meeting for everyone @9am at Chickasabouge park. Joe will determine if two pool are necessary by the players meeting. If there are two pools the pros will be playing (1) Chickasabouge, (2) Hobbit park, (3) Cottage Hill, and (4) Municipal. The am pool (1) Chickasaw park, (2) Chickasabouge, (3) Municipal, and (4) Cottage Hill. Remember the key is ridged flexability. If you have questions Joe's number is 251-343-0490 and his email address is sherrodk@yahoo.com Hope the info helps.
John K
John Kittrell
March 05, 2003 07:58AM
Jeff
I forgot to ask if all the ams would be in one pool, however track me down Saturday morning at Chickasabouge during the players meeting. I'm by myself (driving-wise) and will gladly help out if anyone needs a ride to wherever.
John K
Likewise, I'll be in the am pool and will gladly lend a car seat to anyone in the need. Should be fun. I've only played the 'bogue a few times and Chickasaw twice. All the others will be new courses for me.
vl
March 06, 2003 09:05AM
from the NWS for the Mobile area...

.FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. A GOOD CHANCE OF RAIN THROUGH THE MORNING. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 70S. EAST WINDS 5 TO 10 MPH. CHANCE OF RAIN 50 PERCENT.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...DECREASING CLOUDS. LOWS IN THE MID 50S.

.SATURDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS IN THE LOWER 70S.

.SUNDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS IN THE LOWER 50S. HIGHS IN THE MID 70S
tree in the fairway
March 06, 2003 09:59AM
Hobbit is the longest monster but not as much wasted space as Highland. It's extremely long and you've got to be accurate along the ditches or have your local retriever handy.
March 06, 2003 10:12AM
so if there's only one pool (which i doubt) will the ams play Hobbit?
John Kittrell
March 06, 2003 10:38AM
Mike
When I talked to Joe he said even if the numbers only support one pool for the second round the ams will play chickasaw and the pros will play hobbit. If there's one pool everyone will play the 1st, 3rd, and 4th round together. Joe was worried about the weather keeping people away, but it doesn't look that bad. Look forward to seeing you this weekend since you were a no show at highland. (I could've used that extra SN point) Later...
John K
March 06, 2003 10:54AM
oh that's rich mr. kittrell! care to bring back our friendly wagers on your home courses? is rusty coming too, between the 2 of you i should be able to cover my entry fees. anyone else? i'm crippled and haven't played in 4 weeks, could be your last chance to take some louisiana side cash for a while.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013