Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Mardi Gras Madness

Posted by Shane Seal 
Mardi Gras Madness
February 23, 2003 08:07PM
Kudos to Mike for a well run tournament. Mike keep up the good work. I would like to see you get some help so that you could play though. I had a good time and it was nice to play a tournament again after a five-year hiatus. Congrats to Rivers in the pro division. I think that overall Mississippi fared well.

Josh Bradley - First Place Novice (Has played DG like 9 times)
Jonas Lefort - Second Place Amateur
Tony Bass - First Place Advance (Would have cashed Pro)
Shane Seal - Second Place Pro

Mike thanks again for a great tournament despite nasty weather and thank you also to everyone who helped. I hope to see everyone in Poplarville on March 29 for the first annual Windy Hills Open.

Shane
Re: Mardi Gras Madness
February 24, 2003 03:08PM
you call that nasty weather? how is it that it has rained so much every friday before the Mudness for the past 3 years? must be that bad karma i got from banning all those people.

anyway, i would like to thank everyone who helped out, i don't have time to type all of y'all in but i will try to do that later. looks like will timmons will be taking over t.d. responsibilities for next year so i can finally win some big cash on my home course. of course since sky south is taking over the payout will be a lot smaller though...
Tony Bass
February 24, 2003 05:33PM
What's up with that??
February 24, 2003 06:36PM
what's up with what tony? you didn't specify so i will be a smart ass and answer any possible questions you could have had.

what's up with the weather? beats me, 4 out of 4 years it has rained at least 2 inches on either friday or saturday of the tournament weekend. this year was definitely the worst rain i think, if you saw the course on friday you would not even believe we held a tournament saturday. pat L. from lafayette saw the course and drove home. holes 5,17,10,3,18,9 were under at least a foot of standing water!

what's up with banning people from the course? well, i am a renowned hot-head and i get extremely frustrated by not being able to play at my own tournament, so basically anyone who gives me too much crap gets banned from Rivendell because i think i deserve a smidgeon of respect for donating weeks of my practice time to make the Madness a great time. by the way, if anyone sees b.p. tell him he is un-banned. i appreciate his work on the Hobbit course in Mobile and so i am over what happenned at the 2000 Madness finally. yes i do carry a grudge for a while, but if you had busted your ass for years building a course with no help from a parks department you would understand.

what's up with not typing in everyone who helped? i was at work before and didn't have the time so i will type now.
thank you to :

Pat Fisher!!! hooked us up with $250, 500 Hooters Wings, cups, and brought us the Vodka and BEER sponsors!!! MUCHAS GRACIAS SENOR !and the water sponsored by Pepsi!
Eddie Roser: cooked, cleaned up trash, got us sponsorship from Lacassagne's(food), and Eddie's After Hours!
Kacy Taranto: young hottie who passed out T-shirts and picked up the wings from Hooters! and lets me play disc golf on the weekends! thanks!
Sammy Brooks: cooked jambalaya & veggies & brisket instead of playing in the tournament! welcome back to chef Sam(i ran him off a couple years ago because I'm a big butthead)
Brett Wright: hooked us up with $100 from Sylvester's and t-shirts from Budweiser.
Rob Williams: donated $100 from Sulzer&Williams LLC.
Tammy Roser: cooked all the desserts! and got us sponsored by Crystal Hot Sauce
Victor Leblanc: created the web page and did the PDGA electronic report
Mike and LaVern Taylor: donated CTP's and helped out whenever asked!
Troy Hoffpauir: hook-up from Lacassagne's food distributor who gave us 100 lbs. of briscuit, 144 chicken breasts, 30 lbs. of sausage, 2 boxes of corn!
Mark the Shark Laborde and Chris Adams: repaired benches all over!
Jeffrey "Blessed Lettuce" St.Romain: artwork and flyers!! nice job i'm glad you took most of the skins!
Todd Traylor and Errin Lewis : brought scoreboard and basket! way to cash y'all!
Bob Satter: donated $25 CTP
Will Timmons: donated CTP brought basket, volunteered to t.d. 2004
Glenn "3-card" Monte: weed-eatered the temp holes
Chris Upham: got a free entry by helping me dig ditches for hours on Friday
Jim Orum: for letting us promote on his website even though we didn't do a southern national qualifier.
Jack Rockwell: fixed the water and bathtub for the campers and let us trash the farm as usual...
Phil Tracy: brought a basket and helped at the awards
David Dean and Philip Wells: brought baskets
if i forgot anyone, thank you for what you did!!!!!

what's up with will taking over as t.d.? if you ran this tournament you would want someone else to do it Tony.

what's up with the payout being smaller at sky south events? sponsorship has a lot to do with it. it's a pain in the butt begging for stuff for tournaments. i ain't @#$%& about sky south payouts, just noting that the Madness always pays the Open players more than 100% of their entry fees. I only run 2 or 3 tournaments a year however and sky south runs about 10 times that so I understand. of course it would have been nice to play for some extra cash for being in the top 5 pros in S.N. points last year, that also was part of the reason i didn't sanction as an SNQ this year in case anyone was wondering.

hope i answered your question Tony.
Tony Bass
February 24, 2003 08:19PM
Well that about covers it, Mike. I just meant what was up with the payout being smaller? I didn't know if you meant that because Sky South was hosting it, it would not be a p.d.g.a. event, and the payout would be the normal 1 out of 3, or what. But all the other info was interesting. Thanks again for all the hard work you put into the course and the tournament. It was simply awesome!!! I sat there and watched the prizes that went out to all the amateur divisions and was amazed at how many bags, hot stamped discs (pro line too, SWEEEEEET) shirts, and most of all BASKETS you gave out. For all of those who missed it, 1st place in every amateur division (I beleive) took home a skill shot basket. Except advance who took home a discatcher. (wow) I have not seen such a good payout ever!! We all had a great time and can't wait till next year! Pro's look out! Mike and everyone who helped make it such a great weekend, thanks again!

TB
February 24, 2003 09:03PM
"Pro's look out!"? Does that mean you are now playing pro or are you going to wait until after AM worlds? Get used to the sandbagger cries if you do. I think most people love to have someone to heckle. Heh I remember being in a tie in the novice division at my first tourney ever and winning by a disc flip. Sure enough here came the bagger claims. I guess you have to do what you think is right, but I would think that it would be tough to play adv after winning the basket so handily. Of course one option is just play SN events and skip the PDGA events. I would make one exception to that, you might want to go play WACO. Also go ahead and get on the waiting list for AM world's just in case you don't get an invite. Personally I think that AM world's is a waste of your time, and you could compete in Pro World's. Don't listen to all that nonsense about Discgolf Resume. What the hell is that all about? Well anyway good luck.

Shane
jim
February 25, 2003 06:46AM
on the extra cash for finishing in the top 5 was when they were held in mobile by sky south , now that they will move from city to city it will be up to the city hosting . memphis was trying to get a large payout and so was i . they put all the money in the pay out . so each division still received the money. when we form the board maybe we can set a goal for the top 5-10 . those players should get something extra. last year was bad as far as points not turn in and players using wrong names . john has taken control of it and this year i will give out disc again. i wish mike would of told me of his problem i would of explain it to him . we will form a board soon to make all these decisions, sometimes iam a hero and the next one iam a goat.i know how mike feels as a td , everyone one wants to help after a event. try helping before . not playing in your own events is a killer, unless its raining. i would love to play at hattiesburg just once. but when you td or it is your income you must due your duty.i hope everyone understands these things and go forward. please stick by the sn it is not jim it is the south and will still be going on when iam gone. every city needs to do there part and things will not always go as you want. put the fun factor first , now go ace one for me, jim yes i know i can not type or spell
February 25, 2003 06:52AM
Oh me of little faith!!!!! Mike I could not believed you got a tournement off after what I saw friday afternoon. I'm, still in shock. I told Clyde H. to be prepaired for a muddy cource, and I was in shock! I can only emagin all of the hard work and effort you guy's must of put in.I can still kick myself in the a>> for not sticking around. please forgive the weak and doughtful.we were so looking forward to playing the course it would have been Clyde's first. you guy's always put on a first class tourney.
February 25, 2003 02:40PM
jim, i'm not mad about the top 5 pro's from last year not playing for anything in memphis, but it just made me think, what is the big deal about SN points then? just didn't seem to matter to me how many points anyone has, and since i actually like the PDGA i decided to sanction with them only because i can't really afford to pay both PDGA and SN. you know i appreciate all you do for disc golf, except for promoting all the PDGA bashing around these forums. if the weather had been nice we would have easily had 100+ people, and if it was a SNQ on top of that it probably would have been close to 120,130,140? i was trying to avoid 6-somes on holes and all the backups that ensue because of that. that is also why the entry fees were a little higher this year, to keep out the cheap whiners who think they should get the world for $20. so don't take it personally jim, i am not boycotting the SN, it was strictly a personal preference of mine.
February 25, 2003 02:57PM
as for PDGA sanctioning next year, since will T is t.d. i'm sure it won't be a PDGA event. as much as i like the PDGA i have to admit that SN is more popular around here anyway, and as a business decision if you want a larger field, you go SN. also since i won't be t.d. the payout won't be as good, simply because i don't mind donating my own money to the Madness.
and this year's payout was huge because i made the mistake of losing the piece of paper with the payouts on it right before the awards! so i winged it and got a little too generous, but fortunately this year i had saved a lot of money elsewhere and i didn't lose my shirt.
Of course, i haven't got my bill from INNOVA yet so maybe i did lose a lot of money, but what the heck. Oh yeah, i forgot to thank INNOVA for sponsoring us before, so thank you INNOVA! they're on the t-shirts anyway so i hope they like the advertising on those shirts.
man this is great being back at my old job where i can surf the web all day long. tony, bring me back my discatcher so i can practice putting here instead of typing!
February 25, 2003 03:03PM
Exactly which forums is Jim promoting PDGA bashing on. This one? Maybe I missed those posts. I never saw he or anyone else bash you for promoting a PDGA event on the SNDG board, like the PDGA folks do anytime someone mentions SNDG. FYI, I don't have a problem with you spreading the news here, so don't get offended.
There are still some people in the south who are PDGA members. I'm one and recently renewed my membership. RwC
February 25, 2003 03:41PM
The PDGA is doing some good things for the sport, perhaps they have lost site of the "little guy" just a bit, making some rules that are a little hard to swallow, but all things told. . . they are the big kid on the block and will always be criticized by many. . . even if they could walk on water.

One thing is for certian. . Disc Golf sure would not be the same without them!

DG Guy
February 25, 2003 03:47PM
My thoughts exactly...those of us who bash the PDGA do so for these types of effortless responses. Jim O. has done nothing but good for this sport...when the PDGA saw fit not to promote in our region, he basically stepped up and created the the SNDG for the PLAYERS in this region...get that, the PLAYERS!!!! Something PDGA really ought to think about. Just because one is the biggest a$$ on the block, certainly does not make one the BEST or the Brightest for that matter.

I apologize in advance for those I might offend, but hey...opinions are to be shared. However, to suggest Jim has encouraged, promoted or even been involved in bashing the PDGA is ludicrous.

underparmike, I've always respected your opinions and your service to the sport...but I can't support ya on this one....Griff
February 25, 2003 10:08PM
Yo undrepar mikeymike,
The PDGA willlive and survive at the madness, and you may be suprised that I am in the process of wanting to get some of the BR tournys PDGA sanctioned. So please don't bash what you ASSume.

Most of the "bashing" that you must be refering to was when I was wondering if the SNDGC should be PDGA or not, to help RAISE the payout, but together I think we can turn La into a really great place for disc golfers of all affiliations.

Love ya bro'
Willy BT
February 25, 2003 11:23PM
Jim Orum
Division: M Pro
PDGA #: 4733
PDGA Status: current
Player Rating: 895

Follow the leader.
It's all good.
February 26, 2003 11:54AM
glad to hear it will !

i don't mind people disagreeing with me, i am obviously not above throwing in a few comments to stir things up. however, if you read all the forums around here you will definitely find more than a few posts saying the PDGA is only out to put money in their own pockets, or they're ruining the sport, or they're a rip-off, or the funniest one of all, that they ignore the south. for those of you who still don't understand this concept, let me try to explain:
THE PDGA IS TOTALLY DEPENDENT ON LOCAL CLUBS TO RUN PDGA TOURNAMENTS! THE PDGA DOES NOT DECIDE WHERE TO RUN PDGA EVENTS, SOMEONE HAS TO VOLUNTEER TO RUN A PDGA EVENT!

the PDGA is not ignoring the south. 2002 Pro Worlds was run in TEXAS, and the 2002 Am Worlds was in FLORIDA, both former confederate states(THAT'S SOUTHERN MY BOYS WHO CAN'T FIGURE THAT OUT). the PDGA actually ASKED MOBILE ALABAMA TO VOLUNTEER TO RUN THE 2002 PRO WORLDS!

once again, thank you WILL for acknowledging the value of the PDGA.
The Zinger
February 26, 2003 12:03PM
Well why should we have to pay the Pdga if we have to run our own tournament? Maybe the Pdga should pay the Td's fun running tournaments for them.
February 26, 2003 12:17PM
Yo Mikeymike,
I also agree that there are people who like to voice their displeasure with the PDGA on our forums, but it also happens on their own forum as well. It is a free country I guess and that means people can write what they feel, but I still feel that together, the PDGA and the SN, that we can make Disc Golf the biggest thing going.

I also haven't told you what a great job you did at the MMM. The food, atmosphere, everything was great. I hope you didn't get too many whinners.

Rap with you soon,
Willy BT
PDGA# 10542
SN# 24
February 26, 2003 12:49PM
Point taken as to PDGA sanctioning. Griff
tree in the fairway
February 26, 2003 01:51PM
I'll be sure to pass that along to B.P.

He sure had lots to say about being banned this weekend. I thought he'd never shut up about it
bobsatter
February 26, 2003 02:17PM
great job on the event!! Come to the Tax tourney it will be both sn and pdga. One comment I would like to add is it cost alot of money to host any tourney. So with that said I welcome anyone that would like to sponsor the tax tourney every little bit helps and, as Mike said no one likes to beg so give from your heart. As Jonny Roberts once said with a big hug he who has the most fun wins!!!! Live by these words he was a great man as is Jim and anyone who gives up there personal time for anothers pleasure!! Thanks to all B ham Bob Sn#10 Ps Jimbo or will can one of you email me @ bobsatter@charter.net
February 26, 2003 03:16PM
not much whining this year...and i think i got more help this year than ever before. will you should definitely let Hooters be the title sponsor again next year, for one thing Fish helped us out the most, and also hooters and mardi gras go together so well.

zinger, you have to pay sky south if you run a SNQ. yes, it does cost more to run a PDGA event, but you also get your tournament listed in Disc Golf World News which goes out to 5,000 of the most dedicated disc golfers in the world, they rate your courses and your players so you can see how they stack up against the rest of the world, in addition to letting your players earn points towards the Pro & Am worlds. what did the PDGA ever do to you i wonder? have you been brainwashed by vic? :)
February 26, 2003 03:49PM
@#$%& that's cold Bro'.
jim
February 26, 2003 05:03PM
well the forum is really hot, i will talk with will t. but i would like to keep the n.o. tournament pdga and s.n. unlike players may think i hope the pdga and any other group that is trying to bring this game to someone new all the best. the main reason i like s.n. over the pdga tournament is all our funds are given back in the s.n.c. in both am and pro. all money sent to the pdga is spent as they please . so with that said i perfer to give it to our s.n.players. also most players can not take 10 days off to go to the worlds including me. so it make more sense to promote this area and grow with the southern players . some will move on like worm and lesli and a few others . so without the s.n. tour these players would not be on tour. the # are so few that can go to pro or am worlds that it make no sense to run very many pdga events. we do need to run a couple so the s.n. players that want to go can. if the interest builds in the pro and am worlds we would do more events. my pdga # is 4733 and i renew each year sincei join in 88 iam also a certified official with the pdga. as for me i do not care to play in the worlds again due to the cost and the time off to go. after last year am worlds i would not want to go to another , but matt is young and he might want to go, if so i would try to take him.the last thing i will not cut anyone down on the forum until i told that person to his face. i think everyone should think about what you say on here. as for the money that went to the top ten it came from sponsor money i collected so it would not come from the $2 fee collected from each tournament , but i do think maybe we should do it at all s.n.c. in the future and i will ask the td to think about it . players or clubs might ask that there extra donation are use for it. i also have ask several times if players give ideals about what we can do for the top 10 players with hardley any feedback. the top1/3 of the players should be honored for all the events they go to. please speak up it is your tour the s.n. pro am tour , lets make it a proud tour. now go ace one for me. thanks jim
bobsatter
February 26, 2003 07:01PM
Jimbo email me so we can talk about the tax tourney bobsatter@charter.net
February 27, 2003 03:14PM
jim, thank you for your post. it makes a lot of sense. also, i want to make sure you know that i don't have an attitude towards you or the southern nationals...but when you ask for input i will definitely give you honest opinions and sometimes they might come across as negative, and sometimes when i brag about how good my tournament is you might feel slighted, but once again let me say that it's nothing personal. you put this forum section here for a couple reasons, one of which being to improve how the southern nationals are run, and if people don't speak up about things that aren't 100% wonderful then they might not ever get to be perfect. remember i have posted before that you deserve plenty of respect for all you have done for disc golf, as a t.d. i am one of the few people who really can appreciate how hard you work for disc golfers. just remember your t.d.'s out there would like a little kind word every now and then as well. the 1998 Mardi Gras Madness was one of the very first SNQ's ever, new orleans has always supported you and although we aren't growing that much around here for whatever reasons, a little encouragement from you would go a long way. live long and prosper, now go and write a '1' on my scorecard for me...
bobsatter
February 27, 2003 04:43PM
well said I think you all Rock!!! BOB
jim
March 01, 2003 01:29PM
mike as soon as i see you i will give you a big hug. i really thought i told you nearly every time i see you how much i think you have done. anytime i talk to a td i thank them . without them we would not get very far. i hope every city get involve with the s.n. and keep it as the #1 tour. i hope everyone keeps putting their thoughts on here , i learn alot by reading the forum.not too long ago you only had to check it once a mont. but the big thing is the spreading of info and teaching new players what has gone on and how far we have come.mike you have been a big part of that.every time a s.n. players cashes in at one of the big tournaments it makes me very proud to be a s.n.tour member. now go ace one for me , jim
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013