Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Mississippi State Doubles

Posted by Shane Seal 
Mississippi State Doubles
February 26, 2003 05:40PM
How is the Mississippi State Doubles championship location decided? I would like very much to have an opportunity to host it at the WildCat Trace in Poplarville. I know that my opinion is somewhat biased. I believe that everyone will feel the same as I do after our tournament on March 29. Just let me know what I have to do to get a bid for the doubles tournament.

Shane
Re: Mississippi State Doubles
February 26, 2003 09:09PM
Shane,
The Ms State Doubles began at Cossar State Park. Wall Doxey just filled in while our sister park could get her course back from the lake. This tourney began there as one of their three Southern Nationals. I am sure that if you spoke with Cossar that Jim could make the arrangementsfor 2005. Right now as it stands the 2004 State Doubles will be at Cossar State Park. They have already started making plans for cabins during the event and not to mention some of their sponsors have already committed with this knowledge. What my suggestion is to set up a date for a doubles Southern National Qualifier. Wall Doxey is making plans for one next year since we will not have the doubles championship in 2004. If you look at it there are no Doubles Qualifier to legitmately have a championship. Also most players don't realize that you can catch up on points fast if don't play alot of tourneys.
February 26, 2003 11:16PM
I beg to differ. The Mississippi State Doubles Championships were originally held at Paul B. Johnson State Park on Sunday after the regular Mississippi States. This was back when States was a one-day event, and the Doubles followed as a one-day event the next day. I have the Adv. plaque to prove it.
February 28, 2003 11:36AM
I guess that I am a little confused about the doubles originating at Cossar. I have two plaques on my wall from 97 and 98 stating that I won the event in Hattiesburg. Ok, somebody needs to lay off the crack and I don't think it is me ;)

Shane
Jonas
February 28, 2003 12:55PM
Come on man, you know you like to hit the ocassional crack pipe from time to time.
February 28, 2003 09:14PM
Yeah, but unlike his liquor, Shane can handle his crack.
Anonymous
February 28, 2003 09:37PM
Say what you like about where it began, Cossar has done a quality job while they've had it, and turnout has been better than when it was just the leftovers from singles as Paul B. If Cossar has been planning for it for 2004, tough tittie said the kittie.
February 28, 2003 10:15PM
Nobody was saying they haven't, smartass, we just want a chance to host it as well. I remember a few years ago it was held at Gautier, so North Mississippi doesn't exactly have the market cornered. I think that once everyone has played Poplarville it will be obvious that this course will be great for a big doubles tournament. Especially if we get a course in down the road in Picayune, when there will be two quality courses to play, instead of one pitch-and-putt. And I swear, I hope you are a little girl using phrases like "tough tittie said the kittie," otherwise I am inlclined to break your fingers.
February 28, 2003 11:48PM
@#$%&, I have been around Mike K. too long. I am getting to be a bit of a hothead. Pretty soon I will trying to ban people from courses and stuff :P
Shane And Crow,
Forgive me about the location of where the doubles orginated. I only place information that is delegated to me from my superiors. As I explained early, Cossar to my knowledge with Jim's Approval will host the 2004 Doubles Champ. What you want to do is contact Cossar And Jim about the 2005 State Doubles Championship. So you know how many people to expect to make arrangements and accomendations for. Last year with only a weeks notice, we hosted around 42 teams. We hope to see you and your partners at our event this year.
Valkyrie180g
Anonymous
March 01, 2003 11:55AM
Crow -

Thanks for showing your true self on the web for everyone to see. Way to go!

Consider this: You and Shane are not the only people to put a quality course together, and not everyone comes to the web to rant and rave like you guys about their course and their plaques. I'm not arguing about whether your course is good or not. In fact, I'm sure it is. I'm just saying that if you want to get the championships to your course, you're going about it the wrong way.

And, by the way, it's really cool making threats on the web. Do you think that attitude will get the tournament to Poplarville?

John Hendon
March 01, 2003 01:28PM
Well hey, I figure making an unrealistic threat towards an anonymous goober is harmless enough. As for my true self, I always leave him at home with my wife. I admit I overreacted, but since I have to work with people with childish IQ's every day (tough tittie said the kittie) it bothers me to run into them in the disc golf world. I hereby apologize to everyone about my hotheadedness. Except those who wish to remain Anonymous.
jim
March 01, 2003 01:42PM
everyone can have a big tournament if they stick with a certain date and go get sponsors. the mississippi states was started at cossar and will go back to it. later they might want to move it around. cossar is a great doubles place to go. the park has all the extra to take care of a large crowd. i bet when cossar has the double again it will set a doubles record. shepard state park had the first one when billy nelson held one , they had about 35 teams . they did not do one the next year so when i saw cossar i knew it would be a great place for doubles for am and pros alike.get a good name and hold a few tournaments , treat players right and anyone can host a great event. the howler in mobile had less than 20 players at the first one . now it has 160 plus. so be proud and start a new event that you have built up. your course can be a great tournament coures one day with a lot of work. will you and your local players be up for it . the future will tell. now go ace one for me ,jim
March 01, 2003 01:50PM
This is true. I originally just wanted to call it the Mississippi Open Doubles Championships (copying a play from Toad's Louisianan Open book), but short-round up there in P'ville really wanted to have the states. I think that Poplarville will probably be suited more for the Pros for doubles than the Ams, with a few less birdy opportunitiesfor those who can't throw much over 300'.
BTW, I aced several for you today, Jim, on my home course. Unfortunately, that's the basket in my back yard, since the closest course is 25 miles away, so my longest "ace" was about 50 feet. (SIGH)
Oh, and I am nominating Jim for the Nobel Prize for Disc Golf. I think we can get it awared posthumously in the year 2050 or so, when this thing really catches on.
March 01, 2003 02:48PM
WTF! I can't believe that you guys are getting all bent out of shape on this!
1) I merely asked what it would take to get a chance to host the doubles championship
2) I corrected a falsehood that was put forth that it all started in Cossar.
3) I could easily house 300-400 people at an event over the summer. Oh yeah and feed them as well with the resources of the campus.

Having said that however, I am very reluctant to do so however because of the very real possibilty of substance abuse. I am not sure that all the players in attendance would put the tournament before the desire to use illegal substances. Enough on that subject, before I offend to many ;). I honestly think for tournaments to truly be state championships (doubles or singles) they should rotate between sites. There are plenty of examples to bear this out. The one exception that seems to be successful is the USDGC. I don't want to offend anyone, but I will also express my opinion honestly. Please read my post completely before making accusations.

Shane
March 01, 2003 03:00PM
So what you are saying is you hate women? Because I can clearly infer that from your post.
The Zinger
March 01, 2003 06:31PM
"Consider this: You and Shane are not the only people to put a quality course together, and not everyone comes to the web to rant and rave like you guys about their course and their plaques. I'm not arguing about whether your course is good or not. In fact, I'm sure it is. I'm just saying that if you want to get the championships to your course, you're going about it the wrong way. "

This has nothing to do with the topic on hand. Nobody ever said that they are the only people to put a quality course together. Nobody ever even mentioned the word "PLAQUES". This comment came from outerspace. It just don't make sense.

Shane was just asking how he could get the doubles to his course. Valkyrie180g mentioned that the doubles tournament started at Cossar. Crow and Shane told Valkyrie180g that he was wrong about this.(look for yourself, nobody was rude yet). Then Anonymous came on and totally started his own subject: "Say what you like about where it began, Cossar has done a quality job while they've had it, and turnout has been better than when it was just the leftovers from singles as Paul B. If Cossar has been planning for it for 2004, tough tittie said the kittie." Whatever!! Crow reacts by basically telling this Anonymous that he is putting words in his mouth. Valkyrie180g comes back and politely says his bad for the starting city, and gives his advice on how to get it to Poplarville. Then John Hendon comes from nowhere and makes up a bunch of crap.

Do we see where the problem is?
March 01, 2003 06:59PM
@#$%& it, I was promised that the Mississippi State Doubles was going to be held in Memphis this year. Now what am I going to do with all of these....

" I played Mississppi State Doubles in Memphis and only got this lousy T-Shirt" ....shirts???

Oh and I am pressing hard for the Kansas State Doubles so everyone cross your fingers.

Brad
The Zinger
March 02, 2003 08:56AM
:)

Good luck Brad. We are trying to get the Japan Doubles.
March 07, 2003 09:18PM
Whoot! Just landed the Brazilian Mixed doubles championship. Due to conflicting interest, will be unable to host Mississippi Doubles this year. Sorry! More information to come!

Shane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 25
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013