Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Disc Brands

Posted by SmackDaddy 
Disc Brands
March 16, 2003 09:07AM
I had posted this on another thread, but thought it should be a seperate thread unto itself. Hope everyone is enjoying the LA doubles!

The only problem that I have with innova is they discontinue or change molds or plastic way too often. Just about the time I get used to it, wham let's change! Case in point, Ram (discontinued then brought back with changed mold), CE Firebird (change plastic and mold), Roc (how many times has this mold changed? Not that the new molds are inferior, just different.) I really like the T-Bird, but I am sure it will not be the same 3 years from now.(Already undergoing some changes from the candy to pro line plastic.)

Shane
Re: Disc Brands
March 16, 2003 03:51PM
I agree proline isnt the same and if they wanted to raise the price of CE plastic just do it. Dont change disc types like Tony Bass does underwear. Hope you guys kicked butt in BR this weekend
March 16, 2003 10:54PM
i have been an innova thrower from 1997 and there new stuff SUCKS. point blank.

i have a stash of 2nd run CE teebirds that are almost indestructable. to bad if innova could make the same disc more than once i would throw them the rest of my life.

also have a nice supply of old school jk valks which fly nothing like the new clear ones. the early run jk valk is closer to the first run CE version than any other run.

i am running low on CE firebirds. the last run has a letter F on the bottom, but is as stable as a FX. now prior to the FX, the FL and regular F were less stable versions. can you please make it more complicated?

Gateway has a mega sidearm disc known as the Speed Demon. all the way up to 178 grams this disc will blow any old Ram or Xtreame to peices. ive also been more CONSISTANT with the Wizrard soft putter. i gave up the big bead aviar after AM worlds (just to see what else might work) and when i let it, it does.

im taking my time but soon there wont be any innova plastic in my bag. the PRO line discs just dont glide for me like the true CE did. there are alot discs out there and after trying some new ones my game has improved.

see ya, Errin
March 17, 2003 07:15AM
The sport of Disc GOlf, unfortunately, falls prey to advances in technology. More demad for performance, more competition. . . the ONLY consistancy is change!

Once all this gets sorted out. . . then are are just too many choices, but I would rather have too many than not enough. The sport has always been about the relationship you develope with your plasitic, and I think it always will be. And as relationships go. .they are ever-changing. . and will remain so.

Kind of like your "favorite" disc that got lost, or damaged. . . you had to start a new "relationship" with another one and "learn", or perhaps "teach" it what you want it to do for you.

Know what you throw. . and throw what you know.

I have boxes full of the stuff I have either out grown or I was not ready for yet. . .every once in a while, I drag it out and give them a throw. . .re-establishing old relationships. .. some I just rediscover why I stopped throwing them.

Either way. . I would rather have more choices. . make life more interesting!

DG Guy
March 17, 2003 07:47AM
It's not about more choices. That is fine. It's when you lose that disc and try to "establish a new relationship" with another disc of the exact same type and you find that it doesn't fly anything like the old one. My first and only CE Firebird was an FL, imagine my surprise to learn that Firebirds were supposed to be OVERstable. And that was the farthest flying disc I ever threw - until the new Beast. And now you can't get one. Like Errin, I am slowly migrating toward Discraft. The only problem I have so far is that most of their stuff just doesn't fly as fast as Innova, so I can't get the same distance. I am just not a "glide" guy, I guess. Errin, any suggestions on some fast Discraft plastic? Anything that flies as fast as a Beast?
March 17, 2003 11:48AM
crow i haven't thrown the discraft wildcat, but it sure feels like a valkyrie to me. the z-talons fly far and are somewhat stable.
March 17, 2003 03:49PM
for me the wildcat is as fast as the ce valkyrie . it is just not quiet as long . the wildcat is way longer than the new jk vals are. For me the wildcat has been the most economical way to replace the ce valkyrie and still keep even close to the same distance.
March 17, 2003 05:22PM
@#$%& zack, thanks for that tip. now i have another way out of my distance problem!
March 17, 2003 08:32PM
da z wildcat is da longest
March 17, 2003 09:19PM
Come on guys, I'm going LIGHTNING!!!! I found an oldB-52 Stealth in JimO's stash, and it WILL be making its way into my bag soon. ( if I don't get big $ off of E-Bay with it) The BEST turnover gliding disc I've ever thrown. % at Greenwood -- The stratus has nothing on this thing!

As long as I have a good supply of old Onterio Roc's, I'm all good. The 11 time rocs are allright, and when I plop down $40 for the CE roc- then my midrange game is complete.

Now since I never worry about distance any way, Bring on this wildcat, if it's better than my T-Birds, I may have to switch.

Peace,
Willy BT
March 17, 2003 09:56PM
Just curious, Zack, how far do you throw? I am just trying to see how your arm compares to mine so I can relate what you say to how I throw.
The Zinger
March 17, 2003 10:09PM
As long as crow doesn't have a tree in front of him he can throw a country mile:)

just joking Crow. Nice game you brought with you at the La Doubles. See you at the Windy Hills.
March 17, 2003 11:57PM
Thanks Terry. I just need to build some endurance. Except for my all-adrenaline last shot on Sunday (not counting the putt) my shoulder felt like a rusty hinge for the entire 4th round.
vl
March 18, 2003 07:12AM
wow, you could still feel your shoulder?

my feet hurt so bad that it overshadowed my upper body aches.

however-- i would like to thank my sponsor, Advil.

old age is over rated.

:^p
March 18, 2003 07:46AM
amen to that vic. alive is also a great sponcer i use it after every round.
March 18, 2003 07:50AM
sorry it's "Aleve" don't want to upset the sponcer couldn't stand the pain. it's hard to type with this arthritis!!!!!!!!
March 18, 2003 09:42AM
crow, that zack guy can outhrow me. of course, will can outhrow me with a mini...
March 19, 2003 09:02AM
What would be better - releasing all discs flat and relying on what the disc is supposed to do or releasing discs with purposeful turnover or hyzer. I ask this question because someone mentioned to me that they think because I throw primarily one type of driver and one type of approach/putter that my game lacks. I only use one type of driver but use a new one for hyzer, a somewhat used one for straight shots, and an older one for turnover; I do this for both drivers and approach/putts. I feel that I have better control releasing all discs flat out of my hand then attmepting to make it do something. Of course I know all players are different and there are lots of players who carry three or four different drivers and release them at different angles. I would like to know other people's thougths on this. I might add that the person who thinks my game lacks has never beat me in tournament play so I don't really listen to his comments. It's not always about distance; accuracy is good.

dangerous don
March 19, 2003 09:13AM
dangerous i am in agreement with you. i could do just fine with a brand new valkyrie to go left, a beat up one to go right, and a slightly beat up one to go straight. i carry a banshee in my bag for high wind conditions or the rare superee-duperee (flanders imitation there) hyzer shot. if you can throw a putter 200-250 feet you might not need another approach disc. are you going to worlds in arizona this year? me and toad are looking for roomates for a cabin or house for the week in the mountains.
March 19, 2003 09:29AM
Mikey, Don can throw his putter about 280-290 ..... the bastard ..... ;-)
March 19, 2003 09:40AM
I can't make the World's this year; my long range plan for the world's will be when they bring it to Georgia in the next year or two. Arizona would be great, but I have been taking too much time off from work and am down to only 4 days in the vacation bank. I wish I could go though.
March 19, 2003 09:58AM
actually don, i think it's the am worlds that are going to georgia, and i hear that des moines iowa is in the lead for the 2004 pro worlds.
March 19, 2003 08:53PM
I guess releasing everything flat sounds good in concept, but if I throw hard, there aren't too many discs I can't turn over. The only discs in my bag that won't go right if I throw them hard and flat are my KC Eagle and my Viper. The concept of a Valk going left is foreign to me. So I guess it really depends on the thrower and how much snap they get as to whether to throw a disc with Hyzer, flat, etc. The ones that get the best sheer distance for me are the ones that I can start with Hyzer, flip in the air, and then come back left at the end. Like the Great and Powerful Beast.
March 19, 2003 09:06PM
crow do you think the beasts are a little more stable than the valks? i find them slightly more stable but i'm not confident of that opinion yet.
March 19, 2003 10:07PM
Yes indeed. Not enought to throw into a headwind, but enough so I can get it to go straight instead of right.
March 21, 2003 10:13AM
Crow, I normally throw about 325 to 350 on a calm day on flat ground probely no where as strong as your arm. Kenny Collums throws a wildcat some. He compares it to the ce val as well, just a few feet shorter. I will be more than happy to give up the few feet than to try to buy a new ce val via EBAY.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013