Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

What's the craziest Ace you have made/seen?

Posted by Fair 
I read the post above about aces, and thought that this would be a cool topic to talk about. Lets hear your stories about aces. How many?, How did they happen? what's the craziest ace you ever made or have seen?
I was at a tournament at Skyline Park in Dallas, I had just played my last hole of the 2nd round. One of the holes on the back 9 was a blind tee shot around some huge cedar trees. My bud Eliot Egbert and his group were teeing off on this hole. I stood by the basket and watched them drive. I saw Eliot's yellow phantom plus hyzer around the cedars, it flew by the basket missing the ace by 3 feet. I had a disc in my hand and as the disc flew by the basket I slammed the chains as hard as I could. The entire group screamed and ran around the cedar to see if it stayed. I'm still laughing about that, 14 years later.
Maybe it was Joe Matz’ ace through the front (the wires) of the basket on 15 in Monroe.

Jason Laughlin’s knock down from a tree limb on 1 at Holmes. Of course he also aced hole 2 twice on 2/2/02 in Vicksburg.

John Hendon’s finger pop skip ace on 9 at Holmes, but I have seen another skip ace at Bratton Green. He also had sky scraping anhyzer ace on 2 at the front in Jackson, the first ace I ever witnessed.

In the category of aces witnessed (heard) but not seen (except the throw and finding the disc in the basket) I did have an ace in the dark on 9 of the front in Jackson and a blind ace in Gautier on hole 10.

Every ace is amazing to me.
Sadly, I haven't made an ace...YET!! But this story is too great to not share. ( Griff, help me out on the names if you remember. I'd like to give credit to this one!! )

It happened on Hole #8 at the Florence Icebowl this year....the hole AFTER the "valley" shot. The group ahead of us stepped up to their teepad. The first guy throws...CHING! Hits an ace. Yells and cheers heard over the course. Not to be outdone by the first guy, the second guy steps up...CHING!! Back to back aces!! The excitement for that group was amazing!! Griff, I'm sure that was a tough one to follow!!

No ace for me yet, but I DID hit a number plate on Wednesday...there's hope for me yet!!!:)
Hole 7 at Gautier is an anhyzer shot, or you can throw a hammer (pancake, tomahawk, whatever dger's call it) over a hole up top. My first round, I hit the basket throwing the hammer with a Stingray. Second round, nailed the same shot for a 1. So now I have aced backhand, forehand, and overhand. Unfortunately, only one of each.
I've only had about seven aces total in 19 years. One was a practice basket we had at our nine-hole object course. It was a 10th hole of sorts.

Two were tournament aces, one at Griffin Park in Bowling Green, Ky., in the wind and the other was the best, an ace in the 1993 world championships. It was Hole #7 at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville, the one before the 800-foot monster hole. Finished lousy overall but that alone was worth it!

The rest were all in Florence and I can't even remember most of them.

RwC
My craziest ace was a forehand ace at Paul B. in a warm up round for the Ice Bowl this year. Threw my CE Spider straight as an arrow down the right side of narrow alley and tagged the tree behind the basket about 10-12 feet up the tree. It fell straight down into the basket. Witnessed by 3 others on the pad with me and about a half dozen people putting on number 8.

My craziest NEAR ace was a roller on hole number 1 at Lake Lowndes with an SE Valkyrie. It hit a root under the basket after rolling the length of the 293ft hole and made a serious splash in the chains. Unfortunately it fell off to the side about a foot from the basket.

I've had 4 aces, all forehand, 2 with CE Spiders, 1 with a KC Whippet (which I tripped and fell of the tee pad as I threw it), and 1 with a KC Banshee.

Jeff
my first ace was #3 at Highland in BR, I threw only finger pop / side arm drives- right handed - and I decided to throw a roc backhanded - left handed - and aced it. It caused me to go to a back hand from then on out.

Aced #5 at Greenwood in Baker La in the dark.

two in one round; two in two days to win @$500 at Mobile Al tosses. Three in three days.

2000 - 15 aces; 2001 - 9 aces; 2002 1 ace; 2003 - none (yet)

I miss the mobile Pitch and putt courses! (I lived there in 2000 and 2001)

prob @ 50 for my life. but I need some now!! Green wood this weekend for $150!)

Later
Will T
looks like your numbers are taking a sudden drop, will

good luck this year

hardy
what about your partner, john fowler? LA Doubles playoff? like, last weekend?

my first 3 years of playing i had five aces (atlanta). past three years, zero (Louisiana). see a trend here anyone?

ive been robbed twice, hole nine at highland during wed. nite doubles, smashed chains and fell out. H-burg, hole 10 hit every chainlink, pole and bottom of the basket, only to fall out. it happened to be a throw-off for a basket. one of the last guys to throw (pat daniels) threw a sidearm turned cut roller that circled the entire island and fell inside my @#$%^*# disc for the win.

most interesting, and longest: friend of mine in ATL was showing me a warm up routine that ultimate players use. he wound run around me in a 30 ft circle throwing a disc back and forth. the idea was to throw it to his chest as soon as i caught it. looked kind of ridiculous.

anyhow i got on the 1rst teepad and backhanded a whippet 300ft for a solid ace.

funny thing is, i was throwing sidearm in the warm up!
sorry Will BT, just read the other ace thread.
Those were just my aces, and yes I do see a trend here, Baton Rouge is too hard!! So says the stump in the woods
I personally did not see this and since I have never seen Phil post here, I will share this...

On January 9, 2000, Philip Raymond of Memphis, TN ACED holes 11-210 ft., 13-258 ft., 15 -200 ft.in one round at Shelby Forest in Memphis. He also birdied 12 and 14, for a 5-hole total of seven strokes! Witnessed by Tambra Kleminsky, David Dunham, and Big Mike during an organized Sunday morning “league” round.

Ridiculous...
GRAYSON
Re: What's the craziest Ace you have made/seen?
March 23, 2003 08:03PM
18 at paul b.
John Kittrell
Re: What's the craziest Ace you have made/seen?
March 24, 2003 07:51AM
I can verify to of Will T's aces at Chickasabouge - we played a round after a tournament, he aced #6 and #10. That round cost me about $25, ouch!! (I paid for both those aces)

Wally Free acing #8 and the Blue Angel course in back to back rounds (yes it is a short hole but an ace is an ace) I paid for both of those aces too...

My best ace was the first tournament at West Monroe. I was the 3 of 60 to throw off for the ace pot, had @ 200 ft pancake ace off the ground for the moola.

The best ace I witnessed was Jimmy Cutler's ace during the final six at the Bud Hill tournament (halfway down 2's fairway to #4's basket). About 70 people saw that one. The crowd went wild....
John K
I'll add to Addie's post...those guys whose names remain in anonimity for me because I'm still in shock brought a true smile to my face. 1st ace came in from the left, not to be outdone by the bad ass Eagle in from the right....it hit the basket sooo hard (no chains mind you)...it tacoed and stuck in the bottome of the basket!! That basket is probably still wincing and reverberating to this very day!!!!

Satisfaction for me because (1) the hole was for a CTP donation I made
(2) I was playing miserably crappy and was in the process of a DFL--my ego has been shot ever since....

That being said, I'm not scared and I'm going for further lacerations this week in Florence....so if you beat me, don't get too excited!!

On another note, my personal most satisfying ace was Tishomingo hole #1 outta the car, step up and bang!! Nothing but net!! (mind you, this was the 1st throw in my return to Tish. post-Spyder ya' know)...Griff
Ok I didn't witness or perform this feat, but it's still crazy. From PDGA message board, Timmy Gill:

"#8 at Lone Lake(MN) I walk up on a group of golfers sitting at the picnic table behind the tee. I ask if I can play thru and they say yeah man show us how it's done. I throw a Magnet high and right, at around 100ft off the tee, it hits a duck in the air, which redirected the bad shot directly in the chains. The duck dipped a little but quickly regained his flight. The table of golfers jumped up and went crazy! Most of the golfers are tourney regulars and the story comes up quite often! Good Times!"
1. #11 Tombigbee SP - Backhand w/Shark- Years ago, before the moved the basket.
2. #18 Tombigbee SP - Backhand w/Valkyrie - Hit chains hard, went through, and spun around the basket several times.
3. #7 Lake Lowndes SP - Sidearm w/CE Eagle - My sweetest ace; haven't pared thw hole since.

I love hitting aces. Wish it would happen more often. My first was about five years ago. My last two were about a month apart earlier this year. However, my ace discs seem to have bad luck. I shattered the Shark on a tree. I sliced the Valkyrie on a broken basket. CE Eagle still in one picece, but it won't cooperate with me any more.
18 at cottege hill..It was so cool
I have to agree with John K. on Jimmy Cutler's ace at Bud Hill. It had to be at least 350 ft. with a huge gallery.
My coolest ace run was 3 aces within 4 mths.hole 7,13 at pbj'and hole 17 at mobile.
Ah yes, aces, hmmmm let me think about my craziest one.......Oh, I remember now!! It was the only f%#@g ace I've ever had since I started playing this @#$%& game. Oh and crazy it was! Number 11 at Shelby Forest back in 84. It bounced off of a tree and went in. If you would like to keep up with my progress, or should I say, lack there of, be sure check out my "suck-o-meter" on Memphisdiscgolf.com.
WELL PUT 'LIL NAPOLEAN, OR IS THAT 'LIL STREETWALKER (or 'lil "ho to those of us who know you)...Griff
KARIN VAN DUZEE ACE #19 AT WEST MONROE A COUPLE YEARS AGO AND JUST THE LOOK ON HER FACE WAS GREAT , PLUS SHE JUMP ON ME , DONT TELL JOEY , THEN THERE WAS MY ACE AT FLORENCE ON THE HOLE BY THE DAM , I WAS LOOKING FOR THE SPONSOR SIGN THAT WAS FOR ME AND IT WAS THAT HOLE , I TOLD EVERYONE I SHOULD ACE IT SINCE I SPONSORED IT. WHAM BANG I DID FOR $92.00, OH YA AND THE ACE AT TOMBIGBEE WHEN ON SATURDAY NIGHT THE BUD HILL BOYS TALK ME INTO STARTING A $5 ACE POT ON SUNDAY , IF YOU WROTE YOUR NAME ON THE LIST , YOU HAD TO PAY EVERYONE $5 THAT ACE . WELL ON HOLE #5 I WAS TIRE OF BANGING EARLY SO I THREW IT HIGH INTO THE TREES AND NEXT THING I KNEW WHAM BANG THANK YOU MAM. THE BEST PART WAS ALL 23 PLAYERS PAID UP. LAST BUT NOT LEAST MY BUD HILL ACE ON THE SECOND HOLE IN HIPPIE HOLLER , I THREW WEAK AND IT IT THE LIMB THAT YOU MUST THROW OVER TO ACE AND IT WOBBLE THRU THE AIR AND NOTHING BUT CHAINS. ACES ACES NOW GO ACE ONE FOR ME ,JIM
I saw Tarzan ace one time....wait...or was that Tonto?
I got my twentyfirst ace yesterday... its been twentythree months since my first one. I hit three in a week. hit one for$189 on a wed. mini, one on that sat. and again on the next wed. mini for $21.
Today, I was playing at Tombigbee with a big group of guys. In the last round, I threw a CE Teebird on hole 10. This is a 300 foot downhill hyzer shot for a righty where the basket is blind at the end. I threw my drive, and it was seemingly a good shot. No one heard anything or walked around the corner to see where it landed. Everyone else threw, and as we all walked down toward the basket we saw two little girls walking up a trail fairly close to the fairway. As we approached the halfway point of the hole, I jokingly said that it looks like my disc is in the chains. Everyone else agreed, and then we realized that it was dangling in the chains. Now noone heard anything, and we aren't sure if the girls were close enough or had enough time to grab my disc and throw it in the chains. Plus, they were only five or six years old at the most. After we all tried to figure out what happened, I went to look for the little girls and they were nowhere to be found. My friends wouldn't let it count, and I agreed, because noone saw it go in and with the disc going that fast downhill, it surely would have made enough noise that we could have heard it....unless it skipped and gently landed in the chains. That would explain how it never fell in the bottom of the basket and just hung in the chains. Ordinarily, it wouldn't be a problem, but the added factor of the little girls made it uncertain. Either way, it makes for a good story, and was one of the craziest aces (or not) that I have ever seen. I just really would like to know exactly what happended, because that hole would be such a sweet ace.
Fair,

Did you know that Dean aced in Florence last weekend and didn't know it either? Hole #8 long pin position. They all walked down to the basket and his disc was in there! We were the group before him and I guarantee we didn't put it in there! lol!
Now, I work with kids and my guess is if they saw a frisbee flying towards them or land near them I doubt they would set it IN the chains. Why wouldn't they throw it around a little... And they wouldn't have walked away so quickly if they had put it there. Gosh I analize don't I! lol...BUT I really think you got an ace on that one! That's a fun hole! Congrats!!

Addie
Although, you guys you have good stories and congrats but when its come to me I have to work at it. Finally I ace hole number three at Highland, BR I tell you when I did it went downhill from there, but just you know it felt @#$%& good.

Struggling Disc Golfer,
Wanda Cook
go wanda! that is a sweet ace. sidearm, backhand or behind your back?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013