Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The Windy Hills Open

Posted by Jonas 
Re: The Windy Hills Open
March 30, 2003 07:14AM
Thanks to everyone who showed up. And hey, If I had known about the weather, I wouldn't played either, and I was helping put the thing on. I was very encouraged though by the turnout. It gives us a great opportunity to do things in the future. I would also like to thank everyone who was so gracious in donating to the chapel fund. I know how tight money is right now and how a lot of folks have to pick and choose tournaments to goto anyway. Those folks who bought wildcats, number one the stamp is sweet, number two wait till you see how fast those things are. Well thanks again to everyone who came and I will be posting some more information when the pictures are in. Also stop by the webpage listed below and give any suggestions on things that we could have done better from the including the player's meeting, format, award ceremony etc.

[home.bellsouth.net]
March 30, 2003 07:45AM
I again would like to thank everyone who came to this lovely weathered tournament. I nearly cried after all the beautiful weather we've had the past two weeks. Oh well, I had a nice, wet time. Congrats to all my boys from LA who placed. I knew that you'll having previously played the course would give a little edge.
March 30, 2003 08:28AM
And on a different note, all you weenies from H'burg who are too broke to play a tournament only 30 minutes away, I have three words: 'Get a Job'! Word of the day, Boston, J-O-B, JOB! I will say that HCSV was not in full force. Not even half full force.
The Zinger
March 30, 2003 08:34AM
Shane, I thought having plaques for the first annual Windy Hills Open would have been great. But hey, I loved the discs I got with the stamp on them. Also, the t-shirt was my favorite thing since it was the only thing dry that I had for the ride back home. :o)

ps. What newspaper and what day is the pictures going to be in?
v
March 30, 2003 09:12AM
congrats to the folks who managed the event and those that attended-- and those who placed. wish i could've made it. sorry mother nature showed up in the fashion she did. man the weather channel blew it... but regardless of slop for weather-- hope everyone enjoyed the event and the new course. (i have heard good things about that course... good job shane, jonas and whomever else helped with the event and installing the course. keep up the excellent work!)
what a challenge! very harsh conditions. keeping dry in that kind of weather was half the game. id like to thank the wildcat staff for having all of us amphibian disc throwers over for a well run tournament.

id also like to thank my competitors for being unprepared and/or quiting.

SHANE - would you post who and where WE could send a thank you note. sorry im not a pdga cashing pro so i couldn't afford to donate my winnings to the church!
March 30, 2003 11:33AM
Thank You notes can be sent to:
Wellness Center
101 Hwy 11 North
Poplarville, MS 39470
March 30, 2003 03:26PM
Yeah I agree that plaques and some bags for the player packages would have been nice. I think that they were trying to maximize the money going into the chapel. This was also the first Discgolf tournament they had ever seen much less been involved with. All of the staff was blown away by the courtesy and generosity of all the golfers. I can guarantee that the next tourney will have better payout to all of the non pro divisions. I am already actively searching for a date and talking to sponsors. My goal is to have as close to 100% payout in all divisions as possible. To be able to reach that goal, we are going to have to seriously work on the local sponsorship. Hope to see everyone in Lafayette next weekend.

Shane
March 30, 2003 04:19PM
Hey Plastic People,

Cold is OK. Rain is OK. Wind is OK. Cold, windy rain is beautiful.
.....and so is the PowerPoint player's meeting. For those who are still thawing out, consider the facilities that were available to us at Pearl River C.C. Then imagine the same weather at Greenwood, Chickasabogue, or many of our other courses. We were extremely lucky to have such an oasis in the storm.
I would like to thank Shane and company for the most professionally run one day tourney I've ever seen. Many of the volunteers were non-players, and as we all know, non-players are sometimes skeptical of our efforts. Yet I think that when we came in from that miserable first round, they realized just how much the game means to us. I hope they become our newest players.
For those of you who missed out, you should go out of your way to play this course. It is absolutely prisitine, and the pro course has a few shots you don't play anywhere else locally. I predict that their next tournament will be packed and that I will play a little less like a physically challenged troglodyte.

Later,
German
March 30, 2003 08:48PM
wow i heard i bunch of wildcats meowing about the weather so i decided to take a break from downloading katie couric pictures and put my two cents in. :)

great job running the tournament y'all! sorry if i cussed in front of anyone important, i really did think someone had stolen my toasty socks...tell them i'm really a nice guy all the time and it must have been the weather, i mean i have never ever said anything bad about anyone before, i never even jokingly do that....hey what's that thunder i hear on a clear night? is lightning about to strike?

the o.b. slide show was better than most adam sandler movies i have seen, nice job. and fliz(german) my fellow english major said everything i was thinking much nicer than i ever could so let me just say "ditto" to what he said (hope you make it in the paper for your 6th place finish).

sorry hattiesburg, i have a new favorite mississippi course!
March 30, 2003 11:15PM
If the stats are right, only the West Monroe Turkey Shoot and the Hattiesburg Ice Bowl had bigger turnouts for one-day events. Not bad for a first tournament.
March 31, 2003 09:12AM
Jonas,
Check the other windy Hills Open category. You put on a great tounament. Congrats!
Tony Bass
March 31, 2003 10:45AM
Shane,

Sure hoped you enjoyed my $40 donation! There will not be another!

TB
March 31, 2003 06:11PM
TB,

Are you saying that you won't play at the Windy Hills again? I thought that you had an emergency or something come up. I looked at your scorecard and you were not doing that bad considering the conditions. What happened bro? As for there not being another donation, aren't you going to lafayette this weekend ;)

Shane
April 01, 2003 12:22PM
Jonas and Shane, thanks for everything, you guys did a wonderful job on it all. Jonas if you happen to go swimming soon I have a yellow ZXS in the lake on hole 12 and another yellow ZXS in the lake on 15. Both are near the edge and visible from land. If and when you get them post it somewhere on the forum. I thank ya'll for a great job and look forward to seeing you guys some Saturday morning at Windy Hills.

dangerous don
BOSTON
April 01, 2003 02:17PM
Jonas,
You are my main money maker who hasn't been on the corner lately. Being your pimp is my J O B, cuz you shake that cajun rump so well.
I just frosted your hair so go make my money, Beeeaaattccchh!!!!
April 02, 2003 10:14AM
I just wanted to add that you guys and gals are one exceptional group! You were so kind and courteous, even under very difficult conditions! I had a blast and learned so much about disc golf. I appreciate your patience. Jonas and Shane had their hands full, not only with organizing the tournament, but explaining every other detail to the staff! They really did a great job.
Thanks so much for playing our beautiful course, and for your kindnesses in donations for our Chapel campaign.
Peace,
Lindsay
April 02, 2003 05:00PM
Shane, I met you this last weekend on the course. Great course design!
I have been looking for discs similar to yours and have had some difficulty finding the ones i want. Think you could help me out with some info? I'd appreciate it. Also, any news on the hopes of bringing disc golf to Slidell?
Thanks ! Great course!
Rick Vanderliest
April 03, 2003 01:10PM
Ok...now that everyone has told everyone what a great job they did (and don't get me wrong, they did) I do have one complaint/suggestion for the next tourny. If you are going to move a basket between rounds ANOUNCE IT AT THE PLAYER'S MEETING! It didn't affect most groups, but ours being the lucky ones to start-off on the re-arranged "B" lost a stroke all the way around by throwing to where the basket was. Ok..that's it. Well that and try to order better weather next time! ; )
April 03, 2003 01:49PM
Sorry about that Judy. (Note to self: Remind players about temp holes at players meeting). By the way, I did order good weather, but it arrived a day late. Probably a Post Office problem. Got that Mikey?
April 03, 2003 09:43PM
I think that there was a sign for that tee, but it got blown away or something. And yes I should have announced it at the meeting as well. Next tournament there will be a players guide to the course, complete with the average scores per hole by division from the previous tournament.

Shane
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 12
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013