Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Vouchers as prizes

Posted by Addie 
Vouchers as prizes
April 01, 2003 12:19PM
There has been a discussion about using vouchers as prizes for Am divisions versus the TD just putting together a stack of discs for the winners. What are the pros and cons to this....
v
Re: Vouchers as prizes
April 01, 2003 12:27PM
vouchers for what? pizza & beer? :^p

seriously, the SN events already use "SkyBucks" which can be used with JimO or WillT to "purchase" discs... so in a way the SN events already use a voucher system for Ams...

that way they can pick the discs they want instead of being given a stack of discs that they may not want...
April 01, 2003 12:37PM
I think this is a good idea if you have a large inventory of the discs that people want. I have been to some tournaments that seemed as if it was a way for the TD to get rid of old or regular plastic discs. I dont know many poeple that love them, I sure dont. I think that the voucher is a good idea if you dont have to spend the money that day or if there is an online store that you can purchase from.
April 01, 2003 12:42PM
V,
hahahahaha...

I agree with you. The problem was that with vouchers there tends to be a "free for all" mad dash to the "prize table". How do you avoid that?

Players that AREN'T aggressive get stuck with Dx plastic. The more "experienced" players know what to look for and grab all the candy when the novice, juniors, and nonaggressive Ams. get stuck with 180g sharks and rhinos. *(Not bashing these discs...JUST an example!!)

My suggestion was to put a limit on the voucher as to how many candy plastics you get.*(Ex.-First place-Limit 3 candy, Second-Limit 2 candy, and so on...)

Another suggestion was to have the prize table divided into sections:

Novice/Juniors--- A variety of discs ranging in weights and manufacturers.
Am/Adv. Am.------ whatever you guys throw...i don't know...
Women------------ Light weights (150s and 160s) and some heavy stuff too.

I like the idea of the voucher for an online store. Do people mind waiting for their prizes?
v
April 01, 2003 12:50PM
whoohoo! a sense of humor! :)

there is more dx plastic in my bag than candy, for instance... but i understand your point-- addie, about candy availability.

i may be mistaken, but i am fairly sure JimO will accept SkyBucks thru the SkySouth.com web site so you could pick exactly what you might want there-- if you would prefer avoiding the mad dash you mention.

try telling all them young buck Am players to have some courtesy and get out the @#$%& way and let a lady get her candy discs. :)

good point, btw... it is kind of a mad dash after events.
April 01, 2003 12:55PM
V,

Thank you, on behalf of all the ladies!!:0)

I play Pro so there's no mad dash for me except the last hole of the final round!!

We have a tournament coming up in May and just wanted opinions on how to "calm the storm" of people!

If everyone would just stop sandbaggin' and move up to Pro then we wouldn't have a problem. CASH IS EASY!!! lol

Thanks for the input!
v
April 01, 2003 12:58PM
doh! my bad... i did not realize you were in the Rockin Robin League.

dg needs more female competitors!! period!
April 01, 2003 01:06PM
Yeah v I agree about Skybucks being a great thing, but I have only seen those at the tournaments that either JimO or WillBT have been to, which of late hasn't been anything here in the North. Not to knock them, I don't go to many tournaments there in the South so I cannot complain but most of the TD's up north will try a voucher system for discs that are there that day and you must claim that day or you lose out. With JimO's health we can't expect him up North and Will is just one man who, as it turns out, is usually running a tournament in the South at the same time that we are running one somewhere up North here. We need a SkySouth North, hmmm, anyone volunteering?

Jeff
April 01, 2003 01:06PM
AMEN!!!

I'm trying my best, but there are some lazy women out there.

(hope that is taken in good spirit!)
DC
April 02, 2003 06:20PM
As an advanced golfer who usually likes to finish about 4th, I tend to have to participate in the mad dash to the prize table. It's like hyenas at the kill, people with plastic dripping from their mouths, barking and snapping at each other--it's ugly. People lie too, telling amateurs that those Proline Valks are super-overstable and so hard to throw--then snatching them up as the unknowing AM puts it back.

I don't know the solution, but there HAS to be a better way.

dc
Jeff,
We at Wall Doxey would love to be a Sky South North.

Addie,
Have you thought about calling Jim and asking for Sky Bucks as a majority of your tourney pay out and introducing the people to a new way of developing a relationship with Sky South And the SNDG. Then you would make sure everyone had a particular type of disc Candy, KC, JK, etc.... To go home with, and then order what they want from SkySouth. We at Wall Doxey have done Doxey Bucks with An Expiration Date for our disc. The Exp Date ended the day of the following SNDG event which is about every 3 to 4 Months. This is a little more difficult and few more rules had to apply, but most people got what they wanted. Hope to see you again at Wall Doxey April 26 & 27, 2003.
April 03, 2003 01:27PM
WALL DOXEY CREW,

Thanks for the input. I guess I'm just concerned with the "instant gratification" of taking the prizes home at the end of the tournament. I LOVE the skybucks route, but like mentioned earlier, we don't have a representative up this way. But that may not matter. I'll talk with Jim...or if you're reading this, Jim please let me know just how easy is it for us up north to get skybucks? Is it just a matter of "ordering" some or does a Skysouth rep need to be at our tournament? Matt Ambrose is really the one that's working on all this...I was just curious for FUTURE tournaments!! Thanks!!

BY THE WAY...
Did y'all plant more trees at W Doxey?!!! For such a short course I sure did make it hard!! lol. I really enjoyed the new holes on the back!!! Park looked beautiful!! (As it always does!!)
Addie,
No new trees have been planted, but this past weekend our club had a work day. They concreted the women and juniors tees, and A & B holes. It felt funny throwing off them the other day. Don't forget about the home made basket for the Pro Womens division winner. We think we have few more surprises in store also for everyone.
Benny
April 03, 2003 02:16PM
Oh no Benny! The last time you talked about suprises you had a complete quagmire on your hands come tournament time. I'd STRONGLY suggest you make use of resources available there within your club and let Kenny and Zack do there thing for this tournament. They're experienced, know what they are doing, and have already run atleast 1 class A SNDG tournament before. OH and Kenny hurt his arm so he won't be able to play anyhow.

Jeff
CC
April 03, 2003 02:58PM
Jeff,

Kenny's arm is doing better. He's taking it easy for now, but you know him he's NOT going to miss a tournament. He plans on playing in the Tupelo and the Doxey tourney. The points are to close to sit them out.

Cindy
April 04, 2003 09:43AM
Hmmmm...is that the smell of blood in the water???? Chum, chum, chum....is yum, yum, yum!! Hope you're feelin' better K-Dawg!! lol Griff
Jeff,
I know Zack and Kenny can run a tournament that is the reason I asked them to TD the Spring Open. Least ye forget that I have run Three tournaments in the past year plus provided you with everything you needed for two of your tournaments. Least ye remember, the last tournament I depended on something new and different, but you live and learn right Jeff. This time prizes and plaques are already here. Lessoned learn.
Benny
April 06, 2003 06:26PM
Benny,

I'm not sure if I should interfere BUT this thread was started by me so that entitles me!

I'm not sure about what situation Jeff is referring to BUT if there was a TD who never made a mistake that would be AMAZING!! The best TDs, in my opinion, are people that still step up to run one with errors in their last tournament. This is such a learning experience. I was TD for one of Huntsville's tournaments and you know what? The ones that complained the most were told " Then YOU come up here and run this tournament" ... of course they backed WAY down. It's easier to complain than run one yourself. It's hard to remember every little thing and the best TDs are still learning.

Good luck with this upcoming tournament and thank you for supporting and promoting the sport!!

Addie
jim
April 06, 2003 09:27PM
you may use any bucks from anyone who runs a s.n.q, at the skysouth.com online store. the only thing is if it is not from skysouth you must spend the what is left on the buck. mac and bill will t. , the judges , and kary bucks too are good . all we do is trade them back to each other. you may also pick out stuff and put it up and trade it at the next event. please take care of it.we want all players to be able to get what they want. the only thing i do not take bucks on is portables , there is not much mark up on them. t.d. do the best they can , sometimes when large ams turnout and supprise the t.d. there not much they can do. if they bought to much they would get stuck with it til the next event. i hope this helps , hope to see you all soon ,jim
April 07, 2003 11:54AM
Hi Addie,
Good Question! Bucks are Best!!! To much time is spent by the T.D.s putting prize packages together. As You said, having enough Stuff is KEY!!! When We were done with the Spring Fling;p nothing but DX Plastic was left; Ixcluding some disc that were not even close to the Prize Table(2 CE Avairs were Gone!!!) To sume it all up; Go with the Bucks and have Mostly " Candy" and Chum( towels, Hats, Clothes, Mini's, Birdy Bags...
Love, Jack C.
kary
April 07, 2003 02:25PM
Awesome! I'm going to get busy making some Kary Bucks (TM) right now. Then I can fill up the spare bedroom with Rocs and Teebirds!

Hehe.

If I play well enough to "merch", the prizes are just icing on the cake of good fortune. Vouchers or plastic, it's all good!

-Kary
April 07, 2003 10:07PM
Addie,
My apologies to you for speaking with Jeff. I promise you that it was all in fun. Sometimes us State fans get a little rowdy with each other, but we still bleed maroon and white for a bulldog. Thank you for the pick me up on being a td. Be sure to check out the Wall Doxey forum for other prizes. We hope to see you soon. I meant to ask how the young gentleman shot that was with you that day.
Valkyrie180g or Benny
April 08, 2003 06:19AM
Benny and Jeff,

MY apologies for interfering. The bad thing about text is the READER sets the tone to the text. I took it wrong, Jeff. Sorry!

Wall Doxey is GREAT! Benny, Chad shot -8 which he was disappointed in. Those tough little holes hurt when the trees are two inches thick!!lol!!

See you soon,
Addie
April 08, 2003 08:51PM
Addie,
Did you and Chad play the day with the baskets in alternate positions. If not tell Chad the alternate locations have a few more of those little trees.LOL!! Hey tell me al ittle more about the Rocket City Blast. What are some of the better holes and some of the tougher holes. Me and my Wife just had a boy. It's hard to get out and play at other courses right now. Something else to help with your prizes. I found out that most Wal- Marts will donate to sport clubs if they have chartible tax number. I hope that I said that right. Instead of taking a loss, the would rather donate some of their clearance items. I also wanted to keep this issue to the top for more input from other TD's.
Valkyrie180g
April 09, 2003 06:53AM
Benny,

I'm not sure about the alternate positions. The course was vague in my memory as to how it was laid out in 1999 when I played. We enjoyed it nonetheless! Give or take a tree!!lol.

The Rocket City Blast is held on Memorial Day weekend this year which is great because everyone will have an extra day to enjoy! I'll get Matt Ambrose to post the web info for you. We are playing Brahan, Mastin, and UAH courses. No Redstone due to the war. We have a temporary course that Lavone Wolfe designed for a second course out at UAH which is AWESOME!! UAH is alltogether a long course, pretty open, except for a few holes but nothing to worry about. Brahan is set inside a "pine tree village" LOL. It can be tough, nothing like WD though!!lol. Mastin is wooded with elevation changes frequently!! It is situated on the side of a hill. It's a fun course as well!

Congrats on Baby Boy in the family!! I also have a baby in the fam...My sister had a baby! Ric is his name. He is the first grandbaby on BOTH sides so you can imagine how spoiled he is!!

Take care,
Addie
April 09, 2003 07:21AM
Just a little clarification, Redstone is still a possibility depending on the security situation. I will make that call by the end of the month. The website for the blast is:

[www.west-point.org]

I am probably going to try a voucher system with an onsight vendor who can give the option of selecting from present inventory or ordering online. We'll see how it works out. All whiners and complainers will be court-martialed, keel-hauled and strung up by their thumbs!

Matt Ambrose
PB
April 14, 2003 03:40PM
Whats wrong with dx plastic? I like it just as much as candy. Sure, it is different, but it is still good.
April 14, 2003 04:44PM
PB,

There is nothing wrong with dx plastic. Please read "I'm not bashing these discs...just an example". I'm just referring to the fact that it is known that candy discs are more expensive and harder to come by and they get scrapped up fast! There is nothing wrong with the dx plastic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013