Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Playing behind big groups

Posted by Speedy 
Speedy
Playing behind big groups
April 05, 2003 06:55PM
It really blows playing behind big groups. I have been at courses where there are 3+ groups of 6-8 players ahead of me and they don't let anyone play through. It can make a round that usually last 1 hour, last 2+ hours.

In ball golf, they don't let groups play with more than 5 players (sometimes 4). Why is it so different in disc golf? Also, why don't these big groups let individuals or small groups (2-3) "PLAY THROUGH" instead of making them wait and play behind them as they play methodically?

Any insight here?
The Zinger
Re: Playing behind big groups
April 05, 2003 07:09PM
Speedy, if after 2-3 holes they won't let you through, force your way. I am assuming you are talking about at Highland Road, and if you are, I've run into a few problems lately with the same thing.
misterbogey
April 05, 2003 08:09PM
As far as those large groups playing together. As much as we like to consider ours the best "sport" going, to some it's just a social gathering and an excuse to drink and smoke whatever. I say, let em have their fun.

It is considered good Disc Golf etiquette to allow faster players to play through. The only exception would be if an organized tournament is going on.

I usually make sure the players in front of me know I am there. If they don't wait on the next hole and let me play through then I ask if I can play through.
mac
April 05, 2003 08:50PM
Be sure to yell 'FORE' real loud when you tee off after waiting on them for two holes!
Speedy
April 05, 2003 09:12PM
It happens the most at Highland. I don't want to start throwing discs at people but it's getting to the point where that seems to be the only way to let them know and make them understand that you are THERE and you are SPEEDY.

Some of us like to try and play a quick round or 2 and don't want to have to wait on Sergio to hesitate on a shot all day (inside joke unless you know about ball golf's Sergio Garcia's disturbingly slow play and hesitation in his preshot routine).

This is also a plea to get more courses in the BR area. The more courses there are, the less courses that the groups of 6-8 clog up and the better chance I can get a round in in a timely fashion.
gopher
April 06, 2003 03:28AM
it pisses me off how those people getting in the way always just chill by the basket when they are all putting, they all finish and still sit there for a few minutes i guess trying to figure out their scores or some @!#$, i always try to park the hole they just finished so they know that im good, and im ready to play through. @#$%&
gopher
tree in the fairway
April 06, 2003 10:18AM
we don't like inside jokes around here pal. got it? good! that's for you Zinger...
Let me tell you guys about this I had a group of newbees( about 15 of them) trying to show them how much fun it is to play and we where just finished with hole one and 3 guys come up on hole one to play I tell the group to let them play thru is the right thing to so I tell them to go ahead and they proseed to through every disc in their bag, HOw rude....
Speedy
April 06, 2003 11:33PM
Tree in the fairway,

Sorry you don't like inside jokes. What kind of jokes do you like?

Speedy
I think when we see there is another group that is larger or observed as slow it is good to start on the hole in front of them, like we might have to in a tournament. When there is a group held up behind ours, the best thing to do is let them play through if they want to.

However asking to play through can be risky. A know a disc golfer who when asked for a play through refused and proceeded to place some foreign object (stick, rock, beverage container, etc.) in the basket after finishing each hole. He seemed vary irritated that the group had dared to ask to play through. I don’t know if he had a logical reason or was just in between rehab sessions. Fortunately the group behind had a good sense of humor. It slowed them down enough so that they did not need to play through. It is still one of the funniest things I have ever seen on a golf course, even if it was rude, crude and socially unacceptable.
April 07, 2003 12:28AM
Some frat punk up in Hattiesburg got pissy and tried to talk some smack one time when I asked to play through. Then I reared up on my hind legs, displaying my full height, and he shut up. It was all for show, though. I wouldn't have fought him. I would have just cleaved his cranium with a Ram.
gopher-
some people enjoy reading what others have to say. get your head out of behind and watch what you say on here.

speedy-
some courses have a "rules of play" sign posted on the first hole. this helps the intelligent people play faster and be courteous to others. this is an example of what it would say:

discgolfers-
Players should not throw until they are certain that the thrown disc will not distract another player or potentially injure anyone present.

Courtesy dictates that players who smoke should not allow their smoke to disturb other players. Smokers should extinguish their cigarettes and carry their cigarette butts to a trash can. Disposing of cigarette butts by dropping them on the ground is littering.

Disc golf is a game that expects high standards of etiquette and courtesy. Among the basic considerations of etiquette are such things as concern for spectators and other players and respect for plant life on the course.

PLEASE LET SLOWER GROUPS PLAY THROUGH.

these are some rules of thumb for your course that might help people with their common courtesey if they were posted on the first hole (or highland on 1 and 10).

as you move trough the bunch it wouldnt hurt to mention the hold up problem. they might be new and not even realize your (and others) need for speed.

keep on keepin' on
gopher
April 07, 2003 02:30AM
please let slower groups play through??? thats odd

sorry about the SLANGuage
April 07, 2003 11:00AM
Slower or FASTER, chainsplasher?
gopher
April 07, 2003 11:07AM
im sure he meant faster
something like that, yeah... maybe...
April 08, 2003 07:14PM
i find that if the group in front of u doesnt notice you want to play through,start couphing really loud,like u got a mini stuck in your throat.then in between couphs add in some asthmatic weezing.after 10 to 15 minutes of this they will be begging you to play through.also when u pass up the group extra gas can also help the cause......keep on throwing.
R. A.
April 09, 2003 07:34AM
Gopher,

You need to watch your mouth, us women read these forums as well, and I for one don't appreciate your immature remark at the end of your post. It's a free country and you can say what you want, but here you are complaining about rude disc golfers, and yet you make a remark like that, go figure!

Robin
(See, I'm not afraid to use my real name)
i'll start flying firebirds overhead just for @#$%& and giggles.
John Kittrell
April 09, 2003 08:31AM
You go Robin. I like reading the forum section (it breaks up a work day and keeps me connected to the disc golf community) I hate the anonimity factor - it seems to give rise to idiotic and inappropriate posts that probably wouldn't have been posted if the "poster" had to give his real name. I enjoy some of the back and forth good-natured slams between players however if you critisize someone you should be man or woman enough to post your real name. Just my opinion...
John K
April 09, 2003 10:17AM
I'll second that.
April 09, 2003 12:31PM
Robin,

THANK YOU!

Addie
April 09, 2003 01:14PM
that's right you go girl
gopher
April 09, 2003 01:20PM
ok, first off ide like to apologize for the wording i used in the above post. If anyone can see that the time was 3:30 in the morning sunday morning when i had already had afew beers too many, they might just take the post as a drunken slip up, but maybe not. Im not making excuses but if anyone knows me, they know i am a very nice and curtious young man. Im sure some of you will look at me in a different light now, but im the same nice guy i always was. And i wasnt intentionally hiding my name.

sorry to all the ladies out there,

Hardy Eastham
Hardy Eastham
Hardy Eastham
R. A.
April 09, 2003 01:57PM
Hardey,

Thank you for the apology. My main reason for saying what I said is because not only is it rude and disrespectful, regardless of the fact you had a few to many beers, we all need to watch what we say and how we say things on this forum, and not just because there are women and kids out there reading this stuff, but how about sponsors, potential sponsors or even BREC reading it, it is an embarassment and it's disrespectful and we all need to act our age not our shoe size if we want to be taken seriously.

It's not just the message you posted, but there have been several other posts that I personally find derogatory and disrespectful to the women who play this sport as well.

I'm really not trying to be difficult, or trying to be the "forum police", but I would appreciate some maturity and respect from my fellow disc golfers, and frankly, I don't think that's asking to much.

Thank you for having the decency to apologize and explain.

Robin
April 09, 2003 02:27PM
I agree sooo strongly with what Robin is saying. I was just discussing this the other night... this hopefully will be read by many. If not then maybe we should start a thread?...HHmmmmmmm....

And about playing behind large groups?...Wow, what a problem! If we had that many people playing on our courses we'd be celebrating...not complaining. They will learn the respect of the "play through"...it could just be their lack of knowledge.
R. A.
April 09, 2003 02:55PM
Getting back to the original topic of playing behind big groups....disc golf is definately becoming more popular, and disc golfing traffic at Highland is like being on College Drive at rush hour! Seriously, a few years ago Ronnie and I could go out there after work and only see a handful of people, usually the "regulars", but now, there are tons of people, which is great, unless your trying to play a quick round, and not just groups of two or three people, but groups of 6 or 7, and I can totally relate to what everyone is saying, but usually if you ask NICELY they will let you play through, but some people don't have a clue what "play through" means!

It really irritates me when people tee off while your still playing the hole, and normally we'll wait at the next tee box for them to finish that hole and then explain a couple basic etiquette rules, such as not teeing off until the people in front of you have finished the hole, and explain to them that if they are in a hurry to at least ask if they can play through rather than teeing off and hurting someone, and normally people appreciate you explaining that to them because they really didn't know.

Addie, thanks for your input and support, and thanks John K., Jonas and Pat for your support as well.

See you soon,
Robin
Speedy
April 09, 2003 08:28PM
So is it a rule (or unwritten rule) that the group in front of you has to completely finish the hole for you to start it? That is not the case in ball golf (except the par 3's of course).

If this is the case, then it is tough for the 1-3 fast players behind the 6-8 slow players to get close enough to let the other group know that they are holding them up. I would never throw where it would hit anyone but I play in order to be IN POSITION to pass when the "5 hour round" group feels like letting me/us threw.

Speedy
April 09, 2003 09:14PM
Just a thought...

Can you not start on a different hole? Say...when you know these people are on the course, can you start with the back nine? How is this course designed? Can you cut over a couple of holes and come back to the ones skipped? We have a course where you can and it really helps the flow of the game.

Kevin,

That story is insane! How rude of those people to place objects in the basket! It takes all kinds, huh. Hopefully that wasn't just "a first", but "a last" as well! Good luck to your friend!!
April 09, 2003 09:40PM
I don't know, maybe I should go to some popular courses and play behind big groups. It would be good tournament practice, since it seems like I always end up sitting and getting cold behind a slower group. I had four straight birdies this weekend until we caught up with the group in front of us, then it all went to hell.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 23
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013