Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

new mississippi dg course

Posted by Bill 
new mississippi dg course
August 01, 2002 09:47PM
I have heard that there is a new course in Mississippi, if anyone has any info about this course please respond.
let me know to please thanks toad
Re: new mississippi dg course
August 02, 2002 09:43AM
Yes, there is a new golf course at Holmes County State Park, which is in Durant. The park is approximately 50 miles north of Jackson straight up I-55. I-55 will take you straight there.

There used to be a nine hole course at this park a while back, but a Tornado destroyed it. So, we have a few baskets left over from the previous course plus 18 newer baskets. So, when the course is fully complete, we'll have around 22 - 24 baskets at the course. If I'm not mistaken, 20 baskets are in the ground now.

While these baskets are in the ground, we're still messing around with the tee pads. So, if you show up at the course for the first time and don't know where the holes are, you're going to have a tough time finding your way around because the tee pads are marked with orange flags (we didn't want to put permanent tee markers in case we want to change the tee boxes, and the baskets have only been in the ground for two weeks now).

So, in summary, there is a cool, challenging course in place...I really do like it...water holes, LOTS of elevation changes, etc. But, please know that the course isn't finalized. We still have lots of work to do on the course in terms of maintenance & markers. However, it's still fun to play if you know you're way around. I'd be willing to bet that some of us will be out there on Wednesdays after 5 p.m. and every Sunday for the foreseeable future.

We've joked about this coure being the "most expensive to play" in Mississippi because there are some very, very cool water holes and some blind shots through hills where it's easy to lose frisbees. This isn't like hole #10 at Paul B. Johnson (Hattiesburg) where it's only 200 feet across water from the pro tee. We have a couple of holes where you simple must throw a stable driver across a lot of water. So, bring a lot of plastic!

Hope you guys and gals come and enjoy the course! Kudos to Doug Williams, Kevin Lewis, and Jason Lauglin for taking the lead in setting up the course. And, like all other courses, please treat this one as if it were your home course as Ruth and the Park staff have welcomed us and our efforts to put in the course.
John
August 02, 2002 10:49AM
i had heard that there is a new course near one of the junior colleges in the southern part of the state.
August 02, 2002 12:55PM
ahhhh...could be...don't know about that though...sorry.
Yes There is a new course at a JR college. In poplarville ms between hattiesburg and neworleans...about 20 minutes from slidell is where it is.. 18 holes right at the back of the campus no cost to get in and alot of elavation changes believe it or not. Made a very difficult course. Pro and am tees are on the way. Contact any Hattiesburg people for info on the course thanx
Bill look under the post on this forum called new course my friend Jonas has all the info for you and also helped set it up. Any other questions just email him.
vl
November 19, 2002 03:18PM
any 2003 events planned here?
November 20, 2002 03:36PM
Yes. We hope to organize an event in the near future. I need to get with the people that can help me make this happen. I have no idea where to even begin. Any suggestions?
vl
November 20, 2002 04:30PM
hey jonas,

you'd need to first pick a date... you can look here for a schedule of events for 2003
[ldga.bravepages.com] would recommend that you try to find a weekend that doesn't conflict with another event that is close to your area.

name it: the first annual whateveryoudecide

once you determine a weekend-- put together a flyer.
look at the entry fee costs for one day events elsewhere.
you'd probably want to start with a oneday event, i would imagine...
also post it here in the forum. the more promotion you do the mo' betta.

get with jimo and make it a SNQ... this helps with attendance bigtime

you'd need to have plastic for AM payout. this is obtained thru AM entry fees. Jimo can also help you with this, i am pretty sure.

payout for PRO & AM divisions is really not that difficult--
the top third get paid.

hole sponsors-- if you are interested in adding extra incentive for payout, start months before the event offering 25$ hope sponsorships. the folks that participate might get a printed sign at the Tbox of the hole they sponsor. that money can either be a CTP or add them to the payout. todd has been successful at this as well as the acadiana park krewe.

free beer. people will show up in droves. i'm just joking-- but it is probably true :^P

if you guys decide to run one, please post the date for the event, here, as soon as you determine a weekend. if you need help or have questions, just ask.

the location of that area seems that it could draw golfers from many cities.
November 21, 2002 10:51AM
Hey J man whatsup its been a while since we talk so whats up.Well just stop to take the time to say if you need help with anything to make tourey happen down there in your neck of the woods just holler at me. !!!!CALL ME!!!!
November 21, 2002 10:51AM
Sounds easy enough. I will get to work on establishing a date ASAP. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 30
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013