Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
advance player
when is the time right
April 22, 2003 08:41PM
When do you knoe the time is right to move up and step up your game to play in pro.
Re: when is the time right
April 22, 2003 08:52PM
You will know, as the sand bagging comments are repeated more and you get the balls to play with the big boys. You obviously have to pay attention to your scores, your consistancy and how aggressively you play. Of course I am a lowly am, but these are the things that will affect my moving up to Advanced and then to Pro.

Simply put if you can throw the disc where you want, then you can play with anyone!
April 22, 2003 09:35PM
The right time is June 1, right after the new season starts :p
April 22, 2003 09:44PM
Hey Advanced Player. . .

You are the only one who truely knows when it is time to move up. It's not all that bad though, lets say you put up the extra bucks and enter as a Pro, chances are, unless you truely are due, that you will not cash. You can still go back and play advanced. You can test the waters and see if you have what it takes.

Pick the right event though, say Bud Hill. . . you hang with the pros there. . .you can hang anywhere!

Always remember. . when they all start yelling "MOVE UP". . . it's because THEY don't want you to spank them anymore, move up too soon, and YOU WILL BE SPANKED.

One truth! YOu play with better players. . your game WILL improve!

So test the waters, see how it goes. . and take it from there, as long as you are still having fun. . you have to be doing something RIGHT!

DG Guy
April 22, 2003 11:54PM
Birmingham let me know that I do not need to return to the pro ranks. Even the advanced kicked my butt there. But I'm now prepared for anything Bud Hill can throw at me. Long holes. No problem! RwC
April 23, 2003 10:09AM
I've tried to jump twice since '99---both atttempts proved disasterous...

Last year I was 65 outta 66 at Pros in Memphis....13 strokes behind #50...that was my "home" courses!!

The following week I gave it another whirl....DFL'd and was 12 strokes behind LAST place....that is why Griff BE WHERE HE BE!!!!

I actually enjoy all the friendly smack and competition in the Advanced division....on the long courses I usually get schooled....HOWEVER, I have been known to turn some heads with good scores on the "shorter" more woodsy type courses.

My real enemy....CONSISTENCY!!! If you find consistency in your game, then the next level is definitely reachable....ask Fair Hayes and/or Matt O., I'm also quite sure Zinger can't be far off either!! Griff
April 23, 2003 10:24AM
Just 'cause Griff is a choke artist doesn't mean you shouldn't move up, though ;)
Looking forward to schooling you on the long courses in Huntsville, counselor.
Hey, you said you liked the smack talk. You going to AR States, too?
April 23, 2003 11:34AM
Ya bet Yo CANDEE A$$!! Everyone loves eatin' yard-bird...even the Black ones!!! lol Griff
April 23, 2003 12:29PM
Wow, it looks like there is another advanced player out there who can talk trash with the Griffster!! Crow, I only wish you lived a little more north so you could give old Griff a taste of his own foul medicine in a few more tournaments. Then there would be enough trash on the course to warrant a dump site! You guys keep it up, its fun to read!!
April 23, 2003 01:01PM
What TOP Fuzzz!!! Did I hear ya say ya need some medicine!! I can hardly hear ya 'cause you're SO far ahead up there!! How's the altitude up there at the top?? (I still fondly remember the days when yourself and Coady were in the rear-view mirror!!)

As long as Coady doesn't pull another "lemme run off and leave the group behind" move, Doxey should be as loud and sporting as ever!!

AND THEN THERE's THE HILL!!! Can you say, Griff needs some SERIOUS redemption at his "home" courses!!

I can hit a -7 when it doesn't matter, but can't fight my way outta a wet paper bag when it counts at the Hill!!! OUCHEE!! Griff
April 23, 2003 01:07PM
Griff

JUST BRING IT :)
jeff
April 23, 2003 08:58PM
I'm glad I don't live farther north, 'cuz then I wouldn't be able to throw very far, either.
April 23, 2003 10:32PM
That sucks Crow!! Are you saying that no one from North Mississippi has an arm? I may not be able to throw 500 feet, but I can play with most on any given course. Many rounds on these north Mississippi wooded courses, coupled with a good many hours practicing open drives on a soccer field assures that both areas of the game are there. Now I may not have the ability to park a 500 foot hole for a deuce, but I can assure you that the vast majority of the time I will be nestled nicely under the basket for an easy three. Maybe I took what you were saying the wrong way, its just that I'm kind of tired of everyone thinking that you have to throw 5oo feet to be a good golfer. Your @#$%& right its cool as hell to be able to launch a disc that far, and I sure do wish that I could do it, but I also am under the impression that long distance driving is a small part of a well rounded golf game. I think 350 with accuracy, and a good short game can win just as many tournaments as a 500 foot long game. Granted, someone who can throw 500 and has the short game will have the advantage, but that guys name is Scott Stokely and I watch his tape sometimes for tips. The trick is to find courses that offer the best of both worlds, as I have heard that you guys course at Pearl River does. Hopefully soon I can get down that way and play a round with you South MS longarm boys!
Fair
April 24, 2003 12:04AM
Sounds like I hit a nerve. Or maybe that's just 'roid rage. Body builders. Sheesh :p
Hell, I can't throw 500 either, but you WISH there was a North Mississippi course that required 350 with accuracy. From what I have played and what I have read, most require 250 with accuracy, which is fun for about the first five holes. I'm just the kind of guy who needs to rip one every now and then. That said, I still stick by my original post on this thread. The right time to move up is June 1. I hope to see some of you N. Miss boys in the pro ranks this summer, so we can share in the joy of beating underpantsmike.
April 24, 2003 10:16AM
Yea, that Dianabol/Sustenon stack really gets me jacked up this time of year.
And you are correct about most only requiring 250 with accuracy. We are thankful for what we have though, and hopefully soon someone will take the initiative to install a course with some length to give us some contrast.
See everyone in Arkansas, if not at Doxey.
Fair
April 24, 2003 11:09AM
I HOPE you will be seeing everyone in Memphis Fair!!! Hello!?!?!

Brad
April 24, 2003 12:00PM
Oh my bad man! Yes and Memphis as well.
April 24, 2003 12:20PM
Fair is just soooo excited about ARk States he forgot all about Memphis!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013