Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

New Course in New Orleans Area

Posted by underparmike 
here are the official measurements for the new 9 at Lafreniere:

#10 306' (goes downhill)
#11 275' (flat)
#12 301' (elevated tee to elevated green, flat valley in between)
#13 292' (flat, OB street along right side)
#14 318' (goes downhill)
#15 624' (slightly elevated tee, flat fairway with no trees)
#16 271' (tunnel shot with low low ceiling, flat)
#17 711' (elevated tee, pin by lagoon)
#18 447' (flat, birdied by chernobyl already so you know it's a birdie hole)

total 3543' wow! the fun is back at Lafreniere! front 9 yellow i think measures around 2700', for a total of 6250 or so...longer than highland orange. hey we've got 2 holes now that are longer than 4 orange at highland! :>p as vl would type.

so, it's quite possible to shoot 7 under on the new back 9.

note: as soon as practical we will add am tees to these holes in the style of the red course at Rivendell, likely do the same on the front 9 so the newbies don't freak out.
jeff st.romain has the current course record (front 9 yellow tees/back 9 new holes) of 46.
Re: New Course in New Orleans Area
May 22, 2003 11:15PM
I saw the distances for the back 9. Looks pretty nice...how are the tees marked right now?
Anonymous User
May 23, 2003 10:49AM
just pills in the ground AA, no signs, gonna be a couple weeks at least before we get those. a good way to learn the course is to play the league/mini-toss on thursday nights at 6, also there's random-draw doubles on tuesday night at 6. you could probably figure out the layout if you had extra time, but the baskets don't have numbers on them, and the tee pills don't either. you could have fun making up your own course if you had to as well, it's way more shady than the front 9 at Lafreniere.
Acer,

Tees are not currently marked right now. There just pills in the ground painted red. Although, I recently made a scorecard for Lafreniere with the 18 hole layout on the back. I would be happy to email the map to anyone who asks. Just drop me a line: Innova54@earthlink.net ...And, as underpantsmikey mentioned I did shoot the course record of -8 with a spit out for par on one of those darn Rivendel baskets. So good luck with that. Hope to see everyone out at Lafreniere soon.

Jeff St. Romain
blueboy
May 23, 2003 01:09PM
Why don't you change some of those front nine tees? I've always found them to be a little boring when I used to go there for doubles, otherwise known as the "Eric Tracy College Fund." No bitterness intended. Actually, I'd pay five bucks to watch that guy play any day (and did several times). Me and Klark gave him a good run a couple of times, though, our two shots to his one notwithstanding.
Anonymous User
May 23, 2003 02:29PM
blueboy, i sure would like to do that, but, the front 9 really ain't so bad if you only have to play it once. hole 6 has also been moved recently making that hole more enjoyable.

we will be hopefully putting together the best 9 tees from the original 36 tees on the front 9 to make the new "yellow" tees that will be combined with the new back 9. this will require some agreement amongst the members of the semi-organized NO Team, hopefully we can hash it out and make Lafreniere truly spectacular. once we get the yellows decided on, which should measure around 6200 feet, i will push for another set of tees that should measure around 4400 feet like the red tees at Rivendell, or Chickasabogue, so that when a player is in the mood to shoot 10 under they can, or the newbies can play it until they're ready for the other tees.

when we decide on the new front 9, i will be trying to implement a big variety of shots, just like i designed the back 9, which has 2 lefty holes, 1 righty, and the other 6 are pretty balanced, with several flight path options.
May 23, 2003 04:59PM
Dang Mike, that's nice of you. Even Strut & Caw might enjoy a round from the ladies' tees ......

And you are right, the selection of the better tee locations on the old nine will make the course as a whole primo superior ....
blueboy
May 23, 2003 05:22PM
I just got back from the park, and I'm pretty sure that I didn't play the new holes correctly. The old holes were actually a lot better now that the trees have grown in a little more. However, a couple of those holes are closing up. Did you say that there was a thursday doubles league?
May 23, 2003 06:24PM
Tuesdays - Random draw doubles

Thursdays - League

Both begin at 6PM.
I know the great days at rivendale farm will soon end. The oil company is taking the land. Mike, What are they going to do with the last 9 baskets. Are they going to be added to Lafreniere also?
Anonymous User
May 27, 2003 10:33AM
don, we are trying to find a home for the other 9 baskets...maybe city park, maybe the lakefront, maybe norco. they will not be used to replace the old modified mach 1's at lafreniere as some have suggested, we kinda like having to putt with a little finesse sometimes.
vl
May 27, 2003 10:45AM
north shore (somewhere up there) seems like a good place, if city park turns out to be a no go...

but man would city park be NICE! or what!

extra special thanks to mikey and others who made rivendell "happen" and made it such a special place. that delta woods course will not soon be forgotten, is my guess...

btw, i have never seen a bald eagle at any other course. :^p
May 27, 2003 03:49PM
IMHO, City Park is the place! 600 yr old live oak trees with magnificent sprawling branches that reach the ground and then grow back up, make for sweet pin placements. The park is one of the largest municpial parks in the US so there are acres and acres of unused space (Audubon is much,much smaller and I think would be a harder sell).

City Park! City Park! City Park!

btw Fountainbleau on the north shore is another great spot but the management seems to be against it.

i thought mike david had went to fountainbleu and said the park director said we could put baskets in if the disc golfers bought the baskets. or do you have an update on that ?
May 27, 2003 10:19PM
I did not hear that from Mike but I'll call him tommorow and if its true I'd like to meet with them asap.
May 28, 2003 08:01AM
Several weeks back Mike told me that he'd received an encouraging response from the park director. Since the old park directors are likely going to jail, perhaps the new administration will look favorably on a proposal, especially if we can provide the baskets.
May 28, 2003 09:17AM
I talked to Mike this morning. He said the lady he spoke with is open minded, but wants some information regarding how much use the course would generate. Mike is trying to collect names around the Mandeville area, but I fear it will take too long. I suggested to him maybe we should ask if we could do a 1 day tourney and donate some or all of the proceeds? Just a thought. Between me, Don and Mike D we have 9 portables already! We could bring them a proposal as.
Anonymous User
May 28, 2003 11:13AM
yes that is a great idea, nuclear accident man.

rob, what is that story about the old park directors? sounds fascinating. can't believe there is corruption in louisiana though.
May 28, 2003 11:34AM
Are we talking the Fountainbleu Subdivision somehow or is there a seperate park? I might have an in for ya'll if we are somehow dealing with the subdivision. My aunt is or atleast used to be rather involved in that area.

Jeff
May 28, 2003 12:11PM
Jeff - It's the state park east on Mandeville on HWY 190.
May 28, 2003 12:39PM
"east of"
May 28, 2003 02:34PM
Mike: The former park director and an assistant were charged with misappropriation of funds. The dude was using park $ for home improvements - I think about $6,000 worth. I'm guessing he's got a nicer house than I do.
May 28, 2003 03:31PM
A funny side note, I had just spoken with the old park director's wife, who I work with, and she told him about disc golf and that he would like to talk with me about it. The very next day was when the news story broke out that he and some others were arrested for misappropriation of funds. Life goes on......
May 30, 2003 08:26PM
I would like to say that today I played the new 9 in Lafreniere and found it to be lots of fun. Good job to all who helped install the course. It's a great layout with nice flow. There are lefts, rights, straights, technicals and might I add a couple of holes with some "D". That's what I'm talking about. Hey Mikey, did you add those monster holes to lengthen your arm? Any way, nice job!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 27
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013