Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Southern National Tags

Posted by Just 2 It 
Re: Southern National Tags
May 25, 2003 01:15AM
Is the money generated by the sn tags for the end of season events? or what..and is it evenly spread across the divisions?

The real purpose of the tags is to stimulate competition..keep everyone on their toes...and not have to always play for money to prove something...

taking a players tag against their will is more fun then taking their money...

be a man. or woman. and defend your tag! (if it's worth defending)

oh, yeh...new tag challenge casual play--let other player in group pick your driving disc..and see who is the most versatile, and can still ching em'!
vl
May 25, 2003 01:22AM
wow, do bag tags work as a fundraiser! or what...

good job willybt and others that kept selling the tags...

jason i do not know specifics, but jimo has a pretty solid track record of being fair to all divisions-- in my opinion.

where they heck else do novices get discs or a bag for just signin' up. :^)>

sn rocks. bag tags rock. rocs rock. "^p
May 25, 2003 10:21PM
Ok...I've been having trouble logging in which is why I haven't put in my two cents worth yet. Well I'm back and here's what I've got to say on the subject.

You can't have separate tags for women, that's crap. If you do then how can you justify not having separate tags for am's or pro's. If you want to divisionalize the tag system then do it for all, not just for us poor helpless women. I know some women out there are for the separate tags system, but I think they, like a lot of guys, are loosing sight of what the purpose of the tags are. Not to prove who is the greatest disc golf player of all time, or at least for that round, but TO RAISE MONEY. When you purchase an SN tag its just like buying a raffle ticket. You know the odds of winning the raffle (or keeping the low number you were lucky enough to draw) is slim but, hey its for a good cause and kind of fun.

I think the TD's out there that started giving prizes out for the highest/lowest numbers are doing a good job of trying to keep the fun in the tags. It's just that we are all so competitive that we have lost sight of the true purpose.

Another point that has been overlooked: Having the tags made costs money. When you buy in bulk you save money. Ordering all the tags the same would cost less than several orders of a few of different colors/types. And if the product you are trying to sell costs that much more to produce then you are going to have to jack up your selling cost to continue to see the same profit margin. (Which leads us back to the purpose of the tags: TO MAKE MONEY).

Ok, I'm off of my soap box now, although I did enjoy the view from up there.
May 25, 2003 10:34PM
Thank you Judy, I'm glad to hear that some people understand that it is all for fun, and helping the poor TD that is running the SNDG Championships to raise money for their tournament. (and the players of the SN's year ending tournament)

I again reiterate (sp?) that each division will get their own #1 bag tag (poss the top 3-5) for the lowest # in their division. So if the lowest # in the Am women's division is 159, they will be the #1 Am Woman Bag tag champion.

I will also like to take this time to beg for sponsorships! If anyone has an in on a company that may be interested, get in touch with me or Ronnie Cook to get a Sponsorship packet. Thanks,

Will T 225-266-1447 skysouthwest@msn.com
Ronnie C 225-273-1221 rwcwm@bellsouth.net
May 27, 2003 07:45AM
Well if that is the case then I will never buy a bag tag probably because I am not sure I will be at the championships and I will never be able to compete with the boys.

I am all for making money for the SNDG but I do not have fun by being embarrassed by guys who can take a lower number...for me it is not who is the lowest number at the end of the year in the championships but how I feel that I can be competitive with people.

That is part of the reason why I do not move up to pro women ranks...yes I have been playing this sport on and off since 1986 but I have never been competitive with any of the pro women and so I stay in Am women...as you can tell I have not won a tournament this year.

For me the fun is in seeing everybody at a tournament and helping out..if I was to get a bag tag then I would do it to be competitive and since I do not have that ability then I will just say forget it...I will donate my money other ways like entering tournaments.

Beth
May 27, 2003 08:11AM
a few thoughts, when ordering tags you have to order 100 or more at a time. the td are trying to find ways to let all bag tag players a chance to win something. sometimes i give it to the highest # sometimes to a closest #, sometimes in a ring of fire, lowest #, andclosest to hole. i like the way bud hill did their who gained the most points and who lost the most points. maybe thinking of new ways of giving out the prizes is the answer. remember the tags were not out a full year yet. next year there will be and i bet it will work out.
vl
May 27, 2003 08:28AM
hey batter, batter.... saaawing

judy hits a home run.

to me the whole concept of the bag tags-- it is mostly about helping the TD of the host city of the SN Finals with some added $-- and a bit of added fun to the tourney structure...

think of how hard it would be to find a business sponsor that would cut a check for three grand.

that sum was achieved this SN season by the good will of the sn tag purchasers.
(actually less than an entire season)

it ain't about who has the godzilla arm. it is all about helping out the host city AND THE VOLUNTEER TD THAT RUNS IT, everything else is mere icing on the cake in my opinion.
May 27, 2003 03:17PM
hello all

Well when I started this thread it was just to point out not many women have tags. I was hoping that maybe we could find a way to get more women involved.
I understand it is about FUN and raising money for the SNC.

With 11 women in a tournament and only 2 have tags you might think HMMMMM how do I get the other 9 to buy the tags? WOW that would be $135 more dollars. I am sure there are more women than that who don't have tags. This was just one tournament.

PEAS, LUV,& DISCGOLF!

Lori

Griff
May 27, 2003 04:40PM
I believe also that my point continues to be missed...for women, an ADDITIONAL tag of a different color to cause more interest among those divisions!! The regular tag to be passed as always and one specifically for the purpose of engaging the ladies only in competition, drawings, etc.

I realize the $$$ FUN part of the tags and that is in NO WAY diminished by the offering of the ADDITIONAL tag. The regular tag also prevents any ladies from feeling they are being treated differently(it passes as the usual green tags do). In fact, we would be encouraging the growth and competition of the ladies divisions by offering them MORE NOT LESS AND NOT DIFFERENT. Just an opinion...but one that seems to have been missed by some of the previous posts. Griff
May 28, 2003 05:17PM
Sending it to the top

May 29, 2003 06:26PM
Griff, two tags would mean paying more to make the two tags which would mean paying more to get the two tags.
vl
May 29, 2003 06:35PM
the tag costs are a couple of hundred while the revenue generated is three grand.

a few tags extra tags would not cost too much and would be worth the extra tag revenue if it caused more femmes to be involved.

Griff
May 29, 2003 06:51PM
Worst case scenario....I'm sure amongst our crowd we have folks with the tools to make a second tag a reality without bein' too pricey...imo...Griff
May 30, 2003 01:37AM
true, true. hope to catch you at a tournament soon Griff. Victor, when am I gonna see you again? Miss taken yo $$. ;) Hope your having a blast at those long courses in Tx.
vl
May 30, 2003 07:35AM
sup zdad, you would love the wilmont and powell courses at tom bass. (the willie makes highland look short :^p) however, there are actually has a fair number of short courses here. agnes moffitt is a roc festival (where all the locals play regularly) and macgregor course is shortish wil a few long holes. anyway, i was going to try to make the cajun classic, but it ain't looking good. take care terry. keep skinnin' the aardvarks :^p
May 30, 2003 07:57AM
I think the bag tags have been a great addition to the game. When I am getting the crap beat out of me in a tournament I still have something to play for!

The biggest problem I have is the tag itself. It's gone! After league last night I went to exchange tags and mine was no longer attached to my bag. Is there any way we could find to make them more secure? What if they could be pinned on or something? Or am I the only one who has lost it?

Tagless in Slidell,

Chernobyl
May 30, 2003 08:12AM
Paul, I put mine on a small split ring after discovering the chain had come unfastened. Fortunately, the tag hadn't fallen off. I think WillBT lost a tag because the chain didn't remain fastened.
May 30, 2003 12:53PM
I was arguing before against the separate tags just because of the expense involved, but Griff (I can't believe I'm saying this) is right. A bunch of the North Mississippi guys made their own tags for a while out of mini's. Just punched a hole in them and wrote numbers on them with a marker. They worked fine and you could decorate them with your own style if you wanted. If we are just trying to get more women involved then I say lets try something like that. What do you say ladies...got an extra mini you don't mind sacrificing in the name of competition?
May 30, 2003 01:09PM
If it was up to me (and to get the ladies involved) I would make up a small number of ladies tags - that are not pink, just different - and when any of the women buys a regular SN bag tag, give them the ladies bag tag as well for no extra charge (the tags individualy aren't that expensive, and if more women are buying bag tags the extra expense is more than offset). This seems to solve a couple of problems. The expense would be the same for the tag, the women wouldn't have to buy 2 different tags to compete. The women could still compete with the rest of the sn bag tag holders because they have the regular bag tag as well, so they wouldn't feel isolated from the rest of the bag tag holders. The women could compete for the ladies bag tag. Just my opinion, any comments...
John k
May 30, 2003 01:12PM
Sounds good to me. Let's just settle this so we can get the tags for the new year.
May 30, 2003 01:14PM
That's an excellent idea, John. I think that addresses everyone's concerns about the tags. I guess I will have to get one this time around. Lost out on the fun already. Thanks, Russ.
May 30, 2003 01:26PM
kenny and fair says they are in for the pink tags. they really hope they draw a low #. Griff, thought you woulg enjoy that.lol
May 30, 2003 01:27PM
Great idea John. I'm practicing my falsetto.

Wouldn't it be cool to design the tags so that you could look at all the names of the people who had that tag? Don't quite know how to do that but it would be neat to see who has carried the tag. Even I carried #1 for about a minute. It would also give a lot of people hope to see a top pro name on a triple digit tag#.

Oh well enough from here, back into the rabbit hole.

Griff
May 30, 2003 01:38PM
Weell it must be CHILLY down below!!!! First, Judy said I was right!?!?! Then my wife let me outta the fam. reunion in AR which means I am IN at Cossar!!! SWEET!!

fyi...I ALWAYS intended the ladies to receive their extra tag at no additional cost...and I do believe that the extra tag would promote the ladies interest!! lol Griff
Robin
May 30, 2003 01:42PM
John,

That is an excellent idea. Also, I want to apologize to John K., I said that he gave me bag tag #177, apparently I need glasses (comes with old age), he actually gave me #111! Woo-hoo! My bad, sorry John! :)

Judy, it was so nice to finally meet you and throw with you at Rivendell, I'm looking forward to you moving up to pro, I think you will be great competition.

Have a nice weekend,
Robin
May 30, 2003 02:19PM
I also agree there should only be one division for tags....I personally don't care that much what tag I have...it just ads more competition to the round.

Unfortunately, I lost my tag#88, at Acadiana Park, it fell off of my bag!
May 30, 2003 09:22PM
Don't feel alone stryfe..I know 4 tags that have been lost at Acadiana Park.

I fasten mine with a funky looking shower curtain hanger and haven't lost it yet...cept' in playing for it! ;-)

btw...Just to save me days of searching, when are the new Bag Tags in effect and when will they be in?
May 30, 2003 09:52PM
I talked to Will Timmons about that at doubles the other night, mr bogey. Current tags remain in effect until the championships. The new tags will go on sale then, too.
May 30, 2003 10:11PM
Really, wow. Seems like a long time. My first tournament back in Febuary was the first time I heard of the tags and of course didn't buy one. I suppose I will have to wait until September to buy one? Are they all gone? I guess I missed out on this one.
May 30, 2003 10:48PM
Really really. <best Shrek voice>

Feb to *Aug* ain't too bad. Buy one at the championships and you have an entire year to get a higher tag number! =8)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 16
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013