Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

CAN YOU SHOOT YOUR AGE?

Posted by misterbogey 
CAN YOU SHOOT YOUR AGE?
May 25, 2003 09:38PM
Here is something you hear talked about a lot in that "other" golf game...shooting your age.

Now note I didn't say "acting your age" cause we wouldn't be playing this great sport if we did...;-p

Back in my younger days, I first started making bogeys at LaFrenier Park playing with such household names as Andi and Jeff Lehman, Paul Vogel, Dan Perkins, Mike David, Phillip Tracy and his little brother Eric (he was just a kid then), John Fox, Mike Kernan, Danny Savage, and some I can't remember.

Now these players all went on to achive discgolf greatness (some in their own minds) but one player I use to admire more than anyone else was Paul Vogel's dad. Sorry I don't remember his first name but it always amazed me that at age 60 or so he was able to shoot his age consistently. Now how many of you can say that! It took me 4 years before I did it the first time and I still don't do it consistently!

Anyway let's hear from all of you out there that can shoot your age and see who the youngest of the bunch is. You already know who the most ancient is...;-)
PB
Re: CAN YOU SHOOT YOUR AGE?
May 25, 2003 10:01PM
Yeah, I've shot 19...over. I've got a few decades to go before I'll accomplish that feat.
May 25, 2003 10:51PM
Hey Joe,

His first name believe it or not was Paul! I am the 3rd actually. He was a most natural athelete and probably was best at bowling. We didn't get to know each other until I was in my 30 s because my mom and he split up when I was about a year old. Around '89 he moved back to NO and we started playing ball golf. The deal was I'll play your silly little game if you'll play mine. I didn't improve nearly as much as he did but it gave us many hours to get aquainted. Then as you may recall he died of a heart attack in '95. The most memorable disc golf experience we had together was when he caddied for me at the Summer Sizzler at Municipal in Mobile. I was ahead with about 5 holes left and was doing my usual falling apart thing when Paul looked me square in the eye and said, "Do you mean that I came all this way to watch you @#$%& the tournament away"? His words inspired me and I began to play to win instead of trying not to lose. I finished first in pro masters by a couple strokes and won a cool hat that I still wear when I need inspiration.

Thanks for remembering him.

As far as shooting my age, I used to shoot my present age (47) all the time at LaFreniere but I must have aged prematurely as I now shoot closer to yours (Lazy eight).

Actually that was self defecating humor. Yesterday I shot -6 on the new LaFreniere course. Thats a 48 if you use a par 54 or 46 if you call it par 56 as Mikey has laid it out! Anyway if I can score my age at 60 I'll be pretty happy (NOT).

Now go 5 one for me!

Chernobyl

May 25, 2003 11:18PM
So you're to blame for that double bogey I had today! ;-p

Great hearing from you Paul and that is a great story about you and your dad at the Sizzler.

And speaking of sizzler...while you're burning in that LaFrenier heat, plan to come on down to the shade of Acadiana Park for our September 13 tourney, if not before. And bring the old gang with you!
BUD
May 26, 2003 09:15AM
I never thought of it before , but I can and have shot my age many times at 45 that's only a -9. It is going to get easier now , I'll only have to shoot -8 next year!!!!!!!!! BUD
May 26, 2003 10:23AM
Yes I did!!!at Acadian Park old 18 once 44 and ace run new course 42.I was in the zone I birdied the 3 hole and the 8 thru 18 it was like a dream! everything came together and even the 12 hole 12 foot put was what really fired me up.not bad for a 45 yr old.
May 26, 2003 10:24AM
So far Bud has the lowest "shoot your age" score of 45! Can anybody top that or is "Bud" the king of the "Hill"? ;-p
May 26, 2003 10:25AM
Opps didn't see Pat Latiolais 42...whoa! Those Cajun boys can fling em' can't they? ;-)
May 26, 2003 08:13PM
Yo Pat!

That -12 on the Ace Run ties Greg Guidry's record.

If anyone wants to see the course records for Acadiana Park just click on the url below and scrol down to the "record disc".
vl
May 26, 2003 08:35PM
darn near as old as t-pat & in singles:

i've shot an -11 down at greenwood and -10 (3 diff times a few years back) on the original 18 at acadiana.

never been anywhere close to those scores on big dog courses though.

best i've ever shot highland is -6
best at tom bass (wilmont: the willie) is smooth and @#$%& happy to have it.

low score side note:
last night here in htown at the moffit course they had an organized random draw doubles night event (with the permission of the city)

60 folks showed up for the birthday bash "Heat's Moonlight Melee"

shot an -11 with a random AM player... whoohoo!
May 26, 2003 08:44PM
Good scores Vic..and in the dark at that!

Like I said "Dem Cajun boys sure can fling em'"!
jg
May 26, 2003 10:16PM
Missed my age by 1. Shot a 48 on the red couse in Burns Park.

Vl, who was the "random am" you played with. I hope he did not drop your bag.

JG
KennyG
May 26, 2003 10:40PM
Gonna be hard to find an 18 hole course to shoot a "32". I prolly can shoot my age on the front 9 @ da Duzze Course.
vl
May 26, 2003 10:56PM
jg, my partner was a guy from port arthur named matt. he was "just about advanced" level, imho.

he is buddies with scott L, another frequent tourney player from port artyour'

(they mentioned BV and some of laf krewe had recently played the port arthur course random doubles)

anyway the night tourney was a blast. NO SWEATING!! whoohoo! :^p

a random draw of 60 folks actually ended up somewhat fair... "teamwise"

there were only one real super power team... (but we trounced em', they only shot a -7... but i am fairly sure budweiser had something to do with that, though) :^p

Griff
May 27, 2003 09:56AM
Someone needs to mention John Linton (OGB) here....that's affectionately "Ol' Gray Balls" up here in Memphis...I'm sure he's BEATIN' his age!! He shot the record -12 on the Blue course in LR!! Not sure of his age, but I KNOW the 19 hole course is 57 Par and he shot an AMAZING 45!! OGB OGB OGB!! Griff
BUD
May 27, 2003 11:48AM
I didn't say my best at 45 is a -9 its -14 at Chickasabogue this past Feb at one of Joe's tosses- followed by a -13 the following toss. The first time I shot my age was when I was 41 and shot my best tourney score of -14 at the 'bogue -- no that's not right- I shot -16 on the red tees at Municipal when I was 38, but the-14 at 45 was more satisfying !! Come on old guys lets hear your stories!!!BUD
May 27, 2003 12:31PM
If I followed the "bouncing Bud" right, the lowest "shoot-your-age" score on record is now 38!

That's gonna be tough to beat...I don't even remember being 38!
May 27, 2003 03:27PM
OGB is 46
May 27, 2003 03:28PM
ET phone home!
May 27, 2003 03:53PM
I know ET told me he had a -17 at LaFranier...think he may be a bit younger than 37 though.

But he does shoot some "out of this world" scores!
bob satter
May 27, 2003 04:10PM
Does doubles count Scott Renz and myself once shot an -18 or 36 that is my age!! Peace Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 19
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013