Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

Windy Hills Open

Posted by Joe the Pro & Cat 
Windy Hills Open
March 15, 2009 08:29AM
Alright ladies....who all are coming to this tournament. I have never played one of Shane's tournaments but I have heard through the grapevine that he treats us right. Who all are making the trip?
Re: Windy Hills Open
March 15, 2009 11:40AM
I'll be there! ^_^
March 15, 2009 04:28PM
I can promise you that Shane has taken the verbal abuse I've given him over the years very well and has learned how to make a lady's life easier during a tournament. My favorite thing he does is always start the women on the holes closest to tournament central. So when you are finished you don't have a 3/4 mile hike. (Trust me, that used to be the case, but like I said, Shane listens.) Plus by having access to the PRCC Wellness Center for the tournament you can take showers after the tournament if you want.

I'm on the fence as to if I am going to play or not. I hate hate hate the idea of not playing, but I just can't commit just yet as I don't know how I'll be feeling.

Good luck to all of you that do play. I promise you'll be impressed by the course and have a good time.

Judy
March 15, 2009 04:44PM
I'll be there Cat. Sounded like Deb was planning on it too.

I'll be working on my up-shots this week. or should I say weak........?
March 15, 2009 08:51PM
For those of you that have not played at Poplarville before and want to know a little about the course here's my 2 minute run-down.

5 holes most people would consider wooded. The rest are open, but you still want to place your shot. I.E. Don't stick yourself behind that clump of trees, avoid the pond, road, tennis court, etc.

5 holes have water that could come into play. One of these is sneaky. It's a blind shot at the basket from the tee and there is water (depending on the recent amount of rain) 15 - 25 feet to the side of the basket but it's still a potential birdie so you kind of have to go for it. The other four holes are honest about their water hazard. I.E. There's a big freaking pond you can see from several holes away.

I'm guessing over half of the holes have some sort of elevation change. Be it the basket is on the top/bottom of a hill or a man-made mound (because Shane is an evil evil man).

There is not much shade so if the weather calls for a sunny day bring sunscreen.

There is almost always plenty of wind so do not be shocked when a putt that is solidly in the chains gets blown back out (has happened to me 3 times there! UGH!).

This is a great course. The hosts are wonderful. Expect to face a pair of rounds that will challenge all aspects of your game and to have a good time during it.

Judy
March 16, 2009 08:14AM
Thank you, Judy. I am glad you brought out the evilness of Shane. I have often wondered about him. :) :)

Showers? Wow that is cool. I will remember to throw in an extra set of clothes and towels, etc.

Cat
March 16, 2009 03:16PM
Attn: Lindsey B, Charlee, and/or any other Am Women attending the WHO
Subject: Up for playing in the Advanced Womens Division???
March 16, 2009 04:43PM
Talked to Madison yesterday, and it looks like she will be in Cali for the weekend. Other than that is seems like everyone else that I have talked to is in.

Shane

Transparency of information breeds self correcting behavior!
March 16, 2009 05:30PM
I personally would LOVE to have an Advanced Women's division offered. If I'm up to playing I'll definitely be signing up for that if offered.

Judy
March 16, 2009 07:40PM
It is always offered, just need three to play. I think that would be excellent for this year. It would make both divisions ultra competitive. Mrs. Haydel you on the other hand should really look at playing in the pro division ;).

Dr. Evil

March 17, 2009 06:07AM
Yes!! I would agree about Judy playing open..she's bagged in Am's long enough.. ;p

Michelle "Snap"

pdga# 30918
wdga# 098
March 17, 2009 11:45AM
Snap,

I think that you are in a situation where you are just that much better than everyone else in the Advanced Division.With so few women playing, it is tough to have all divisions available. It looks like the Adv. Women division is starting to grow, which will lead to a bigger Open Women's field eventually. I think so many of the ladies just don't have the time to invest into playing golf, which keeps them from making the move. Hopefully with the longer hours with daylight savings time, that may happen soon. I did not mean to create an issue. Judy is certainly welcome to play any division she is eligible for.

Shane

March 17, 2009 12:44PM
A lot of women also don't think they are "good enough" to play and that is one reason why I never played tournaments when I started. You think there are few women down here? You ought to have tried KS about 10 years ago. I was just about the only women to play in a lot of tournaments. Hind sight is 20/20 but I wish I would have played more then.

Judy would be great in Open or Advanced. If more tournaments geared themselves to the ladies I think we would see more of a turnout.

Just my thoughts.

Shane, did you answer my question about the showers at the WHO and I missed it? Thanks

Me
March 17, 2009 04:42PM
No matter what part of the country a lady lives in, this is an ongoing issue. God knows we've got the same problems around these parts, too.

My suggestion.................

PLAY AS MANY WOMEN'S ONLY EVENTS AS YOU CAN......................THAT IS THE BEST WAY TO FIND YOUR REAL COMPETITION AND FILL A COUPLE OF CARDS AT THE SAME TIME. IMAGINE THAT! lol

Come over to Austin in April for Texas Women's Championship. Great event thrown by great guys!!!! We have girlie stations with chocolates, and all kinds of goodies for the ladies.

A great players party with free beer and food at the host hotel................and lots and lots of ladies who love disc golf as much as we do.

Looks like I might be around for LA Open in May............sure hope to see ALL you girls there!

BTW, Robin, I just talked to Peggy Berry, she and Shelia K. are heading our way. It is going to be a great Pro Master field this year.

And there are two invites for the Vibrum Open, one of the coolest events ever.
Re: Windy Hills Open....question????
March 17, 2009 07:09PM
On the tournament page it states there will be 19 holes + a mini hole.
What does that mean? (Rookie question probably)
March 17, 2009 08:25PM
The course has 19 holes and all will be played during the tournament. As much as I love the course there are a few places where there is a longer than normal transition between holes. To make one of these transitions more interesting a "mini hole" is added. There will be a tee pad marked and a mini basket that you will play to using one of your minis. It is purely optional, but always fun to try. Prizes are given to the person with the best score on the mini hole over the two rounds. You'll play it once per round.

Personally I am probably THE WORST person to ever try to throw a mini. One year my drive attempt off of the tee ended up 40 feet in the woods BEHIND me. I'm not easily embarrassed. I do too many ungraceful things. But that round I was playing with the current women's distance record holder, Jennifer Griffin. I had hoped to do myself proud. She was still laughing when she did a 360 spin on her drive and launched her mini about 200' down the fairway. I may not be graceful, but I'm entertaining! :-)

Ok, more than you wanted to know, but I felt like sharing.

Judy
March 17, 2009 08:33PM
Great...........something else to work on. I don't think I've ever actually tried to throw one of those. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Hilarious story Judy. Thanks for sharing.
March 17, 2009 09:30PM
Judy is good at sharing! Next time you play a round with her ask her about the the time she tried to strip the paint off of a buffet!

:)

Jeff H
March 17, 2009 10:27PM
This thread is definitely more entertaining than the one on the main page. The showers will be available after the tournament. Looking forward to seeing everyone this weekend.

Shane

March 18, 2009 09:13AM
shane Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This thread is definitely more entertaining than
> the one on the main page. The showers will be
> available after the tournament. Looking forward to
> seeing everyone this weekend.
>
> Shane

Entertaining indeed.

Shane explains the showers.
Then looks forward to seeing everyone.

Just doesn't sound right.
May I suggest a paragraph break.

An awards ceremony inside, with working lights,
with clean, fresh smelling contestants,
now that's what I'm talking about.

steve
March 18, 2009 09:28PM
You did notice Steve that my new name is Dr. Evil right ;)

Dr. E

March 19, 2009 09:16AM
Suemac Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No matter what part of the country a lady lives
> in, this is an ongoing issue. God knows we've
> got the same problems around these parts, too.
>
> My suggestion.................
>
> PLAY AS MANY WOMEN'S ONLY EVENTS AS YOU
> CAN......................THAT IS THE BEST WAY TO
> FIND YOUR REAL COMPETITION AND FILL A COUPLE OF
> CARDS AT THE SAME TIME. IMAGINE THAT! lol
>
>
> Come over to Austin in April for Texas Women's
> Championship. Great event thrown by great
> guys!!!! We have girlie stations with
> chocolates, and all kinds of goodies for the
> ladies.
>
> A great players party with free beer and food at
> the host hotel................and lots and lots of
> ladies who love disc golf as much as we do.
>
>
> Looks like I might be around for LA Open in
> May............sure hope to see ALL you girls
> there!
>
> BTW, Robin, I just talked to Peggy Berry, she and
> Shelia K. are heading our way. It is going to be
> a great Pro Master field this year.
>
> And there are two invites for the Vibrum Open, one
> of the coolest events ever.

SWEET! Glad to hear it, sounds like we're gonna have a really nice Master's divsion. You bringing "D" with you too? Emily? I wish I could make the Texas Women's Championship, sounds like a great time.

Looking forward to seeing ya'll at the LA Open.

Take care,
Robin
March 19, 2009 10:13PM
The course looks ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!
March 20, 2009 10:03PM
Thanks Jen for all of your help this week to get it in shape. See everyone in the morning.

Dr. E

March 22, 2009 11:44AM
Thanks to all of the ladies who made the tournament. There was some questions about how money was distributed. So that everyone understands how I decided, I chose to give the majority of the funds/prizes to the divisions in which anyone can compete, i.e the top non-aged-protected Am division and the top Pro division. That is why when you look at the payout, those are the largest beneficiaries of extra money and or prizes. That is the only fair way that I can think of to distribute, so that everyone has a chance to compete for the extras. However if sponsors request monies be given to a particular division, I will always allocate those funds accordingly. Hope to see everyone again soon.

P.S. Robin I sent you a PM.

Shane

March 22, 2009 07:39PM
What a great day! Robin and Deb, it was great playing with both of you. Good grief Deb, you rocked the second round. What kind of sense does that make? I won the first round. Deb won the second round....................and Robin takes home the prize! Bagger! :)

The best part of the whole day was when all three of us made it safely onto the island in the second round.

Now I'm going to go practice putting and get ready for the next one! Be very scared.....................

Lynn
March 22, 2009 10:59PM
Wow, is all I got to say. Sounds like all you ladies played some seriously awesome golf. Congrats to the winners!!!
March 23, 2009 08:18AM
Deb and Lynn, you are both biotches! :) Seriously though, good shooting ladies. Our second round was pretty intense, we battled it out until the end. Lynn said Deb won the last round but she didn't, she sure tried though, I beat her by 2 but she made a HUGE, 15 stroke improvement from the first round. Good job Deb, way to come back. Lynn, I think you've practiced your putt enough young lady! Lynn was a putting machine Saturday...bagger.

Shane, I got your PM, I sent you one back, thanks. Also, I totally understand how you distribute the extra money to the pro payouts, most tournaments do it that way, if you want a bigger chunk of change, step up and play with the big dogs, at least that's how I've heard it explained. I was not surprised that much by the pro master payout, other then IF any extra money was added maybe it would have paid 2nd place in our division. That would have been my only question about it. But then again, most tournaments only pay 1st in a three person division.

GREAT shooting Michelle and Stacey. For those of you who werent' there, they shot a +2 and +3 the second round, that was smokin hot! And if that weren't enough, they had a 4 hole playoff to boot...wow! And, they both got a birdie on the infamous island hole! You were both winners this weekend in my book. Good job.

The course looked great, beautiful weather and wonderful friends...what a great weekend!
March 23, 2009 09:30AM
YES, a great day for golf. I truly enjoyed my rounds with Robin and Lynn -- they are a blast!! I do not know what happened to me the first round, but hopefully I can figure it out and do better the next tourny. I was pleased with my comeback second round, but when you are so far back -- -- whatever. And YES Lynn, I agree with Robin, you have practiced your putts enough, NOW STOP IT. Lynn was smoking hot on her putts on Saturday -- the distance did not matter. Great job Lynn. Robin, as always, was very consistent both rounds with both drives and putts -- which is why she is always a winner. Congrats on your win, Robin.

Stacey and Michelle, great game for both of you. WOW, amazing golf.

The course was in great shape, the weather was awesome, and the friends make it the best day ever. Hope to see everyone again soon.

Deb
November 03, 2009 01:32AM
Judy,thanks for share, I will be there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJ
Guests: 18
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013