Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The 2nd Annual WDGA Championships tournament will be held at Budhill in Memphis!

Posted by cherylal 
The 2nd Annual WDGA Championships tournament will be held at Budhill in Memphis!
February 26, 2007 12:19AM
It is official!!
The 2nd Annual WDGA Championships tournament will be held at the Budhill disc golf course in Memphis Tennessee on June 30th thru July 1st, 2007. This is a 'Women Only' event.
This tournament will be a PDGA sanctioned 'B' tier event. It will also be Southern Nationals sanctioned.
You are invited to play this 'Women Only' tournament. Information will be updated at www.womensdiscgolfassociation.com as steps are finalized.
Contact Cheryl Eldridge or Barbara Daniels with any questions concerning this event.
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Cheryl Eldridge,
WDGA Administrator
Women's Disc Golf Association
cherylal@earthlink.net
(404) 538-0105 cell
(770) 794-0963 home/office
www.womensdiscgolfassociation.com

WOMEN PLAY TOO!!

Join the Women's Disc Golf Association!
203 members as of November 18th, 2007.
[www.womensdiscgolfassociation.com]
We Have Surpassed Our Goal: 200 members by December 25th, 2007
Re: The 2nd Annual WDGA Championships tournament will be held at Budhill in Memphis!
February 26, 2007 06:00PM
Yea..I have been wanting to come play Bud Hill for a while now. I will be putting this one on my calender.

Hey cheryl, how have ya been? I will really be getting the word out about this tourny. Memphis usually gets a good bit of women to there tourny's anyway, this should be a good central location, for most. Hope your doing well, and hope to see ya soon

Michelle "Snap"

pdga# 30918
wdga# 098
Re: The 2nd Annual WDGA Championships tournament will be held at Budhill in Memphis!
February 28, 2007 08:23AM
Great news. I have spoken with Barbara & Danny and I will more than happy to TD this for yall, However I will not have anything to do with it if it is PDGA sanctioned. In case you don't know all they want is our $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and I will not be a part of that. That being said unknown sources have indicated to me that maybe the PDGA isn't as comfortable with this being at the " laid back" BUD HILL. Interesting because "ADDIE" has always had a great time here. Way to go PDGA. You keep buying shovels and eventually you will bury your own @#$%&.
February 28, 2007 02:11PM
Hi Pat,
Wonderful! So happy to have you on board. Thank you.
Due to financial reasons, I may not be able to have
the '2nd Annual WDGA Championships' sanctioned by the
PDGA. However, it will remain Southern National
sanctioned. John has ok'ed it today. Look for it
in your SN tourney section! I hope all of you ladies
will come out for lots of fun and prizes. Danny, Barbara,
me, and all the wonderful volunteers will work hard to
make this the best WDGA tournament EVER!! I look forward
to seeing Addie, Ginger, and Dean again; along with meeting
all you other cool people from the Southern Nationals.
I plan to play the Huntsville '4th Annual Alabama Am's'
in March as well as the 'Dogwood' tournament at Budhill
in May as well.
So, see ya there!
Cheryl~

February 28, 2007 03:14PM
2ND ANNUAL WDGA CHAMPIONSHIPS
-Saturday and Sunday-
June 30 - July 1, 2007
A Southern National Event
"Women Only"
BUDHILL DISC GOLF COURSE
MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE, USA
"Innova Sponsored" (tentitive)
cherylal@earthlink.net
(404) 538-0105 cell
February 28, 2007 04:01PM
Hi Pat,

Always love to hear your support. :) I am overly excited about this event being at the Hill. I do love Memphis and the course. Thank you for remembering that.

Sorry, Cheryl, for the thread drift but I wanted to give Pat some links to help him research his statements:

[www.pdga.com]

[www.pdga.com]

Feel free to call anytime (706-261-6342) with questions/comments instead of posting them on a discussion board. I know it’s easier to do it that way, but you'll get answers quicker by calling. Also there will be no need to get false theories brewing. Aren't we all trying to do the same thing here? Promote the sport we play? No one is better than the other. One day you will be able to understand that.

Hi Cheryl, :)

I was sorry to hear that the event wasn't able to be dual sanctioned, but I understand financial issues. Also, I appreciate the clarification that it wasn't the PDGA that didn't want the event there. I was super glad to see it in Memphis regardless of the sanctioning. There are so many women that aren't able to travel. The event will be quite a success! Good luck to you all.

Hope to see you soon!

Take care,
"ADDIE" :)
February 28, 2007 07:04PM
Addie, I knew you were out there but we haven't heard from you in soooooo long. I think it will be a good time. It will be laid back. Since I can't play anymore I do enjoy watching quality golf. I think this will be the venue of choice in the future also. P.S. Preciate the link. Verrrrrrrry interesting info.
I don't understand that if an organizations primary function is to promote the sport then WHY is the reason it can't be PDGA sanctioned a financial issue.I think that is an oxymoron, but I'm not sure. I didn't go to college.
Cheryl, Call Danny and he will give you my #
I think the tournament at BUD HILL is going to be awesome. This reminds me of a gentleman( I USE THIS TERM LOOSELY) by the name of JIM ORUN who in his own mind thought that a MONOPOLY was wrong and started a little organization referred to as the Southern Nationals and acted on his Whim. Chelyl I think that you have started something that is going to be Great, and guess what, the PDGA can't claim this as their success story.I am so looking forward to helping you achieve your goal of success and having fun that I am beside myself. If this grows like you vision it to do then I'm sure the PDGA will have no problem Taking your money in the future, because that's what they do.
pat hallman
I think the tournament at BUD HILL
is going to be awesome...

Hey Pat,
I really enjoyed our conversation. You make many good points.
I am certainly looking forward to working with you as well.
I am almost finished with the flyer. I will post it here
soon. Thanks for all the encouraging words.
I truly appreciate it.
Cheryl~

In the interest of fairness, it should be noted that PDGA sanctioning was offered to this event by a sponsor at no cost to the tournament but it was turned down by the events organizers. I defer to Cheryl to explain the real reason the event is not dual sanctioned if she so chooses.

We sincerely wish Cherly and all of the ladies of the WDGA, a very successful event!

Regards,
Brian Graham
Epicener Disc Golf Services
It would interest me as to why after we were told of the sanctioning fees\player pack requirements\110% payout\ that an offer was made to forgo\have those expenses paid for. I think that in the interest of the SNDG that Cheryl elected to go with solo sanctioning. We don't have a lot of local PDGA golfers in the Memphis,Tn area, so it would make it a lot easier for Cheryl & Me to run the tournament and not have to deal with the additional requirements that the PDGA sets forth. PS Who was willing to pay all of the PDGA fees?That would interest me greatly, because I'm sure there would be a lot of tournaments that would be interested in that type of assistance.
Pat,

As a preface to this post, let me just say that I am a supporter of both the Southern Nationals and the PDGA and feel that they can co-exist. I ran a PDGA/SN event last year at the Hippodrome and plan on hosting more at the International Disc Golf Center in the future.

Atlanta DGO President, Keith Johnson, and Epicenter Disc Golf Services both offered to pay the PDGA sanctioning fees of the WDGA Championships as sponsorship of the event. Keith works for the PDGA fulfillment house in Alpharetta and Epicenter Disc Golf Services is co-owned by PDGA board member, Pete May, and myself, the new executive director of the PDGA.

According to Cheryl, her decision not to PDGA sanction was a result of pressure put on her by some of the SN folks in Memphis who are helping her with the event. The question then is, why are SN folks claiming that the PDGA does not want to help her when SN folks are in fact the ones who pressured her not to sanction?

As for the tournament guidelines/requirements:

- The sanctioning fee would have been paid by sponsors so that cost cannot be the issue.

- PDGA player fees are deducted from the entry fee before the payout is calculated, just like an SN event, so that cannot be the issue.

- Players package costs are included as part of the payout so that cannot be the issue.

- Is a 110% payout requirement a bad thing? The 110% payout requirement for B-Tiers is very easy to meet without having to raise any additional money due to the difference between the wholesale and retail prices of the amateur prizes. This requirement was implemented so that unscrupulous TD's would not pay the minimum based upon wholesale prices and pocket the rest.

I have no problem with someone choosing not to sanction their event. PDGA sanctioning is not for everyone. I run non-sanctioned events myself sometimes. The problem I have is with folks saying the PDGA did not want to help this event when the facts are that a PDGA employee, PDGA Board member, and the new PDGA executive director all went out of their way to support this event but the SN folks in Memphis discouraged it.

All I am asking is that the SN be fair in regards to the PDGA. Judge the PDGA based upon your personal experiences with the association instead of relying on the comments of others who may have a hidden agenda.

As the new E.D., I will do my best to bridge the gap between the two organizations. I think that we could both benefit from an improved relationship and that the sport of disc golf will be the winner in the long run.

Regards,
Brian Graham
Good post. You sound like you might possibly be the Bridge that has been needed. My opinions are based on "personal experience". I have also ran both PDGA & SNDG events for 15 years now.If you're interested in having a great time playing golf then you must come to Bud Hill the 1st week of May for our tournament, although it will not be a PDGA event I think you will enjoy yourself. Just ask Addie. Peace out & good luck.
March 13, 2007 04:11PM
I have to say this tournament would go from penciled on my schedule to written in magic marker with little stars around it if it were PDGA sanctioned. Not because I think PDGA events are better (you just can't beat that Southern Nationals style) but because I know how many more women will come play the event.

I think making it dual sanctioned will increase the attraction of the event for all participants. Women that typically play PDGA only events will get a chance to experience the fun style of a Southern Nationals event and maybe they'll even spread good word about us when they get back home. The typically SN only players will get to meet and compete with more women golfers than they generally see at 3 SN events combined.

Assuming the offer to sponsor the sanctioning fee is legitimate, and I have to assume it is, I see no valid reason to not make it dual sanctioned. The per-player fee could easily be absorbed through several means so as not to adversely affect the payout. Although I believe most women won't be drawn to the event because of a huge payout. Most women will come just for the opportunity to play with other women!

This is supposed to be a tournament for women disc golfers. I would think those involved in running it would be doing everything in their power to attract as many as they could.

*Getting off the soap box now, although I did enjoy the view from up there.*

Judy
A challenge to all Women disc golfers. Who will commit to coming if it is a PDGA event. Who will commit to come if it is a SNDG only. I don't mean soft promises Girls. I mean let's get the word out. We still have plenty of time.Judy I'm sure you know thru your past experiences that making it a PDGA event is a good bit more work. It's not just about the money.How many big time pro's are coming if there's not substantial cheese on the table.
March 13, 2007 04:27PM
Hi you guys!

I love you all. I miss playing discgolf :( But very soon I will get to again.

Peace & Love
Lori Maxwell
Hi everyone,
I'm here. Just got online. Getting caught up.
I will add my post in a little bit.
Can someone remind me how to add an image
here? I have the flyer ready.
Thanks,
Cheryl~

The original and continuing goal of the WDGA is to
bring female disc golfers together, comunicating and
planning together, to grow the number per division
per tournament. That is the WDGA's top priority.

I have always supported the PDGA. I am new to
the Southern Nationals and choose to support
it as well. My initial plans were to dual
sanction. Then some interesting opinions
arose from the generous people offering
their services to help the WDGA to grow.
I am bound by honor to respect those
whom are assisting me at their own
discretion. If the majority of the
group assisting me in this important
tournament wish not to dual sanction,
then I respect that. This does not
reflect, in any way, my personal
view of the PDGA or the SN series.

I am working hard to better disc golf.
I know you all are too. That is what
matters. I wish we could all just
scratch one another's backs when
the need arises.

To note, the PDGA representitive
did offer to cover the B-tier
sanctioning
costs for the 2nd Annual WDGA
Championships. I have declined
their offer, for reasons explained
above. Thank you for listening.

Cheryl Eldridge,
WDGA Administrator~

Cheryl, I have secured $200 sponsor from our friends in Little Rock.Things are going well.
March 14, 2007 12:43PM
Couldn't sponsorship money be used to pay the non-member PDGA fees? I know that could cut into other things, but so is taking it from the players' entry fees. I'm not playing, but my wife wants to. She is a PDGA member so the fee is not an issue. I wish Keith would cover the sanctioning fee for an event here! ;) I'm still curious to see how well we could draw with a PDGA C-Tier event in Florence, since we used to run so many of them in the past.

Pat, if my wife still wants to play in this in June, I'll be glad to help you out with spotting, scorecards, etc. Just let me know. Will likely be at Tha Hill in May!

rWc3523
pat hallman
Cheryl, I have secured $200 sponsor from our friends in Little Rock.Things are going well.
Great! Pat. Please express my gratitude to them.
And of course, THANK YOU! I have received $100 so far.
This is going to be a fun tournament!!!
Cheryl~

2ND ANNUAL WDGA CHAMPIONSHIPS
-Saturday and Sunday-
June 30 - July 1, 2007
A Southern National Event
"Women Only"
BUDHILL DISC GOLF COURSE
MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE
cherylal@earthlink.net
(404) 538-0105 cell
FLYER: Click and Scroll to bottom of
thread-------
[sndg.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2007 01:52PM by cherylal.
Russ, Could always use the help.99% chance it will be SNDG only.Cheryl is fairly new at this tournament gig thing so I will do all I can to help. She had about 60 commitments last year from all the PDGA players and a whopping 18 showed up so Me & The Daniel's have recommended only SNDG this year. It's a lot less complicated without the PDGA paperwork thing. No offense to them but we're kinda partial to the SNDG. So far sponsors are rollin in but only if it's SNDG.
The "Be" Attitudes*

Be understanding to your perceived enemies.
Be loyal to your friends.
Be strong enough to face the world each day.
Be weak enough to know you cannot do everything alone.
Be generous to those who need your help.

Be frugal with that you need to "KNOW" yourself.
Be wise enough to know that you do not know everything.
Be foolish enough to believe in miracles.
Be eager to share your joys.
Be willing to share the sorrows of others.

Be a leader when you see a path others have missed.
Be a follower when you are shrouded by the mists of uncertainty.
Be first to congratulate an opponent who succeeds.
Be last to criticize a colleague who fails.
Be sure where your next step will fall, so that you will not tumble.

Be sure of your final destination, in case you are on the wrong path.
Be loving to those who love you.
Be loving to those who do not love you; they may change.
Be friendly to strangers.
Be a shoulder to cry on.

*Above all, be the best "YOU" you can be!*

Visit The Be Attitudes website!
[www.thebeattitudes.com]
March 14, 2007 03:29PM
I understand completely, Pat. Looks like Beth wants to come and she doesn't play many events, so we'll show up and I can hang out and consume frosty beverages and spot, help, whatever. rWc3523
March 14, 2007 03:36PM
Pat

You Know I LIVE IN NORTH LITTLE ROCK. LOL

The Sponsorship comes from my business ABBY ROAD NORTH

Good Luck cheryl I look forward to talking to you. I have alot of thoughts and advice to offer but I don't have the time right now.

Peace, Love & Discgolf!
Lori Maxwell
Thank you so much Lori. The WDGA appreciates your kindness.
Contact me anytime.
Cheryl Eldridge,
WDGA Administrator
cherylal@earthlink.net
I would definately support the WDGA championships. I think it is a great idea. Unfortunately, the date falls on an "A" tier weekend so the majority of the top female golfers will be in MN for the Majestic. I talked to Burl about it and she is sorry she won't be able to go. She did ask me to say that Memphis golfers are the "cream of the crop." She really enjoyed her time there (thanks Danny and Barbara). Best of luck to all the ladies. I won't be able to make it as I am down in Houston now.

Emily
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 26
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013