Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

10/01/08 BOD Meeting Minutes

Posted by Hilltopper 
Re: 10/01/08 BOD Meeting Minutes
October 15, 2008 02:15PM
How about TD's decide. Head took it upon himself to tell someone that it is a rule to be DQ'd if the scorecard wasn't turned in.

Terry Zeringue
October 15, 2008 02:22PM
I sure did as did I announce that it would happen in the players meeting. I have my guidlelines that a TD gave to me that has been running tournaments well before I was born and I take anything he says as being what the best thing is. There needs to be a rule about lost card or not turned in card. I announced DQ in players meeting.

And I never said that that was the rule. I said it was going to happen in the players meeting. Since there is no stated rule then I did nothing wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 02:24PM by head.
October 15, 2008 02:24PM
TDs decide what? To run each event differently? To decide which rules to follow and which rules to ignore? Be a little more clear, please.

Why not just follow the PDGA rules of disc golf?

rWc3523
October 15, 2008 02:28PM
Well, that is how the 2 meter rule and generally all OB is handled now so it's not impossible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
October 15, 2008 03:01PM
Both of those issues are covered in the PDGA rule book. rWc3523
October 15, 2008 03:29PM
I for one like Zinger's idea and I think I will begin announcing that the SN and PDGA dress code are NOT in effect or will NOT be enforced at ANY Lake Lowndes event that I run.

Seeing as our next event is the Ice Bowl, who's up for some IronMan polar bear golf?

Jeff H

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 03:30PM by cajundop.
October 15, 2008 03:38PM
Are you serious? You dont think everyone needs to have a shirt on in a sanctioned tournament. so a TD can pick what rules to follow so he could announce that there can be drinking and smoking pot allowed at and during the tournament.

Here is your scorecard and pencil and O yes take this doobie with you and make sure you puff puff pass.

this wouldnt work so we need a set rule list and the rule book should be it and all rules should be followed. I dont think we should be able to pick and choose.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 03:42PM by head.
October 15, 2008 03:45PM
Sounds like anarchy to me.

Maybe Jeff is just joking.

If not, a TD who chooses not to enforce rules duly approved by the SN board would set a precedent allowing other TDs to similarly ignore other rules.

Which leads to this, why have a board if some folks in the SN decide simply not to follow the rules THEIR BOARD has established. Or will the SN simply follow "popular" rules?

But like I said, Jeff could be joking. We all know his sense of humor! ;)

rWc3523
October 15, 2008 04:03PM
Drinking is allowed at some tournaments during the round. The used to be Mardi Gras Madness which is now the Pot of Gold has alcohol. It is legal in the park to have it. These tournaments were SN as well as PDGA and high up PDGA people have attended a trny or two.

Jeff, I'll show up if you'll do it. :O)

Like I said before,, MattO didn't have a problem taking his shirt off at our Doyles Bayou trny,,,,guess he made the sport look bad LMAO.

Terry Zeringue
October 15, 2008 04:08PM
its not just about the shirts, its all rules in general

They all need to be followed no matter who is playing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 04:08PM by head.
October 15, 2008 04:13PM
I do believe that a TD should be allowed to suspend rules for events. I have done it in the past for our Ironman Doubles. I allowed players to alter discs in order to make them visible at night for the glow round.

Other TD's have been doing it for years by stating that the 2 meter rule would not be in effect or by calling certain standing water as casual even though it is there most of the year. Or creating arbitrary and not safety minded out of bounds to toughen a course. At almost EVERY event there are course rules that supercede the standard rules of play. There is a provision in the PDGA rule book for it. In fact there is a provision in the PDGA sanctioning system; they call them X-tier events.

Do I have a problem with drinking during a round? Not if it is legal on the course. Do I have a problem with smoking pot during a round? Again not if it is legal on the course (granted there is no course in the US where it is so it isn't allowed.) Those two rules most often come into play because they are illegal on the course. That should be a matter for law enforcement, not tournament directors. As a TD I want to tabulate scores and award prizes, not be someone's babysitter to make sure they follow a gazillion rules and regulations.

Guys, ultimately when a player is playing in a disc golf event it is that player playing against the course. What the people around a player are doing should NOT affect that player's play? If they do something unintentionally that affects him/her it is that player's fault for letting it get to him/her. If they do something intentionally then it is the offenders fault, and they should be stroked. We OFTEN lose sight of the fact that we are not competing against each other, we are competing against the course to see who can beat the the course the best.

If someone doesn't want to wear a shirt during the round, that doesn't bother me (yes even if it is someone as skinny as John Sellars or as large as Jamie Massengale, I don't care.) If they are not breaking a law, I don't care.

Let's look at your rule a different way:
your rule states from the minutes:

1. Voted 5-0 in favor of requiring players to wear a shirt, shoes, and pants/skirts. Bikini tops will not be considered shirts.

Judy and I always wear shoes, shirts, and appropriate pants/shorts when we play. One day we started a round dressed appropriately at PRCC's course. 4 holes into the round Judy brushed up against an ant bed that was set at the top of stump and got ants all over her shirt. She had to take her shirt off and her shirt was unwearable until we could wash it. Now hole 4 is pretty far away from where we park. She had a sports bra underneath it and she wasn't showing anything indecent; her clothes were appropriate in today's society. She chose to play in her sports bra until we could get closer to the car when she could get another shirt (I think around hole 9 or 10.)

According to your rule, if this was a tournament she would be penalized. I don't think that is fair. How about the person that gets off in the briars and catches their shirt and rips it so badly that it starts to affect their arm swing (I've been there and done that?) What about the player who wades in to get another player's disc and his/her shoes are wet so they carry them instead of sploshing around the rest of the round (done this one as well over topping my waterproofs?)

I agree that we all want to better the image of disc golf, but do we want to do that by running off some of the most avid players we have? Some of our most avid players are the no shirt wearing, cigarette smoking, 6 pack of beer per round players. They are the ones working hard to get the courses ready for tournaments. They are the ones buying most of the sponsor discs to help build those pro payouts. They are the ones introducing new people to the sport all of the time. I've seen that player at most of the courses I've played, from San Diego to Michigan, to Chickasaw, AL.

So here is my suggestion to fix it:

If you want to setup a tier system for the tournaments and make our highest tier events have a dress code, I am all for it. That would provide prestige, focus, and some importance to those events and the media and public might be more interested. If you want to enforce a dress code on the championships, I am all for it. But the everyday tournaments that are run throughout the southeast so that the locals can entertain a few out of towners on the home course, the dress code should be up to the locals. That's my opinion.

Jeff H
October 15, 2008 04:17PM
And Russ. I am not joking. I believe in following good rules that a have a sound fundamental reasoning behind them. The engineer in me likes logic.

I also believe if telling the makers of dumb rules to fly a kite and go my own way. Can't say I make a lot of friends that way in the higher ups, and that's also why I'll never work in big business corporate America.

Jeff H
October 15, 2008 04:19PM
TheZinger
Jeff, I'll show up if you'll do it. :O)

Don't count on it! :p *jab jab jab*

October 15, 2008 04:26PM
Jeff makes some very good points, but I'd never penalize any woman for playing in a sports bra! ;) I'll elaborate more later. rWc3523
October 15, 2008 04:42PM
A tier system is how the PDGA does it so the SN cant do that because then we would be like the PDGA. And we forbid anything that the PDGA does but we use the rule book they have made to go by. Seems kinda ironic to me.
October 15, 2008 04:45PM
Sarcasm, the answer to everything.

October 15, 2008 04:49PM
Truth hurts, don't it?

rWc3523
October 15, 2008 04:50PM
I was not trying to be sarcastic. I totally agree with Jeff. But its true, the SN will not adopt anything that the PDGA has.
October 15, 2008 04:55PM
I really don't understand that mentality. rWc3523

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2008 05:26PM by Russ3523.
October 15, 2008 06:29PM
I dont have that mentality but that is what I get out of everything that gets discussed about taking stuff from the PDGA and utilizing it in the SN tour.
October 15, 2008 07:08PM
I know you don't, Matt, but there are many around the SN who do. A lot of folks seem to follow their lead. I had a pleasant experience with the PDGA event I ran last year and intend to run another one this coming year, maybe two!

rWc3523
October 15, 2008 07:09PM
If I am off that weekend I will be there
October 15, 2008 08:13PM
Guys, chill out! Jeff, if you want to suspend the rule, suspend the rule, that's the way the SN has always run. THERE IS NO PENALTY FOR THIS RULE! IT IS ALREADY LISTED AS A COURTESY VIOLATION BY THE PDGA! So NOTHING has changed. The only difference is that we are asking TD's to take note by PUBLISHING what the standard should IDEALLY be.

The only rule that the SN BOD has said can not be suspended in any circumstance is the use of illegal drugs.

Josh
October 15, 2008 08:23PM
Russ3523
Truth hurts, don't it?

rWc3523

LOL, wow... you suprise me over and over.

ww
October 16, 2008 01:33PM
head
I was not trying to be sarcastic. I totally agree with Jeff. But its true, the SN will not adopt anything that the PDGA has.

This is absoulutely the most inane and moronic post this board has ever seen.

Congrats!
October 16, 2008 02:00PM
Maybe but it is true there is too much hate going on from both sides to accomplish anything. I feel like the hatred between the SN and PDGA is hurting disc golf in general. But I guess I am just a moron so what do I know. The sport of disc golf will never change and will never grow as long as we keep the mentality that is in place today.

I resign myself from the board because I have diff views on how to clean up and better the sport. And another moron can try but I am done. Maybe one of the posters on this forum can have my spot because I dont care anymore. Why even have a board because the board cant accomplish anything when no one wants them to.

Josh, Barb, Will, Don, and Mike I am sorry and this has nothing to do with you. But I cannot be on the board anymore. I love disc golf and I love to play in tournaments but all this bickering and childish jabs at people are taking the fun out of it for me. I dont have a problem with anyone. I am probably the easiest person to get along with and I have no want to be mad at anyone or have people that I would not know if I saw them be mad at me. So this is my resignation and as far as rules and regulations no one on this forum will here my opinions. Opinions are like A$$ holes and mine stinks like everyone elses.

And I am sure that I will be bashed for this and made fun of but I could care less what anyone on this forum thinks about me because I do not know any of you. The ones that do know me for the person that I am not by what they think that I may be. I am going back to just having fun with a sport that I fell in love with in college and I hope the best for the board and the sport. No hard feelings to anyone because I do not hate people or dislike people I have never met.

Thank You

Matthew
ww
October 16, 2008 02:10PM
Jeebus Christ, I said the statement was moronic. I never took a jab at you.

The Southern Nationals is supposed to be fun. If it's legal, go all out. HAVE FUN. Do you think the Southern Nationals is the reason disc golf isn't on national television? Not one dam bit. It isn't national because it is boring sport to watch on TV unless you play it. And the TV production we have right now is so god-awful, it never will be national.

The PDGA is THE governing body for this sport. The Southern Nationals is tournament series. That is ALL. It should not be considered an alternative to the PDGA. Ever.

The sooner some of you realize this, the better our series of good-ol-boy tournaments that culminate into one of the highest paying tournaments in the world will be.
October 16, 2008 02:16PM
Oh well, there goes a good board member.

Time for some of you forum posters to step up and put your money where your mouths are.

rWc3523
October 16, 2008 02:28PM
I never looked at it as an alternative I was stating that was the mindset of so many SN players. Which is SAD!
October 16, 2008 02:37PM
matthew it is tuff sometimes to take the abuse or whatever you want to call it; it really don't mean a hill of beans to me; you just have to sort it all out and do the right things and make the right choices; anyway i hope you step back take a look and continue your journey as a board member (thick skin my friend) anyway i do not accept your resignation as of now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

DJ
Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013