Alabama   •   Arkansas   •   Florida   •   Georgia   •   Kentucky   •   Louisiana   •   Mississippi   •   Oklahoma   •   Tennessee   •   Texas
Welcome! » Log In » Create A New Profile

The gift of math: SN ratings

Posted by Anonymous User 
Anonymous User
The gift of math: SN ratings
October 12, 2009 05:08PM
Dear Most Revered and Holy Southern National Board of Directors:

The other day someone on the forum acted like it was an incredible act of sorcery when I calculated estimated ratings for a recent SN event. While having high-school level math ability does seem to be magic to many disc golfers in the southern USA, it really wasn't that complicated for me to calculate estimated round ratings, and I'd like to offer my services to calculate SN ratings to the SN BoD.

If the esteemed and holy Directors agree with me that a ratings system for the SN would add value to SN sanctioning, it would be useful for the BoD to ask SN tournament directors to indicate which divisions played on what courses in order for SN ratings to be more accurate. I can start calculating some round ratings for a few past events by knowing what courses were played at those events. Perhaps the wonderful and most gracious and pious SN BoD could contact SN TDs past and future and tell them that if they want SN ratings calculated for their tournaments they need to provide us with that information? It would be most righteous and benevolent.

I ask no monetary compensation for my time---while it will take some time, it's not as difficult as some believe and I would like to continue giving back to the sport. We can talk about special favors that you could give me though, like the kind you currently give to Memphis or Jim Orum all the time.

Let me know what you think about this proposal.

Mike Kernan, SN volunteer
Anonymous User
Re: The gift of math: SN ratings
October 13, 2009 07:35PM
maybe I overestimated the enthusiasm to having SN ratings...

October 14, 2009 06:45PM
mikey i think it's your sarcasm; so try again.
Anonymous User
October 14, 2009 07:35PM
No, I think I will just follow in the footsteps of so many of the SN Board Members and just quit. Anyway I heard someone else who needs to be popular is working on it already, so I will wait and see if that character can follow through.
October 14, 2009 09:49PM
I had it already set up for almost every course in SN country (long, med, Short tees) but couldnt get it thru
October 14, 2009 10:37PM
I have run faux pdga ratings for several events, including for events I TD’d, for the MS Rep USDGC qualification one year,
and for other persons who have asked me to. The calculation is not rocket science. It takes a solid spreadsheet formula setup
and then the calculations are automatic. I have yet to refuse to run ratings for any TD with a results spreadsheet.

The main reason I never offered to do it for the SN is the amount of work it takes to keep up with the official ratings of the
propagators. I thought that would require more time than I could commit to. Of course if the PDGA or Chuck Kennedy would
distribute the spreadsheet after each update that would solve the problem. Dream on right.

The other thing that a ratings generator would need would be event results by spreadsheet so no (or very little) actual data
input would be required. I wonder how many SN TD’s do not submit a results spreadsheet from which results data could just
be yanked and dropped in. There would still be issues of player name variance and the best solution to that would be
assignment of a SN member number.

So maybe some of these things are what Matthew “couldn’t get thru”. Otherwise, no one can really stop you from running
ratings for every event. You don’t need permission or a board vote.

Now how they might be applied in the series is a different story. That is where you will find actual opposition, not just apathy.

I do have one question about Bluff’s picture though. Shouldn’t those seats be empty?
Anonymous User
October 15, 2009 08:11PM
No, I don't need permission, but for more accurate ratings I would need those excel files of which you speak, counselor. And that would require actual work on the part of the BoD, who continue to prove that they aren't really interested in work. With the possible exception of the last-place vote getter, how ironic. SN voters are as dumb as beans.
October 15, 2009 08:25PM
mike your doing good but stop the SARCASM!!!!!!!!! AND FOLKS MIGHT HEAR YA!!!!
October 15, 2009 08:32PM
Bluff you want the excell files I'll email them to you
October 15, 2009 09:29PM
Looks like Bluff puff to me, but I still appreciate it. The Bluff persona pokes and prods and begs the question with valid points. He knows you can only expect so much from overloaded volunteers. He still makes the time to at least jam some truth into the issues of the day. He gives us some of the most educational entertainment in the disc golf world. So rock on Bluffy Magee, cause freedom’s just another word for nothing left to loose.

[www.youtube.com]
October 15, 2009 11:11PM
Then let your last place vote getter gather them for you and quit your da*mn bi*tch*ing

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2009 11:12PM by Russ3523.
October 15, 2009 11:16PM
Coincidently, I was just about to post that I would send you all the tournament excel files I receive if you would like.

It would take all of 30 seconds to forward the email and it would be my pleasure sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Take me to the window and understand
I got a rocking chair in my skin.
And every time the wind blows
It brings me down to meet the mood I'm in.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SN Top25 Bag Tag database
BRDGA Top10 Bag Tag database
MADGA Top10 Bag Tag database
SFC Top10 Bag Tag database
October 16, 2009 12:37PM
I'll have to ask Will if he's even been ASKED for any Excel files by the great one. If he has and has not complied, THEN the almighty can complain.

rWc3523
Anonymous User
October 16, 2009 05:37PM
I thought Will had changed his last name now that he's reached the age of consent. Would anyone blame him if he did?

Anyway, I haven't actually asked anyone for any results files as if you would READ, Mr. Corey, alleged journalist/writer/expert on the written word, I was attempting to determine if there was an actual interest in SN ratings before embarking on the details.

Ginger, do you have any files at the moment or could you re-produce them from the tournament results page? If so, could ya send me the files from all the Louisiana tournaments from the past two seasons? A couple of past and present BoD members insist that no one wants to see SN ratings, but I'm willing to bet if I produce some they'll change their tune.
October 16, 2009 07:04PM
Send me your email and I will do it.

October 18, 2009 04:06PM
I'll send you all the excel files from the last 4 seasons, however you'll have to wait until February for them. I think ratings are fun but I don't know if I'd want to follow the pdag in using ratings to determine where people should play. But it would give more information so players can make that choice intelligently :)

Good luck
JOhn k
October 18, 2009 07:38PM
i agree john; ratings should be for the individual only; but sadly it will only lead to more complaining as far as sandbagging which i don't believe in anyway.
Anonymous User
October 18, 2009 09:36PM
Is that what the fuss is about, using ratings for determining divisions? Yes, that is completely stupid on the pDGA's part. It would be completely stupid on the SN's part as well---is that why Matt and Allan claim that the SN didn't want to help them implement a ratings system?

Ratings should only be used for entertainment only.
October 19, 2009 07:43AM
entertainment is a GREAT!!!! word.
October 19, 2009 09:22PM
I think the rating in the SN would be accurate for SN use as the rating are determined by what competition is at the tournament. Everyone says that SN players are in too high of a division if they played in pdga tournaments, but I bet you that my SN rating would fall into the cat of a midlevel advance player, the pdga rating shows that i'm a rec player.

Terry Zeringue
Lex
October 20, 2009 12:04PM
I would have to agree, you are the epitome of mediocrity. ;-)

225-268-9315

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/2009 12:56PM by Lex.
October 20, 2009 12:06PM
Yeah Zinger... whatever "mediocroty" is. ;)

October 20, 2009 07:14PM
The BOD discussion was centered on using ratings to determine divisions (last year). Anyone who wants to post their own rating system is more than welcome to do so. In fact the BOD last year just asked Matthew to do it for a year before any decisions would be made on using them in any capacity.

Josh
October 22, 2009 08:17PM
TheZinger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think the rating in the SN would be accurate for
> SN use as the rating are determined by what
> competition is at the tournament. Everyone says
> that SN players are in too high of a division if
> they played in pdga tournaments, but I bet you
> that my SN rating would fall into the cat of a
> midlevel advance player, the pdga rating shows
> that i'm a rec player.

Wouldn't we have to play predominately PDGA players to find this out???
October 23, 2009 02:36AM
Dillon_Gourley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TheZinger Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think the rating in the SN would be accurate
> for
> > SN use as the rating are determined by what
> > competition is at the tournament. Everyone
> says
> > that SN players are in too high of a division
> if
> > they played in pdga tournaments, but I bet you
> > that my SN rating would fall into the cat of a
> > midlevel advance player, the pdga rating shows
> > that i'm a rec player.
>
> Wouldn't we have to play predominately PDGA
> players to find this out???

Not if we want SN ratings, then we would have to play predominately SN tournaments to see where SN players rank IN the SN

Terry Zeringue
October 24, 2009 11:46AM
^ I see what you're saying now.
November 16, 2009 05:19PM
Ratings are infotainment and an ego salve.

Most folks can't putt that well regardless of statistical anomalies.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 71
Record Number of Users: 19 on January 14, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 244 on February 20, 2013